Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Oracle posted:

Yeah ag reports. NPR has a show on in rural areas that covers all this and more.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/

https://www.farmjournal.com/

Growing up in farm country, the nightly news broadcast would have corn/soy/hogs futures right along side the daily DJIA/S&P market recap.

Sleepy puppy tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

luxury handset posted:

you know who else thinks the solution to public school funding problems is to fire overpaid, useless administrators? (also public schools can't engage in deficit spending without public bond issuance, which gets back to the same local control of funding at the root of the problem)

"IT'S THE TEACHERS UNIONS, DUDE! Those guys don't even work for 3 months!"

There seems to be a mysterious ideal institution in everyone's heads where it is leanly staffed, but capable of servicing 10 times as many people as are there with full, individualized attention.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

PT6A posted:

Yes. We have high school football here too, you know!

I would bet vast sums of money that the cultural obsession with football in the US is nothing like what Canada experiences.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

To be fair, while I'm not especially surprised there are high schools with Jumbotrons for their football programs, I also wasn't aware of them and I'm an American.

Texans are probably more familiar with them, but all three school districts in my immediate area growing up has jumbotrons in their stadiums, though the stadiums were shared by all the high schools in the district.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

PT6A posted:

Excellent, then why did you disagree with my post that we should blame the people who are responsible for the funding, rather than the people forced to divide inadequate funding?

Yeah, I've never seen a high school with a jumbotron and I'm gonna need evidence that public schools are doing this, because it sounds suspiciously like a "welfare queen driving a cadillac and using food stamps to buy lobster" sort of bullshit rumour. If that's happening, you are absolutely correct that it's very wrong, but I have my doubts that it is in fact happening.

Jesus you have no idea what you are talking about.

I disagreed with you because they aren't funded that way and we have to make choices about what does get funded. I personally believe that teachers and students education should be the things we spend money on, and not sports, coaches, and admin staff to administer all of it. You seem to disagree with that.

EDIT: and you're a canadian so you have even less of an idea of what you're talking about than I originally thought.

Brony Car posted:

"IT'S THE TEACHERS UNIONS, DUDE! Those guys don't even work for 3 months!"

There seems to be a mysterious ideal institution in everyone's heads where it is leanly staffed, but capable of servicing 10 times as many people as are there with full, individualized attention.

Teacher's unions are also woefully underfunded and not nearly as powerful as some think.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 15, 2019

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I'm picturing trump fighting his hand Dr. Strangelove style like trump had a secret hand transplant from a lawful good midget." 'Dems bad. Hate Dems...I...m...p...e...a...c...h...t-no! *sounds of struggle*H!*more sounds of struggle* Eeeeeeeee!!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

There Bias Two posted:

I would bet vast sums of money that the cultural obsession with football in the US is nothing like what Canada experiences.

We have a school here with 2 NHL-sized rinks, and still no Jumbotron.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

PT6A posted:

Yes. We have high school football here too, you know!

Yea however I doubt, because of where you are, you hear much about how many Americans, particularly in the Southeast and Texas, treat high school football. There are more than a few SE US public schools that have football stadiums better than some professional venues.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/highschool/article/Most-expensive-high-school-football-stadiums-Texas-13145194.php

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/VFHT4UsAn0Kxjx_zXJeiow/top-10-most-expensive-high-school-football-stadiums-in-texas.htm

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-football/photos-biggest-high-school-football-stadiums-georgia/MJXwMCMOw7cahf9C5scD4H/

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Jesus you have no idea what you are talking about.

I disagreed with you because they aren't funded that way and we have to make choices about what does get funded. I personally believe that teachers and students education should be the things we spend money on, and not sports, coaches, and admin staff to administer all of it. You seem to disagree with that.

I think you're touching on a nerve because the vague assertion that there are "layers of needless administration" is often the response of right-leaning or right-wing people in this country whenever someone remotely liberal suggests increasing school funding through tax increases or a bond issuance.

