Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

And now everybody went to see Joker so Todd Phillips is going to continue getting work even though he hasn't directed a good movie since Old School

Define 'good.'

I didn't pay money for Joker but I did, in fact, watch it. It's perfectly watchable, and quite a bit more ambitious than literally every MCU film of the last decade, on a quarter of the budget.

I don't know if that makes it 'good', but it certainly spells good things for the director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If any movie was made to be a FYAD spoiler title, it would’ve been Joker.

Those cowards.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dillbag posted:

It's like when Kathleen Kennedy hires "the comedy improv guys" for Solo, a movie produced by a mouldy skeleton whose most famous quote is "if it's not on the page, it's not on the screen", then wonders why she's gotta hire Opie to reshoot everything a month later. IDGI.

You would think they would do their research when making director hiring decisions at this budget level. But nooooo, let's just give the movie to this Josh Trank guy, he seems smart.

Josh Trank owns.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Josh Trank owns.

Yeah, the bits of his movie that identifiably made it into the final version of Fantastic 4 are pretty cool, they're just trapped amongst a bunch of garbage. I suppose I can understand why Fox didn't want a body-horror F4, but like with Lord and Miller, mainly seems a case of a studio freaking out when a director tried to actually make the movie they were hired to make.

Also, I hope people are aware that the Dr Dolittle reports y'all are reacting to are just some nonsense someone posted on reddit. Like, here we go:

quote:

J.J. Abrams shoots all his movies nude but for tightly-wound layers of plastic wrap on the theory that it enhances the erotic energies directed into the film. That's why family-friendly Disney let him go for Episode VIII, until having to admit his theory might be true following the mixed reactions to The Last Jedi.

Feel free to get all worked up about that.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 14, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's also true, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did L&M getting fired from Solo let them work on Into the Spiderverse? Because I'd much rather keep that than theoretical Solo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GrandpaPants posted:

Did L&M getting fired from Solo let them work on Into the Spiderverse? Because I'd much rather keep that than theoretical Solo.

They were working on Spider-Verse before then, and probably worked on it through the production. Although it freed them a up a lot more, so that was probably good. But they also didn't direct Spider-Verse, just wrote and produced it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, I hope people are aware that the Dr Dolittle reports y'all are reacting to are just some nonsense someone posted on reddit. Like, here we go:

I mean...we were mostly just reacting to the trailer that makes the movie look like stank dogdick

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean...we were mostly just reacting to the trailer that makes the movie look like stank dogdick

Oh, yeah, it definitely looks like garbage. My comment was limited to the subset of posts taking the reddit stuff seriously.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

As a member of a dead gay comedy forum I never take anything from reddit seriously

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I choose whatever version of reality is most entertaining to me at a given moment. If it’s more fun to believe, then let’s do that!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

Wow. How do these people get hired

Yeah, gently caress these whistleblowers taking work away from hardworking trailer editors. It's their job to tell people movies are poo poo before they come out, dammit!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Another Frozen 2 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRhOIms2EJk

Another Lady & The Tramp remake trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmCQrpagfHQ

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbVsPc2hCP8

Charlize Theron is a flawless Megyn Kelly, holy poo poo.

edit: Reading up on it, ha, Spencer Garrett as Sean Hannity is spot on. The casting director for this deserves an Oscar already.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 15, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why on earth is that movie asking me to empathize with anyone who chose to work at Fox News? The words and actions of every person in that movie should give me the same visceral reaction as Lithgow's makeup does.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Why on earth is that movie asking me to empathize with anyone who chose to work at Fox News? The words and actions of every person in that movie should give me the same visceral reaction as Lithgow's makeup does.

It's going to rile up the conservatives and Fox News viewers (including the king of Fox News viewers himself) when the movie makes bank and headlines. The first scene in the trailer tells me it's not going to make us try to empathize with anyone too too much.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

found this article from 2016

quote:

Maybe it was the time he hurled a script at the Warner Bros. production president, frustrated by the studio’s notes.

It might have been the interview in which he upset “Syriana” collaborators Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney by breaking an edit-room code of silence and revealing he’d ceded post-production control to them on his 2005 movie. ‎

Or it could have been when he entertained shady Albanian financiers because he’d run out of film-financing options.

For the one-time screenwriting wunderkind Stephen Gaghan – he won an Oscar for “Traffic” in the year of his first feature credit — there have been so many colorful stops on the Hollywood road even he has lost count. Few personalities in the modern era have clashed with the entertainment power structure so epically, or stuck to their guns so obdurately.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...d=1571164694603

Get this man another 300MM stat!

e: lol

“It was my wife who said to me, ‘Steve, this is so personal. Here’s a lunatic who couldn’t get the result he wanted and so just did it over and over until he could,’” Gaghan said. “And she’s right. That is me — ‘Oh, there’s a wall, I’ll bang my head against it, oh there’s a wall, let me bang my head against it.’”

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 15, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Reading up on it, ha, Spencer Garrett as Sean Hannity is spot on. The casting director for this deserves an Oscar already.

