Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Inspection and sewer scope done, this place honestly keeps getting better. The whole crawlspace is encapsulated, tight but don't have to drag myself over plastic and dirt to reinsulate the ducting. The roof penetrations need some flashing work, especially the chimney but everything in the attic was dry as a bone despite some rain over the past couple weeks. Even had lights, flooring and didn't stink like rat turds! Biggest issues besides the roof flashing and adding insulation, we need to rewire the whole house (built 1959, GFCIs in the bathrooms and some random grounded outlets but two prong plugs throughout the rest), and replacing all the siding some time in the near future. Metal flashing was install at the bottom of siding to step over the foundation but the flashing has warped and leans into the house. This was the first thing I noticed when walking around the house but the eaves have good overhangs and the siding is in good shape for the most part, definitely a priority though. All costs we prepared for prior to making our offer. I swear the only thing I'm dreading about this place is they painted over wallpaper in one of the bathrooms, pretty sure I'll just say screw it and rip all the drywall out. That'd be a good time to replace the shower surround though...and cabinets and counter top...we're going to need more money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

gtkor posted:

Generally speaking, the only scenario on a conventional (Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac) backed conforming loan that a lender would ask to verify more than current funds to close balance is if you are using an asset that requires liquidation. Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, 401k/IRA etc, all require proof of liquidation if the balance is less than 120% of the funds to close total.

If you are not using any of those types of assets, they should not be trying to verify more than what is required currently.

Quick caveat off of this is your lender may have "backed out" funds from your current asset balance. If you were providing a 15k EMD for instance, and it had not cleared the bank statement at the time of initial underwrite, a lot of UWs would just reduce your current balance by 15k, since they assume the EMD will come from that account anyway. That could cause your current balance to be lower in practice, than what is actually on the bank statements you sent in. This also applies to any debt that may be paid off in order to qualify for your loan.

Thanks for all this, that's weird since the only thing I should be on the hook for is the funds to close and the taxes/insurance since those are due the next month. I'll ask it.

Having all this cash in one account I'm saying why oh why am I buying :smithicide:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally ready to refinance and this is the e-mail I just got:

quote:

I will ask but I am not doing this back and forth. If I get 3 than you go with me and that is it. Sorry to be blunt but this is not a game. I need in writing they offer 3.0 zero points

lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

lol

:toot: on breaking their spirit.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I played some back and forth between two people on our refi, one of whom (Bank of America’s guy) was insistent he would absolutely match any thing no problem. Email us once or twice a day to say “have you decided to go with us yet?”

I sent him the loan estimate form and he went completely radio silent, except for the spam emails I get from BoA with his name on top. Tee hee.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

lol

Wow that's a dank rear end rate though!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

lol
You know you're getting a good deal when the sales guy starts getting salty about it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wow that's a dank rear end rate though!

Dik Hz posted:

You know you're getting a good deal when the sales guy starts getting salty about it.

Yeah I'm finally doing it. 3% on a 15-year fixed seems pretty good, and better than the 10/1 ARM I got a year ago at 4.125%. I actually went with the OTHER bank (not the one that sent the salty e-mail) because gently caress that guy for thinking he's doing me a favor. (And because 5/3rd was like 1.5k-2k cheaper in closing costs).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah I'm finally doing it. 3% on a 15-year fixed seems pretty good, and better than the 10/1 ARM I got a year ago at 4.125%. I actually went with the OTHER bank (not the one that sent the salty e-mail) because gently caress that guy for thinking he's doing me a favor. (And because 5/3rd was like 1.5k-2k cheaper in closing costs).

You could burn it down by sending him the loan estimate with the little "LOCKED" checkbox on it. Buy the Land Rover.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

You could burn it down by sending him the loan estimate with the little "LOCKED" checkbox on it.

lol

quote:

Buy the Land Rover.

Unfortunately garage space being what it is, the backup car that sits outside in the weather needs to reliably take my wife to work 40 miles away. :sigh:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My realtor asks me this weekend about a commitment letter from the mortgage company. I don't have one or anything that really looks like one. She talks to the mortgage person and they say they sent it a few weeks ago. I don't have one or anything that really looks like one. Holiday weekend and my mortgage person is on vacation until the 21st, and the commit date is the 17th.

E: maybe I just found something that looks like a commitment letter from a few weeks ago in an email with neither the CU name nor the mortgage person's name associated with it (and thus not coming up in my email searches). We'll see if that's good enough!