I'm sure there are some very badly run school districts out there, but administrative layers often arise because there's usually more work than people can see from the outside.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Didn't the "No Child Left Behind" government accountability movement (not just that act but the whole thing) end up creating a huge need for administration that didn't exist before?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Brony Car posted:

I think you're touching on a nerve because the vague assertion that there are "layers of needless administration" is often the response of right-leaning or right-wing people in this country whenever someone remotely liberal suggests increasing school funding through tax increases or a bond issuance.

I'm sure there are some very badly run school districts out there, but administrative layers often arise because there's usually more work than people can see from the outside.

You're likely correct, and I want to make clear I am not making a right wing argument. Schools need admin staff, and often more than it would seem due to the level of bureaucracy they have to navigate. That's all fine and good, but there is some serious grifting going on as well.

GlyphGryph posted:

Didn't the "No Child Left Behind" government accountability movement (not just that act but the whole thing) end up creating a huge need for administration that didn't exist before?

Yeah. Get rid of the god damned standardized tests and schools will instantly have additional money.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

But how else will they determine which schools are under performing so that they can punish those schools and demand better results with even less funding?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
In Texas, high school football is often treated like actual pro football. They have huge, expensive stadiums, and it's a major part of the culture of certain communities. It's really loving weird to people from anywhere else.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Taerkar posted:

But how else will they determine which schools are under performing so that they can punish those schools and demand better results with even less funding?

It's almost as if the movement was intended to Starve the Beast and allow Charter Schools to flourish!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ershalim posted:

Oh, okay... this might be a dumb follow-up, but how does that work in practice re: food? I'm not super versed in logistics, but I think most school lunches are outsourced to catering companies, so are they just contractually obligated to bring X amount of food per week and paid up front? Is the school being reimbursed by the money given to them by students buying lunches? It feels like there's something, somewhere in the chain where there's some service being provided on faith before it's paid for. Where does that happen? Is the school paying for the service weekly with money pre-allocated during the setting of the budget?

I dunno. I guess getting mired in the specifics might detract from the overall message of "someone should be feeding the kids." It's just that protests that gently caress with money are almost always responded to more quickly than those that don't.

this is the part which is highly variable

some schools outsource food provision to third party contractors. some schools cook on site in kitchens. some schools have a hybrid system, where private companies might set up shop in the school cafeteria

assuming the school provides food through directly employed cafeteria staff, the cafeteria manager will have a set yearly budget to work with and plan out meals at a very low cost per student. they will try to recoup as much of that money as possible through lunch fees, which are typically pretty cheap per-meal (though easily out of reach of very poor students). i'm talking like $2 per lunch, but assume a family that has three kids in the system, that $6/day (more with breakfast!) will add up fast

this is why subleasing a part of the cafeteria to some local fast food franchise is attractive, you then collect your taco bell rent and leave it up to them to make their profit off your student base

this is also why school food is often garbage, whoever is running the breakfast/lunch program is getting industrial scale foodstock from sysco or us foods and trying to feed students at about a dollar per head. so, dehydrated eggs, large portions of cheap meals like vegetable soup and giant pans of cheese pizza, etc.

Shifty Pony posted:

Those sorts of expenditures tend to be funded by the booster club.

Which is usually just a way to obfuscate dodging those pesky title-IX requirements that men's and women's sports get equal funding.

this is also a good point - school sports, especially very popular sports like football, are often on a separate revenue stream if not a revenue generator for the school. a high school with a monster size stadium usually had big receipts from ticket and concession sales if it's the kind of place where the entire town turns out for a game. and the districts with stadiums that seat 10k folks tend not to be the same districts that struggle with school funding

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 15, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:laffo:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1183840923383410691

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AREvers/status/1183828390530469888

Goddamn Gym is such a piece of poo poo. This is the argument they are going with? Never thought I would see the day Republicans are spouting process arguments

