Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just found out that the timer can be set to shut off all audio after a certain amount of time and that kinda rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Skeezy posted:

I just found out that the timer can be set to shut off all audio after a certain amount of time and that kinda rules.

Haha, yea, they hid that pretty well. It's been around for quite a while. Great for sleepy time music/podcasts/white noise!

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
I just upgraded to an iPhone 11 from a 6 plus, and by and large, it's a huge step up, but what is the deal with the terrible bluetooth performance on the 11? It takes much longer to connect to devices it's already paired with, and some devices that I had no problem using regularly with the 6 won't connect at all, which I guess is a known issue to those device manufacturers. Is this an iOS 13 thing that's expected to be fixed or am I SOL on some of this stuff?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Skeezy posted:

2019 iOS is insanely well thought out and full of handy features. 2019 iOS is nowhere even near as user friendly as iOS used to be.

iOS 13 is great, just really bad at leading the user to pretty much anything. I usually understand new technology quickly but there’s so much stuff in iOS 13 that goes completely over my head without some connected logic to the rest of the system leading me to my answer. I don’t even find it badly designed or anything, but there’s something around every corner I feel like I don’t get. Maybe I’m just dumb.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Skeezy posted:

Why is this at the bottom of the options list :iiam:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I ran into a random goon on one of those private WoW servers and identified him as such by asking the stairs question, he knew the answer. It was great. I think his name was goon so I just asked out of the blue.

B-Mac posted:

I’m imagining you’re using this to carry your phone around.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1120-Case-Foam-Black/dp/B0051QIBUE

Something only slightly smaller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAGU3VM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qdcPDbZ3RE0R6

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

kgibson posted:

I just upgraded to an iPhone 11 from a 6 plus, and by and large, it's a huge step up, but what is the deal with the terrible bluetooth performance on the 11? It takes much longer to connect to devices it's already paired with, and some devices that I had no problem using regularly with the 6 won't connect at all, which I guess is a known issue to those device manufacturers. Is this an iOS 13 thing that's expected to be fixed or am I SOL on some of this stuff?

Bluetooth performance on mine is pretty crappy too. Sometimes it only seems happy if I'm very close to the speaker, other times it just drops the connection every thirty seconds or so until I switch the speaker off and on again and then it's fine. With this speaker an old iPhone 6 was fine, an SE was alright, and at the moment the 11 is pretty annoying. Progress!

In truth, that is about the only complaint and some bluetooth headphones I've got are fine, so maybe it's the speaker. But I swear it used to be rock solid.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there any reason iCloud and iTunes would overwrite a backup for an iPhone with the backup for another phone? It's per device, so it shouldn't be happening, and yet I'm wondering where my backup has gone. Hopefully it's on iCloud somewhere.

gently caress me, maybe I removed it from the list of trusted devices because the old phone was dead anyway. Motherfucker, why is this poo poo so confusing. Hopefully the photos still got synced.

Pretty sure I also had a local iTunes copy, but maybe it automatically deletes that or something.

e: It's still on Find My, but with a red padlock icon on it.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 14, 2019

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Had my 11 Pro Max for two weeks, and today, I somehow managed to put a 3cm long scratch up the right hand side of the screen.

Annoyingly it’s also happened the day my new case arrived, including glass screen protector. The drat thing has only gone from pocket to desk, so even though it’s not deep and only visible at certain angles, I’m mightily pissed.

My insurance deductible is £100 so there’s no point trying to use that and AppleCare+ is still a one time payment here in the UK it seems so going via that would cost me £225.

Arrggggh. Thanks for listening.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Depending on the screen protector, the adhesive might just fill the scratch and make it look a lot less obvious once you install it.

Does suck that the phones this year are so much easier to scratch, but I guess it's a side effect of making it more shatter resistant, so might be a good trade off long-term?

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Just upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro Max. Trying to import my Messages from iCloud. Only some of my Messages are appearing in the new phone, and most of them are out of chronological order.

Is there anything else I'm supposed to be doing to get this to go correctly?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Depending on the screen protector, the adhesive might just fill the scratch and make it look a lot less obvious once you install it.

Does suck that the phones this year are so much easier to scratch, but I guess it's a side effect of making it more shatter resistant, so might be a good trade off long-term?

