Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
https://newhorizonmall.com/interactive-map/#/location/5ad3bab0268e47087f671852

Did someone say ghost mall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh God is that the giant monstrosity just as you come into Calgary from the north?

No, not Crossiron Mills. The OTHER monstrosity.

(No, not Airdrie.)

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

less than three posted:

Yeah Highstreet.

Look at this mind blowing list of retailers!
http://highstreetfv.com/directory/

I was there last month for a birthday party for a friend's two-year old. Apparently there is a community room there you can reserve for free. I didn't notice anything terribly remarkable about the place, certainly no idea it was supposed to be Canada's biggest mall at some point. Seemed thoroughly unremarkable, though the underground parking was nicely colour coded!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I was there last month for a birthday party for a friend's two-year old. Apparently there is a community room there you can reserve for free. I didn't notice anything terribly remarkable about the place, certainly no idea it was supposed to be Canada's biggest mall at some point. Seemed thoroughly unremarkable, though the underground parking was nicely colour coded!

I don't know if it was going to be Canada's biggest as posted earlier, but they definitely thought it'd draw in all the Metro Vancouver people instead of going to Metrotown or Coquitlam Centre.

e: In a similar vein, I went to Tsawwassen Mills once. A guy in a store asked where I was from, and when I said Downtown Vancouver he was like "why would you come here?"

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 14, 2019

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

less than three posted:

e: In a similar vein, I went to Tsawwassen Mills once. A guy in a store asked where I was from, and when I said Downtown Vancouver he was like "why would you come here?"

New thread title

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

less than three posted:

I don't know if it was going to be Canada's biggest as posted earlier, but they definitely thought it'd draw in all the Metro Vancouver people instead of going to Metrotown or Coquitlam Centre.

Did you have an answer?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

Did you have an answer?

Not really. It was new and I wanted to check it out. Its a weird place, like a normal mall but all the shops are twice as big than normal.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

less than three posted:

Not really. It was new and I wanted to check it out. Its a weird place, like a normal mall but all the shops are twice as big than normal.

It was a loving ghost town the two times I went, I wonder how many empty storefronts it has now.

SHAQ4PREZ fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 15, 2019

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Speaking of empty storefronts. I went to Brentwood today. Basically everything except the food court and EB Games is an empty storefront. It was almost surreal.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Yeah. I was at Tinsel Town today. That mall has always had a vacancy issue but it seemed even more vacant than usual.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Anyone have any good family discussions on real estate this Thanksgiving? Mine were "maybe it's time you bought a house for your family".

Me: lol no

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

sitchensis posted:

Yeah. I was at Tinsel Town today. That mall has always had a vacancy issue but it seemed even more vacant than usual.

Tinseltown has never given a poo poo about tenants. Chinese owned of course. That mall could have been successful in that area, especially now that it's built up. Instead it's just contributing to the dtes rot heading the other way.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Tinseltown has never given a poo poo about tenants. Chinese owned of course. That mall could have been successful in that area, especially now that it's built up. Instead it's just contributing to the dtes rot heading the other way.

It's good for free parking while watching a movie though. And they quite often get somewhat smaller/indie movies that don't show up elsewhere

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

half cocaine posted:

Anyone have any good family discussions on real estate this Thanksgiving? Mine were "maybe it's time you bought a house for your family".

I was in a mountain hut potlucking and discussing the end of the world with environmental science majors. :science:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

half cocaine posted:

My FIL who has been NDP and "for the working class" his entire life until real estate paid off and then went full conservative seems to have had yet another change of heart and voted NDP again, which is positive.

Dude went from pro-union to "maybe trump will be a good change of pace" and back to pro-union in like 4 years flat.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Tinseltown has one of the better (and cheaper) fried chicken joints in their fuckin food court now. Go eat at TJs and tell me I'm wrong

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawKnee posted:

Tinseltown has one of the better (and cheaper) fried chicken joints in their fuckin food court now. Go eat at TJs and tell me I'm wrong

you're wrong

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

JawKnee posted:

Youre wrong

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The lines are usually long and the owner is a social media thirsty dipshit but the best fried chicken is definitely Downlow and it's not even close.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sorry it's Damso on Denman no contest.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

HookShot posted:

Sorry it's Damso on Denman no contest.

