Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zereth posted:

FORCED EVASION

does the sequel to Endless FORCED EVASION go as hard on that because it was annoying that an enemy touching the ground at all meant your combo was now over

especially irritating when fighting something heavy

Apparently it makes it not happen as often

quote:

Lastly, the addition of an Evasion Gauge (E.Gauge) prevents the enemies to abuse "Forced Evasion" and they only enact it once the gauge is full and now players can also enact "Forced Evasion" at the cost of 50% F.Gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Apparently it makes it not happen as often
:hmmyes: that does sound like an improvement over "literally any time any airborne enemy lands"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm thinking more like if Ghost Trick were a combat game

Knights in the Nightmare?

I'd be lying if I said I'd gotten far enough to know what the gently caress the deal with basically anything was, though.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

People are uncomfortable with Chosen One plots because they no longer reflect reality. Birth-derived duties are a thing of the past, largely speaking; family businesses and monarchies still exist, but they probably shouldn't. For most people, "You must fulfill the duty of your line" is a completely meaningless message because no such duty exists; for the few exceptions, it's an actively harmful one. It's time to retire chosen-by-birth protagonists, is what I'm saying. Other types of Chosen One plots (chosen-by-circumstance, chosen-by-chance/fate) can stay because they're still kinda relevant.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

they should all stay around and dragon quest should just be less boring, imo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Elephant Parade posted:

People are uncomfortable with Chosen One plots because they no longer reflect reality. Birth-derived duties are a thing of the past, largely speaking; family businesses and monarchies still exist, but they probably shouldn't. For most people, "You must fulfill the duty of your line" is a completely meaningless message because no such duty exists; for the few exceptions, it's an actively harmful one. It's time to retire chosen-by-birth protagonists, is what I'm saying. Other types of Chosen One plots (chosen-by-circumstance, chosen-by-chance/fate) can stay because they're still kinda relevant.

No, it's just bad writing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

imo i have way more patience with chosen one narratives when being the chosen one is a horrific, traumatizing burden that endangers everyone you come in contact with and leaves massive scars on the world in your wake instead of just involving some kind of anti-evil superpower

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Act 3 in DQ11 is infuriatingly dumb setup and insanely unsatisfying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I do not mind chosen one stuff

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Barudak posted:

i think True Endings like that just don't belong in fully linear games

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The best chosen one plot is FF12.

'cause Ashe tells the choosers to go take a hike and that she ain't gonna warcrime the way they want.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

I stopped playing when I got to act 3 because I loving hated the premise of it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

I stopped playing when I got to act 3 because I loving hated the premise of it

Thats kind of where I am. Its so so stupid that even the premise of "more content" is tainted. I keep talking about how DQ11 being cowardly narratively leads it making awful plots and this is like that issue writ so large its visible from space

Its also annoying because where it starts you is after all the things Id want to do again but different

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I really liked DQXI, like, all the way through. I spent 130 hours playing that game. I got exactly what I thought I would: a huge, gorgeous, classic JRPG. Even in these days where I am finishing a lot more games, it was a standout.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm still fond of the Ys series for having a mostly-silent protagonist who's still incredibly proactive

i stalled out at the beginning of 7 but i'll come back around to it eventually

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

i'm still fond of the Ys series for having a mostly-silent protagonist who's still incredibly proactive

i stalled out at the beginning of 7 but i'll come back around to it eventually

At least get to the desert because it's got one of the best tracks in the game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samuringa posted:

No, it's just bad writing.

Pretty much this, saying that someone is going to win or special because they are 'chosen' is dumb and bad.

I also feel this way about any anime plot in which it's basically "this person was totally average until [contrived event] happened and now they're the key to fighting the bad guys!"

Which is why I'll welcome any and all subversions of this, even if they've been done before.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

dq11 is good imo

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium/

its out

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
ACG loved it too, really excited.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rascyc posted:

ACG loved it too, really excited.

I am gonna wait a bit on it, since it's so ambiguous it seems likely to be either amazing... or really awful.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't even understand most of the complaints you all have about DQXI lol. I mean, other than the music ones. It's exactly what it says it's going to be and it's a chill fun time!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Pretty much this, saying that someone is going to win or special because they are 'chosen' is dumb and bad.

I also feel this way about any anime plot in which it's basically "this person was totally average until [contrived event] happened and now they're the key to fighting the bad guys!"