One of those "different strokes for different folks" sorts of things; I've never shattered a screen before so I'd personally prefer the scratch-resistance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hackjack posted:

Just upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro Max. Trying to import my Messages from iCloud. Only some of my Messages are appearing in the new phone, and most of them are out of chronological order.

Is there anything else I'm supposed to be doing to get this to go correctly?

I think you just need to give it time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I added a playlist called “test” to iTunes four days ago and it still hasn’t synced to my phone with iCloud music library. I was wondering why my playlists never updated. I have to disable iCloud library and sync from scratch to get them to show up.

Why is Apple so bad at stuff now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pivo posted:

I added a playlist called “test” to iTunes four days ago and it still hasn’t synced to my phone with iCloud music library. I was wondering why my playlists never updated. I have to disable iCloud library and sync from scratch to get them to show up.

To be fair they have always been awful with services.

E: I know this doesn’t help/add anything but it’s not a novel thought.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pivo posted:

I deleted some photos from Photos on Catalina and they were also deleted from the cloud. Then I deleted some more photos from Photos on Catalina and it refused to sync any further changes to the cloud until I toggled iCloud Photo Library on and off and waited about seven hours for my entire library to reupload.

I’ve never been terribly impressed with Apple’s cloud services but it’s been a long time since they sucked this bad for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Syncing photos and itunes has been fine for me the past year. :shrug:

It did have some weird issues shortly after they announced iTunes was being retired which I attributed to background work.. like you couldn't reliably add an entire album to a playlist and sync it across devices, but doing each song individually worked fine. But that's cleared up.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

Major Ryan posted:

Bluetooth performance on mine is pretty crappy too. Sometimes it only seems happy if I'm very close to the speaker, other times it just drops the connection every thirty seconds or so until I switch the speaker off and on again and then it's fine. With this speaker an old iPhone 6 was fine, an SE was alright, and at the moment the 11 is pretty annoying. Progress!

In truth, that is about the only complaint and some bluetooth headphones I've got are fine, so maybe it's the speaker. But I swear it used to be rock solid.

Has there been anything you’ve done or noticed that has helped?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

I think you just need to give it time.
Yeah I had a bunch of messages and even contacts that weren't appearing on my 11 Pro on day 1. I thought something was up but everything seemed to fill out overnight.

I think what throws people off is that a manual iCloud backup happens relatively quickly. That's why I for one was confused when a few hours went by after signing in on the new phone and I still wasn't seeing stuff (especially since I was only signing in rather than doing a restore).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’ve been using iCloud for backing up photos lately but I’ve realised there’s no point in continuing to do so because I also back photos up in Dropbox.

When I try to toggle off the iCloud sync, it tells me that optimized photos will be deleted. What exactly does this mean? Will all photos taken with the phone stay on the phone? In other words: Is it safe to assume that the only photos that will be deleted are photos from other devices or things from the MacBooks Photos program?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Xabi posted:

I’ve been using iCloud for backing up photos lately but I’ve realised there’s no point in continuing to do so because I also back photos up in Dropbox.

When I try to toggle off the iCloud sync, it tells me that optimized photos will be deleted. What exactly does this mean? Will all photos taken with the phone stay on the phone? In other words: Is it safe to assume that the only photos that will be deleted are photos from other devices or things from the MacBooks Photos program?

With iCloud sync all your full quality photos are saved to the cloud. If you change devices and re-download your library it only downloads the "optimized" versions. Also if your phone is running out of storage it could remove the full size and replace with optimized.

As long as you keep the cloud library you can always get the full size if you need it. If you cancel the sync without downloading them you will loose the optimized versions on your phone. Effectively removing them from your phone.

If you already have everything synced with Dropbox you should be fine assuming you have all the originals backed up there. But if you want you can change your photo settings to keep all the originals with the "Download and Keep originals" setting before turning off iCloud.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Zero One fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 15, 2019

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thank you (although I’m still not sure if I fully understand it). Wouldn’t download originals also download everything that’s been added to Photos on the Macbook? I don’t want those things, because those photos are already backed up to an external HD and Dropbox. I guess I never should have messed around with iCloud to begin with...