:wrong:

I'd arrange a Chicken Crawl to prove you wrong but work is all I do these days :negative:

And uuuuuh while on the topic, there seems to be a shitload of sub-$1m houses around Commercial Drive. I think the great unwinding is upon us.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

The best fried chicken is the Korean fried chicken drumsticks at Zabuu chicken. Fight me.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You're all wrong because everyone knows the best chicken place is LA Chicken.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

My partner and I put offers in on three properties in Metro Vancouver this past month. We are both professionals and are looking to buy our first home together and figured that with prices dropping we could finally make that move.

The first offer we went above asking on the unit but lost out to a buyer who bought with all cash.

The next offer we went in at asking and again lost out to a buyer who bought with all cash.

The last offer was a risk. We put an offer in on a unit in a complex we had looked at previously, so we knew the strata and had depreciation reports. However, the listing was a few hours old and we didn't actually go look at the unit first. We decided to be aggressive and put in an offer at asking price. The listing agent let our offer expire because, apparently, the seller only wanted to see offers after the first open house and wouldn't consider an offer that only came in at the listed price for the unit.

My partner and I have given up on buying property in this stupid market for the foreseeable future and are just gonna keep sitting on the sidelines. gently caress the lower mainland.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Don't worry, a local grassroots oganization has a plan to restore housing prices to nominal levels that might be crazy enough to work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can we some how make cheaply built glass curtain wall condo towers a symbol of support for HK so they become illegal to market in China?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

sitchensis posted:

My partner and I put offers in on three properties in Metro Vancouver this past month. We are both professionals and are looking to buy our first home together and figured that with prices dropping we could finally make that move.

The first offer we went above asking on the unit but lost out to a buyer who bought with all cash.

The next offer we went in at asking and again lost out to a buyer who bought with all cash.

The last offer was a risk. We put an offer in on a unit in a complex we had looked at previously, so we knew the strata and had depreciation reports. However, the listing was a few hours old and we didn't actually go look at the unit first. We decided to be aggressive and put in an offer at asking price. The listing agent let our offer expire because, apparently, the seller only wanted to see offers after the first open house and wouldn't consider an offer that only came in at the listed price for the unit.

My partner and I have given up on buying property in this stupid market for the foreseeable future and are just gonna keep sitting on the sidelines. gently caress the lower mainland.

Yeah, same here. Dual professional household and impossible to find suitable family housing that is priced at a level commensurate with quality. All speculation and money laundering.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

sitchensis posted:

Is there even any data on what fraction of real estate sales are all cash? It feels like there should be news articles and a lot more outrage.

Edit: lol at that last seller, though. They're dreaming if they think the days of bidding wars are coming back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Money laundering doesn't care about gains so much, if their investment goes up that's a nice bonus but not required. To get the dirty money out there will need to be either a crash big enough that even criminals don't want to eat those losses or maybe some actual regulations with teeth that make BC an unattractive place to do financial crimes.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Rural prices are going back up as everyone scrambles to buy in the middle of nowhere. Can't imagine why, hope the coming recession slaughters them but these are usually non-financed sales.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Everyone go to myrealtycheck.ca and tell me how many percent of the arrows are green and pointing up.

incontinence 100 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 18, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My family is selling a house and the drat realtor wanted to sit on it until spring because "houses sell better in the spring" and I told him to loving list the thing asap.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

Everyone go to myrealtycheck.ca and tell me how many percent of the arrows are green and pointing up.

Don't tell me what to do. I'm buying a house anyway! That arrow business sounds like the same crap I got sold on tradingacademy.com! I'm on to that sort of nonsense now!

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Don't tell me what to do. I'm buying a house anyway! That arrow business sounds like the same crap I got sold on tradingacademy.com! I'm on to that sort of nonsense now!

Hidden baby boomer account spotted.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

incontinence 100 posted:

looking at properties around me in Victoria I notice prices that were loaded with 8s in the summer no longer have any after their October reductions... :iiam:

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This market isn't recovering or stabilizing.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Lucky price! No ghosts.

Lucky price? No! Ghosts!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

Best news Ive had all week.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Gah -- just saw this while browsing those listings, and looked it up because it was right by the house some friends are renting.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2402458/1410-e-1st-avenue-vancouver-bc

quote:

Attention families and/or AirBnB Superhosts! This property is perfect for you! Tastefully updated & stylish family home just steps to The Drive and less than 5 minutes to downtown Vancouver. 3 bedrooms up, licensed & professionally managed AirBnB 2 bedroom suite down bringing in $40k+ per year in revenue. No work needed, just sit back and enjoy your investment. Best month was over $6k!

Yep, just using your illegal AirBnB suite as a selling feature of your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

incontinence 100 posted:

Seems like it's recovering pretty well from the shock of having a zillion unwarranted dollars dumped into it.