Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Launching Arena turns my laptop into a space heater.

I don't even think it's the cat, I've had to turn the resolution and graphics ALL the way down to be able to see things happening on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't understand how they've managed to regress it so much. Who knew a little cat would be so perf intensive!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Does quitting a game still use the stack* in arena?

*Doesn’t technically use the stack but at least at one point required both players’ game states to be synced with server which was often equivalent to “using the stack.”

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Also just saw the GP schedule for next year.....seems like I chose a good time to gently caress off out of Florida early next year. Our one GP a year is now downgraded even more (Palm Beach), and there's no Atlanta at all, so the next closest is Charlotte.

I guess gently caress the entire Southeast. This place is a desert for magic at this point. Florida hasn't had an open in like 4 or 5 years, either.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Also just saw the GP schedule for next year.....seems like I chose a good time to gently caress off out of Florida early next year. Our one GP a year is now downgraded even more (Palm Beach), and there's no Atlanta at all, so the next closest is Charlotte.

I guess gently caress the entire Southeast. This place is a desert for magic at this point. Florida hasn't had an open in like 4 or 5 years, either.

Good to see western Canada gets shafted again as well. No Calgary, no Vancouver. Only two Canadian GP’s total (Toronto and Montreal of course)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Are major event locations planned based on how much each sponsor likes the city or the number of players that register for each prior event in the area or what?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Good to see western Canada gets shafted again as well. No Calgary, no Vancouver. Only two Canadian GP’s total (Toronto and Montreal of course)

The number of GPs in APAC has also collapsed. I think there is only one not connected to a Pro Tour, 4 total.

Kinda seems like everywhere but the US has shrunk.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tubgoat posted:

Are major event locations planned based on how much each sponsor likes the city or the number of players that register for each prior event in the area or what?

As far as I know it's entirely based on whatever with give them some combination of cheap venues and reasonable attendance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
dehumanize yourself and face to arena

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I really don't understand how they've managed to regress it so much. Who knew a little cat would be so perf intensive!

Basically Arena is built on a platform (Unity) that is easy to develop for but gets bad as it gets bigger. It’s more adding more cards (and the associated assets) than the cat in particular. It is probably only going to get worse. 😰

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Of course one of the useful things about Unity is the ease of porting to other platforms. How's the Arena mobile version btw? Is there a Mac client yet?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Isn't Hearthstone made in Unity?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

moush posted:

Isn't Hearthstone made in Unity?

It is. They also have a decent dev team with a proven company that can make video games.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
You can make good performing games in Unity that use lots of assets, but that requires a level of competence that WotC hasn't had since they fired Leaping Lizard.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Basically Arena is built on a platform (Unity) that is easy to develop for but gets bad as it gets bigger. It’s more adding more cards (and the associated assets) than the cat in particular. It is probably only going to get worse. 😰

Yeah I knew that but I still find it a stretch. Having a large card library really oughtn't to tax the cpu or gpu, especially considering the total number of polygons on screen and the pace of updates.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cynic Jester posted:

You can make good performing games in Unity that use lots of assets, but that requires a level of competence that WotC hasn't had since they fired Leaping Lizard.

Please remind me who Leaping Lizard is, the name sounds so familiar. Were they MTGO 1.0?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I knew that but I still find it a stretch. Having a large card library really oughtn't to tax the cpu or gpu, especially considering the total number of polygons on screen and the pace of updates.

i mean, they don't need to instantiate every single card in the database per game, do they?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

i mean, they don't need to instantiate every single card in the database per game, do they?

Yes lol welcome to Unity

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arivia posted:

you would think that after two decades of MTGO, "MAKE THIS poo poo SCALABLE INDEFINITELY WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS" would have been at the top of the design document in 72 point font, but I guess this is Wizards we're talking about

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

Yes lol welcome to Unity
Wait, so when I slam down Unlucky Fried Kitten vs. Turn 2 'Walker.dec, the client has loaded Hazoret, the Fervent on each side already? :stare:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Like I assume the rules engine is miles away from the display layer. To the display every card should be basically the same, plus some etb animations and targetting swooshes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, so when I slam down Unlucky Fried Kitten vs. Turn 2 'Walker.dec, the client has loaded Hazoret, the Fervent on each side already? :stare:

please don't take armchair developers at their word, especially when it comes to hating on the black sheep engine of the moment

the only people who actually know how the game is structured and programmed work for wizards

