Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mahoning posted:

So Ohio has a law where if a school district is in a state of emergency for long enough, the state basically takes over and names a "CEO" (god, Republicans are the worst) that replaces the superintendent and works alongside the school board. THEN, if after another set amount of time the school district STILL isn't hitting its goals or whatever, the state basically says gently caress you to the democratically elected school board and the governor appoints a brand new school board.

The first part happened to Youngstown City Schools around 3 or 4 years ago and the second part happened just this week.

I know administrators and school boards are garbage and/or crazy a lot of the times (that's the nature of democracy I guess, the people can elect incompetent morons) but I can assure you the answer to these problems is not running the school district like a business, which is what the Ohio GOP is essentially doing. Nevermind that the city of Youngstown's problems with poverty are the primary reason the school district suffers so much, not the leadership.

Yeah, this is the opposite of what is needed.

I may be too harsh on school admin, but I will continue to see them as part of the problem when more money goes to admin staff thandoes teachers salaries. I also see coaches driving Beamers and also see stories of kid that don't get to eat lunch at the same loving school, so its not ALL at the district or government level.

Reginald Tax:

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ershalim posted:

I'm not sure if this would work (and it likely wouldn't) but would it be possible for schools to order necessary things on credit and them simply fail to pay for them to force the issue to public attention? In the event a school becomes insolvent, what happens? Do they just shut down? Are the cities that don't have public schools any more?

schools dont have credit cards. as public agencies schools are allocated a budget yearly by whatever local authority controls them, whether that's a city or a county or a parish or whatever. all yearly financial expenditure happens within that budget allocation, meaning schools get tight fisted by necessity of having no money. the local authority can adjust that budget yearly, most frequently by tampering with the property tax millage rate, but this often needs to get voted on and good luck with that by asking local residents to increase taxes on themselves for the public good

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I may be too harsh on school admin, but I will continue to see them as part of the problem when more money goes to admin staff thandoes teachers salaries. I also see coaches driving Beamers and also see stories of kid that don't get to eat lunch at the same loving school, so its not ALL at the district or government level.

talking about corrupt administration is the exact rhetoric people use to justify charter school takeovers of public institutions

meanwhile, local control of school funding is the entire foundation of segregation in america today, the source from which many other ills flow, so trying to impose pay cuts on people working in the central office (many of whom were or are teachers!) is an easier ask then fundamental reform of local government structure

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 15, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, this is the opposite of what is needed.

football being prioritized over feeding children will, generally, also be a policy of the local government and the local community, because it's full of assholes

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.

Shrecknet posted:

On a scale of 1 to "Attacking Jackie Chan in a ladder factory while he's holding a baby and already told you he doesn't want any trouble," how dumb is this administration?

Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez was kicked into a stack of barrels which then fell on him years ago.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

luxury handset posted:

schools dont have credit cards. as public agencies schools are allocated a budget yearly by whatever local authority controls them, whether that's a city or a county or a parish or whatever. all yearly financial expenditure happens within that budget allocation, meaning schools get tight fisted by necessity of having no money. the local authority can adjust that budget yearly, most frequently by tampering with the property tax millage rate, but this often needs to get voted on and good luck with that by asking local residents to increase taxes on themselves for the public good

It gets worse because a lot of schools are funded by property taxes so if you aren't in a place with wealthy white people around then you are in financial straits right out the gate.

edit: Or white people in general. Though this rule is less applicable in hellworlds like Kentucky, but a hellworld white Kentucky school is still better funded than a school in Kentucky with primarily minorities

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

football being prioritized over feeding children will, generally, also be a policy of the local government and the local community, because it's full of assholes

:smith:

It's one of the many reasons why we need to de-couple school funding from property taxes and have more national funding for schools.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

UnknownTarget posted:

Edit: whoa, was looking at the wrong page. Can I delete? This post was in response to "why doesn't the school just buy a bunch of stuff on credit, fail to pay and then force it into the public attention".

No post deletion, but it's pretty typical forums etiquette to edit a post down to a quick "whups" explanation if you want to retract something, accidentally double post, or whatever. In threads that move quick, it's no big deal to be responding to a post from a few pages back.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

skylined! posted:

Just a heads up, the hard dollar amount *is* the highest it's been, however adjusted for inflation it doesn't look all that impressive. It's also barely up a few grand, adjusted for inflation, from loving *1999*

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4280594-median-household-income-june-2019

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N

Speaking of FRED what happened to the poster who used to work there? Anyone remember his name?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Here's a thought, maybe schools should be given enough money that they don't have to choose between offering sports programs and feeding children, instead of making one of those things the enemy of the other. And maybe teachers, as college-educated professionals with difficult jobs, should in fact be allowed to earn enough money that they can afford a decent car without people going, "those loving overpaid pricks." And maybe administrators should be allowed to get on with the business of managing a large organization under a lot of different constraints and pressures, without being treated as useless parasites.