E2: Nope!

carticket fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 15, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

lol

Unfortunately garage space being what it is, the backup car that sits outside in the weather needs to reliably take my wife to work 40 miles away. :sigh:

This is why we're in the home buying thread.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Not an edit 3: My mortgage person emails me stuff, I get automated emails on loan status, there is a website storing documents that have been esigned, but up until a few minutes ago, I did not know there was a fourth way for me to receive information. On the CU website, there is a loan status burried in the account info. Apparently that was good enough for a commitment letter (not the first thing I found, but a second thing I had found).

Also, the appraisal came in $9k over. Huzzah, now I've got 13% equity. (I know it doesn't really work quite like this)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

lol

Who are you looking at? I'm looking for a refi too and offering a referral might help your deal lol

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tunicate posted:

Who are you looking at? I'm looking for a refi too and offering a referral might help your deal lol

I'm going through 5/3rd bank.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Mr. Powers posted:

Also, the appraisal came in $9k over. Huzzah, now I've got 13% equity. (I know it doesn't really work quite like this)

Just ordered our appraisal. How does this work?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A bank is going to consider the lower of the purchase price or the appraisal for equity or down payment needed

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Debated posting here or the insurance thread.

Just got contracts locked down for selling in TN and buying in OR. Planning to self move across the country with a uhaul truck.

Anyone have experience or advice on best insurance methods to cover driving ~2400 miles with tens of thousands of dollars of belongings?

I'm planning to call USAA tomorrow and see what they have to say or offer. I doubt my Chase CC will cover belongings insurance on the trip.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Further commitment letter talk: I double checked with my realtor about what I sent last night and she made it sound like it's obviously not what we needed even though her email last night said otherwise. Called the CU and left a message for the person filling in and they didn't even call back, just sent the document titled MORTGAGE LOAN COMMITMENT which is definitely not something I had ever been sent nor something I had ever signed.

We're good now. Just need to get insurance and movers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tangy yet delightful posted:

Debated posting here or the insurance thread.

Just got contracts locked down for selling in TN and buying in OR. Planning to self move across the country with a uhaul truck.

Anyone have experience or advice on best insurance methods to cover driving ~2400 miles with tens of thousands of dollars of belongings?

I'm planning to call USAA tomorrow and see what they have to say or offer. I doubt my Chase CC will cover belongings insurance on the trip.

Uhaul sells content insurance but it’s very limited to certain accidents and only pays ACV.

What sort of loss are you looking to cover?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Uhaul sells content insurance but it’s very limited to certain accidents and only pays ACV.

What sort of loss are you looking to cover?

I suppose that optimally it would cover any accident (my fault or not) or fire or theft. Do you know any non-legalese on how uhaul would derive ACV (actual cash value)? Obviously replacement value would be better but if ACV isn't some bullshit like my computer has 10% value left and so on.

Unless you mean value of loss in which case I could probably do some estimating but standard all wordly possessions stuff with a ton of expensive kitchen stuff and electronics (although I think my wife might just fly with most of her cameras/lenses).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The U-Haul plan doesn't cover theft. (collision, fire, windstorm, rollover) Not an insurance expert but Actual Cash Value is almost always bullshit. I've always paid for replacement cost coverage on my insurance policies.

You might have better luck in the insurance thread. I'm not sure how to cover your specific scenario.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll crosspost, thanks!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mortgage signed, obviously had to be done in person in the suspiciously plush bank. Half fixed for 10 years at 1.2%, a quarter for 5 years at 0.95% and then a quarter variable rate. The notary was actually cheaper than expected at 2.8% of the sale price.

I've been looking for a nice dining table and bench made from old wood. Ludicrously expensive here so I've found a place in France that's more reasonable... Except the delivery costs are €1300 + 21% VAT. gently caress.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

knox_harrington posted:

Mortgage signed, obviously had to be done in person in the suspiciously plush bank. Half fixed for 10 years at 1.2%, a quarter for 5 years at 0.95% and then a quarter variable rate. The notary was actually cheaper than expected at 2.8% of the sale price.

I've been looking for a nice dining table and bench made from old wood. Ludicrously expensive here so I've found a place in France that's more reasonable... Except the delivery costs are €1300 + 21% VAT. gently caress.

Time to take up a woodworking hobby

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So a house a few doors down from me just went on the market recently and I happened across the Zillow listing and read this at the end of the description.

Home may be under audio/video surveillance.

Now, I can understand if it said home comes with audo/video camera system, as in, cameras watching the house, hell I've got a few cameras around my house. For it to specifically say it may be under audio/video surveillance though, wtf could that mean?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

So a house a few doors down from me just went on the market recently and I happened across the Zillow listing and read this at the end of the description.

