Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Weltlich posted:

Yeah, give it a few days to settle down. Your pulp from previous batches might have gotten some wild funk in it as well. So it goes.

Some fermentation ingredients just make farts. Never dump it if you can wait it out, but I'd give it a 40% chance :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp I think some bad bug got in there because my intestines decided to have a forced ejection of contents.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Steve Yun posted:

Welp I think some bad bug got in there because my intestines decided to have a forced ejection of contents.

that's just your virus definitions updating

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well it involved a data dump so

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This is a strange time for me to announce that my Clear Gel arrived.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alas, my experiments with green smoothies will have to be put on hold for now. At this point I'm just wasting food.

No matter what combination of greens, fruits, milks and yoghurts I try, I cannot get over the smell and taste of cut grass.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Why don't you just cook your greens or have them in salads like a regular adult?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

Why don't you just cook your greens or have them in salads like a regular adult?

I was cursed by a witch. Why the gently caress do you think?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Only acceptable to avoid veggies if you're allergic to garlic :colbert:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Only acceptable to avoid veggies if you're allergic to garlic :colbert:

Agreed. Fortunately I love garlic.

I would like nothing more than to be able to wolf down a bowl of rando lettuce mix. As it is the bitter ship sailed decades ago and I'm trying everything I can to deal with the aftermath.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Go eat collards for goodness sake

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Rather than starting by blending up a bunch of weird poo poo (cauliflower? Really?) Why don't you start with a smoothie that you enjoy drinking and slowly add more nutritious ingredients? As long as you don't go apeshit with sweeteners eating whole fruits and vegetables is still better than a drive thru meal.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 15, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks for the previous advice folks :)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

pile of brown posted:

Rather than starting by blending up a bunch of weird poo poo (cauliflower? Really?) Why don't you start with a smoothie that you enjoy drinking and slowly add more nutritious ingredients? As long as you don't go apeshit with sweeteners eating whole fruits and vegetables is still better than a drive thru meal.

I agree. Start with carrot - healthy for you and also blends really well with orange, apple and even strawberry. You've probably had carrot juice or puree in commercially available juices and smoothies all sorts of times and never knew it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Speaking of garlic, I made this yesterday. Was delicious. Can’t stop thinking about going home and having some more. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/herby-garlic-confit

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I would like nothing more than to be able to wolf down a bowl of rando lettuce mix. As it is the bitter ship sailed decades ago and I'm trying everything I can to deal with the aftermath.
What's the specific problem/problems you have with veg in general? You mention not liking grassy flavour/odour notes of greens. What else? Because there are other approaches to veg consumption that offer more flexibility than blending poo poo into a smoothie and hope you don't notice. Like how are you with spicy poo poo? Does the texture of greens bother you, or just the grassy part of the flavour?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

pile of brown posted:

This is actually great advice. Start with something that’s pretty good, and add some kaons greenery. Once you think it’s just as good, add a bit more. Keep going, gradually adding until you have tricked your tastebuds into thinking it’s the same as the carrot/apple/beetroot smoothie you started with.

You’ll be drinking bright green leaf juice in no time!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

no see bananas and berries have sugar just like corn syrup does so obviously they're equally bad

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

no see bananas and berries have sugar just like corn syrup does so obviously they're equally bad

my man bananas are berries. avoid berries in smoothies

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

my man bananas are berries. avoid berries in smoothies

I absolutely love bananas though!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got one of those sacks of raw Spanish peanuts. I used, like, a cup of them in some Thai curry, but now I have the rest. Does anybody have a pretty lazy method for processing these for, say, snacking and baking? Should I boil, bake, broil, or throw them out?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got one of those sacks of raw Spanish peanuts. I used, like, a cup of them in some Thai curry, but now I have the rest. Does anybody have a pretty lazy method for processing these for, say, snacking and baking? Should I boil, bake, broil, or throw them out?

