Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah it's pretty much what revvik says. The lifespan difference is negligible, the wet grip difference is negligible, but the turning and at-lean behavior is light-years better, they feel almost like sportbike tyres and have none of that nasty fighting-you sensation PR's give.

Good to have you back Slavvy :cheers:

Never had to "fight" my PR4s on the Bandit but good to hear there's an alternative choice when I go shopping next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Is it like the PR4 thing where the previous tire is better than the new model or is the Angel GT II the tire to get?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Slavvy posted:

"Someone from the internet is worried about you..." and thus she explains to me that one of you breathless lunatics has successfully managed to find me IRL.

:10bux: later and here I am. Still alive (by the slimmest of margins), still poo poo posting. If you want to know what happened PM me, I'm not making GBS threads this one out in public.

1. HenryJ you are 100% correct

2. You guys are pretty much all great

3. KTM are garbage, bite me

I never post here, but I'm glad you're not dead, idiot.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Wb Slavvy, glad your brain didn't win.

Henryj: agree that "taking a break" isn't a magical cure-all, but quitting video games and work and living in a tent and hiking every day allowed me to think about what I need to manage my bipolar disorder and get help, so it's definitely a good thing.
Sometimes it's impossible to make the change you need if some bullshit is occupying all your free time and brain power.

-

I got shunted from behind by a rubbish lorry on Friday in London. The guy was on his phone and didn't notice; in fact he kept shunting me until I moved to the side, tapped on his window, and explained that he had hit me. He started yelling incomprehensibly. I noted his number plate, and the name of the company that contracts to the local council, and kept going. I later reported it to his company, they are "investigating."

I did a walk around of the fjr and it was fine at first glance. However on the way home today, I guess a damaged bolt finally wiggled loose and fell out of my top box rack. A out 5 miles out it fell off on the highway and luckily didn't hit anyone. I rode home with it balanced on my tank.

I wasn't going to report the incident to the police bit now I feel like I have no choice. I hope the truck had a dash/cab cam, in retrospect I should have filmed him sat on his phone in traffic.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 29, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Good to have you back Slavvy :cheers:

Never had to "fight" my PR4s on the Bandit but good to hear there's an alternative choice when I go shopping next.

I wouldn't call it fighting, but you do need noticeably more steering input to get the bike to lean.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

I just think it would be tragic if Razzled wasn't the first to go.

If I’m not dead by forty I haven’t been doing anything right

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

Made it past 40, not worth it IMO

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I've got PM now thanks to this guy:

Super generous, thank you! I'd say I appreciate it but it comes with the orange mark of shame so yeah. But still, thanks!

Pissy slap fights is how you can tell people give a poo poo. It really does matter to me that people get angel gt's instead of pr4's, because I want them to have the most possible fun riding bikes so they tell their friends to get bikes and everyone can have more bike fun.

I'm honestly amazed by how many people here give a gently caress that I'm alive, it's blowing my mind.

Good job not dying. :respek:

Razzled posted:

You're going to live to be like 90. When was the last time you crashed into an anything?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Where's the comparo writeup on Angels vs PRs? As someone who mounts tires on rims, basically all tires are shittier than Michelin Pilots. Everything feels like wood and requires unreasonable force to mount, except Michelin pilots. I haven't seen how they all feel on the road though. Only thing I've spent lots of time on is Conti Motions and PP2CT/PR3/PR4.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yea I’m ready to fight someone over Michelin’s. I’ve never come across a better feeling more confidence inspiring tire than the Pilots and Powers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Where's the comparo writeup on Angels vs PRs? As someone who mounts tires on rims, basically all tires are shittier than Michelin Pilots. Everything feels like wood and requires unreasonable force to mount, except Michelin pilots. I haven't seen how they all feel on the road though. Only thing I've spent lots of time on is Conti Motions and PP2CT/PR3/PR4.

I find pirellis the easiest to fit, followed by Michelins.

Dunlop are the worst, Bridgestone the second worst.

