Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't think any state tells you how close you were unless you actually fail.

Florida sends you your score, but it comes in the mail later. If you fail, they send you a section by section breakdown and your percentile. Passing just gets your grade.

I passed by 0.5 points, so I almost got the perfect score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember reading “passed” and then losing all other interest in my bar results

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Toona the Cat posted:

. . . my exams sucked rear end.

I mean, they say you're supposed to take the exam in the same state you were in when you studied.

Seriously though, congratulations!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

SlyFrog posted:

I mean, they say you're supposed to take the exam in the same state you were in when you studied.

Lmao

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Thanks all. Time to get drunk(er)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
When I got my results I jumped up and accidentally punched a hole in our closet door.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also pretend that here instead of posting congratulations, I did a garbage photoshop of the pants from sisterhood of the traveling pants getting its law license

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Congrats Toona, now there is truly no escape for you.

Time to update the Toona saga in the op.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Update:

Toona the Cat...Esquire. 😎

Goondolences

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toona the Cat posted:

Thanks you all. I never told this thread this but I literally graduated 5th from the bottom in my class. I spent way too much time doing anything but studying, and my exams sucked rear end. Taking the year off to actually get my act together was huge and I’m so relieved.

God's perfect idiot

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Soothing Vapors posted:

God's perfect idiot lawyer

ftfy

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

I think I prefer

Soothing Vapors posted:

God's perfect idiot, Esquire

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
That’s fair.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Toona the Cat posted:

Update:

Toona the Cat...Esquire. 😎

Congrats

Lol moron

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

but you repeat yourself

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Welp. My wife’s friend got assassinated while serving as an acting AG in Micronesia.

Don’t go, no jobs, get shot in your front yard after walking your dog.

gently caress.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Abugadu posted:

Welp. My wife’s friend got assassinated while serving as an acting AG in Micronesia.

gently caress.

gently caress.

Condolences man.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oof, that's awful. I'm sorry Abugadu.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jesus Christ

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

New opening for island law, line up goons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My condolences, Abugadu. I hope they nail the bastard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
As the finger on the monkey paw curls, abugadu realized the price he paid for those two hands to the face penalties last night.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Abugadu posted:

gently caress.

Aw gently caress, I'm sorry man.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
That's horrible and incredibly brazen. Sorry for your and your wife's loss.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
gently caress

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Jfc just read an article about it. She sounded like an absolutely amazing person and it’s bullshit that she got murdered for fighting the good fight

Condolences to you and your wife and to the Bergeron family

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
It's a hosed up world.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
She’d gotten some threatening emails, ignored them because she was leaving the island before the end of the month.

They have a good idea of who it was. Fucker shot the dog too.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sorry about your friend Abugadu.

Mr. Nice! posted:

As the finger on the monkey paw curls, abugadu realized the price he paid for those two hands to the face penalties last night.

probably not the time, but lolled anyway

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My criminal law professor was iced in his driveway a few years back, but that was because of a custody battle with his ex wife not because he was prosecuting someone.

I do hope they bring them to justice, and I hope her family and friends are doing ok.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Try Zzquill or any liquid Benadryl sleep aid, they’re basically for this exact use case.

Remeron was mentioned too.

The first step to getting better sleep is sleep hygiene. No caffeine after 3pm. Minimize alcohol and food before bed. No TV / phone / reading in bed. Try not to exercise before bed. These interventions are as effective as medication and should be tried first.

If you’re going to take medication, do it on an as needed basis as prolonged use can cause tolerances to develop and you might not need a medication every night. With regards to OTC medication:

If you’re having trouble with just going to bed -> melatonin. Safe medication / hormone. It resets your biological clock so only take it 1x per day. Also don’t go overboard. You only need like 3-5 mg.

Benadryl / diphenhydramine: it’s an antihistamine. Lowest dose that’s effective and take as needed. If you have seasonal allergies you don’t have to take your prescribed because it would be redundant. Prolonged use can cause cognitive problems but that’s usually only in the elderly. (We are talking years+ use). Make sure you aren’t getting Benadryl with any added medications like pseudoephedrine or phenylepherine as that can wake you up.

