Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sash! posted:

While I do believe teams should go for it more often than they do, never punting is probably a hilariously bad choice. Especially if you're a bad team.

Well yea, even a good team should be punting if it’s 4th and 15, or you’re at your own 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Wisconsin going for it on 4th down 8 times this season (and converting all 8) has been glorious to watch.

You can literally see the other team's defense emotionally deflate with the realization that they're gonna have to stay out there when they were thinking they had done their job stopping them on 3rd.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

This is pretty much Army, unless that's the joke and I'm missing it.

Not a joke. They tend to go for it on 4th down (and short)?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

It's Tuesday and it still really owns that we beat a third-ranked Georgia team on the road with our third-string quarterback. Just lmao

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Wisconsin going for it on 4th down 8 times this season (and converting all 8) has been glorious to watch.

You can literally see the other team's defense emotionally deflate with the realization that they're gonna have to stay out there when they were thinking they had done their job stopping them on 3rd.

hippo! hippo! hippo!

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

While I do believe teams should go for it more often than they do, never punting is probably a hilariously bad choice. Especially if you're a bad team.

I like 2012 Penn State and Bill O'Brien's never kick a field goal team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well yea, even a good team should be punting if it’s 4th and 15, or you’re at your own 10.

as a general rule, in ~*~sports video games~*~ i'll go for it if it's less than 5 yards to convert or if i'm in my opponent's half of the field; in an actual game of football with stakes and where the livelihoods of me and my staff would be on the line i'd still try to convert anything 2 yards or less even if i'm behind my own 20 just because punting is still going to give the other team pretty good field position

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Not a joke. They tend to go for it on 4th down (and short)?

The academies are almost always among the leaders the in fourth down attempts but Army is especially good at it. Last year they converted 86% of them. They basically just get 2.5-3 yards on every single play. They might be worse this year though I haven't watched a ton. They did have an infuriating punt against Michigan

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2019

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

72 years ago, you'd be angry your team didn't punt on first down inside your own 20

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sash! posted:

72 years ago, you'd be angry your team didn't punt on first down inside your own 20

cool picture let me get my microscope

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

cool picture let me get my microscope

Insert Dick pic joke.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

MourningView posted:

The academies are almost always among the leaders the in fourth down attempts but Army is especially good at it. Last year they converted 86% of them. They basically just get 2.5-3 yards on every single play. They might be worse this year though I haven't watched a ton. They did have an infuriating punt against Michigan

Army's my new second team.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Questions:

How long can the Big Ten continue with its current conference alignment? Maybe Minnesota will surprise Wisconsin and win the west (doubt it), but there's no real competition in the west.

The east has the best team in the league in Ohio State, then Penn State and Michigan (we'll see who #2 is after Saturday), and a Michigan State team that has real problems this year, but has been great in the recent past. Then they also have two dogshit teams in Maryland and Rutgers. Something has to give soon in order for the divisions to remain competitive and engaging. I think the Big Ten expected Nebraska to turn the corner by now, but they haven't. Will they ever?

I still think Maryland has upside in football (don't know about Locksley long term) and is competitive in other sports, and there's still significant revenue in the DMV for the Maryland fanbase. However, it's hard to see Rutgers as anything other than a routine 0-9 doormat. Indiana was bad for a long time and other teams like Illinois and Purdue have had some bad stints in recent years, but Rutgers has no history in the conference and they don't have much of a fanbase. How long can the Big Ten continue with this Rutgers charade? I'd trade Rutgers for WVU in a heart beat. Or VT. But I think WVU would gladly leave the Big XII to play more regional games.

Komet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 15, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LLCoolJD posted:

Army's my new second team.

Shame on you if the service academies aren't your #2 teams.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Komet posted:

Questions:

How long can the Big Ten continue with this Rutgers charade? I'd trade Rutgers for WVU in a heart beat. Or VT. But I think WVU would gladly leave the Big XII to play more regional games.

The sarcastic answer for this that is also true is that West Virginia doesn't have enough cable subscribers to make this plausible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Komet posted:

Questions:

How long can the Big Ten continue with its current conference alignment? Maybe Minnesota will surprise Wisconsin and win the west (doubt it), but there's no real competition in the west.

The east has the best team in the league in Ohio State, then Penn State and Michigan (we'll see who #2 is after Saturday), and a Michigan State team that has real problems this year, but has been great in the recent past. Then they also have two dogshit teams in Maryland and Rutgers. Something has to give soon in order for the divisions to remain competitive and engaging. I think the Big Ten expected Nebraska to turn the corner by now, but they haven't. Will they ever?

I still think Maryland has upside in football (don't know about Locksley long term) and is competitive in other sports, and there's still significant revenue in the DMV for the Maryland fanbase. However, it's hard to see Rutgers as anything other than a routine 0-9 doormat. Indiana was bad for a long time and other teams like Illinois and Purdue have had some bad stints in recent years, but Rutgers has no history in the conference and they don't have much of a fanbase. How long can the Big Ten continue with this Rutgers charade? I'd trade Rutgers for WVU in a heart beat. Or VT. But I think WVU would gladly leave the Big XII to play more regional games.

It's about TV viewers and not actual competition hth

Rutgers is as close as the Big Ten can get to the NYC market without it looking like a blatant grab for viewership.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

C-Euro posted:

Rutgers is as close as the Big Ten can get to the NYC market without it looking like a blatant grab for viewership.

it 100% looked like a blatant grab for viewership

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I suppose when Delaney retires, the ADs can vote to kick out Rutgers

worked out for Temple a decade later

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

We had this conversation when Rutgers was invited. No one gives a poo poo about college football in the NYC market. The major cable provider is Optimum, and they don't carry the BTN on any package. The entire premise that Rutgers would be a profitable addition to the conference because of television market was false to begin with. The NYC area is highly urban or suburban, and so DirecTV or Dish aren't factors like they would be in West Virginia. I would bet anything more people watch WVU in West Virginia than Rutgers in the entire 20 million person NYC metro area.