Conti road/sport attack are milder than pirellis but sharper than Michelins. I went from angels to sa3's on my bandit, they're definitely more grippy feeling, which makes sense cause they're a sport tyre, but the bike ended up feeling noticeably blunter. I've been able to dial some of it out by playing with the adjusters but it'll never have that super sweet turn-in feel like it did on angels.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 4, 2019

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Strangely enough the guy who fitted my fjr's AGT2s yesterday wanted feedback in 10kkm as he hasn't known anyone put high mileage on them yet.

Since I've only ridden them home from the shop so far I can only say they feel tall and round.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I find pirellis the easiest to fit, followed by Michelins.

Dunlop are the worst, Bridgestone the second worst.

Conti road/sport attack are milder than pirellis but sharper than Michelins. I went from angels to sa3's on my bandit, they're definitely more grippy feeling, which makes sense cause they're a sport tyre, but the bike ended up feeling noticeably blunter. I've been able to dial some of it out by playing with the adjusters but it'll never have that super sweet turn-in feel like it did on angels.

I tried to put a Sedona desert tire on a 19 and popped two tubes. I gave up, gave it to the local powersports guy in northen Idaho with one side mounted so he could slip a tube in and finish it. He popped two tubes and gave it back to me with the third in and the bead not even seated.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's why you put the tube in the tyre partially inflated before you stick the tyre on the rim. Never once popped a tube since I started doing that.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yup, that's a key factor. Other points is a actual good tire stand to work on, enough lube when applicable, good flat wide tire levers that moves mass, not pinching holes in a accidentally trapped inner tube.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I always pre inflate the tube a bit. It's the only tire I've ever pinched a tube mounting. I blame the narrow rear end 19" and myself for not being very good at mounting tires. I've also since got got much flatter spoons that don't stick as far past the bead of the tire.

e: what spoons do you guys like best

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

I always pre inflate the tube a bit. It's the only tire I've ever pinched a tube mounting. I blame the narrow rear end 19" and myself for not being very good at mounting tires. I've also since got got much flatter spoons that don't stick as far past the bead of the tire.

e: what spoons do you guys like best

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-17%22-mega-tire-iron-p

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Usually only having a tinted visor is fine if I get stuck late at work, I just ride home with it flipped up. Turns out doing that during the Santa Ana winds means every single piece of dust/dirt available will get in your eyes. I was only on the freeway for 7 miles but was having serious issues by the time I got home, actually had to wash my eyes out with water. Of course today I remembered I wanted to pack my clear visor once I had just started the bike and was out of the house, but I'm just going to leave before it's too dark and finish work from home if needed.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Transition visits are The one true way

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like the gold mirrored look, but I forgot I've been meaning to buy a transition visor for exactly this kind of situation. Just purchased it! I can stick with gold in the summer and transition in the winter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I had a helmet with a flip down sun visor, which was pretty cool, but sunglasses are fine so...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Tinted visor + $3 pair of safety glasses just in case.

(I roll with a flip down visor because I actually ride my bikes and am not an idiot (in this case)).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had a flipdown visor for the last few years and I won't go back

Heads up to any Canadians shopping Revzilla, I did not realize their flat rate shipping to Canada was by UPS, and it's one of those ones where UPS charge you fifty goddamn dollars for "import fees" over and above the shipping cost.

For the gloves I was buying, their USPS shipping would have been eight bucks more than the flat rate price listed, and I expect customs fees at the post office would have been around $15. And CBSA doesn't always charge you, either.

Wonder what'll happen if I refuse to accept the shipment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's a hard row to hoe when comparing US places with FortNine. I've managed to get some good bargains from NewEnough/whatevertheyrecallednow even with shipping & customs, but anything remotely new you have to dig into the full costs.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Phy posted:

Wonder what'll happen if I refuse to accept the shipment.

They'll still charge you the import fee. I learned this when buying a corbin seat for my sv650, UPS tried to deliver at the same time three days in a row, claiming I refused delivery the third day. I had afternoon shifts every day that week. First I heard of the package was a bill for import fees in my mailbox.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Look I'm not saying we should just go around shooting people all the time...

but there's a line somewhere.

:nms:https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/dgktp3/welcome_to_new_york_because_screw_you_thats_why/:nms:

Tow Truck "Operator" drags a Duc up onto the flatbed on its side

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 14, 2019

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
imagine how good punching him in the face would feel

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The loving noises that thing makes as it gets dragged up the ramp...