We don't have to pick just one or two of these things to accomplish, we can do the whole lot!

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/15/syrian-kurdish-fighters-mount-counterattack-turkish-sdf-network-of-tunnels/

Kurdish Fighters Mount Counterattack Using Network of Tunnels

Foreign Policy posted:

The Kurdish fighters “are famous for developing innovative ways to fight a more advanced army,” said a senior U.S. administration official, adding that “the Turks have been surprised by their effectiveness.”

In the last 24 hours, the SDF has recaptured much of the border town of Ras al-Ain and pushed Turkish proxy forces from the strategic M4 highway, which runs through northern Syria and Iraq, according to a source with the Syrian Democratic Council (SDC), the SDF’s political arm. During the battle for Ras al-Ain, the SDF killed 103 fighters with the Free Syrian Army, a decentralized band of Syrian rebels with links to violent extremist groups, the source said.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

luxury handset posted:

Oh, okay... this might be a dumb follow-up, but how does that work in practice re: food? I'm not super versed in logistics, but I think most school lunches are outsourced to catering companies, so are they just contractually obligated to bring X amount of food per week and paid up front? Is the school being reimbursed by the money given to them by students buying lunches? It feels like there's something, somewhere in the chain where there's some service being provided on faith before it's paid for. Where does that happen? Is the school paying for the service weekly with money pre-allocated during the setting of the budget?

I dunno. I guess getting mired in the specifics might detract from the overall message of "someone should be feeding the kids." It's just that protests that gently caress with money are almost always responded to more quickly than those that don't.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

Exactly, schools don't just get a pile of money which they can allocate however they want. Instead the board drafts a budget that splits it all up by departments in a way that prevents doing things like firing coaches to pay teachers.

School boards are elected and the members know cutting sports will endanger their re-election so they make sure not to do it.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

It would really be par for the course for this hell dimension if Trumps stupidity finally got the Kurds a nation-state that was recognized.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

Here's a thought, maybe schools should be given enough money that they don't have to choose between offering sports programs and feeding children, instead of making one of those things the enemy of the other. And maybe teachers, as college-educated professionals with difficult jobs, should in fact be allowed to earn enough money that they can afford a decent car without people going, "those loving overpaid pricks." And maybe administrators should be allowed to get on with the business of managing a large organization under a lot of different constraints and pressures, without being treated as useless parasites.

We don't have to pick just one or two of these things to accomplish, we can do the whole lot!

If schools were funded the way the F-35 was funded I would agree.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Maybe no high school needs a Jumbotron brand giant screen for football. Maybe not all administrators are actually useful positions or hires.

Maybe there are things we're spending our finite resources on that we just shouldn't do.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Pellisworth posted:

Cow pregnancy rates

Is there a governmental or industry source that tracks these kinda numbers that people can look at? This is interesting and some googling is giving me a few stories supporting the notion that this is gonna be a widespread thing, but there's obviously gonna be a bias against publishing "yep, everything looks normal" reports unless it's a reglarly published thing anyway.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pffffthahahahaha

I used to work for a school district that was facing severe budget shortfalls. They started cutting foreign language teachers before they grudgingly cut three of the nine(!) football coaches.

How DARE you threaten the future of my wonderful boy getting a full-ride scholarship to my Alma Mater so he can go on to become a Superstar making billions! Won't even get drafted. What does he need to learn Spanish for anyways? I don't want to hit one.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe no high school needs a Jumbotron brand giant screen for football. Maybe not all administrators are actually useful positions or hires.

Maybe there are things we're spending our finite resources on that we just shouldn't do.

Maybe children shouldn't even play football because it's been proven to lead to a lot of brain injury and our kids shouldn't be smacking their heads into stuff and getting small concussions every time. High School Football shouldnt be a loving thing considering how much we know and are learning about how bad it is for the brain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Taerkar posted:

How DARE you threaten the future of my wonderful boy getting a full-ride scholarship to my Alma Mater so he can go on to become a Superstar making billions! Won't even get drafted

its not usually the parents of kids who are the problem

the problem is the old coot who likes the football games because he remembers playing sports and doesn't give a gently caress about anything that doesn't personally benefit him

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

PT6A posted:

It's like convincing people to pay for roads with their taxes. Everyone wants functional transportation or human capital in society, but no one wants to pay for it especially the libertarians who believe in homeschool and toll roads.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If schools were funded the way the F-35 was funded I would agree.

Excellent, then why did you disagree with my post that we should blame the people who are responsible for the funding, rather than the people forced to divide inadequate funding?