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There Bias Two posted:

maybe not football, but let me tell you about the Canadian junior hockey system

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

friendbot2000 posted:

Goddamn Gym is such a piece of poo poo. This is the argument they are going with? Never thought I would see the day Republicans are spouting process arguments

It's a good sign, they're out of better ideas.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1184149515265175553

If it goes all the way back to March a lot more subpoenas are gonna go out this week

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesus gently caress

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I think it's a fair guess to say Canada is also a bit denser then the US, so it probably has fewer, albeit larger schools while the US has a need for a metric gently caress ton of small ones.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Celexi posted:

Issue in America, at least in California is how schools also get funded per student being in school daily, which makes them pack students for as long they can regardless of it being a good idea or not, they should have a fixed budget according to student number and size of school and not on how many students they can keep packed imprisoned all day.

Yeah this caused problems at my school. When our old administration retired this stereotype of a young 80s businessman took over in my sophmore year. He immediately instituted policies where you failed every class with a 0 if you were absent more than 5 days. There were no exceptions to this unless you had documentation from a doctor or hospital verifying that you had a condition that he thought was an acceptable reason to miss school. So he would even refuse some doctor's notes even if families went to the expense of a doctor visit.

He also doubled the price of school lunches.

Oh and to discourage early graduation he banned any student who did it from senior prom, the yearbooks and graduation and made them pay some kind of administrative fee. Mine was $240 so I sold my class ring for scrap gold.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

Matt Gaetz isn't legally allowed to be in those hearings; he's not part of the committee. And if process arguments are all they've got, they've already lost the debate. Literally no one cares that these things are being held behind closed doors except the House GOP; the good bits are all getting leaked anyway.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2019

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Brave New World posted:

In Texas, high school football is often treated like actual pro football. They have huge, expensive stadiums, and it's a major part of the culture of certain communities. It's really loving weird to people from anywhere else.

I'm in Ohio, and in my town it's basically just "bleachers and an old scoreboard around the field," but I went to look up a fancier one that I drive past sometimes. Apparently it seats 4,000 people and has a "video scoreboard," which I assume is a Jumbotron or equivalent.

I can't imagine 4,000 people turning out to watch high school football, but there are pictures of the stands being packed so I guess it does happen. I'm originally from NY, and the only interaction I ever had with high school football was when they had the annual mandatory pep rally in the gym, and it was about the same for pretty much everyone I knew.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/kennethkorri/status/1183956136250281986

Not sure if the right one is real or not, but LOL regardless.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/caitlinzemma/status/1184147973162356736?s=20

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Countdown until that background music is cease & desist'd.

Edit- federalize the education system, stop letting Bubba and Nancy run our education systems.

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 15, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Those sorts of expenditures tend to be funded by the booster club.

Which is usually just a way to obfuscate dodging those pesky title-IX requirements that men's and women's sports get equal funding.

Sadly all too often they're paid for by the school district outright. The excuse to get around title-IX is they let the women's sports play on the field sometimes.

Here are some examples for those unfamiliar:

Waxahachie ISD - Screen Cost: $500,000 Paid for by the ISD.
Number of Students in the ISD total: 8,500
Average Teacher Salary: $53k
Economically Disadvantaged Students: 45%

Katy ISD - Screen Cost: $2M Paid for by the ISD.
Number of Students in the ISD total: 77,300
Average Teacher Salary: $57k (+4k over state average)
Economically Disadvantaged Students: 31%

Mckinney ISD - Screen Size: 32'x54' Paid for by the ISD.
Number of Students in the ISD total: 24,800
Economically Disadvantaged Students: 30%

Weslaco ISD - Screen Size: 36'x66' Paid for by the ISD.
Number of Students in the ISD total: 17,100
Economically Disadvantaged Students: 82%

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Sadly all too often they're paid for by the school district outright. The excuse to get around title-IX is they let the women's sports play on the field sometimes.

independent school districts are a weird edge case of yeehaw texas and aren't going to be explicative of school district operations around the rest of the united states

not that these expenditures are excusable in any way, just that this is a poor example of how public school expenditure on athletic programs works in general, outside of texas

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ummel posted:

Countdown until that background music is cease & desist'd.