That Duc's totalled, and this does nothing to change my mind that tow-truck drivers are literal criminals who are legally tolerated.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

imagine how good punching him in the face would feel

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I mean that's a free bike once you sit through the paperwork and insurance response times, right?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Don't think of it as a street bike dying but as a track bike being born

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I think I'm a more cautious rider than most, maybe even in CA, but this ride report is totally insane to me. Oil leaking onto the tires? Probably good to ride it from DC to NY. Gets dark and starts raining? Better keep going.

quote:

The good news is, the bike and I made it home, somehow. I’ll probably take it to the dealership soon for the service, and I hope that I haven’t done any terrible damage to the rear drive box after doing such a long trip with it leaking its gear oil.

https://jalopnik.com/somehow-i-didnt-die-on-this-stupid-motorcycle-trip-1839031055

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ought ten posted:

I think I'm a more cautious rider than most, maybe even in CA, but this ride report is totally insane to me. Oil leaking onto the tires? Probably good to ride it from DC to NY. Gets dark and starts raining? Better keep going.

https://jalopnik.com/somehow-i-didnt-die-on-this-stupid-motorcycle-trip-1839031055

jalopnik death wish posted:

At that point, I had ridden my 2013 Moto Guzzi V7

Coydog posted:

I'm really sorry man. You couldn't have predicted this.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
That says up at the top that this is a Ranting Echo Chamber so I'm gonna put this here instead of in its own thread:

Suppose you see some guy in a lifted truck on a highway onramp. He mashes his pedal and you realize he is "rolling coal". You can see plumes of inky soot owning the libs. You feel so owned your lungs cramp a little. Then the truck's rear promptly steps out under load because duh and it goes off the ramp and into a ravine.

I'm sure the STRENGTH of the sentiment varies, but I personally would think 10 times before calling an ambulance to pry his bleeding body out of the wreck. I'd do it. But I'd REALLY doubt the decision. I'd be on my deathbed like "maybe I should've left that guy there, I don't really think I did the right thing" Most in the audience should probably agree that rolling coal is incredibly idiotic.

Then you go on your merry way to your buddy's garage. He shows you his shiny new full exhaust system on his R1. That new exhaust system is on a similar scale of terribleness for the environment to rolling coal.

STOP DECATTING YOUR EXHAUSTS YOU DUMB SHITS

The common refrain for this is usually "It's only a 600 CC engine, it's fine, stop being such a prius driver."

a) wrong
b) gently caress you
c) you piece of poo poo

Good published research from the US on motorcycle emissions that is not sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere in the EPA isn't that easy to find, but like most motorcycle research, we can usually find helpful analogues from Taiwan and other east asian countries.

So, how bad are the emissions from a decatted 125 CC Sym made in 1992?

Chan, Chang-Chuan, Chiu-Kuei Nien, Cheng-Yuan Tsai, and Guor-Rong Her. "Comparison of tail-pipe emissions from motorcycles and passenger cars." Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association 45, no. 2 (1995): 116-124.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10473289.1995.10467347

(Cars 1, 2, and 3 are various 90ies vintage engines I4s, 1.6-1L in size, study was from 1995 so the cars and bikes are both newish and in good working order)

Headline numbers? An uncatalyzed 125 CC 4 stroke scooter produces ~double the NOx, 3-6 times the carbon monoxide, and 6-20 times the unburned hydrocarbons. The only metric where motorcycles are better is CO2, and here it is not by as much as you'd figure.

(California numbers btw, and California is a state with unusually onerous motorcycle regulations, show that motorcycles drive 1% of the vehicle miles and produce about 10% of the smog-generating chemicals https://www.latimes.com/news/la-hy-throttle11-2008jun11-story.html, so this isn't some weird asian problem, this is YOUR problem)

Keep in mind this is a comparison of 90ies car tech to 90ies motorcycle tech. Catalytic converters have gotten MUCH BETTER SINCE THEN. Euro 4-5 will make these numbers drastically worse in terms of a pound-for-pound comparison both of a decatted vs catted motorcycle and of a decatted motorcycle vs car. Keep in mind also, a 125 sym from 1992 is going to be one of the least noxious types of engine in terms of nitrous oxide emissions because it's tiny and compression is low. The higher the compression of an engine, the more NOx you should be expecting. And everybody who puts a full exhaust system on a motorcycle obviously also does a power commander to richen the fuel-air mix, skyrocketing the unburned hydrocarbons. Plus consider the engine size, 5 x for a 600, 8x for a 1000.

