Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Zereth posted:

EDIT: and, yeah, you can just... leave Baruuk for later? i 100% do not understand why you put him at rank 2

I actively hate Toroid farming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Baruuk is pretty forgettable, you can just ignore he.

Ungh anyway been still working on the alt khora helmet. Slow progress because I'd been taking shortcuts that just bit me in the rear end later, so spent time properly setting everything up.

And goofing around

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Also, further explanation: Baruuk requires max Solaris United rep, and 3/5th Vox Solaris rep, which means you could, with patience get Hildryn and Khora well before him. Only Harrow is iffy, as it requires a perfect spy mission from a later area, but one you'll probably get to before even unlocking Vox Solaris, and farming Harrow can also get you Ash if you can't seem to get him. Of those three, Hildryn requires the closest amount of work as Baruuk, but the Exploiter Orb fight is actually fun, and getting Beef Mama from it actually feels like a reward, where Baruuk just sits in a cupboard behind Little Duck.

So in terms of frames I'd not bother with grinding out, it's #2.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Hildryn is also sitting in a cupboard behind Little Duck (or at least a quarter of her is), just a rank lower.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

hildryn would be a pretty bad frame for a new player just to point out

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what why? all you need to make hild work is a lv6 shield mod and a decent weapon, she's incredibly sturdy and easy to play, and "hide behind a corner to get more shield" is much less annoying than recasting ironskin you might now have energy for

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

As someone who have never bought any frame or weapon, I'd say just play the game do the quests. If something looks to daunting or grindy just do something else. You can always come back and do those things later, or skip them with plat if you just can't stand it.

Skipping everything with plat is a good way to get incredibly bored with the game quickly.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Truga posted:

what why? all you need to make hild work is a lv6 shield mod and a decent weapon, she's incredibly sturdy and easy to play, and "hide behind a corner to get more shield" is much less annoying than recasting ironskin you might now have energy for

The MR 25 test is annoying because getting on an archwing means you have to recast ironskin, and you won't have enough energy. :argh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

As someone who have never bought any frame or weapon, I'd say just play the game do the quests. If something looks to daunting or grindy just do something else. You can always come back and do those things later, or skip them with plat if you just can't stand it.

Skipping everything with plat is a good way to get incredibly bored with the game quickly.

Yeah, that's the best advice IMO. I have like 800h in the game, and my only advice for someone starting out is "play the game if you like how it plays, don't worry about crafting poo poo, literally everything worthwhile in the game comes with vacuum + some game time, because warframe has the best loot system in video games".

I still don't give a poo poo about most things, and just about the only resource I've ever purposefully farmed is argon, because gently caress argon. For everything else, I just play the game with friends, and eventually the resources have piled up into mountains of bullshit in an off-screen infinite warehouse I never have to interact with. Also, every time I go play another game after a long warframe stint, I get pissed off by the constant need to janitor the inventory.

OTOH, my way playing by never ever checking what's in my inventory has downsides. I'm probably sitting on thousands of platinum in various parts/relics/mods/etc. On the other other hand, since I've only ever spent platinum on weapon/frame slots and a few cosmetics, getting $20 worth of platinum at -75% twice has me covered for another year. That's $40 total in like 6 years of playing, some absolutely amazing bang for buck there. e: I should probably point out, I have one of every warframe except 3 and a bunch of primes, and one of every weapon except some event/prime ones, crafted in my inventory, so that's a fuckton of slots. I'm MR24 and never sold anything.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 15, 2019

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Truga posted:

Yeah, that's the best advice IMO. I have like 800h in the game, and my only advice for someone starting out is "play the game if you like how it plays, don't worry about crafting poo poo, literally everything worthwhile in the game comes with vacuum + some game time, because warframe has the best loot system in video games".

I demand a Primed Vacuum! :doom:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sandweed posted:

As someone who also never bought any frame or weapon.

gently caress the Harrow grind just buy him. Just gently caress Defection.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you do one defection every 3 months, you will get the one drop you need eventually without burning out. Same with Orokin Derelict Surv or Infested Salvage. But as someone once said, getting gear in WF for free is only really free if your time is worthless.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

How are people considering Baruuk a boring frame to skip? He's so good.

The actual calculus on buying frames from the market is that a few of them are 75 plat, which means the slot+potato is actually significant so they're really 35 plat to skip the grind+craft, which, not unreasonable.

Oct 28, 2003

I'd say khora is a good buy option. all the parts are a pain to get and then you need to get cat genomes which is super tedious. also, she's a great at a bunch of things and you get to have two cats at once.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

One thing I'd like to recommend to Ytlaya and other recent noobs, being a 1-month noob myself, is to not feel the need to grind grind grind if you don't want to.

