Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Should have recorded him and replayed it when his girlfriend showed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah i’m pretty sure i shouldn’t have done that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the weirdest part is they’re all french

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Less weird than if they had been British, I would say.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I for one am shocked that a Frenchman is inappropriately sexual and unfaithful

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah me too, i assume it’s just the french rugby fans?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I already imagined the original quote in an English accent and I’m not changing it now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

In Tokyo from the 15th through the 22nd, nominally to watch some rugby (I am not a skeevy Frenchmen as mentioned above, promise). Have a few free days / nights, down to meet up with some goons and drink.

Any event calendars for other things going on this week? Music, nerdy poo poo, etc?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Japanese rugby loving owns

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

Japanese rugby loving owns

qed

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
TeamLab planets is real good

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I've already consoled myself over having had to leave a day early because of Hagibis with the knowledge that we would've been mega hosed if we stayed and that I'll definitely go back to Japan soon, but there's so much I want to do! I didn't get to go to Odaiba, Roppongi, Tsukiji, or even Shinjuku at all on this trip, and I want to go to Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara next time, at least.

Sad to see so many people still without power and the body count keeps rising. :(

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 15, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I didn't get to go to Odaiba, Roppongi, Tsukiji, or even Shinjuku at all on this trip

In fairness that’s tourist trap, avoidable, missable, and Shinjuku, so you’re not missing a ton. And given the schedules involved you made the best moving getting out early - staying would’ve meant delayed flights and long time spent at the airport.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Shinjuku has a bunch of cool stuff tho.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

harperdc posted:

In fairness that’s tourist trap, avoidable, missable, and Shinjuku, so you’re not missing a ton. And given the schedules involved you made the best moving getting out early - staying would’ve meant delayed flights and long time spent at the airport.

Oh, Odaiba is super tourist trap which is why we left it for last, but then you hear people saying how much they loved TeamLab, and, well FOMO sets in.

The others I'm not as upset about, though, yeah Shinjuku woulda been cool. Had a lot of places pinned there.

Plus, lots of places in the towns I did get out to that I couldn't see because time (and stomach capacity) is a finite resource. I could've spent at least another full day in Shibuya, for example. And while it's stupid as hell, my buddy and I really wanted to spend more time in Akihabara. Though we mercifully cut that area short for my poor wife's sake.

Overall, I feel like I hit a lot of the big "to-dos" so I'm super happy with the trip, but also feel like I just scratched the surface of Tokyo and that's to say nothing of the other cool cities I mentioned.

Rokurinsha tsukemen at Tokyo Station might be the best meal I've ever had. Rokurinsha ramen at Haneda airport...was very good airport food.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Rokurinsha tsukemen at Tokyo Station might be the best meal I've ever had. Rokurinsha ramen at Haneda airport...was very good airport food.

Their tsukemen at Haneda was Ok at best as well, though I haven't been to the Tokyo Station one.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stumbling Block posted:

Their tsukemen at Haneda was Ok at best as well, though I haven't been to the Tokyo Station one.

Do it. Best $8 I’ve ever spent. That broth...🤤

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Post the weebiest pics from your trip. Lemme see your doujinshi haul.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Fuunji > Rokurinsha

But nothing beats the tsukemen place near where I lived when I was studying abroad.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Going to Tokyo in a few days and I was planning on taking a day trip out to Nagano but it's sounding like in terms of flooding it was one of the areas affected hard by the typhoon. I'll get more info once I get there but if I have to put the kibosh on that plan are there any other cities 1-2 hours away from Tokyo worth checking out? I'll have the last part of my trip in Osaka so I'll get enough of that area anyways and not really willing to travel much farther distance for this particular trip.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I tried to make my wife explain to me what Japanese people see in Odaiba because as a Dutch person an orderly artificial island with a bunch of conference centers and malls on it is just about the least exotic or exciting place I can think of.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dork457 posted:

Going to Tokyo in a few days and I was planning on taking a day trip out to Nagano but it's sounding like in terms of flooding it was one of the areas affected hard by the typhoon. I'll get more info once I get there but if I have to put the kibosh on that plan are there any other cities 1-2 hours away from Tokyo worth checking out? I'll have the last part of my trip in Osaka so I'll get enough of that area anyways and not really willing to travel much farther distance for this particular trip.

7 shinkansen on the Nagano line got submerged in floods, everyone who needs to go Tokyo-Nagano has to go through Kyoto for a while.
Plz enjoy Yokohama, Kamakura Nikko...

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Going to Kyushu in late May/early June and looking at availability for places in Kurokawa Onsen, it looks like it's almost all booked up for the entire month. I'm not too familiar this area so is it common for this to happen? There's like one place left so I booked it but I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get to really pick where I want to stay.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's not booked up, it's just not available yet. Japanese hotels usually only open their calendars 3 months in advance.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bloodnose posted:

Post the weebiest pics from your trip. Lemme see your doujinshi haul.

I was a terrible weeb this trip. I took pictures of any Goku poo poo I saw but never really bought anything outside of a little Gogeta gashapon figure and a Hachiko + Deku from My Hero Academia bookmark at the airport on the way home, out of desperation. Part of it is I already have a ton of Dragon Ball stuff at home. Part of that is that despite going to Mandarake, I planned to do my weeb shopping at Nakano Broadway...on Friday...which got cancelled. ;_;

Sunshine City ended up being pretty disappointing. It only had the Pokemon Center because J-World or whatever the Shonen Jump store was isn't there anymore.

Like I said, we cut Akihabara short since we were all tired as gently caress and you can only see the same six UFO catchers and Gundam arcade cabinets so many times, though Mandarake was awesome. Both of them. We all had a good laugh when we walked into the Ikebukuro BL Mandarake expecting it to be like the main one. My wife knows what BL is, but had no idea that's what they were exclusively selling there until after we left.