A liter bike with a full exhaust system and a power commander is something nobody has researched, as far as emissions go. But let's be honest with ourselves and say that it producing more than 20 times the emissions of a car in terms of NOx, 200+ times the unburned hydrocarbons, and 50+ times the monoxide is not an unreasonable estimate. 200 times. God loving forbid you take the cat off a two stroke.

The more contrarian among you in the audience may be saying: wull... wull... the 2 stroke still sucks poo poo even if has the cat on! Yeah. No poo poo. Stop riding two strokes, they're really bad for the environment. But also, yeah, no poo poo. That's why euro 5 is A THING. All those bigass catalytic converters that you're so happy calling ugly and heavy ARE MORE EFFECTIVE THAN THE ONES FROM THE 90IES. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE HUGE.

So the next time some BikeBandit cautionary tale swaggers up to you with his noise-violation-mobile and takes another 5 years off the lifespan of your eardrums, here's a helpful visual:

This man stands in a football field. Parked on the football field are 200 mid-range American sedans. He bought them, parked them, put them in neutral, and turned them on. They're idling. When he walks over to his bike he explains to you that he's rigged up a clever system. Every time he revs his engine, the engines on all 200 cars also rev. IT GOT HIM A WHOLE 10 HORSEPOWER. EVERYWHERE IN THE REV RANGE! He's going to leave them parked here, and go for a nice ride. See you later breh.

Get hosed

Edit/PS: I would only think twice, not 10 times, about calling an ambulance for a full exhaust bro though. Full exhausts are callous child-like indifference to the welfare of yourself and others. Rolling coal on the other hand is malice aforethought.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 15, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's America dude, calling him an ambulance is a bigger curse than letting him bleed to death. Bury that fucker in medical debt.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wait... did they really drug test a car? :2bong:

Yes I know THC means total hydro carbons

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's America dude, calling him an ambulance is a bigger curse than letting him bleed to death. Bury that fucker in medical debt.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

While a decat is bad for everyone, in an environmental sense, concentrated diesel soot is highly, specifically bad for you. So it's like, yeah it's upsetting that someone doesn't get it that they're killing us all by a thousand tiny cuts by removing their catalytic converter, rolling coal is more on the level of bringing peanut butter sandwiches to work and taunting you to use your epi pen.
Everyone is guilty in some way of destroying the earth in the name of cost, convenience, ignorance, or greed, but nobody's cutting down rainforests or buying palm oil products just to deliberately harm the orangutans. That would take a sick gently caress indeed.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mirconium posted:

That says up at the top that this is a Ranting Echo Chamber so I'm gonna put this here instead of in its own thread:

Suppose you see some guy in a lifted truck on a highway onramp. He mashes his pedal and you realize he is "rolling coal". You can see plumes of inky soot owning the libs. You feel so owned your lungs cramp a little. Then the truck's rear promptly steps out under load because duh and it goes off the ramp and into a ravine.

I'm sure the STRENGTH of the sentiment varies, but I personally would think 10 times before calling an ambulance to pry his bleeding body out of the wreck. I'd do it. But I'd REALLY doubt the decision. I'd be on my deathbed like "maybe I should've left that guy there, I don't really think I did the right thing" Most in the audience should probably agree that rolling coal is incredibly idiotic.

Then you go on your merry way to your buddy's garage. He shows you his shiny new full exhaust system on his R1. That new exhaust system is on a similar scale of terribleness for the environment to rolling coal.

