Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Apparently some more of that hotel collapsed. The crane on the left is looking precarious.

We need less Big Government so that the invisible hand of the free market can stop this kind of thing from happening in the richest country in the world. Oh wait this isn't China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's just a capsized Uisko.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/fouroctets/status/1183590177668616193?s=20

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why would racers make roll cages out of painted PVC pipe?
It's not just wannabe racers.
Lancia used to make hollowed rollcages(if not plastic or cardboard) to save weight in GrpB with results anyone could easily guess....

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 14, 2019

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Relax man I filled the PVC full of cement

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Relax man I filled the PVC full of cement

Andy Ngo's racecar.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

:wow:

Edit: It's not often that I see brain dead incompetence on this level. I'm honestly stunned

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

In the 90s, there was a fire at the McCrory's in a local mall that killed 2 people and destroyed the store. My aunt's boyfriend declared somberly that it was because of all the polyester.

He was half right - it was a store detective who threw a cigarette into the artificial flowers so he could put out the resulting fire and make himself look good. Which apparently he had done twice before at the same store without serious damage. If I recall, that was in the basement level, which I'm sure did not help.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

:wow:

Edit: It's not often that I see brain dead incompetence on this level. I'm honestly stunned

Are those pics before or after they turned them on? The comment son the tweet seem like before, but it looks clumpy like everything melted when they turned them on. Or else whoever put them on just sucks at decorating.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are those pics before or after they turned them on? The comment son the tweet seem like before, but it looks clumpy like everything melted when they turned them on. Or else whoever put them on just sucks at decorating.

Definitely before. Clumpy != melted/charred.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Most of the current NASCAR rules are because of teams finding new ways to cheat.
Smokey Yunick used a wooden roll cage at one point and a roll cage full of fuel another time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

Most of the current NASCAR rules are because of teams finding new ways to cheat.
Smokey Yunick used a wooden roll cage at one point and a roll cage full of fuel another time.

I remember reading about one guy (Petty?) who, when they placed limits on fuel tank sizes, ran a big coil of fuel line under his seat in order to increase capacity because there was no limit to how long your fuel line could be.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I remember reading about one guy (Petty?) who, when they placed limits on fuel tank sizes, ran a big coil of fuel line under his seat in order to increase capacity because there was no limit to how long your fuel line could be.

That was also Smokey Yunick.

quote:

As with most successful racers, Yunick was a master of the grey area straddling the rules. Perhaps his most famous exploit was his #13 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle, driven by Curtis Turner. The car was so much faster than the competition during testing that they were certain that cheating was involved; some sort of aerodynamic enhancement was strongly suspected, but the car's profile seemed to be entirely stock, as the rules required. It was eventually discovered that Yunick had lowered and modified the roof and windows and raised the floor (to lower the body) of the production car. Since then, NASCAR required each race car's roof, hood, and trunk to fit templates representing the production car's exact profile.

Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using 11-foot (3 meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 5 gallons (19 liters) to the car's fuel capacity. Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten,"[4] and drove it back to the pits. He used a basketball in the fuel tank which could be inflated when the car's fuel capacity was checked and deflated for the race.

Yunick also used such innovations as offset chassis, raised floors, roof spoilers, nitrous oxide injection, and other modifications often within the letter of the rule-book, if not the spirit. "All those other guys were cheatin' 10 times worse than us," Yunick wrote in his autobiography, "so it was just self-defense." Yunick's success was also due to his expertise in the aerodynamics of racing cars.

In another incident, Yunick showed up for a race with stock rear fenders that partially covered the rear tires of his Chevelle. The car qualified well due to improved aerodynamics but the other teams were laughing and wondering how he was going to change the tires during pit stops. After qualifying, Yunick promptly cut out the rear fender openings. The other teams complained to NASCAR but Smokey said, "The rules say that I CAN cut out the rear fenders but it doesn't say WHEN I can cut them."