That’s basically all the OTC meds worth anything.

Prescription meds have their advantages and disadvantages and should be tailored to the person. Like if you’re having nightmares, that would be a different medication. Also you need to make sure there isn’t a medical cause for poor sleep like sleep apnea. I usually go with a medication called trazodone due to its low side effect profile over the “Z drugs” (Ambien, etc) which have a bunch of nasty interactions with alcohol and can cause blackouts.

I also get a lot of people that take Xanax for sleep, and it’s very frustrating because it screws with your sleep architecture and minimizes REM sleep.

Remeron is a good medication for depression. Also causes drowsiness at low doses and helps with sleep. It can be tricky to take because at high doses for depression, it wakes you up. So sometimes instead of taking it before bed, you need to take it in the AM. Also causes some weight gain as a side effect and it’s used as an alternative medication for people in chemotherapy.

Lote fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 16, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I just got fuckin hosed on my cow case. Judge (bench trial) not only found against us on both our causes of action, but also, sua sponte, awarded the Defendant attorneys fees.

This despite them not having a live pleading for attorneys fees, and despite me objecting to the introduction of evidence on their attorneys fees, and despite me objecting again, in a letter to the Court after the fact in response to the Court's request for attorneys fees affidavits, that they don't have a live claim for attorneys fees.

I'm livid.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

I just got fuckin hosed on my cow case. Judge (bench trial) not only found against us on both our causes of action, but also, sua sponte, awarded the Defendant attorneys fees.

This despite them not having a live pleading for attorneys fees, and despite me objecting to the introduction of evidence on their attorneys fees, and despite me objecting again, in a letter to the Court after the fact in response to the Court's request for attorneys fees affidavits, that they don't have a live claim for attorneys fees.

I'm livid.

Sounds like a case with a lot of appeal.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sounds like a case with a lot of appeal.

Here's an excerpt from the motion for new trial that I anger-drafted a minute ago:

quote:

- Defendant offered no testimony regarding the specific cattle in question. Both Defendant and Expert testified that they did not recall these specific cows, or anything about how they were represented.

- Defendant offered only a list of cattle that they allege were the same that Plaintiff purchased. ...Defendant testified that said cows would have all be marked with “7”s and “0”s. The cows identified on that list were numbered with “5”s, “6”’s, “7”s, and none with “0”s. By Defendant’s own testimony, the cows on that list could not have been the cows sold to Plaintiff.

- Plaintiff testified that the cattle were misrepresented. He testified that he saw the cattle every day for 6 weeks with the misrepresentation painted on their hips (bunch of other cow stuff)

The only evidence concerning how the cattle were represented was that evidence given by Plaintiff. The only evidence offered by the Defendant was that even their own records of the event are inaccurate. The Court’s ruling is clearly against the great weight of the evidence, and Plaintiff is entitled to a new trial on the matter.

But the attorneys fees are worse. You can tell a client, "Well, I guess they just didn't believe you, or were looking for any justification not to award anyone any money." Its another thing entirely to have to explain that the Judge just went around the law, for no reason, and now you have to go appeal a judgment against you that legally shouldn't exist.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
COW LAW

Did you get hometowned or something?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Here's an excerpt from the motion for new trial that I anger-drafted a minute ago:

But the attorneys fees are worse. You can tell a client, "Well, I guess they just didn't believe you, or were looking for any justification not to award anyone any money." Its another thing entirely to have to explain that the Judge just went around the law, for no reason, and now you have to go appeal a judgment against you that legally shouldn't exist.

Sane OC would recognize their position in this and strike a deal to avoid getting boned on appeal then. It's one thing to win but winning with a poo poo judgment is just extra risk and cost.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sounds like a hometowning

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
"Now I'm just a simple country lawyah"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Unless the judge personally buys cattle from this auction house, there's no reason to believe the Plaintiff isn't in higher social standing in this town than the Defendant! We didn't even get hometowned. We got hosed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Abugadu posted:

gently caress.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/15/us/rachelle-bergeron-shot-and-killed-trnd/index.html

Condolences, man.