Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There are a lot of things that specifically say “not a medical device” to avoid having to do the testing and compliance

There’s some good out of band you can build for console and remote PDU

Ideally your equipment doesn’t need a lot of cold booting

APC was great btw way better than Versiv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nazattack posted:

For the people who have had ubnt stuff die, did you have Elite for them?

Having elite is no longer an option, program is EoL. Good luck if you ever pushed for ubiquiti UniFi products in any environment that requires business-grade support

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Medical-grade powerstrip? you mean a residential-grade power strip that's had duct tape stretched across the switch so that it doesn't switch off, daisy chained to two other power strips, running a KVM and up to eight laptops and eight ultra-slim desktops?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tomorrow morning we get to talk about why having two internal dns servers that don't sync doesn't make any sense

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Having elite is no longer an option, program is EoL. Good luck if you ever pushed for ubiquiti UniFi products in any environment that requires business-grade support

Gonna say, having BEEN UBNT tech support back in 2011.... don't expect much from them. There were exactly four of us doing support back then, with a ticket backlog of over a thousand tickets. Also next to no organized documentation, so our "business-grade" support was basically our best guesses or playing around with test setups. There we so many actual FEATURES that were entirely undocumented that none of us even knew about until a customer would say "I found this, how does it work" and we had to scramble to figure out what the hell it was good for....

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Tomorrow morning we get to talk about why having two internal dns servers that don't sync doesn't make any sense

Good post to match your av.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
App vendor requires an update to a job scheduling application by December.

Installed crashes midway through the install. Google the error, looks like the version of install shield they used to build the package is old and needs a patch to work with Windows security updates past a certain point on our OS release (2008 lol).

I ask the vendor for help, they call it an environment issue and say they can’t help troubleshoot. They then say it has been tested many times with this server version they haven’t seen this issue.

Binch I don’t need to troubleshoot I need you to update your poo poo. I guess I have another upgrade to get in before the end of the year.

Double pissing me off: Our previous CDW rep big time hosed up an order 2 years ago and apparently didn't actually sell us software assurance with our SQL enterprise licensing. Like there's a note on the invoice from him describing what is being sold, but the item does not include it. We've been under the assumption we've had it as we're working on an AG project. There are some interesting emails going on right now.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 15, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yesterday at 5 PM:

Boss: "Hey, can you take a few screenshots of Product X and send it to Joe Schmoe?"
Me: "Sure thing."

This morning:

Me: *takes and sends the screenshots*
*about 15 minutes later*
Boss: "Hey, did you send those screenshots over to Joe last night?"
Me: "Oh, no, I just took them and sent them a few minutes ago."
Boss: "Oh... He really needed those last night for a meeting this morning."

:rolleyes:

I really don't ask for much but if you need something done immediately then maybe loving tell me that??

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Docker is down....Hope my boss doesn't hear about it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lots of e-mailing other people to get work done and not a lot of getting work done myself today.

I had to decide between making a semi-complicated and hacky change to my network or requesting an acl change from one of the other teams. I picked "request acl change" and have been regretting it all morning.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

We can't clean it up because:

1. Updating only 1 server instead of 2 will mess up the desktop support guys workflow1
2. We're going to be putting a new office a the end of the year so we can do it then
3. We're going to set the new office up like the current office (all foobared) and then we'll fix them all at the same time

ALL OF THE ABOVE

Also I was asked for ideas on how long it would take to restore a 4TB file server we have

My answer? Let's try a restore to an un-used server and then see how long it takes.

We can't do that because:
We have to do it off-site so there's no chance we gently caress it up
We don't even have another machine setup to do Yosemite backup restores
blah blah 50 other dumb reasons

Also:

Why should we use Borg backup server instead of your Python script?