Which is why I'll welcome any and all subversions of this, even if they've been done before.
Idk why you put anime in a strikethrough there because that describes 90% of american comics also

an actual dog posted:

I don't even understand most of the complaints you all have about DQXI lol. I mean, other than the music ones. It's exactly what it says it's going to be and it's a chill fun time!
Presumably they are not having fun

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The head dev(?) of Indivisible had some things to say about updates:

Anyway the way he describes the updates to come, seems the game's gonna remain in a big WIP state for a while. Sounds like an "Avoid till 2020" situation.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Indivisible is perfectly playable right now, it's just not very balanced, and there's a couple of characters who's super attacks don't work.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Same here. The music, the protagonist basically being a non-character I can get but people keep talking about the plot like they're not doing a more proactive Legend of Zelda. Find the hero that can use the Goddess Sword- hey the reincarnation of the last hero will probably be the best bet here, look for any kid with the mark on them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just played the dq11 demo and am trying to decide if i want the rest of it!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
I mean a lot of the same people are also asking if DQ is like that in general so maybe the answer is they're unfamiliar with the series and didn't know they signed up for a more proactive Legend of Zelda. Is it really difficult to understand that DQXI may not be a cool fun game for everyone?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It does feel like 11 is a massive publicity spike for the series in the West.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Agean90 posted:

dq11 is good imo

word

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DQ11 Switch was on every nintendo direct for like half a year with a full 3-7 minutes spot each time, including a spot in Smash.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Is it really difficult to understand that DQXI may not be a cool fun game for everyone?

No but the story comments were weird, like what the gently caress does cowardly mean?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Caphi posted:

DQB2 synergized with it as well, I've seen many posters get into it and then give DQXI a try.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

an actual dog posted:

No but the story comments were weird, like what the gently caress does cowardly mean?

I don't know about cowardly but act3 just erasing all the things I've done and erasing all the growth of the party members really didn't make me want to continue. Like, they werent my party members any more.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

an actual dog posted:

I mean given the context of the post in question, cowardly probably means "unwilling to take even the smallest most calculated risk" but I'm not that poster so I can only assume. And that's a valid complaint that you seem to have issue with. Like you answered no to my question but I'm not sure that's actually the case. Any story can miss notes for people and the response being "that's just DQ" is not gonna make anyone rethink or re-examine.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've played dq1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8. i liked most of 11's demo but the protagonist's interactions with Erik, Veronica, and Serena kinda rubbed me the wrong way. that said, hearing the rest of the party members join you in less contrived ways is good to know

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The reason why those 3 join you is actually a big story point later on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

I mean a lot of the same people are also asking if DQ is like that in general so maybe the answer is they're unfamiliar with the series and didn't know they signed up for a more proactive Legend of Zelda. Is it really difficult to understand that DQXI may not be a cool fun game for everyone?

Oh no, not liking a game is easily understandable, I just don't agree with every complaint and thus they feel weird.

Caphi posted:

That'll happen when you put a nice looking RPG on the PS4 and Switch. Finally going from a DS to Wii MMO and finally a normal single-player console definitely helped.

Also adding a handful of characters to Smash as well.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Andrast posted:

I don't know about cowardly but act3 just erasing all the things I've done and erasing all the growth of the party members really didn't make me want to continue. Like, they werent my party members any more.

Yea I get this. The game gives you time to say goodbye to you Act 2 buddies though, so I felt prepared to start something new in Act 3. There's some people who have said things like "Act 3 is so good, why did they even put the credits where they did" and like, they put the credits there cause that's the end of that party's journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I can definitely see the wrestler arc or whatever you want to call it being described as cowardly writing in that it doesn't really address the theme with any gravity in the end. At the very least it's very cartoon-esque, much like many other parts of the plot. The wrestler conclusion kind of had me laughing at the absurdity but the one that really took me for a ride was the whole intro hook to Act 2:

There's like this BIG scene about how bleak the situation is and everyone's hosed. You do this big last stand cinematic and you're victorious! Then you're off to brave the world to see how everyone else is faring...and everyone is faring pretty loving well actually cause the game needs those towns to continue its episodic fare apparently! I got off the train at that point, the upcoming gut punch didn't really do much for me either cause the narrative lost me already. The Erik plotline was kind of sad too, but probably because they really hammer that drum for a long time much like the Act 2 intro but it was kind of a fool me once/fool me twice? situation.

Still played the game to its last vestiges cause I really enjoyed the mechanics and gameplay. If I didn't enjoy those though I would not have played Act 3 personally.