Everyone watch this for fat John Lithgow.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

loooooooooool

:siren: :siren:

The sun was intensifying above Gaghan’s deck. The director is an unlikely picture of domestic repose these days.. His is a house where a volume of “My Struggle” sits next to a child’s sink kick-stand.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Shageletic posted:

loooooooooool

The sun was intensifying above Gaghan’s deck. The director is an unlikely picture of domestic repose these days.. His is a house where a volume of “My Struggle” sits next to a child’s sink kick-stand.

Are we talking My Struggle by the Norwegian dude? Or, uh, the Austrian one?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

Are we talking My Struggle by the Norwegian dude? Or, uh, the Austrian one?

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gaghan is also responsible for the stories for Call of Duty: Ghosts, and The Division

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo this casting

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Shageletic posted:

loooooooooool

:wtf: i really liked syriana

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

loooooooooool

He supports Ethan Van Sciver too? What a scumbag.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

It's going to rile up the conservatives and Fox News viewers (including the king of Fox News viewers himself) when the movie makes bank and headlines. The first scene in the trailer tells me it's not going to make us try to empathize with anyone too too much.

I just don't see this movie making 'bank', among other yawns of our dilapidated century

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

feedmyleg posted:

Why on earth is that movie asking me to empathize with anyone who chose to work at Fox News?

"From the Acadamy Award winning Co-Writer of the Big Short" :shrug: Speaking of trying to make dispicable people sympathetic. This actually feels like it has a similar vibe going on and will probably make me just as angry.

Richard Kind at Rudy Giuliani though, now that is some inspired casting.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

'These women were so desperate to get to a position where they can personally profit from creating racial hatred that they were willing to suck an old man's cock to get there.' is not really a pitch that makes me interested into seeing this movie I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gravy Jones posted:

Richard Kind at Rudy Giuliani though, now that is some inspired casting.

I’ve gone from not even bothering to watch the trailer yet to being 100% all in. Richard Kind is just the best.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

This is such a radically different style from that last trailer (which I think was a teaser). I'm impressed by whoever's cutting these things.

Also impressed by the casting and makeup. Looks spot on. This might even be worth watching. There's way too much talent involved.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

'These women were so desperate to get to a position where they can personally profit from creating racial hatred that they were willing to suck an old man's cock to get there.' is not really a pitch that makes me interested into seeing this movie I think.

To each their own, I suppose. That sounds pretty interesting to me. I'm curious to see how sympathetic they're going to try to portray everyone. I hate everyone that's on Fox at this point, but maybe the movie will add some dimension that I've missed because I've been consumed with my hatred for them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

so, did goons also have problems with the favourite for having “women [...] desperate to get to a position where they can personally profit”

i’ve heard a lot of film criticism but “these characters are bad people!!” is definitely, uh, a new one

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 16, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The only problem I had with The Favourite was that it's the least interesting film by Lanthimos.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thrawn527 posted:

Nothing related to Fox News deserves an Oscar, full stop. gently caress Fox News and gently caress Hollywood for humanizing women with the same reactionary ideology as Roger Ailes.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How dare Hollywood make a movie depicting the creator of Fox News as a completely ruthless and amoral piece of poo poo. And how dare they try to humanize victims of sexual harassment and assault!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The trailer starts with Kat McKinnon's character just straight up saying that part of working at Fox News is demonizing minorities. Like maybe the film will suck, but the trailer literally tells you right off the bat that everyone there is ethically compromised.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

How dare Hollywood make a movie depicting the creator of Fox News as a completely ruthless and amoral piece of poo poo. And how dare they try to humanize victims of sexual harassment and assault!

Even if they're just scared little ladies, they still have full agency to make their decisions (just like you can if you can believe it!) and choose to be assholes for money and legitimacy. Please don't be from the 50s anymore, it's not a good look. Everyone is aware that he's a pile of garbage, maybe this will show you that ladies can be piles of garbage too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Next up we'll have a sweet bio-pic that finally humanizes Sarah Kellen and Ghislaine Maxwell, and don't you know it the thing will be the talk of the town!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ariza posted:

Even if they're just scared little ladies, they still have full agency to make their decisions (just like you can if you can believe it!) and choose to be assholes for money and legitimacy. Please don't be from the 50s anymore, it's not a good look. Everyone is aware that he's a pile of garbage, maybe this will show you that ladies can be piles of garbage too.

Full agency to... not get sexually harassed, assaulted, or blackmailed? Do you always refer to women as "ladies"? Are you one of those people that thinks that criminals also deserve to be raped in prison because they had full agency when they committed a crime? I just want to be clear that in this movie about sexual predation, your stance on the victims is "they deserved it". We can move on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Full agency to... not get sexually harassed, assaulted, or blackmailed? Do you always refer to women as "ladies"? Are you one of those people that thinks that criminals also deserve to be raped in prison because they had full agency when they committed a crime? I just want to be clear that in this movie about sexual predation, your stance on the victims is "they deserved it". We can move on now.

Yawn. Say what you want to say. Your boring attempts at misunderstanding everything I typed to make yourself feel better about yourself were tired a few years ago.

The Nazis coopted your routine many years ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)