As another goon eloquently put it, the only thing on the otherside of a Warframe grind is simply more Warframe, and there is so much stuff to get and level that you can afford to take a break on that 1 part you've been grinding.

So if you're having bad luck on a few runs and keep not getting the drop you want, just ignore it for a while and come back to it. If you actively make the game frustrating for yourself, you'll burn out fast.

I'm like mid-way through farming a bunch of frames and was having bad RNG luck so I'm stuffing it, and just working on the late-game star chart for now. I'll also try some new guns I've got cooking. I'll go back to the frame farming later, just doing a bit here and there when I feel like it (drat you, Ash!!).

drat near burned myself out farming Saryn Prime for 5 days straight, and that was already after a kind goon gave me the systems.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 15, 2019

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There’s an in-depth look at maximizing Kavat code farming here. It was written by people who are into big money Kavat breeding, so their builds are a little overoptimized for the specific purpose of cat farming in a way that I think is unneccesary for the casual player who just wants to build a Khora and a pair of cats, but otherwise I think the guide is sound.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Anora posted:

After that here's my list of Plat frames:

The only frames you should drop plat for are maybe Nidus, Harrow and Equinox. The rest are easy enough to get. I don't know why people have so much trouble with Jordas Precept, just slap on corpro and go to town.

Also why do so many people have trouble with Glast Gambit??

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Also why do so many people have trouble with Glast Gambit??
It's the mission where you need to stay within a set number of points. It's really easy for an ally to mess it up, forcing you to redo it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tulip posted:

How are people considering Baruuk a boring frame to skip? He's so good.

The actual calculus on buying frames from the market is that a few of them are 75 plat, which means the slot+potato is actually significant so they're really 35 plat to skip the grind+craft, which, not unreasonable.

I would like Baruuk more if I didn't have to fill that stupid restraint meter, and his 4 being gated behind it doesn't help.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

Variants of stuff like the Prime Whatever and the Whatever Wraith are entirely different objects from their regular versions in terms of levels, applying forma, exilus slots, and the like. On the whole, this is good because you can get the mastery from it twice.

What's the bolded by the way? I have one mod that seems to have the same symbol on it (a thing that does a shockwave when I fall from high), but I'm pretty sure I can equip that mod into other slots as well.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Most assassination (boss) missions drop parts for a particular Warframe. You would have gotten the Rhino part by fighting the Jackal on Fossa, Venus, and can repeat that mission to get the other parts. Once you have the chassis, neuroptics, and systems from a given assassination, you can buy the blueprint for that warframe from the Market for credits. Make sure to buy the blueprint; there's an option to buy a completed Rhino for platinum, and that's a waste of plat.

Speaking of the Jackal, that fight confused me. He literally just stood there doing nothing for most of the fight aside from I think releasing drones. I died a couple times with no clue why (I was at full health/shields when it happened each time), until realizing that I think I was getting one-shot by mines?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ytlaya posted:

What's the bolded by the way? I have one mod that seems to have the same symbol on it (a thing that does a shockwave when I fall from high), but I'm pretty sure I can equip that mod into other slots as well.

Exilus mods can go in any (non-aura) slots, but only exilus mods can go in exilus slots.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

And Tyler Too! posted:

I would like Baruuk more if I didn't have to fill that stupid restraint meter, and his 4 being gated behind it doesn't help.

I mean it's fair to not like a rhythm of play, but even with that Baruuk is mechanically off the hook, I've gotten 40%+ damage in teams with Saryn as my competition while playing a super tank.

I dislike Octavia but I'm not going to call her bad.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

baruuk is really strong and fun but he is definitely not hard enough to get that you should think about buying him with plat.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Baruuk is dope, leave him alone

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Berke Negri posted:

please for the love of god to do not recommend people to spend plat on baruuk

This is correct.

You're supposed to spend plat on his collection for the Mandala.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Somebody effortpost about Baruuk, please, because I have not been feeling him.

I hate Spy, so I bought Ivara, and still feel ok about that. If a grind makes you break out in hives, pay to skip it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
is the mandala an orbiter decoration that you try to line up with the nav console?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah Ivara is another one that's plat-worthy

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

aegof posted:

Somebody effortpost about Baruuk, please, because I have not been feeling him.

I hate Spy, so I bought Ivara, and still feel ok about that. If a grind makes you break out in hives, pay to skip it.

phone posting is bad for effort, but here's the core

High strength. Serene Storm is your main damage, survival is almost entirely on Desolate Hands, both scale with Strength (and Desolate Hands effectively gets its duration from Strength)

Serene Storm only cares about strength, it is unaffected by duration, efficiency, and range.