I was real tempted to buy my dog a Goku costume from the Mega Donki. I settled on buying him a squeaky Dragon Ball chew toy.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Goondolences. More reasons to go back soon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bloodnose posted:

Goondolences. More reasons to go back soon.

Wife wants to wait until 2021, but she's totally down. I'm thinking we can definitely go back in November next year. The tourists for the Olympics should have cleared out by then, surely?

ntan1 posted:

Fuunji > Rokurinsha

But nothing beats the tsukemen place near where I lived when I was studying abroad.

We had Fuunji on the list, but I forget why we skipped it. How's Fuunji's broth? I've never had anything like Rokurinsha's broth. So drat good. Not thin whatsoever.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Shibawanko posted:

I tried to make my wife explain to me what Japanese people see in Odaiba because as a Dutch person an orderly artificial island with a bunch of conference centers and malls on it is just about the least exotic or exciting place I can think of.

There's a gundam there what more do you want???

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Not a Japanese person, but I like it for being a mostly open area with great views looking back at the city. I think it stands in pretty stark contrast to most other popular parts of the city just for that reason.

I don’t really get the tourist trap argument. There’s very little there that is (or, at least, was) actively aimed at tourists. I guess the team lab thing changes that somewhat but that only even opened last year.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

How do you feel about Singapore?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

DiscoJ posted:

Not a Japanese person, but I like it for being a mostly open area with great views looking back at the city. I think it stands in pretty stark contrast to most other popular parts of the city just for that reason.

I don’t really get the tourist trap argument. There’s very little there that is (or, at least, was) actively aimed at tourists. I guess the team lab thing changes that somewhat but that only even opened last year.

Is team lab really a "tourist trap" though? By all accounts it's pretty neat, which just seems to be more of a "tourist destination" rather than a trap, which implies that it actually sucks.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I kinda just meant in that context that they probably opened/designed it with foreign visitors in mind from the start. Pretty much every other permanent aspect of the area seems to me like it’s there for people respect sent in Tokyo/Japan.

I haven’t been there myself yet, so not judging the quality, but Planets was good at least.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Xad posted:

A full size Labor. :colbert:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Also the Miraikan is pretty neat, and JOYPOLIS is fun if you like weird arcade roller coasters

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Xad posted:

Doctor Zero posted:

A full size Labor. :colbert:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DiscoJ posted:

I love the chaotic street plan of Tokyo for exactly the opposite reason, my favorite place to hang out were the izakaya alleys in Musashikoyama (now torn down to build a lovely tower mansion), Tokyo can feel very intimate and villagelike despite being huge because of all the winding streets and quiet alleys. Odaiba is different but not in a good way, it just feels like stepping into a Dutch suburban town or something, except with fancier malls. When I went there for the first time in my life after seeing it in a travel guide I really wondered if I was at the right place because I didn't know what I was supposed to be seeing there that was noteworthy, except the ferris wheel and maybe Big Site. I still wouldn't go there for my enjoyment, not that I hate it but I just don't get what's fun about a mall.

Stringent posted:

How do you feel about Singapore?

Never been. My wife was so shocked when she realized I didn't know about Merlion, like I had never heard of Abraham Lincoln or something like that.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

7 shinkansen on the Nagano line got submerged in floods, everyone who needs to go Tokyo-Nagano has to go through Kyoto for a while.
Plz enjoy Yokohama, Kamakura Nikko...

Could drive!!

There are sections towards nagano where the highway is closed tho.

peanut posted:

It's not booked up, it's just not available yet. Japanese hotels usually only open their calendars 3 months in advance.

6mo for Kurokawa. Kurokawa Onsen is within my top 3 onsen towns in Japan, and I want to go back again for the third time next year. Almost all of the ryokans in the onsen area itself are all good, but I'm going to push you towards Yamamizuki.

Try to get a C type room, even if it's a bit more expensive.

Shibawanko posted:

I love the chaotic street plan of Tokyo for exactly the opposite reason, my favorite place to hang out were the izakaya alleys in Musashikoyama (now torn down to build a lovely tower mansion), Tokyo can feel very intimate and villagelike despite being huge because of all the winding streets and quiet alleys. Odaiba is different but not in a good way, it just feels like stepping into a Dutch suburban town or something, except with fancier malls. When I went there for the first time in my life after seeing it in a travel guide I really wondered if I was at the right place because I didn't know what I was supposed to be seeing there that was noteworthy, except the ferris wheel and maybe Big Site. I still wouldn't go there for my enjoyment, not that I hate it but I just don't get what's fun about a mall.

Yeah Odaiba just isn't for you. It's like the same feeling I had about Karuizawa in Nagano. Malls like Odaiba are frequent in the US and Europe and feel just like a suburbian center. Sort of like Karuizawa architecture and styling feels like the UK or the US.

For a person in Tokyo who has not really experienced space or is high stressed, Odaiba feels kind of like a slightly more relaxed oasis where you can shop without much pressure. To some it feels more western.

I don't get it either, but that's because I live in the US.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 16, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s also because Odaiba is now flooded with mainland Chinese.

We’re also to the point where TeamLab Borderless is on the checklist for Americans and other western tourists. I went a year ago and then again a couple weeks back and it was noticeably more crowded this year.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have three and a half more days and have just realised that almost all the shopping I’ve done has been for other people, except for a fancy hoodie that it’s been WAY too warm to wear. Got a free day tomorrow so I gotta blow at least a hundred quid on myself on something dumb.

Side note: is that festival in Kawagoe on Saturday likely gonna be worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Question Mark Mound posted:

Side note: is that festival in Kawagoe on Saturday likely gonna be worth checking out?

I've been once and it was nice yeah. I like visiting Kawagoe in general tho.