Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The communists are right imo, TV is making people dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Looking at the absentee vote map it's not that surprising that northern Portugal abstained more. CDU losing and booting Heloísa Apolónia is a poor result but she seemed to be thrown under the bus.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well it didn't take too long for IL to be sold as the "Right Wing Bloco" and also for it to be sold as the good cop of the duo with Chega being the bad cop.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

spankmeister posted:

The communists are right imo, TV is making people dumb

The internet certainly is, something we all knew ages ago or we wouldn't be posting in this dead gay forum.

This was a bad election with some silver linings. The left got over 50% of the votes and that seems here to stay, if ps doesn't completely poo poo the bed in the next four years.
Be slightly increased their votes, buti think they kinda plateaued.
Livre has finally made it in, they are intelectual Lefties that are kinda ineffectual but are good on the debate stage and should be a counterweight to IL.

Despite abstention going up in total percentage points, more people actually went out and voted than last time.we need to review and update the electoral books.the census in 2020 should help.a couple of good measures were introduced like automatic voter registration and expanded early voting.we should continue to do more of that.
Santana Lopes might be dead again politically, but the dude has more lives than a ancient cursed mummy cat.

The bad news:
PCP took a clobbering.they are in a kinda crossroads, their leadership is old, and despite the rank and file being active and engaged, they really dropped the ball on the whole green movement, despite having the nominal representative of the green party in their list.
Jeronimo is a cool dude, the old guard are really millitant and can get a picket line of 300 going in just a couple of hours, but they need fresh new blood to be the face of the party. I like Duarte Alves, but the dude is still green as gently caress.
Pan completely took their lunch in this front, despite being a thoroughly bourgeois party whose big eco policies is finning people who throw cigarette butts into the street, and a new tax on plastic bags.revolutionary this ain't.
Chega managed to get one guy elected, and that's one too many.they're the "gently caress the gipsies and migrants, let's start the death penalty" guys. The fact that they got most of their voters from poorer areas should be a massive warning bell about the possibility of a right wing populist movement showing up.
IL are worse, because they are the ideological libertarians with deep pockets, are very right wing populist, and they will just straight lie to your face and they don't give a poo poo.they are also climate change deniers (as in, sure climate change is happening but it's not man made and dealing with it presents wonderful new business opportunities).
They should be put down as fast as possible.the increased scrutiny might help with that, but they have very deep pockets and a really agile and good social media presence, besides having a couple of newspapers on their corner.
CDS absolutely cratered, this would be usually good news, but that means they are ripe for the taking from either IL or chega.despite all it's faults, CDS is a national party, with the respective infrastructure and conections.if they get coopted things will get lovely.on the other hand, this might be the fastest path for Santana to return so...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Chega got a major push in Loures which is basically copland and kind of a nazi breeding ground.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Heh, those Portugese results sound great to someone from where the left is tiny and fragmented, and "centrists", conservatives and right wing nationalists get most of the vote, which describes almost everywhere in Europe except Portugal.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Entropist posted:

Heh, those Portugese results sound great to someone from where the left is tiny and fragmented, and "centrists", conservatives and right wing nationalists get most of the vote, which describes almost everywhere in Europe except Portugal.

Yeah and we're trying to keep it that way.
20 years ago the extent of political activity for the Nazis and chuds was them showing up and getting kicked in the dick, repeatedly.
Now the leader of the Nazi party was a guest in morning shows, and a openly fascist gently caress gets elected to parliament, while the cops are (more)full of them.
It's time to put the boot in.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hey now, the appearance on the morning show outright killed the career of the host and killed off a bunch of the investment of the broadcaster that hosted said talk show. Which means Correio da Manha (think Daily Mail/The Sun) is attempting to purchase the channel to make it more liberty minded. And by that, I mean firing the commentator that once in a while wakes up and goes "I should probably a few words as to why there's a migrant caravan from Not-Venezuela" or "Ok can you for once talk about Yemen for a bit".
Hell I'm surprised that Tvi isn't the one with the daily cop power hour show at this point.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Oct 7, 2019

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1181538728512249856?s=20

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
this was cool

https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/1182217502643937280

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1183649568996679680?s=19

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

I live about 5 minutes away from the Catalan parliament building and I haven't heard any helicopters so far

Captain Splendid has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Oct 14, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

How many of francos people ended up in jail

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Now I can hear the helicopter

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

How many of francos people ended up in jail

Zero. You provably knew but...

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
The Dutch farmers are protesting new rules on carbon nitrogen emissions, having been riled up by the far right parties. They believe climate change and the sp-called "environment" is nothing but a leftist lie and that they shouldnt have to put up with harsh regulations.