Yunick also built a 1968 Camaro for Trans-Am racing. Although Yunick set several speed and endurance records with the car at Bonneville Speedway, with both a 302 cubic inch (~4942 cubic centimeter) and a 396 cubic inch (~6489 cubic centimeter) engine, it never won a race while Yunick owned it. It was later sold to Don Yenko, who did win several races. In typical Yunick fashion, the car, although superficially a stock Camaro, had acid-dipped body panels and thinner window glass to reduce weight, the front end of the body tilted downwards and the windshield laid back for aerodynamics, all four fenders widened, the front subframe Z'ed (to physically move the front suspension higher and lower the front of the car) and the floorpan moved up to lower the car, and many other detailed modifications. The drip rails were even brought closer to the body for a tiny aerodynamic improvement. A connector to the engine oil system was extended into the car's interior, to allow the driver to add oil from a pressurized hose during pit stops. In order to allow the driver enough freedom of movement, the shoulder harness was modified to include a cable-ratchet mechanism from a military helicopter. In 1993, Vic Edelbrock Jr. purchased and restored the car. Contrary to popular opinion, Yunick designed the first "safe wall" in the early 1960s using old tires between sheets of plywood but NASCAR did not adopt his idea. Also Yunick developed air jacks for stock cars in 1961 but NASCAR did not deem them appropriate.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Yunick as well.

He also once stuck a basketball in the fuel tank. Inflate the basketball to pass tech inspection, when they the capacity of the tank, then deflate it to fit in more fuel.

Probably the most brilliant racing cheat ever was this one:

https://crasstalk.com/2011/03/cheatins-still-winnin-the-story-of-toyota-racings-best-cheat-ever/

To limit speeds the rules mandated a restrictor plate to limit air intake to the turbo. The Toyota team designed everything so that when you installed the turbo in the car, the end of the intake hose pressed on springs within the turbo housing and moved the restrictor plate slightly (5mm) forward to ease the restriction. Remove the parts to inspect them, and everything looks and measures right. But installed, you get 50 more horsepower.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Phanatic posted:

Yunick as well.

He also once stuck a basketball in the fuel tank. Inflate the basketball to pass tech inspection, when they the capacity of the tank, then deflate it to fit in more fuel.

Probably the most brilliant racing cheat ever was this one:

https://crasstalk.com/2011/03/cheatins-still-winnin-the-story-of-toyota-racings-best-cheat-ever/

To limit speeds the rules mandated a restrictor plate to limit air intake to the turbo. The Toyota team designed everything so that when you installed the turbo in the car, the end of the intake hose pressed on springs within the turbo housing and moved the restrictor plate slightly (5mm) forward to ease the restriction. Remove the parts to inspect them, and everything looks and measures right. But installed, you get 50 more horsepower.

Another article, with technical details.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
There is a legend(which is somehow grounded in how nasty the accident that killed Toivonen was) that the Delta S4 had a roll cage filled with nitrous to provide more boost, and the same vehicle had a next generation upgrade (ECV) in the works that replaced a good chunk of the metal parts with carbon fiber (while keeping the 700-1000hp engine), which would have been scary as gently caress to drive.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

People are idiots.

They should be using ABS instead because it'll just warp and deform instead of shattering into many sharp splinters on impact :pseudo:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Khizan posted:

It was still switched on, so as soon as it was plugged in the blade started up and bounced it off of the table.

I'd think something like that would have a dead man's switch though. Maybe he bypassed it?

My Makita has a detent to lock the angle grinder "on."

It was running at full clip when he put it down, it vibrated over until the wheel caught the table surface.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqOl5VgSem4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Galaxy brain: raise the bridge
Senator Warren brain: raise the road

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I was watching a video about a Chinese match manufacturer and saw this gem:

https://i.imgur.com/DRAy62R.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is the iron just there to weigh down the paper?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's supposed to get the moisture out of the paper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGroROlv34s&t=31s

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's plugged in, so probably preheating for the next stage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It started as just another day on the job for Brisbane factory worker Lawrence "Lorry" Cooper.

But in a spilt second, while operating a meat slicer, the 23-year-old's life changed dramatically when his hand was severed below his thumb.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-15/queensland-man-has-severed-hand-reattached-in-marathon-surgery/11599994

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was about to ask "lol why did they x-ray his hand-gib" but the title in the link answered that question

the fact that you can reattach poo poo after something like that happens is :eyepop:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

It started as just another day on the job for Brisbane factory worker Lawrence "Lorry" Cooper.

But in a spilt second, while operating a meat slicer, the 23-year-old's life changed dramatically when his hand was severed below his thumb.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-15/queensland-man-has-severed-hand-reattached-in-marathon-surgery/11599994

I though for a second there that the computer hadn't loaded in the rest of the hand. :stare:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Same on thinking the image was not loading.

