Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://youtu.be/iqel0k0NzNU this, I think, is what we’re talking about. Something very special about this video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hyperrealistic Venetian Blinds

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

And then.. the lawyers... they were found one week later. They had all hung themselves in the Venetian blinds. You could adjust the blinds to coax more hyper realistic pixel blood out of them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

And then.. the lawyers... they were found one week later. They had all hung themselves in the Venetian blinds. You could adjust the blinds to coax more hyper realistic pixel blood out of them

I opened the blinds all the way again, and I'll never forget the mangled ET corpse I saw through that window

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F20mGbmmkxw

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Hyperrealistic blind Venetian

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That Active Worlds looks like a Thief MMO. Same 1999 particle effects.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I started watching this video at 1:00pm, it was only after somebody came over to ask me a question that I realized it was 2:38 and I was crying

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Venetian Blinds... the last game they released on Game Room.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bogart posted:

https://youtu.be/iqel0k0NzNU this, I think, is what we’re talking about. Something very special about this video.

I think this is it, too. Man what a weird fever dream of a memory that is. I was never really sure if it was real or not.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thank you

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Spoooooopy game idea with quasi-creepypasta elements

Roguelike/alike where every enemy is some Lv.99 nightmare you could never beat, the caveat being that every time you die, that bones file carries over as a new unique enemy next run. Which can often be VERY easy to overcome. The idea being you eventually pile up so many undead yous, that you can start to level up each run, eventually enough to take on the native superenemies of the place, and growing exponentially in power to steamroll the end.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rogue legacy?

Some Roguelikes do have undead versions of your prior character as potential spawns.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Some Roguelikes do have undead versions of your prior character as potential spawns.

They mentioned this very same thing in the post, lol.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

packetmantis posted:

They mentioned this very same thing in the post, lol.

Yes, and they're saying that feature in that hypothetical game exists in actual games? :confused:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Glagha posted:

I actually like The Theater a bit as well. I kind of like the whole over the top reactions to the swirly head guy specifically because it's kind of excessive. The idea of an image that is mundane but for some reason fills people with an unexplained revulsion and dread is kinda neat as a horror idea. Kinda hard to execute the idea of "There's this thing that's not scary but for some reason it's REALLY scary you gotta believe me" though.

I liked the 'next page' from the linked page:

https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/The_True_Story_of_the_Theater

Purports to be a simple explanation for the legend of The Theater. "It's just a shittily programmed game and sometimes glitches, I dunno why people are attributing all this supernatural stuff to it." :shrug:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomFerret posted:

Joel gets a pass because he's a Swede living in Sweden and doesn't have encyclopedic knowledge of all these lovely American dogwhistles. Somebody explained the attack helicopter thing to him and he dropped it immediately

I forgot to add that part, yeah. I'm still a little cautious with Joel, not majorly so. Just being slightly cautious. I just find Vinny and Rev more enjoyable.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm so glad Vinny does what he does, so well, and while still being a pretty chill and nice guy. I've never heard anything bad about him, (Rev either, Joel I'm a little wary about because he may still do the attack helicopter jokes, and is a fan of the BBQ Pit Boys who are big CHUDs. The other streamers I'm not as familiar with but haven't heard anything bad about them either.)

As far as I can tell Vinny is genuinely a good, cool, and chill guy. Joel definitely made a transphobic joke a few years ago and apologized, don't know if he did anything bad recently. As for the other streamers the only thing I can confirm is that Imakuni casually used slurs without comment as late as 2016 when I tried to watch a few of her archived streams.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Black August posted:

Spoooooopy game idea with quasi-creepypasta elements

Roguelike/alike where every enemy is some Lv.99 nightmare you could never beat, the caveat being that every time you die, that bones file carries over as a new unique enemy next run. Which can often be VERY easy to overcome. The idea being you eventually pile up so many undead yous, that you can start to level up each run, eventually enough to take on the native superenemies of the place, and growing exponentially in power to steamroll the end.

that reminds me of an old megadrive game where you play as 3 brothers (the brothers acting as lives basically, it was permadeath before permadeath was a term). If an elder brother in a previous run dies and you play as a younger brother, you encounter the elder as a skeleton who can kill you.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Depressing that no one's posted any actually good new creepypastas in these last few years while TERRIBLE ones continue to be written.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that reminds me of an old megadrive game where you play as 3 brothers (the brothers acting as lives basically, it was permadeath before permadeath was a term). If an elder brother in a previous run dies and you play as a younger brother, you encounter the elder as a skeleton who can kill you.