Desolate Hands gets you a trickle of neg restraint but you'll want to use Elude and Lull to pump it fast. Elude can get you a ton very quickly but is very situational (a lot of hits coming in - a fusion moa will build very fast), Lull is easier and thus your main source, you want it to have both range and spammability.

So, keep desolate hands at 9 daggers+ when possible, spam Lull when there's a lot of enemies on the minimap, and then hit 4 when you get like half or more neg restraint.

Serene Storm makes your melee throw out waves about the size of a train car with I think 15m punch through that 1 shot the vast majority of enemies so that's cool.

Here's a quick 1 forma Baruuk

https://tennoware.com/warframes/baruuk/12233100000d3050000c005n405y510c105w605w805k505h00500000000/17519

Here's a far less thought out 0 forma Desert Wind

https://tennoware.com/meleeweapons/desert%20wind/1011300000q700j505j005i905n503d803f805f905e805v/26868

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this is the baruuk build i use pretty much always

this is the absurd tank option. its really not necessary even in arbitrations. i started with adaptation in the first build and took it out because it just isnt needed with how innately tanky he is.

this is the gimmick elude build i never ever use and will probably delete at some point. (just realize i swapped my arcanes on this. you probably want energize if you have it)

fists.

if i do delete the 3rd build i think i can reforma so i get umbral vitality in the first build too but i might not bother since he is already a beast. ideally i would probably forma the exilus slot to get power drift in there but i havent bothered since he came with the dash.

natural talent makes playing him feel way better. i played without it for awhile then tried it one day and havent gone back.

basically i never use elude, spam 2, keep your daggers up and absolutely murder everything with 4. he is godly in longer missions with high enemy counts. i love using him in disruptions and survivals.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 15, 2019

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah Ivara is another one that's plat-worthy

I think Ivara's next up for getting a prime? She's close anyway.

Edit: if we go off release date, she's next, but they just swapped Wukong and Atlas, so who knows.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

baruuk is great and if you're looking for variety he'll provide that in spades along with being useful for a lot of poo poo in general but at the same time a new player isn't going to immediately have much direct access to getting him and he's not exactly 'essential' in any particular way

i mean none of the frames specifically are, it's just that baruuk is less urgent than most

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There is only one truly indispensable frame: Nekros

E: I'm not going to judge somebody buying Hildryn/Baruuk that much, purely because going from MR0 to rank 3 VS is going to take forever and if you feel some primordial draw to one of them that would massively improve your experience for weeks, ok.

Like I will be harsh about say Trinity or Saryn, because you can get their primes more cheaply, but that's not an option for those two yet.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 15, 2019

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Scrub here, and I was just wondering about what skills makes Ivara and Nekros so overpowered? I know Nekros has the item find, but I found Ivara to be really underwhelming except for her 4 power which seems to one shot everything.

Other frames I think I'm playing wrong: Ash, Mesa, the sand king guy that can go kind of invincible. I know they're supposed to be tanky and overpowered, but I'm not sure if I'm playing them wrong, or if I just don't have the right mods to make them OP yet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nekros is OK but yeah mostly for the farming. Ivara has cloak without a duration (though it does drain energy) which is very useful in some cases

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know why Neckros is even on the list besides Leph being kind of a PITA to get to. I guess you can have some fun with Shield of Shadows but it's nothing OP.

Ivara isn't really OP moreso as she has fantastic utility. She's the go-to frame for animal conservation, she gets an augment which allows her to pass through lasers undetected, you can use navigator for some fun gimmicks and her bow has its fans.
You basically need her for some of the more annoying Riven challenges.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i use ivara pretty much exclusively for unlocking certain rivens and conservation/mining (which i rarely do now). her being slow as gently caress while cloaked means i dont even use her for spies.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

ivara is so good because she has an incredibly versatile kit that can attack unusual problems from directions most other frames can't. it's less about raw power in a single area and more about incredible versatility and utility.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wukong is really the Spy master now.

There is nothing he cannot do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Guilty posted:

Scrub here, and I was just wondering about what skills makes Ivara and Nekros so overpowered? I know Nekros has the item find, but I found Ivara to be really underwhelming except for her 4 power which seems to one shot everything.

There's a little confusion going on here because "difficult to acquire" and "useful" aren't really all that related.

Ivara isn't uniquely powerful or useful. She can trivialize spy missions pretty hard, but she drops FROM spy missions, and spy missions are more about parkour skill than solid snake impersonation anyway. Why it's come up is that she is one of the less fun grinds. So the question of "should you spend plat on her" is mostly a question of how much you hate spy missions (I don't particularly, so I ground her out with little friction).

"Nekros is OP" is mostly a joke about how you, pragmatically, spend much of the game: grinding. There's a dozen different frames that can kill whole rooms, but Nekros is the king of making those kills count.