Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
nothing makes me more mad than seeing depictions of attractive people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ocean Book posted:

it is annoying how sexy anime is, good point
stupid sexy Charmanders

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

what does watching pokemon, an anime, have anything to do with playing video games

pokemon the anime is basically a glorified advertisement for the video games

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

for a long, long time after release, the only halfway decent part of destiny 2 was the red war story campaign

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Destiny is just Super Serious Borderlands.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

that is kind of underselling the first one and overselling the second IMO

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i just genuinely cannot fathom why or how they hosed up PvP so badly between destiny 1 and 2. it is incredible, they took a pretty okay/standard PvP system from the first one and then gutted the poo poo out of it and shrunk everything and it is a huge loving running-jump step back.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can't stand FPS weapons which don't kill instantly. Everything should be instagib rifles, a shotgun that kills at close range, or a lethal melee attack

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

But if I dont have to combo every ability I have(repeatedly) to kill the enemies the combat has no depth?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

I can't stand FPS weapons which don't kill instantly. Everything should be instagib rifles, a shotgun that kills at close range, or a lethal melee attack

I understand and respect this philosophy and lord knows it's what has ultimately motivated Counter-Strike and Call of Duty, but you're still wrong and FPS games like that are no fun unless you're a strung out teenager with the eyes and reflexes of someone two days deep into an Adderall binge.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

You also kill 90% of all enemies in one shot in doom. Not every shooter where weapons kill fast is a twitch fest.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

I loved JRPG's until they became explicitly anime, rather than just cute

Basically I started disliking them when they became Sexy
When Kotaro Uchikoshi said in an interview he was really bummed they couldn't put full VA in 999 (and those ridiculous dialogues are perfect because they're not spoken aloud - it's like reading a pulp novel you love but would never want to see adapted for film, because it would be unwatchable) I realized classic JRPGs are this great only because technical limitations didn't allow their designers to completely gently caress them up

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

You also kill 90% of all enemies in one shot in doom

uhm.....

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah that doesn't seem true of uh...any of the video games in the doom franchise, really

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I remember playing Doom when I was like six years old and I just turned on invincibility and super damage or whatever. Everything died in one hit!!!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember playing Doom when I was like six years old and I just turned on invincibility and super damage or whatever. Everything died in one hit!!!

It's called a BFG and idkfa and iddqd

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

When Kotaro Uchikoshi said in an interview he was really bummed they couldn't put full VA in 999 (and those ridiculous dialogues are perfect because they're not spoken aloud - it's like reading a pulp novel you love but would never want to see adapted for film, because it would be unwatchable) I realized classic JRPGs are this great only because technical limitations didn't allow their designers to completely gently caress them up

Yeah exactly, I love stupid dialogues by Ted Woolsey or butchered English by some Japanese translator, I love cutscenes where the only action is a sprite facing away from the party and taking a single step to signal "pensiveness", it's childish and corny and fun. I stopped paying attention when the faces became more discernable than a patch of skin with two dots for eyes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my bro once put it, old games are like silent theater. but new games are modern movies in living color except everything is uncanny valley like the polar express

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

You also kill 90% of all enemies in one shot in doom. Not every shooter where weapons kill fast is a twitch fest.
/looks at the several hours put into SIGIL and Plutonia in the last week

You don't know what you're talking about.

The White Dragon posted:

my bro once put it, old games are like silent theater. but new games are modern movies in living color except everything is uncanny valley like the polar express

Tangent to this-- there's nothing wrong with wanting a cinematic game and such experiences can be very good, especially if you're a casual player, but if you try to hold a cinematic game up in comparison to other great works in other mediums like movies, books, TV, or music, you deserve to get laughed down. Bioshock, The Last of Us, Earthbound, Ultima IV-VII, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VI or VII, Portal 2, Silent Hill 2, literally none of these approach the accessible complexity of even a lesser piece of great literature or music.

I've played plenty of games with great cinematic moments, even very emotional moments, but the things that make games a distinct art form are emergent through gameplay/mechanics and thus cannot be directly compared to traditional forms of art. Games absolutely have to be judged by their own metrics as art.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 15, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a bit like that old comic; old games had the designers have to work around massive limitations to do effective storytelling and make more with. New games let the director create their vision in every detail, also the director is David Cage.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There's no modification needed on the system, you just get a compatible flash card, load your legally obtained DS rom backups and you're good to go.

