Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What I don't get is how deeply, desperately important it was to give her some kind of "lifetime achievement" Booker when she already had one.

Yeah, but it's a sequel to a book that made for a successful TV show and I wish this was just my sarcasm but it's probably the real reason oh please kill me immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Can't you just incognito your way around the paywall still?

:tipshat: thank you, friend.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yeah, but it's a sequel to a book that made for a successful TV show and I wish this was just my sarcasm but it's probably the real reason oh please kill me immediately
It's absolutely the real reason, which is why it's so funny. I probably should have put a :thunk: or something in that post.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't think you've followed the thread title's advice much.

yes, i sinned last year and read a supposed classic that everyone was talking about. Everyone talking about it should have been a hint to it's quality, really.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

yes, i sinned last year and read a supposed classic that everyone was talking about. Everyone talking about it should have been a hint to it's quality, really.

Which?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the handmaid's tale

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

the handmaid's tale

Oh. Yeah.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

is it any good?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
not really

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Last good book I read was A Reunion of Ghosts, by Judith Claire Mitchell

I'm sure it came up years ago in this thread as a recommendation to me directly or someone else.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

quote:

In both Atwood relies on a repetitive structure of flowing observation and mysterious, aphoristic halts– “What I coveted was the shears” or “Be thankful for small mercies” – something like the problem-resolution plots of sonnets. We have seen something similar in the works of Guy Gavriel Kay. Atwood’s prose is too self-consciously significant, occupied with symbolism for symbolism’s sake, its language too literary. It is moreover Compu-confusing whenever it is in poetic register. Consider the description of a character’s violent cutting of flowers more closely: “Was it arthritis, creeping up? Or some blitzkrieg, some kamikaze, committed on the swelling genitalia of the flowers? The fruiting body.” The language is near parody. It’s bad poetry, and no-one should be surprised to discover that besides her novels, Atwood has also produced mediocre lyrical works.
Yeah this is exactly why I don't like it, it reads like something a dumb person thinks a great book is supposed to read like. The sci fi stuff is a contrivance that serves no real good purpose in telling the story

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I still don't get why that guy was banned, it seems like all he did was be negative about things, but being negative is fun and I enjoy negative posters. It's not like he was a racist or pedo or anything liket hat

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shibawanko posted:

I still don't get why that guy was banned, it seems like all he did was be negative about things, but being negative is fun and I enjoy negative posters. It's not like he was a racist or pedo or anything liket hat

When your taste in media is your entire personality, you react to criticisms of your favorite media as if they were personal attacks.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

Goons are mostly babies.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There was a guy that he may or may not have harassed in a way that nobody in this (or probably any) thread has the ability or inclination to dig up and verify.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There was a guy that he may or may not have harassed in a way that nobody in this (or probably any) thread has the ability or inclination to dig up and verify.

That guy was full of beans

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The appeal of The Handmaid's Tale is that its descriptions of torture and general human physicality are more evocative than your average sci-fi or popular fiction book. That's the main thing I took away from it and the people I've spoken to who like it say pretty much the same thing. As BotL notes, though, sometimes Atwood puts so much effort into this aspect of the book that she can't help but use the obvious or bathetic.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I liked The Handmaid's Tale reasonably well when I read it in high school, but the sequel sounds like a complete cash-in/fan-bait. MORE WORLDBUILDING, OH BOY

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dead Goon posted:

Last good book I read was A Reunion of Ghosts, by Judith Claire Mitchell

I'm sure it came up years ago in this thread as a recommendation to me directly or someone else.

Glad you liked it. I found the ending fascinating

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I ended up talking that guy in another thread and he ended up being a douchebag and I am glad BotL harassed him

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I liked The Handmaid's Tale reasonably well when I read it in high school, but the sequel sounds like a complete cash-in/fan-bait. MORE WORLDBUILDING, OH BOY

She got basically no money from the tv series so I can understand why she'd do that, but lmao at it winning the booker.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Srice posted:

She got basically no money from the tv series so I can understand why she'd do that, but lmao at it winning the booker.

How the hell does that happen in this day and age? Did she just have a lovely holdover contract with her publisher from when it originally came out?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

How the hell does that happen in this day and age? Did she just have a lovely holdover contract with her publisher from when it originally came out?

Yeah pretty much. She signed away the adaption rights decades ago to MGM and Hulu got it from them so the only money she saw directly from the show was from being a consultant on it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I was in the UK right before The Testaments dropped and it was like a new Harry Potter was coming out, with all the store displays, giant poster ads on the walls of the Underground, and midnight release parties.

One bookstore though put up a display of other dystopics so I got a copy of The Road, so not all was bad.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Srice posted:

Yeah pretty much. She signed away the adaption rights decades ago to MGM and Hulu got it from them so the only money she saw directly from the show was from being a consultant on it.

Well she also got a role in it too

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If I might be random, why is The Scarlet Letter so detested by people my age? I'm 31 and of all the stuff people had to read in school, it gets savaged more than any other in my experience.