BECAUSE FIVE HUNDRED REASONS MY SCRIPT IS NOT A FULLY TESTED BACKUP SWUIT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oh also I put too much detail in a ticket

Can't be giving any of the other guys too much info they might try stuff

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You need to get out of manufacturing IT

Go work for a law office or something, things will be less messed up.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bob Morales posted:

LOL who would ever complain about having too much info in a ticket? I'm so used to seeing tickets that looks like "deployment failed" with no other info. I would love to start working on a ticket that doesn't immediately start with me playing 20 questions.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

deedee megadoodoo posted:

LOL who would ever complain about having too much info in a ticket? I'm so used to seeing tickets that looks like "deployment failed" with no other info. I would love to start working on a ticket that doesn't immediately start with me playing 20 questions.
I'm not sure which I'd like more, this or subjects that were actually useful.

I'd say about 80% of my tickets on the VoIP side initially come in with a subject of "phones". Could mean a name change, a password reset, or an entire system outage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Testing some software today, the page that anybody in the world can see (before login) has a link to download a Java client. The URL string for some weird reason links to an API hosted by the software vendor, and within the string is the entire license key for the installed product. If you take this key and install the software using it, it will disable the currently deployed instance.

:munch:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

You need to get out of manufacturing IT

Go work for a law office or something, things will be less messed up.

Applied for a Linux admin job for an actual software company the other day

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Last time I worked at a dev house I was forced to reboot build servers on the whim of their rock star programmer because he didn't understand how solaris allocated memory. So when he ran 'top' and didn't see enough free memory he'd ring me up and demand a reboot.

He was wayyyyy more important to the company than me so trying to do anything about it got me nowhere.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Bob Morales posted:

Today I found out that the desktop guys have been sending tickets to someone who left the company - 4 years ago.

Also, that there was a second repository for k2 deployments that were never documented. :bang:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Today I got a meeting invite for thirty minutes from receipt with the subject “support” and a conference bridge.

Nope.

If you can’t be bothered to provide even the most basic agenda and purpose, then I certainly cannot be bothered to attend.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

QL is hiring Linux engineers like crazy if you can stand getting closer to Detroit .

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've just wiped out our test instance and caused it to disable itself for a license violation by testing my theory, let's see how the vendor handles this.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wolrah posted:

I'm not sure which I'd like more, this or subjects that were actually useful.

I'd say about 80% of my tickets on the VoIP side initially come in with a subject of "phones". Could mean a name change, a password reset, or an entire system outage.

I fixed this

Names come from LDAP = not my problem

I have a script that runs and tells me if names have changed and pushes changes via AXL and CUPI

Passwords are LDAP, PINs are self care portal. Generics the help center addressed

System outage is ... my systems don’t go down. 3:1 resilience in VMs and auto rerouting via dial peers on my gateways for critical numbers

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

I've just wiped out our test instance and caused it to disable itself for a license violation by testing my theory, let's see how the vendor handles this.

Customer found hacking company servers. All licenses revoked and matter sent to FBI

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Partycat posted:

System outage is ... my systems don’t go down. 3:1 resilience in VMs and auto rerouting via dial peers on my gateways for critical numbers

Living and dying as T1 Paris freeze and thaw is a way of life, mannnnn.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Thanks Ants posted:

Better start thinking of a cool "Hacker" name for yourself for the news articles.

xX_Ne0n_AnT$_Xx for instance.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Moey posted:

Living and dying as T1 Paris freeze and thaw is a way of life, mannnnn.

Well you can only do so much

Got direct trunk overflow setup to fail between trunk groups when/if that shite happens. Of course the telcos want to discontinue all copper services so I guess it’s all up to ~cloud~ now...

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Partycat posted:

... self care portal

HA. And also - HA.

The amount of calls I deal with daily that can be fixed at the self-service portal is staggering.

And I can't just refer them to the portal. If the call comes in, I have to work it.

I have stopped doing account unlocks and password resets, and now I just walk the user through going to the portal and fixing it themselves.

Haven't been called out by management on it - yet. We'll see.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That’s how we run it here - provide the instructions , guidance if needed. Sometimes they can’t get to it and we do it locally for them.