For GB/GBC: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-a-gameboy-emulator-for-ds.343407/

I think he was asking about the OG DS, not the 3/2DS

it is very easy to do on 3/2DS also fwiw, just do whatever 3ds.guide says

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mind the walrus posted:

Tangent to this-- there's nothing wrong with wanting a cinematic game and such experiences can be very good, especially if you're a casual player, but if you try to hold a cinematic game up in comparison to other great works in other mediums like movies, books, TV, or music, you deserve to get laughed down. Bioshock, The Last of Us, Earthbound, Ultima IV-VII, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VI or VII, Portal 2, Silent Hill 2, literally none of these approach the accessible complexity of even a lesser piece of great literature or music.

I've played plenty of games with great cinematic moments, even very emotional moments, but the things that make games a distinct art form are emergent through gameplay/mechanics and thus cannot be directly compared to traditional forms of art. Games absolutely have to be judged by their own metrics as art.

100%. The thing that makes games most interesting is that they are interactive. The story is told through your actions, at your pace (to a certain extent). You cannot even begin to try to compare to movies, because in movies you have no choices and the storytelling pace is set for you ahead of time by a director, who wants you to look in certain places and experience certain things at specific times.

A game is a separate thing, as much as gamers don't like that. Pacing, intent, control, these are all things that can define or differentiate a medium.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 16, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
These are all very good salient points about critical analysis and how it applies to games but have you considered choose your own adventure books are art

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think anyone has ever disagreed, he said.

If you agree, go to post 1,112
If you disagree, go to post 86

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Shibawanko posted:

Huh. I just looked up Mario 3 on PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWD6Y9FUuw

What's so weird to me is not even the scrolling but just how they are unable to make the sprites have any "weight" to them, like Mario jumps in this weird floaty way and when he touches a block there's no real feedback or anything. Was it really impossible for some reason to have him jump just like in the NES games? It seems so strange because the PC did usually have superior hardware to an NES (right?), so why couldn't they get simple stuff like that to look right? Was it something about the languages used to program for DOS or something?

Very specifically, in this video it looks like mario goes up and down at the same speed, while the console mario moves towards the ground a lot faster than he does jumping up. That's how you prevent 'floaty' controls in platformers.

here's every frame in a mario 1 jump

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ocean Book posted:

Very specifically, in this video it looks like mario goes up and down at the same speed, while the console mario moves towards the ground a lot faster than he does jumping up. That's how you prevent 'floaty' controls in platformers.

oooh do Luigi from SMB2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

These are all very good salient points about critical analysis and how it applies to games but have you considered choose your own adventure books are art

anything deliberately created by human effort is art

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I love my son, but I think calling him art would be weird.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

a venn diagram of art, craftsmanship, and garbage

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ocean Book posted:

Hey that's cool, I guess it makes sense to make the downward portion go faster, I guess the effect is that you spend more of your air time at the apex of your jump (in terms of percentage of time), it's also more satisfying to go down faster when you land on a goomba or something

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Rutibex posted:

what kind of speciest garbage thinking is this? Stop being so bigoted and admit that non-human animals can also create art, you troglodyte, you complete buffoon

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Fartbox posted:

what kind of speciest garbage thinking is this? Stop being so bigoted and admit that non-human animals can also create art, you troglodyte, you complete buffoon

you're thinking of "fart"

Surprised you didn't know that given your username :colbert:

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Snow Cone Capone posted:

oooh do Luigi from SMB2

i'd love to see it too but that's just an image i took from a programming tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KiK0Aqtmzc

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

well he wasn't made to be enjoyed

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FoolyCharged posted:

See for me it wouldn't be weird at all

He's called Arthur, not even lying :v:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You named him after Arthur Dent, didn't you.

In other news, Running With Scissors has put Postal 4 up on Steam in early access. The third one was utter garbage but then again mostly made by Russians so I hope this one is back to form. Either way, I realised that I actually had the DLC they released for 2 in 2015 as a mea culpa for 3 and started playing it.
Now I might be turning 40 in a couple of months but I still like it. It's dumb as gently caress and I should be offended by multiple things, but instead I just find playing it extremely cathartic.
Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I found a portal to hell where your old camper used to be. Pretty sure this is the first game to include our old friend.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Lodin posted:

The third one was utter garbage

so were the other two

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Lodin posted:

The third one was utter garbage

Tim Burns Effect posted:

so were the other two

But enough about the Witcher.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

my dumb rear end is absolutely going to buy that stupid ring fit adventure thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

my dumb rear end is absolutely going to buy that stupid ring fit adventure thing

You and a hojillion other people so really, people like me who wont buy it are the real idiots