I liked it a lot. I like that whole little "movement" of Hawthorne, Poe and Melville. I just bought all of Poe's works on Audible and need to get through that. I've only listened to bits and pieces in my life.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I saw a scifi reader call Atwood a carpetbagger once.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

If I might be random, why is The Scarlet Letter so detested by people my age? I'm 31 and of all the stuff people had to read in school, it gets savaged more than any other in my experience.

I liked it a lot. I like that whole little "movement" of Hawthorne, Poe and Melville. I just bought all of Poe's works on Audible and need to get through that. I've only listened to bits and pieces in my life.

Is it? Never noticed.

I liked it, but high school me was a very long time ago

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:rip: Harold Bloom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4732_story.html

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

stop reading goodreads reviews

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember thinking it was really dry when I read it as a 16YO in school. I have a hypothesis that living the Bush years exposed a lot of people around our age to the hypocrisy of evangelicals/organized religion (remembering this was also then golden age of edgy internet atheism) which dulled the message of the book. Want to give it another look as an adult now.

I’m reading Don Quixote right now and got to the part where Quixote has Sancho look into his mouth to see how hosed up his teeth are and they violently throw up on each other. Now this is what I would have loved to read at 16.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

It's a pretty commonly assigned highschool book. And I can't speak for how it gets taught generally but my experience back in highschool was that in class the primary focus was on the blatant symbolism present in it, and nothing was said about the religious hypocrisy going on in the book. A joyless way to go about it, plus a lot of people resent books they were forced to read in highschool in general (and heck if you don't have a great teacher I can understand why).

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

NikkolasKing posted:

I think it is probably absolutely necessary, in the service of producing strong readers, that certain books will be sacrificed at the altar of children too young to really understand or appreciate them. Because The Scarlet Letter not only provides clear examples of an important literary technique (symbolism) but also provides a wealth of well-organized detail about an important period in American history while focusing on a woman's experience, it is an especially useful teaching text. Like you said, this means most people encounter it in high school when they are not ready for it; it is a deeply human book which resonates more and more as one experiences the kind of painful complexities it carefully illuminates. Not that every high school student doesn't get it, but a lot of them (myself included) just need to Live a Little before it'll really start to hit home. All of the fireworks are in Hawthorne's expositions of subtle mental and emotional states. In the absence of a central sympathy based on lived experience, The Scarlet Letter is incredibly dull; very little happens, what happens, happens very slowly, and on its face the tragedy appears incredibly dumb and totally avoidable.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

IDK how it works in other countries, but in mine you are forced to read stuff in chronological order. So in first year of high school you read Gilgamesh, Homer, Aeneid, Greek tragedy and comedy. In the second year it’s medieval literature, Dante, Petrarch and later Shakespeare. The entire Romaticism and Realism are dumped on year three, preceded by possibly some Voltaire. The fourth year is dedicated mostly to modernism and later. I remember reading Kafka, Sartre, Camus, Joyce. I didn’t get anything at the time because I wasn’t mature or erudite enough to get it. It’s a terrible system.
My daughter is in high school now so I help her with book reports - I just kind of entice her into discovering themes or whatever else would seem appropriate to her teacher who hates literature as much as her students do.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in Norway the whole history of literature bit is reserved for the final two years, but I think we might speed through a bit more with 2nd year spanning from 500-1850s (basically stop right between romanticism and realism) and 3rd is realism up to postmodern and contemporary lit.

there’s a small spot called something like “texts in past and present” but that’s more about how myths and folklore from old times are still alive and kicking through intertextuality and remediation and stuff like that

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the baroque loving sucks because it’s just psalms, at least here in the north

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
We had basically zero compulsory books here. If you were a reader like I was you could basically pick whatever as long as it was a legitimate book, and then you had to analyse it in terms of whatever the course's theme was. Instead we read a ton of short stories and poems and essays and stuff that wasn't too long for the stupid kids

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Ras Het posted:

We had basically zero compulsory books here. If you were a reader like I was you could basically pick whatever as long as it was a legitimate book, and then you had to analyse it in terms of whatever the course's theme was. Instead we read a ton of short stories and poems and essays and stuff that wasn't too long for the stupid kids

What kinds of themes did the courses have? Where do you live?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

the baroque loving sucks because it’s just psalms, at least here in the north

Here in Croatia we have a redeeming baroque work, an epic poem composed by one of the most renowned poets. Here's a quick attempt at translation:

O Muse, prepare to sing
about a huge poo poo.
Worry not about staining
y'rself for the stinky deed
covers everything under the sun.
You're full of poo poo, lovely prince!

lovely are your words,
lovely are your deeds,
your nose is full of poo poo,
poo poo assaults you from all sides,
feeding your lovely mouth.

Your entire body made of poo poo,
what you do described as poo poo,
in your pants a stinky poo poo
hangin' instead of the little bell,
you odorous expression of the tail.

So infamous your vapours,
so fetid your behind,
like a Župa donkey
full of fresh grass farting...

This goes on for another several dozen stanzas. It is awesome and my bad translation can't do it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cda posted:

What kinds of themes did the courses have? Where do you live?

I'm from Finland and I can't remember any real details because I have poor memory and no lingering high school traumas