I'm curious as to their choice of words "Below the thumb". Why not across the palm?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawV8zWaOzc&t=218s

Amateurs going down a mineshaft. Younger guy recording is like "so you trust your life with that knot?" First of all you should always-always have a partner double check your figure 8 knot regardless of grade. Secondly, jesus gently caress that tie-in point is just a random piece of ancient rebar jutting out from a wall in an abandoned mineshaft? They all definitely went down on that one rope too. How do you even get to an abandoned mineshaft in mexico - sneaking past guards - and not know how to use ropes? They will do far stupider and dangerous stuff. Point here being what I'm pointing out is fundamental, required safety for the activity they are doing and every single one of them could have died.

By 4:30 they are "one rope's length" (one shared rope :doh:) down a mineshaft and old guy is teaching the younger guy how to thread rope through his carabiner just in case he needs to know how to do that
:banjo: "You should always test this, eh? If you put it in backwards it won't work"
:haw: "Should I have them throw down my harness?"
:clint: "Oh? You brought a harness?"

Hose or dynamite?? :shrug: In the previous part the guy found a stick of dynamite and brought it back with him on his helmet. I'm serious.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'd hazard a guess the meat slicer was probably a bandsaw that they use in butchers shops. They're pretty much the same as the woodworking variety but use a different blade to cut meat. A deli slicer wouldn't have done the same job and wouldn't have cleanly gone through the bone in the way it did.
I put a knife in my hand 10 years ago now and the nerve I severed in the process still hasn't fully recovered so one side of my index finger is kinda numb and does odd poo poo when it gets cold in winter.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

once again the "overheight must turn" sign is proven incorrect

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I put a knife in my hand 10 years ago now and the nerve I severed in the process still hasn't fully recovered so one side of my index finger is kinda numb and does odd poo poo when it gets cold in winter.

I dated a girl who broke a glass while washing dishes and cut her thumb on it. It was completely numb between the base and the knuckle. I even bit it as hard as I dared once to test, and she didn't flinch a bit. It's gotta be weird to have a part of your skin that you just can't feel.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nocheez posted:

It's gotta be weird to have a part of your skin that you just can't feel.
Yeah, that's totally the weird part of that story.

I stuck a knife in my thumb hard enough that someone had to hold my hand down so I could wiggle it out.

That thumb still hurts when it gets cold 20 years later.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nocheez posted:

I dated a girl who broke a glass while washing dishes and cut her thumb on it. It was completely numb between the base and the knuckle. I even bit it as hard as I dared once to test, and she didn't flinch a bit. It's gotta be weird to have a part of your skin that you just can't feel.

Oh, oh! I get to trot this one out again:
I worked at a restaurant with a man who was ejected from a vehicle and slid to a stop on his hands/wrists. Totally numb hands while maintaining normal dexterity. I thought he was bullshitting about the lack of feeling until I saw him casually lay down some food into a fryer and drag his fingernails through the 375° grease.
He wasn't allowed on the line after that.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
my buddy worked with a guy that heard if your hand is wet, you can dip it in a fryer unscathed.

so the guy tried it at work.

when he was able to return, the guy found that his new nickname was "Einstein".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I guess you can do it with lead if the conditions are perfect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect

The water turns into a protective layer of steam. Seeing as I recently burned the poo poo out of my hand by steam when making a cup of tea, I'm not about to put my trust into that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Uthor posted:

The water turns into a protective layer of steam. Seeing as I recently burned the poo poo out of my hand by steam when making a cup of tea, I'm not about to put my trust into that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTOCAd2QhGg

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hugh Malone posted:

my buddy worked with a guy that heard if your hand is wet, you can dip it in a fryer unscathed.

so the guy tried it at work.

when he was able to return, the guy found that his new nickname was "Einstein".

Beautiful!

I worked with a guy called Fire Marshall Bill who had a nice trick: clean a fryer and dump a bucket of warm water in it. Get to talking with a new server and "slip" into the water. Never the same reaction twice!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Uthor posted:

Ddi you know you can gargle liquid nitrogen?

It's safe, as long as you remember to spit it out. Don't swallow it.

Bad things happened to someone who did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Shut up Meg posted:

Ddi you know you can gargle liquid nitrogen?

It's safe, as long as you remember to spit it out. Don't swallow it.

Bad things happened to someone who did.

You can swallow it as long as it is not too much. Friend of mine swallowed a bit and was burping all night. Another friend swallowed too much and spent a couple of days in the hospital with an almost ruptured stomach. Liquid nitrogen gets a lot bigger when it returns to the gas state.