Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, everyone go read Doctor Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

Yes, everyone go read Doctor Doom.

....Well poo poo. Now I need to go buy this. Cant wait to Marvel Unlimited it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I agree, that is the type that would be extremely my poo poo with Doom.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The best part is when Doom is chilling out in his dressing gown and Kang shows up in his room. And Doom's response is
"God drat it Kang. Get your Time Machine fixed."
Because Doom is OG enough that when a time traveller shows up in his house, he just rolls with it.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I’m just giggling about Doom’s handwriting. Shouldn’t it be more, I dunno, Fraktur?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ToddNauck/status/1183772930066370567

I'd read a Nauck-drawn Power Pack book, even if I worry it wouldn't do better than Future Foundation.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/ToddNauck/status/1183772930066370567

I'd read a Nauck-drawn Power Pack book, even if I worry it wouldn't do better than Future Foundation.

Those are really good. Nauck's faces are a great fit for lighter, more optimistic characters, I would just personally recommend making Katie's hair into a proper fishtail plait to differentiate her further were I an editor. I think it would be a nod to her pigtails without being too childish since she's 14.

Someone call Jeremy Whitley to get back on a book again!

(I really enjoyed the recent one-shot of Power Pack. It was really charming.)

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 14, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
well, goddamn. Kevin Feige is now overseeing Marvel's publishing as well as animation and live-action television, with Dan Buckley now reporting to him instead of to Perlmutter (edit: only on the creative/editorial end, Buckley is still apparently reporting to Perlmutter on the business end of things, don't ask me how that's supposed to work)

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1184172169296633861

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 15, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
About time Ike got kicked to the fuckin curb.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

About time Ike got kicked to the fuckin curb.

it sounds like Perlmutter still has some say over the non-creative aspects of Marvel Publishing's operations, which could result in some... interesting friction

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Less Perlmutter is always good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Billzasilver posted:

Less Perlmutter is always good

Is he like, Ike's not evil brother?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well that's interesting

Barry Convex posted:

it sounds like Perlmutter still has some say over the non-creative aspects of Marvel Publishing's operations, which could result in some... interesting friction

e: ngl im gonna get some slight satisfaction out of perlmutter getting shoved out the first time they butt heads

e2: on the flip side, i hope feige doesnt try and make marvel comics into the side adventures of the mcu

site fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 15, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

e2: on the flip side, i hope feige doesnt try and make marvel comics into the side adventures of the mcu

unsurprisingly, I'm seeing a lot of cynical takes predicting this, and while I can kinda understand them - I'm a fan of the MCU, but there's no question that Marvel Studios does have a house style, even if it's not quite as homogeneous as its detractors like to claim - I honestly don't think this is going to happen.

there will be changes at Marvel, but let's face it, superhero comics are not an enormously lucrative business in 2019. their main value is as an IP farm for other media, and I think/hope Feige would understand that heavy-handed interference to make comics more like the MCU would be completely counterproductive

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i dont really think feige himself is stupid enough to not realize that, but i can see the alans putting him in the big chair with the mandate of "okay now do here what you did with the mcu"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The biggest difference is that the heads of Marvel now will know "So, 5 years down the road we're doing the Night Thrasher movie, so we need to start bringing him into the comics" instead "Oh poo poo Night Thrasher is coming out next year, time for 5 minis and 3 teams books featuring him out of nowhere!"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Marvel always pushes titles at the same time as movies, but I’ve never seen them successfully match settings. I think Black Panther had amnesia in space when his movie came out. The new Spider-Verse comic is specifically for the movie fans, and even that features completely new worlds like the punk universe and black and white manga universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Billzasilver posted:

I think Black Panther had amnesia in space when his movie came out.

I do believe he still has amnesia in space. At least last time I checked he did. The comic was so good before that crap.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1184192577542733824

Bye, Rob! I've seldom seen someone burn through their 'nice guy' cred at such a clip.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

I do believe he still has amnesia in space. At least last time I checked he did. The comic was so good before that crap.

He no longer has amnesia in space, though he is still dealing with some of the fallout of that story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Billzasilver posted:

Marvel always pushes titles at the same time as movies, but I’ve never seen them successfully match settings. I think Black Panther had amnesia in space when his movie came out. The new Spider-Verse comic is specifically for the movie fans, and even that features completely new worlds like the punk universe and black and white manga universe.