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, I've never seen a high school with a jumbotron and I'm gonna need evidence that public schools are doing this, because it sounds suspiciously like a "welfare queen driving a cadillac and using food stamps to buy lobster" sort of bullshit rumour. If that's happening, you are absolutely correct that it's very wrong, but I have my doubts that it is in fact happening.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
uhhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1184139916332195843?s=20

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

loving good

I hope the Kurds run circles around the Turkish army and push them into the Mediterranean

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just mapping the timing in my head, here's what I'd predict for beef prices assuming no other "disruptions" which is not a safe assumption:

2020 - lower prices due to sell-off
'21-22 - higher prices due to shortages, this smaller generation of calves will hit the market in spring 2021
'23 - earliest theoretical recovery, realistically probably take a couple more good years to fully recover

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ewiley posted:

It's like convincing people to pay for roads with their taxes. Everyone wants functional transportation or human capital in society, but no one wants to pay for it especially the libertarians who believe in homeschool and toll roads.

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. Unfortunately its intrinsically against our capitalistic upbringing. Now we are seeing the results of a society based/driven by greed.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I've never seen a high school with a jumbotron and I'm gonna need evidence that public schools are doing this, because it sounds suspiciously like a "welfare queen driving a cadillac and using food stamps to buy lobster" sort of bullshit rumour. If that's happening, you are absolutely correct that it's very wrong, but I have my doubts that it is in fact happening.

It's not exactly common, but you'll pull plenty from a quick google search, starting with the exact states you'd expect.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

Those sorts of expenditures tend to be funded by the booster club.

Which is usually just a way to obfuscate dodging those pesky title-IX requirements that men's and women's sports get equal funding.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

gently caress, thank christ nobody was hurt

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Own the libs kids

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

PT6A posted:

Here's a thought, maybe schools should be given enough money that they don't have to choose between offering sports programs and feeding children, instead of making one of those things the enemy of the other. [snip]

We know enough about the impact of brain injuries to know high schools should not - under /any/ circumstance - have a Football Team.

e:f;b

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 15, 2019

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PT6A posted:

Just Google "High school Jumbotrons”

HS Football is nuts in some states. It boggles the mind.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 15, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

We just need to arm teachers with their own grenades, QED

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

to be...I don't wanna say 'fair' because we shouldn't be 'fair' for this...but I guess maybe less worrying...an 'IED' can be anything from a real dangerous bomb to a small home made firework someone was loving with so if no one was hurt hopefully it was just a small thing that spooked people rightfully.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Given the lack of details I wonder how likely it was Diet Coke/Mentos or a works bomb or some other kid stuff.

OTOH, the world is terrible.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

PT6A posted:

Excellent, then why did you disagree with my post that we should blame the people who are responsible for the funding, rather than the people forced to divide inadequate funding?

:hmbol:

I feel like I ask myself this every time you post, but you're Canadian, right?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eviltastic posted:

Is there a governmental or industry source that tracks these kinda numbers that people can look at? This is interesting and some googling is giving me a few stories supporting the notion that this is gonna be a widespread thing, but there's obviously gonna be a bias against publishing "yep, everything looks normal" reports unless it's a reglarly published thing anyway.

Yeah ag reports. NPR has a show on in rural areas that covers all this and more.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/

https://www.farmjournal.com/

Course how useful those will be going forward is anybody's guess since Trump decided to put his own special touch on fact-based reporting in this area.
Trump Has Gutted an Agency That’s Vital to American Farmers

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 15, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

eviltastic posted:

I'm sure there has to be since pregnancy rate is literally your "crop yield" for beef and is the supply side of the price for beef. I dunno when it would be published, ranchers are right now preg-checking and selling off animals for the winter. My info is just word of mouth from the local vet who has been doing rounds preg-checking, she said it was a widespread regional phenomenon. My dad has worked on the ranch for 60 years and this is the worst pregnancy rate in his memory so I'd expect it will be a significant price shock.

I would guess official numbers would be released by USDA and the industry in the next month or two.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Uglycat posted:

We know enough about the impact of brain injuries to know high schools should not - under /any/ circumstance - have a Football Team.

Yes, I agree, I was talking about sports in general, I don't think I mentioned football specifically.

skylined! posted:

Yes. We have high school football here too, you know!

I literally work right next to a private school that specializes in student athletics to the point of having multiple alumni presently in the NHL and even they don't have Jumbotrons for either hockey or football.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 15, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

It would really be par for the course for this hell dimension if Trumps stupidity finally got the Kurds a nation-state that was recognized.

Pretty sure the Kurds have already effectively surrendered to Assad. The best they might get is some cabinet positions in Syria's government I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skylined! posted:

To be fair, while I'm not especially surprised there are high schools with Jumbotrons for their football programs, I also wasn't aware of them and I'm an American.