Oh was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHSA-w9wc8

Didn't know it had a Mega Drive port but it was on Amiga so not much of a stretch there I guess

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHSA-w9wc8

Didn't know it had a Mega Drive port but it was on Amiga so not much of a stretch there I guess

that's the one! But yeah i remember killing a skeleton as a younger brother and the (corpse?) actually tells me "i'm your bro and i died horribly doing the quest you've embarked on, bye"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that's the one! But yeah i remember killing a skeleton as a younger brother and the (corpse?) actually tells me "i'm your bro and i died horribly doing the quest you've embarked on, bye"

Yeah, that stuff is really cool. What a neat little game

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

TheNamedSavior posted:

Depressing that no one's posted any actually good new creepypastas in these last few years while TERRIBLE ones continue to be written.

starting to see why you have that redtext

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Color Printer posted:

Yes, and they're saying that feature in that hypothetical game exists in actual games? :confused:

He literally mentioned the concept of a "bones file", which is the name for that feature, in his post.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone who knows something about Fortnite should write a spooky scary story about it that ends with John Wick shooting the hosed up glitch monster or whatever to death and dabbing over it

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
How dare you, John Wick would never

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
There was a weird Disgaea spinoff called ZHP, where you were a rookie superhero fighting against a supervillain who was way out of your league, but your power was to resurrect and every time you did so you started back at level 1, but retained the stat ups from your previous life, so eventually you would overcome through sheer attrition. It wasn’t spooky but it did play up the existential horror of dying repeatedly, and I think maybe there was some equivalent exchange deal where eventually your family died and turned into monsters?*

*e: In the game, not in real life.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Nah, there was just monster versions of your family already, because all your training took place on Bizarro Earth, on the exact opposite side of the sun. You could also turn your gathered items into stat boosts by implanting them within your body.

ZHP was a real good game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

John Lee posted:

Shame that the Guided Fate games were really not

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

The first Guided Fate game was still pretty good mechanically, although that didn't help the titty-maids aesthetic. And I liked wandering into the character's stories and going "Hey. I'm God."

The second took a big nosedive down in both mechanics and story, though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I still wish there was a good creepypasta thread on this forum. There’s just so many, especially recently, that it’s hard to know which ones may be worth your time.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

John Lee posted:

Yes! I still have the UMD, though it sits languishing in a cupboard.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Shame that the Guided Fate games were really not

Also, yes. Although I only played the first one and not for very long.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Glagha posted:

I actually like The Theater a bit as well. I kind of like the whole over the top reactions to the swirly head guy specifically because it's kind of excessive. The idea of an image that is mundane but for some reason fills people with an unexplained revulsion and dread is kinda neat as a horror idea. Kinda hard to execute the idea of "There's this thing that's not scary but for some reason it's REALLY scary you gotta believe me" though.

Reminds me of this mess; an actual game someone made that's vaguely similar in style. Dunno if the files exist any more, though, and most of the stuff that was attached to it is long gone.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, the recordings people made of their playthroughs are embellished and include a bunch of fake stuff that isn't in the actual game. I should know, I decompiled it :v:

It also runs like absolute poo poo in the "maze" area because it draws every single face of the absolutely enormous textured walls, even the ones that are totally invisible.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I still wish there was a good creepypasta thread on this forum. There’s just so many, especially recently, that it’s hard to know which ones may be worth your time.

Should be an easy PYF thread to make. (I don't care for the subject, so I can't help you there.)

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

Reminds me of this mess; an actual game someone made that's vaguely similar in style. Dunno if the files exist any more, though, and most of the stuff that was attached to it is long gone.

From vague looking at comments on youtube videos, people are convinced it's "BANNED FROM THE SURFACE WEB" because it can DAMAGE YOUR HARD DRIVE and you need to use the DARK WEB to find the game if you want to play it now!!

I do not understand how people can believe that things can even be 'banned from the surface web' in the first place. :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I mean, there are things that are banned from the "surface web", but the less said about that the better.

As for damaging your hard drive, if I recall correctly, the executable's basically

[code]
game program.exe
run game
eject disc drive
[code]

A few parts of it cause an intentional crash, which would exit the game, followed by the disc tray opening.

Maybe they figured it'd break their cupholders?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The answer is none. They’re all poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GutBomb posted:

The answer is none. They’re all poo poo.

From all the time i've put into listening to the NoSleep podcast this is it right here.

The horror is always murder/rape/pedophilia and very seldom ghosts/boogeymen/bigfoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There are a few with good underlying concepts that are delivered with as much polish as you’d expect out of an average reddit poster