Coates and Coogler discussed their respective book and film while both were in production It’s why the suit created by the comic’s artist showed up in the movie before the comic was released.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Otto Schmidt is drawing a Hawkeye series

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/15/matthew-rosenberg-otto-schmidt-hawkeye-freefall-marvel-comics-january/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Otto's work on Green Arrow was fantastic. He should excel at this book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

It's Clint and written by Rosenberg so....

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I very strongly doubt that Green Arrow Rebirth would be as fondly remembered if it weren't for Otto's fantastic artwork on the series, so I think he could do the same thing here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He and Juan Ferreyra, and Steven Byrne alternating pretty much gave Green Arrow the best art team in the business during that time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'll read a book with bad art and great writing, I won't read a book with great art and bad writing. After his X-Men run, Roseburg if a writer I'll actively avoid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The biggest difference is that the heads of Marvel now will know "So, 5 years down the road we're doing the Night Thrasher movie, so we need to start bringing him into the comics" instead "Oh poo poo Night Thrasher is coming out next year, time for 5 minis and 3 teams books featuring him out of nowhere!"

Honestly I think I prefer the latter rather than the former. I think gradually introducing them might be good overall, it won't help the problem of the character's increased presence feeling forced. At least in the current "system", so to speak, if the movie's bad or a character is just written poorly, they can just go away after those minis and team books. But if they are brought in gradually, well then, they're just gonna be stuck in the comics all over the place for a while. Like, remember when the Inhumans were everywhere for a while, even after their planned movie turned into a TV show and then that show got canned for being loving awful? That time period was weird. (pretty much all the Inhuman comics were good though and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise)

Of course, I say all this knowing that just recently there was an event that ended a multi-year build up storyline of Thor fighting Malekith, the villain of Thor 2, well known as one of the least-liked MCU films

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

On the other hand, it might help us get movies based on cool comic stuff faster.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

my headcanon is now that mahershala ali called jason aaron and told him to put blade in the avengers before he called kevin feige

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Very much enjoyed Sea [Scorpia] Hunter and the Sirenas she's in lesbians with in the backup story in Aero #4. Wave & Aero's reaction was very cute. :3: The main story is pretty cool too, with the dual narratives.

Captain Marvel #11 was really good. Genuinely impressive superheroics, and another drat good twist involving Star.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
look who has a cameo in contagion

Metalshark posted:

Very much enjoyed Sea [Scorpia] Hunter and the Sirenas she's in lesbians with in the backup story in Aero #4. Wave & Aero's reaction was very cute. :3:

yeah i enjoyed that as well

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

This looks like so much fun and I cannot wait: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/felicia-hardy-gets-her-claws-into-spider-man-in-black-cat-annual-1 :allears:

I love her dress and Vazquez' art. So expressive! Also, Bruno and Dr Korpse, natch.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Metalshark posted:

This looks like so much fun and I cannot wait: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/felicia-hardy-gets-her-claws-into-spider-man-in-black-cat-annual-1 :allears:

I love her dress and Vazquez' art. So expressive! Also, Bruno and Dr Korpse, natch.

I love me when artists use spidey's eyes to reflect his mood, and he is so disgruntled in that picture I am loving it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Joey does an excellent job with spider-expressions.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Soonmot posted:

I'll read a book with bad art and great writing, I won't read a book with great art and bad writing. After his X-Men run, Roseburg if a writer I'll actively avoid.

Rosenberg isn't exactly in my top 10, but he killed it on X-Force earlier this year. I'm willing to give him another shot if only to feast my eyes on some more Otto Schmidt art.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Rosenberg isn't exactly in my top 10, but he killed it on X-Force earlier this year. I'm willing to give him another shot if only to feast my eyes on some more Otto Schmidt art.

Rosenberg never wrote X-Force, that was Ed Brisson

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alaois posted:

Rosenberg never wrote X-Force, that was Ed Brisson

I got my middling X-Men writers mixed up. :saddowns:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dunno how much you can blame them for the middling part when Hickman’s line was in preparation for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Parallax posted:

dunno how much you can blame them for the middling part when Hickman’s line was in preparation for years

As I recall, the directive from Marvel for series leading up to Hickman's start was basically "go ham" so yeah you can certainly blame them.