Streaming services are changing the dynamic of TV sports markets. The Big Ten needs to be more proactive about this. I'm pretty disappointed the BTN has surrendered its streaming services to Fox Sports. You can't actually watch these games overseas in the Fox app. I watched a BTN2Go game in Italy ffs.

edit: You have to pay extra for the Optimum sports pack to get BTN, which is basically the default for any out-of-market sports channel on any cable or satellite service.

Komet fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 15, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Whether or not anyone actually watches it matters less than actually getting it on as many cable providers as possible, at least until the cable industry completely dies. Rutgers got it on lower tiers with a lot of NYC cable providers, and the network is making shitloads of money for everyone. It's awful from a football perspective and I hate it but it did what it was supposed to do.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Komet posted:

We had this conversation when Rutgers was invited. No one gives a poo poo about college football in the NYC market. The major cable provider is Optimum, and they don't carry the BTN on any package. The entire premise that Rutgers would be a profitable addition to the conference because of television market was false to begin with. The NYC area is highly urban or suburban, and so DirecTV or Dish aren't factors like they would be in West Virginia. I would bet anything more people watch WVU in West Virginia than Rutgers in the entire 20 million person NYC metro area.

i mean, i didn't say it was a smart blatant grab for viewership

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Komet posted:

Streaming services are changing the dynamic of TV sports markets. The Big Ten needs to be more proactive about this. I'm pretty disappointed the BTN has surrendered its streaming services to Fox Sports. You can't actually watch these games overseas in the Fox app. I watched a BTN2Go game in Italy ffs.

edit: You have to pay extra for the Optimum sports pack to get BTN, which is basically the default for any out-of-market sports channel on any cable or satellite service.

This

As a former NYer I can say confidently that 99% of them don’t give one flying gently caress about college football, the 1% might give a slight gently caress about Syracuse. There are just way too many professional sports teams there that completely overshadow college athletics.

When I moved to Madison I was a blank slate ripe for imprinting.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I assume New Jersey (or at least the southern half of it) is on Comcast, so the BTN is making money there with Rutgers in the Big Ten market, but Optimum is the biggest carrier of the NYC metro area, and they don't carry BTN. I think they did at first, but now they don't. So that's a lot less revenue being generated than Delaney anticipated.

By the way, those people in southern New Jersey are watching Penn State, not Rutgers. Just call New Jersey part of the Big Ten market because of Penn State rather than Rutgers. problem solved there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Komet posted:

Questions:

I guess you could swap the two Michigan schools for Illinois and Northwestern and even things out a bit, but imbalance is just kind of inherent to the divisional structure.

Honestly, I don't think they're even that bad this year. The West certainly isn't has comparatively weak as the worst years for the Big 12 North or SEC East. Iowa is the second or third best team in the West and took the second and third best teams in the East to the wire in back to back weeks.

Edit: If you do want to tinker, I think this one could have reasonable year-to-year balance, as well as maintaining some geographic coherence

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 15, 2019

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Shame on you if the service academies aren't your #2 teams.

Thank you for your service :rolleyes:

And way to shame Scionix.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Wrong thread

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This might be kinda fun. If there were more of us and we had the slightest possibility to be organized I'd say we should vote bomb it to get our favorite guys there but that's not happening.

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1184179828964188162

2012 Collin Klein immediately jumped to mind a someone I'd like the hear Spencer Hall talk about, but I don't remember what else was going on that year.

e: poo poo he was actually third in Heisman voting in 2012, yeah I don't remember that at all.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 15, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Klein got like 20 tds off that stupid goalline jump pass

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

This might be kinda fun. If there were more of us and we had the slightest possibility to be organized I'd say we should vote bomb it to get our favorite guys there but that's not happening.

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1184179828964188162

2012 Collin Klein immediately jumped to mind a someone I'd like the hear Spencer Hall talk about, but I don't remember what else was going on that year.

e: poo poo he was actually third in Heisman voting in 2012, yeah I don't remember that at all.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The only thing I really care about is that Antwan Randle El needs to win for either 2000 or 2001.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LLCoolJD posted:

Thank you for your service :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that you hate the triple option.
And fun.

quote:

And way to shame Scionix.

There's lots of reasons to shame Scionix.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

C'mon, you GOTTA put "hook 'em horns" in every other box

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder what happened to Vince Young, he wasn't all that terrible in the NFL looking at his stats.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

I wonder what happened to Vince Young, he wasn't all that terrible in the NFL looking at his stats.

Cheesecake Factory can humble even the greatest among us.

Most recently he got fired from his job at the Longhorn Network for not showing up to work enough. Now he likely had to do very little for that job anyway, so he must have really worked hard to half-rear end it enough to get UT to fire him.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 15, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Jeff Fisher then the NFL decided to not give him a real 2nd chance

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Suh for 2009

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Injuries, also got fleeced for all his money.

Turns out he has little drive in his post-football career

quote:

On August 14, 2014, Young had been hired by the University of Texas to work for its Division of Diversity and Community Engagement as a development officer for program alumni relations and raising money for programs that assist first-generation and low-income college students His employment with the University of Texas ended on March 9, 2019 due to poor performances and absences, having been given job warnings dating back to 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

vyst posted:

Injuries, also got fleeced for all his money.

More specifically he preceded Mariota in getting ruined by Tennessee's O-Line.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Metapod posted:

Klein got like 20 tds off that stupid goalline jump pass

he was a loving weirdo and amazing to watch play football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Heisman list needs to go back to 97 so I can nominate Troy Davis.