They are occupying the highways with tractors and creating traffic jams on purpose:

https://twitter.com/IntoBits/status/1183681107851698176?s=19

They are honking their horns in unison:

https://twitter.com/petraborsboom/status/1183684275478126594?s=19

They are making a mess, dragging their tractors through the city:

https://twitter.com/LSchuren/status/1183707140793470976?s=19

Lots of confrontations with police. 130 were arrested so far, and must each pay a €380 fine

https://twitter.com/TjerkBos/status/1183687155996119040?s=19

One of them ran over a police horse with his tractor.

They are storming the provincial chamber of Groningen.

https://twitter.com/Holsappel/status/1183751729151664128?s=19

https://twitter.com/rtvnoord/status/1183760320768200709?s=19

Also this is happening:

https://twitter.com/rutger_/status/1183762344947732480?s=19

twoday has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Oct 15, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Those farmers should be locked up

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rolling coal and all variants should be criminally prosecuted

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

smh at this flagrant display of bootlicking

you have to support the nazi farmers or you're literally exactly like a blue lives matter chud don't you know

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is that Baudet? i've said it once in this thread before, but he gives me a real Sideshow Bob vibe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lawman 0 posted:

Those farmers should be locked up
I believe the policy you're looking for is dekulakization.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

The Dutch farmers are protesting new rules on carbon emissions*
* Nitrogen, specifically as pertains letting it accumulate into nature preserves. But yes. Its a very dumb entirely avoidable situation caused by lax politicians and greedy expansions /loans.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I do not stand with the farmers. Also both Geert and Baudet should be shot out of a canon into the sun. Thanks for listening.

E: Also the farmers seem really surprised not everyone is on their side. They seem to think 90% of the population are pulling for them so when they get flipped off it's a lol.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/erikwill/status/1183420569527771137

twoday
May 4, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

* Nitrogen, specifically as pertains letting it accumulate into nature preserves. But yes. Its a very dumb entirely avoidable situation caused by lax politicians and greedy expansions /loans.

Er, yes, got my stoffen confused for a second

twoday
May 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

is that Baudet? i've said it once in this thread before, but he gives me a real Sideshow Bob vibe

Yeah, its him, and his philosophy requires relegating those farmers to serfdom

twoday
May 4, 2005

[farming intensifies]

https://twitter.com/tomwisseborn/status/1183771099445772291?s=19

https://twitter.com/CrijnJanssen/status/1183775883540209665?s=19

Edit: no wait, apparently the sheep thing was supposed to happen

twoday has issued a correction as of 09:37 on Oct 15, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Will nobody trade for my wool??!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah the sheep is a normal thing there, for many years they've had city flocks that they use to trim the grass in the parks, and they just walk through the city with them to get them from place to place. Pretty cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sheep are better than police horses, their poop is easy to sweep up and their fleece has oils that preserve metals.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Entropist posted:

Yeah the sheep is a normal thing there, for many years they've had city flocks that they use to trim the grass in the parks, and they just walk through the city with them to get them from place to place. Pretty cool.

That's cool. Once I managed to talk my way into the schatkamer of Leeuwarden and they had some fancy metal collars there that used to belong to swans and herons that used to live in the city in the middle ages. The herons would clean up after the fish market, and the swans would clean the canals, and the collars had the seal of the city on them to indicate that the birds belonged to the city and could not be hunted. Pretty neat. IIRC some markets still have pet herons

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hmm, why doesn't NATO stand up to NATO? :thunk:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
why is catalonia wealthier than the rest of spain?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Barcelona is somewhat of a banking and tech hub state ala California, hosting both Spanish Amazon hubs and several major research facilities. It's where last year's Black Friday Amazon Strike was organized, along with the German hub. And why there was an exchange between Amazon and the Barcelona police to ask them to crack their skull, if I recall.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is the modern iteration of the independence movement like a liberal tax evasion thing? i think i read somewhere that they rail against the rest of spain as welfare sponges lol

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cargo cult posted:

is the modern iteration of the independence movement like a liberal tax evasion thing? i think i read somewhere that they rail against the rest of spain as welfare sponges lol

I'd say the first world form of it, but the UK disproves that several times over.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cargo cult posted:

why is catalonia wealthier than the rest of spain?
it's historically one of the more industrialized parts of the country, along with the Basque Country

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cargo cult posted:

The legacy of the American War of Independence lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's historically one of the more industrialized parts of the country, along with the Basque Country

Also the rural parts of Spain can get very rural