The way iCloud syncs and backs things up makes no sense to me. Just give me a simple upload like Dropbox.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 15, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
As much as I try to cut out as much Google stuff out of my life, Google Photos has been remarkably solid.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

iOS 13.1.3 is out and it has a bunch of fixes, including Bluetooth weirdness fixes for those that were having trouble.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple needs to swipe Pixel 4's real-time audio transcription feature:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/15/20915452/google-pixel-4-recorder-app-transcription-real-time-free-language-processing

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So iOS 13 seems to have unlearned my email prefs since I have 2 accounts setup. Now I'm sending to craigslist ads with my work email and replying to work people with my personal email. sigh.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Wow, that is incredibly impressive. It's an app, so maybe it'll get ported over to iOS? lol

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Wow, that is incredibly impressive. It's an app, so maybe it'll get ported over to iOS? lol

I can imagine this might actually get ported over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So I bricked my iphone and got a new one but when I tried to restore the backup in iTunes, it didn't copy my photos over to my new phone and they aren't on the iCloud. How do I recover them from the backup file?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I had my battery replaced* last December and it’s already getting flaky. :thumbsup:

*They actually bricked my original phone and gave me a refurb.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm having a really weird bug since upgrading my phone, the music app shows the wrong album art for a smattering of albums. Not just the wrong album, but some of them are actually showing the logo for some of my podcasts, a completely different app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know that that’s the case with sharing Apps so we don’t share apps, just the iCloud storage. I guess I never asked but I’m fairly sure my sister(s) can make their own purchases.

The Apple Arcade is different though. All I did was start a trial and they are able to download Apple Arcade games.

Few pages back but I wanna say it’ll still charge the primary family account holder’s credit card. A lot of people miss this. Definitely there so people just don’t go add all their acquaintances. I could be wrong.

The only workaround I’ve found is if the person has iTunes credit on their account, it’ll charge that before it charges the main credit card.

The other workaround is them being registered as a child on your account and literally under 12 or some such to ask for confirmation (via a pin?) from you to allow purchases, but I don’t have kids so not sure how that works

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Is anybody having problems with Siri on the 13.2 beta? It seems perpetually muted and I can't hear the voice when I say hey siri or while navigating.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Few pages back but I wanna say it’ll still charge the primary family account holder’s credit card. A lot of people miss this. Definitely there so people just don’t go add all their acquaintances. I could be wrong.

The only workaround I’ve found is if the person has iTunes credit on their account, it’ll charge that before it charges the main credit card.

The other workaround is them being registered as a child on your account and literally under 12 or some such to ask for confirmation (via a pin?) from you to allow purchases, but I don’t have kids so not sure how that works

The other crappy part is it won't use iTunes Credit on the primary account for any of the family accounts, it'll charge the credit card.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I want to say if my gf bought an app and didn’t have credit, but I did, it charged my credit? Maybe it changes between subscriptions, in-app purchased, app-purchases, etc.

I have my sister on mine and she just keeps itunes credit in hers and none of her purchases ever charged me. Not sure what would happen if she bought a movie or TV show

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

This is the first Android phone that's ever made stop and wonder if I should switch. Seriously, Google is doing a better job innovating with the Pixel phones. It will take Apple another 6 years to develop these features and then claim that they invented them. Motion Sense is pretty loving cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

XBenedict posted:

This is the first Android phone that's ever made stop and wonder if I should switch. Seriously, Google is doing a better job innovating with the Pixel phones. It will take Apple another 6 years to develop these features and then claim that they invented them. Motion Sense is pretty loving cool.

???

Everyone is absolutely hating on the 4. I’ve yet to see a single good review about it. No ultra wide, no more unlimited photo (original size) storage, the motion stuff being a gimmick and forcing a giant bezel on top. None of the reviews I’ve seen have been good at all.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

???

Everyone is absolutely hating on the 4. I’ve yet to see a single good review about it. No ultra wide, no more unlimited photo (original size) storage, the motion stuff being a gimmick and forcing a giant bezel on top. None of the reviews I’ve seen have been good at all.

Yeah, and don't forget a 90hz display with a tiny battery. Google claims the refresh rate is adaptive but still no excuse even if true

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It should be remembered that the Samsung S4 had motion sense and they've never followed it up in the six iterations since.

The only other oem to have a time of flight sensor is LG with their current G8, and well, loving el oh el.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

???

I was just going to say this.

I haven’t seen a single positive thing about it yet. Even the android threads are not being friendly towards it.