STOP DECATTING YOUR EXHAUSTS YOU DUMB SHITS

The common refrain for this is usually "It's only a 600 CC engine, it's fine, stop being such a prius driver."

a) wrong
b) gently caress you
c) you piece of poo poo

Good published research from the US on motorcycle emissions that is not sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere in the EPA isn't that easy to find, but like most motorcycle research, we can usually find helpful analogues from Taiwan and other east asian countries.

So, how bad are the emissions from a decatted 125 CC Sym made in 1992?

Chan, Chang-Chuan, Chiu-Kuei Nien, Cheng-Yuan Tsai, and Guor-Rong Her. "Comparison of tail-pipe emissions from motorcycles and passenger cars." Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association 45, no. 2 (1995): 116-124.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10473289.1995.10467347

(Cars 1, 2, and 3 are various 90ies vintage engines I4s, 1.6-1L in size, study was from 1995 so the cars and bikes are both newish and in good working order)

Headline numbers? An uncatalyzed 125 CC 4 stroke scooter produces ~double the NOx, 3-6 times the carbon monoxide, and 6-20 times the unburned hydrocarbons. The only metric where motorcycles are better is CO2, and here it is not by as much as you'd figure.

(California numbers btw, and California is a state with unusually onerous motorcycle regulations, show that motorcycles drive 1% of the vehicle miles and produce about 10% of the smog-generating chemicals https://www.latimes.com/news/la-hy-throttle11-2008jun11-story.html, so this isn't some weird asian problem, this is YOUR problem)

Keep in mind this is a comparison of 90ies car tech to 90ies motorcycle tech. Catalytic converters have gotten MUCH BETTER SINCE THEN. Euro 4-5 will make these numbers drastically worse in terms of a pound-for-pound comparison both of a decatted vs catted motorcycle and of a decatted motorcycle vs car. Keep in mind also, a 125 sym from 1992 is going to be one of the least noxious types of engine in terms of nitrous oxide emissions because it's tiny and compression is low. The higher the compression of an engine, the more NOx you should be expecting. And everybody who puts a full exhaust system on a motorcycle obviously also does a power commander to richen the fuel-air mix, skyrocketing the unburned hydrocarbons. Plus consider the engine size, 5 x for a 600, 8x for a 1000.

A liter bike with a full exhaust system and a power commander is something nobody has researched, as far as emissions go. But let's be honest with ourselves and say that it producing more than 20 times the emissions of a car in terms of NOx, 200+ times the unburned hydrocarbons, and 50+ times the monoxide is not an unreasonable estimate. 200 times. God loving forbid you take the cat off a two stroke.

The more contrarian among you in the audience may be saying: wull... wull... the 2 stroke still sucks poo poo even if has the cat on! Yeah. No poo poo. Stop riding two strokes, they're really bad for the environment. But also, yeah, no poo poo. That's why euro 5 is A THING. All those bigass catalytic converters that you're so happy calling ugly and heavy ARE MORE EFFECTIVE THAN THE ONES FROM THE 90IES. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE HUGE.

So the next time some BikeBandit cautionary tale swaggers up to you with his noise-violation-mobile and takes another 5 years off the lifespan of your eardrums, here's a helpful visual:

This man stands in a football field. Parked on the football field are 200 mid-range American sedans. He bought them, parked them, put them in neutral, and turned them on. They're idling. When he walks over to his bike he explains to you that he's rigged up a clever system. Every time he revs his engine, the engines on all 200 cars also rev. IT GOT HIM A WHOLE 10 HORSEPOWER. EVERYWHERE IN THE REV RANGE! He's going to leave them parked here, and go for a nice ride. See you later breh.

Get hosed

Edit/PS: I would only think twice, not 10 times, about calling an ambulance for a full exhaust bro though. Full exhausts are callous child-like indifference to the welfare of yourself and others. Rolling coal on the other hand is malice aforethought.

Yeah this sort of environmental guilt is partly why my Zuma 125 and Ninja 650 will both keep their stock exhausts. That and the fact that, for one, neither sound great with aftermarket systems, and two, I'm cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I am actually sorta glad that manufacturers have partially gotten wise to the game, and now cats are generally under the bike and THEN you get the "muffler", so it doesn't really matter what kind of slip-on you put on. Tons of people still rip the whole thing off, but it's probably alleviated the problem at least a little.