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they've managed to write a game that leaks memory like a sieve despite using a garbage-collected runtime, which is very difficult to do if you put any care at all into performance and scalability.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

please don't take armchair developers at their word, especially when it comes to hating on the black sheep engine of the moment

the only people who actually know how the game is structured and programmed work for wizards
:shrug: I don't honestly know, comrade. All I know for fact is that WotC is extremely loving incompetent, Hasbro is extremely loving incompetent and that neither entity gives a gently caress that their client is bloated and lovely on a good day.
Every loving conspiracy theory of the 80s and 90s has come true. And I'm to disbelieve a goon in the Magic: The Gathering thread?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

probably someone at wotc getting tired of playing mtgfinance and just programming a bitcoin miner into arena

flatluigi posted:

Please do not spread such misinformation. There is zero evidence that anyone who works for Wizards of the Coast have any idea how their digital products are structured or programmed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

There is zero evidence that anyone who works for Wizards of the Coast have any idea how their digital products are structured or programmed.
This tracks with what I've experienced.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There are two GP's in the Northeast for the first half of the year. This schedule is very weird, it screams CFB finding cheap locations to hold Magicfests except the ones that are also Players Tour because WoTC presumably still coughs up money for those. I mean why Louisville vs. Atlanta or Reno vs. Denver/Vegas? Detroit vs. Indanapolis for midwest? Also likely a cost savings thing.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tubgoat posted:

Please remind me who Leaping Lizard is, the name sounds so familiar. Were they MTGO 1.0?

Yepp. Back when the game worked well and features were added instead of removed.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Arivia posted:

Yes lol welcome to Unity

What exactly is about Unity that you believe would require this?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sit on my Jace posted:

What exactly is about Unity that you believe would require this?

IDK, calling me an armchair developer is right but every time I turn around there's another game having Unity issues and they're all related to poor asset management and memory leaks and everything

It just happens again and again and again, the universal rule seems to be that big Unity games are poorly performing as some weakness of the basic structure of the game engine

Also I have paid attention to years of Wizards trying to develop games and electronic products both in and out of house and they are never of the highest quality but hey at least Arena is still being developed and has not suffered a development team massacre yet

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I literally don't remember this card existing and I drafted that set a fair bit. :psyduck:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Armchair developers will always proclaim any program currently using more memory than they think it ought to have a "memory leak".

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Entropic posted:

Armchair developers will always proclaim any program currently using more memory than they think it ought to have a "memory leak".

You're right, WotC did say they fixed some but not all of the memory leaks, but to be honest maybe there aren't any memory leaks and they're just armchair developers?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

jassi007 posted:

There are two GP's in the Northeast for the first half of the year. This schedule is very weird, it screams CFB finding cheap locations to hold Magicfests except the ones that are also Players Tour because WoTC presumably still coughs up money for those. I mean why Louisville vs. Atlanta or Reno vs. Denver/Vegas? Detroit vs. Indanapolis for midwest? Also likely a cost savings thing.

I know for me personally since CFB has taken over the end user experience as an attendee was gotten worse compared to the SCG run event I attended. But if certain regions were profitable for SCG they’d run the tour there too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

better a memory leak than a mana leak :downsrim:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Jabor posted:

they've managed to write a game that leaks memory like a sieve despite using a garbage-collected runtime, which is very difficult to do if you put any care at all into performance and scalability.

Performance? Scalability? How do we monetise those?

Edit: Premium Performance Pass, 3000 gems per set to have a client that performs in an acceptable manner.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Memory Leak
1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

JerryLee posted:

Memory Leak
1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard.

Memory Leak
1U
Enchantment
Whenever a player casts a spell, put a bloat counter on memory leak.

Each spell costs an additional 1 to cast for each counter on memory leak.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

Memory Leak
1U
Instant
I would probably play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I would probably play this.

It’s pretty close to Remand and might be better, I think a lot of decks would play that