If they are honestly raw - like not even blanched - I recommend boiling (salt the water like for pasta, boil for 2 hours and check; might be faster in an instant pot) and making peanut hummus. If they have been blanched, salt / oil / bake.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ulmont posted:

If they are honestly raw - like not even blanched - I recommend boiling (salt the water like for pasta, boil for 2 hours and check; might be faster in an instant pot) and making peanut hummus. If they have been blanched, salt / oil / bake.
Why would you do anything with boiled peanuts besides eat them out of the shell immediately? That being said, raw peanuts are not the best for boiling and I don’t think Spanish peanuts are the ones that usually get boiled either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jaded Burnout posted:

If you love garlic, check out your local Asian grocery store (RIP if you don't have one) for garlic scapes. They're long, thin, green dudes. Cut those up into a couple inch long sections and stir fry for a few minutes with some thin sliced ginger and dried chilies, a bit of soy sauce and rice vinegar. One of my favorite veggies and an easy sell if you're a garlic person.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ulmont posted:

Ahh they are out of the shell. They still have their skin on though and are... surprisingly soft?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

captkirk posted:

How is it that frozen dinners can have 50% of the RDI for sodium and still have basically no taste?

So. If I’m about to freeze something, I’ll ease up on the salt and any ground spices/herbs, because It’s gonna majorly loss its punch. The freezer will bland out drat near anything you throw in there. It’s likely why the frozen food has quite so much salt: they know the freezer is about to dull the taste, and they are compensating massively so that the majority of the population will eat it and be ok. Bear in mind that the vast majority of the population who buys that crap can’t taste anything anyway, and are happy to shovel something down as long as it’s “quick and easy” (god how I hate that term).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just discovered the joy of microwaved jacket potatoes. Can have a fully cooked spud in 8 minutes, and then I just crisp them up in the oven for 10 mins at 200c. Do you think I'd be able to skip the oven preheating step and just grill the potatoes directly after they cook in the microwave? I love jacket potatoes but I hated the awfully long cooking times, this fixes it. But it feels needlessly wasteful to preheat an oven to 200c just for 10 mins of crisping up. Would rather do it under a grill but not sure if it'd be good.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 16, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why would you do anything with boiled peanuts besides eat them out of the shell immediately?

They make a great hummus if they are already shelled before you boil them. Otherwise that's way too much effort.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh they are out of the shell. They still have their skin on though and are... surprisingly soft?

Probably legit raw then. I'd definitely boil or bake; whether you convert into hummus or peanut butter or just eat voraciously after that is up to you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Qubee posted:

Just discovered the joy of microwaved jacket potatoes. Can have a fully cooked spud in 8 minutes, and then I just crisp them up in the oven for 10 mins at 200c. Do you think I'd be able to skip the oven preheating step and just grill the potatoes directly after they cook in the microwave? I love jacket potatoes but I hated the awfully long cooking times, this fixes it. But it feels needlessly wasteful to preheat an oven to 200c just for 10 mins of crisping up. Would rather do it under a grill but not sure if it'd be good.

Toaster oven

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They're not really that common in the UK.

I reckon a grill would work Qubee, try it and see how you like it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Helith posted:

They're not really that common in the UK.

I reckon a grill would work Qubee, try it and see how you like it.

Oh, whoops. Grill would probably do it then.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

What makes it a jacket potato? This just sounds like a baked potato to me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lawnie posted:

What makes it a jacket potato?
Common usage in the UK.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Because the potato is baked in it’s ‘jacket’
You can call it a baked potato, a baked jacket potato or just a jacket potato. All the same thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How much is 1lb of 80/20 ground beef where you guys are? $3? $4?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Did the conversion to your dumb units and it's between $2.50 and $6 here in NL depending if you get cheap aldi stuff or fancier organic free range etc.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

$5-$6 per pound in Las Vegas for cheapo factory meat. $7-$9 for anything quality. We hardly eat beef except at the steakhouse tho.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A kilo of minced beef at my supermarket is AUD$9.50

A kilo is 2.2lb
AUD$9.50 = USD$6.65

So a lb would be approx $3

That's just ordinary mince beef though, organic beef mince is AUD$21.00 a kilo. or USD$14.70, so about $7 a lb.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Steve Yun posted:

400g of beef is 3-4 euros here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Helith posted:

Because the potato is baked in it’s ‘jacket’
You can call it a baked potato, a baked jacket potato or just a jacket potato. All the same thing.

So it's just a potato? In that case my advice to Qubee would be to just try it the way you're thinking of and see if it tastes good. What's the worst that could happen, you're out $0.50?