Not perfect but it I try to build a better mousetrap when I can

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boss is blaming server slowdowns on every person/thing he can imagine.

Theories get disproved one after another.

Culprit: he tweaked some backup script last week, it's running twice PLUS it's been running for the past 3 days :lol:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We're getting rid of our Active Directory server. Because it's so evil. Goodbye centrally managed accounts for the handful of users that are on the domain.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Bob - I do hope you run away from this, it sounds obnoxious.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

We're getting rid of our Active Directory server. Because it's so evil. Goodbye centrally managed accounts for the handful of users that are on the domain.

This is the sign of somebody who has completely lost touch with reality. There is no saving this company, they will die by lack of adequate technology.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Boss is blaming server slowdowns on every person/thing he can imagine.

Theories get disproved one after another.

Culprit: he tweaked some backup script last week, it's running twice PLUS it's been running for the past 3 days :lol:

This isn't a manager. This is a person playing around with systems he doesn't understand who simply outranks everyone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Today I got a meeting invite for thirty minutes from receipt with the subject “support” and a conference bridge.

Nope.

If you can’t be bothered to provide even the most basic agenda and purpose, then I certainly cannot be bothered to attend.

I can't hit "decline" fast enough on those. So satisfying.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Noooooo my coworkers are ranting about politics!!!!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Oh boy, it's that time of year again. Time to spend hours on security training for our organization plus multiple customers (government). I can't wait to run through the same non-skip modules multiple times because half of them use the same provider/courses. Secure passwords, social engineering, FTI, HIPAA, etc. They really should have some way to link all of your KnowB4 logins so you can do a course once and it counts toward all of the various organizations.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 16, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GI_Clutch posted:

Oh boy, it's that time of year again. Time to spend hours on security training for our organization plus multiple customers (government). I can't wait to run through the same non-skip modules multiple times because half of them use the same provider/courses. Secure passwords, social engineering, FTI, HIPAA, etc. They really should have some way to link all of your KnowB4 logins so you can do a course once and it counts toward all of the various organizations.

But then knowbe4 wouldn't rake in the cash for 10 different companies each paying for the same courses for people.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Partycat posted:

That would be annoying in residential construction trying to fish a garden hose through wall spaces if you didn’t have clear access to the header or footer.

I have used subunit cable for commercial since it does save time, but at this point we don’t bother. Generally don’t need so many connections in one place anyways , and we’ve moved on to $$ cat6a installs. That particular product linked has a lovely fire rating (CM) which wouldn’t fly there without conduit stub outs or stack riser telecom rooms, and I would not install in my house - CMP or bust there.

I fuckin knew someone in here was going to call me on this in some way or another :argh:

But actually no this is good poo poo to bring up and I wasn't aware of the fire rating issue. I also completely agree with the fishing issue and the only reason it worked well for me was because I have a crawlspace and could easily fish up from there (and my house, being lovely California construction, is basically little more than a wooden tent so coming up through the subfloor is easy). Sirotan, if your area of Michigan uses actual real construction with brick firestops and the like you may not want to use this cable and I'd certainly recommend finding a version that's better rated - the one I linked was the first Google result and wasn't actually what I used.

That said, for a similar reason I guess I'm also not that concerned about fire using the cable as a conduit because the rest of the house is so flammable that it's not that much of an additional risk. If I had a real house with sprinklers and better construction I might feel differently, but, well, I don't.

As far as not needing so many connections in one space, what I'm hearing is "I failed as an IT guy". What self-respecting IT person doesn't have 4 or 5 network devices in every room. Or worse, uses wireless. Pshaw I say to you sir. What utter bollocks.

Nazattack posted:

For the people who have had ubnt stuff die, did you have Elite for them?

Don't think it existed when we were installing the stuff, this was 5+ years ago.

SlowBloke posted:

Annnnnd.....guess it doesn't matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So Elite lasted a matter of months then, or am I thinking of something else