Now, I can understand if it said home comes with audo/video camera system, as in, cameras watching the house, hell I've got a few cameras around my house. For it to specifically say it may be under audio/video surveillance though, wtf could that mean?

In most (all) areas I'm aware of it is illegal or at least not allowed by some RE ethics (?) to have A/V recording during people visiting your home as potential purchasers. But maybe if you say you are doing it then it's fine?

It's probably bad because you could easily use a system like that to discriminate based on physical appearance.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Probably that there will be recording equipment in the house while it’s being shown. Realtor gave us a heads up when we checked a few places out that whatever we say might be heard by the seller

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

In most (all) areas I'm aware of it is illegal or at least not allowed by some RE ethics (?) to have A/V recording during people visiting your home as potential purchasers. But maybe if you say you are doing it then it's fine?

It's probably bad because you could easily use a system like that to discriminate based on physical appearance.

zelah posted:

Probably that there will be recording equipment in the house while it’s being shown. Realtor gave us a heads up when we checked a few places out that whatever we say might be heard by the seller

Ya you guys are right, a quick google search shows this is a new thing to do for sellers and that realtors are coming up with some standard way of letting buyers know it's happening.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mattfl posted:

Wiretap laws make clear notice of recording equipment mandatory for times where there is an expectation of privacy - such as in a seemingly empty home you are a guest in. It also deters would be theives if it's not occupied. This is an easy way to say there was notice. It's doubly important in 2 party states.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, now that I'm on to the next phase, how do I start with home insurance? I have auto (and apparently still have HO6 for my condo that I haven't owned for 6 months) with Progressive currently, but I wasn't all that happy with their HO6 rates after they changed underwriters. I don't want to pay an absurd amount but I don't want to spend forever shopping around. I know there's an insurance thread, but I looked in there and I still feel like this is the better place to ask.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr. Powers posted:

So, now that I'm on to the next phase, how do I start with home insurance? I have auto (and apparently still have HO6 for my condo that I haven't owned for 6 months) with Progressive currently, but I wasn't all that happy with their HO6 rates after they changed underwriters. I don't want to pay an absurd amount but I don't want to spend forever shopping around. I know there's an insurance thread, but I looked in there and I still feel like this is the better place to ask.

Find a local independent insurance agent in your area with good reviews. Call them up and have them get you a quote. An independent agent can quote like 30 or 50 companies at once and you the best rate (probably). Don't waste your time getting quotes directly from insurance companies online.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

skipdogg posted:

Find a local independent insurance agent in your area with good reviews. Call them up and have them get you a quote. An independent agent can quote like 30 or 50 companies at once and you the best rate (probably). Don't waste your time getting quotes directly from insurance companies online.

Done. Didn't call them because it's 8PM, but I used the online contact form, and I'm going to try to go to the office on my Off-friday. Also going to try to get movers to estimate the storage unit move.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You shouldn't need to visit their office. You'll get a call asking for some extra info and they should promptly get back to you. If they don't it's a red flag.

edit: very cool visit away

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 17, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

skipdogg posted:

You shouldn't need to visit their office. You'll get a call asking for some extra info and they should promptly get back to you. If they don't it's a red flag.

I want to visit so we can talk about auto, umbrella, and future "classic car" type policy in addition.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Wiretap laws make clear notice of recording equipment mandatory for times where there is an expectation of privacy - such as in a seemingly empty home you are a guest in. It also deters would be theives if it's not occupied. This is an easy way to say there was notice. It's doubly important in 2 party states.

There is no objective expectation of privacy when touring someone else's home even in two party or all party consent states. You should expect that the sellers are recording you when touring a home for sale.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Now I'm picturing someone is going for a quick sale to flee because the fuzz is onto them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lampey posted:

There is no objective expectation of privacy when touring someone else's home even in two party or all party consent states. You should expect that the sellers are recording you when touring a home for sale.

Seriously.....in what jurisdiction would this have the slightest expectation of privacy?

And you're not a guest, you're a potential client. Don't get confused about how a home turns from "a personal space you can be invited" to "an item you are evaluating that is up for sale" when you are showing up as a potential buyer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

lampey posted:

This may be another case of the people's republic of California being different - our laws include places where a reasonable person would believe that a conversation is private, even in public / semi-public spaces. If a house is unoccupied at the time of the visit a reasonable person could argue they believed that they were having a private conversation.

The problem is that reasonable people are assholes. It may simply be easier to give notice than risk the lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hell yeah I own a house now.