Edit- federalize the education system, stop letting Bubba and Nancy run our education systems.

Nah, usually education is run locally by a series of Very Concerned Moms all named Becky.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

luxury handset posted:

this is the part which is highly variable

some schools outsource food provision to third party contractors. some schools cook on site in kitchens. some schools have a hybrid system, where private companies might set up shop in the school cafeteria

assuming the school provides food through directly employed cafeteria staff, the cafeteria manager will have a set yearly budget to work with and plan out meals at a very low cost per student. they will try to recoup as much of that money as possible through lunch fees, which are typically pretty cheap per-meal (though easily out of reach of very poor students). i'm talking like $2 per lunch, but assume a family that has three kids in the system, that $6/day (more with breakfast!) will add up fast

this is why subleasing a part of the cafeteria to some local fast food franchise is attractive, you then collect your taco bell rent and leave it up to them to make their profit off your student base

this is also why school food is often garbage, whoever is running the breakfast/lunch program is getting industrial scale foodstock from sysco or us foods and trying to feed students at about a dollar per head. so, dehydrated eggs, large portions of cheap meals like vegetable soup and giant pans of cheese pizza, etc.

I used to work for one of the three largest food service management companies in the world and can say this is pretty accurate.

Third party companies make their money because they have purchasing agreements in place and will both skim off the top in direct food sales to students (or, more likely, be subsidized by the school district because they're still able to operate it cheaper than the school thinks they can), and also take advantage of additional discounts from vendors for being able to bulk-purchase millions of pounds of food annually.

Many, many public agreements also allow the vendor to operate on a sliding scale fee arrangement, where the district approves a certain budget and the vendor makes more money the better they do against that budget. Often times the vendor will over-hype the budgetary needs so they can bank more for the company, or just outright grift because not every school district has a liaison that understands how food service works. There are minimum standards in place as well, but lol if you think that a mega company doesn't look for ways to skirt them.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Nah, usually education is run locally by a series of Very Concerned Moms all named Becky.

But like Bubba and Nancy they are all usually racist

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

friendbot2000 posted:

"I mean, school choice will mean more of the ni-"urban" children will be in our suburban school district! We can't have that!"

Becky, PTA Meeting

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

Of course they're not racist. They even begin every sentence with "I'm not racist, but"!

I know we have a state/local elections thread but we really need a thread for discussing weirdos in state/local politics. I grew up in a small town and boy have I got some good stories.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Trabisnikof posted:

Jesus, these are nicer and more well equipped than our pro stadium. Do they charge for tickets? If so, are they breaking even or making money at least?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Holy poo poo! Weslaco is my home town! Very poor school district. I taught there in the mid 90's and I had 36 students in each of my classes. I had one set of 30 text books for nearly 180 students. Oh, and only 30 chairs.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

luxury handset posted:

independent school districts are a weird edge case of yeehaw texas and aren't going to be explicative of school district operations around the rest of the united states

not that these expenditures are excusable in any way, just that this is a poor example of how public school expenditure on athletic programs works in general, outside of texas

those stadiums were all built with funding obtained in local bond elections as well, not from the general school budget. fun fact, in Texas you are legally not allowed to use a bond election to pay teachers or to pay for student lunches

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

luxury handset posted:

The ISD model is pretty normal, I don't think it is as unusual as you think.

I only used Texas examples because the Texas Tribune made finding the demographic stats easier.

Here's Georgia:

Ohio:

Louisiana:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

"I mean, school choice will mean more of the ni-"urban" children will be in our suburban school district! We can't have that!"

A majority of East Baton Rouge on Saturday.

Man I'm not surprised but I still can't believe we're doing this in 2019.