Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I feel like there is plenty to hate about Pelosi without having to write fanfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

Hi, unrelated question because I'm rereading the Constitution -- if Congress has "authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress", can Congress require that gun owners spend all their time training in special gun training facilities separated from the public?

That doesn't work under the current SCOTUS interpretation of the 2nd amendment.Whether or not we agree with it, what it essentially means right now is "since we clearly need a militia, every able bodied man should be able to own a gun."

And yeah, w don't have militias any more unless you are going to count the national guard. But they ruled that it doesn't say IF we need a militia, or WHEN we need a militia, just that is clear we do and the court chose not to read one of those two words into the first part. So, if that first part stops being true, the amendment is not nullified, and the second part always is in effect.

Your proposed law would do nothing until we have militias, except maybe it might apply to the national guard.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Alright, my misunderstanding. I thought I read she was considering giving a vote until she was convinced not to.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gatts posted:

Alright, my misunderstanding. I thought I read she was considering giving a vote until she was convinced not to.

The reporting was that it was being discussed, and after the presser it seems like some other garbage rep like Hoyer was making noise to hold a vote and she shot it down.

Watch the loving presser you very obviously didn't before going conspiracy theorist.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rigel posted:

That doesn't work under the current SCOTUS interpretation of the 2nd amendment.Whether or not we agree with it, what it essentially means right now is "since we clearly need a militia, every able bodied man should be able to own a gun."

And yeah, w don't have militias any more unless you are going to count the national guard. But they ruled that it doesn't say IF we need a militia, or WHEN we need a militia, just that is clear we do and the court chose not to read one of those two words into the first part. So, if that first part stops being true, the amendment is not nullified, and the second part always is in effect.

Your proposed law would do nothing until we have militias, except maybe it might apply to the national guard.

No, Congress can just create the Gun Owners Militia which all gun owners automatically join upon purchasing their gun, and require that members of the Gun Owners Militia immediately report to the nearest Gun Owners Militia Training Facility on penalty of federal prison.

The daily training session in the Gun Owners Militia Training Facility is a looping film strip with a damaged cassette tape that explains how to voluntarily sell your gun to the federal government for $1.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

No, Congress can just create the Gun Owners Militia which all gun owners automatically join upon purchasing their gun, and require that members of the Gun Owners Militia immediately report to the nearest Gun Owners Militia Training Facility on penalty of federal prison.

The daily training session in the Gun Owners Militia Training Facility is a looping film strip with a damaged cassette tape that explains how to voluntarily sell your gun to the federal government for $1.

This made me chuckle.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gatts posted:

I'll help, because this keeps confusing people. There are two potential votes. A ceremonial, meaningless vote that is not legally required to open an impeachment inquiry, and eventually.... the real vote later down the line. Out of three presidential impeachments in history, only two started with a vote to open an inquiry. In this new 4th case, Pelosi and Schiff just declared on their own that they were opening an impeachment inquiry. They can do that, there's nothing that says they can't.

The GOP is claiming that an impeachment inquiry vote is legally required and without it, no one has to obey any subpoenas or cooperate in testimony. They are wrong. They are either stupid, lying, or both.

Pelosi was tempted to do it anyway because she thinks it might be good politics and a trap to spring on vulnerable republicans who don't want to vote, to force them to go on record as not even wanting to investigate. She backed down because leaders in her caucus said "no don't, this is stupid, we don't need to waste time with a meaningless ceremonial vote".

If the Supreme Court hilariously "in a 5-4 decision" 's us, they can quickly gavel this now-suddenly-needed vote through in a hurry.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

please explain what you think occurs when the white house sends out a document entitled SUBPOENA because trump finally berated one of his lawyers into compliance

i'm not saying that he won't ever do that out of pique. what i'm asking you is, what exactly do you think will happen then? why are you concerned about it? it will be an angry letter with precisely zero legal significance. it will mean less, legally, than this post.

Given today's performance, Nancy might try to whip people into obeying, honestly

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

That wouldn't even be a 5-4 decision.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Rigel posted:

Pelosi was tempted to do it anyway because she thinks it might be good politics and a trap to spring on vulnerable republicans who don't want to vote, to force them to go on record as not even wanting to investigate. She backed down because leaders in her caucus said "no don't, this is stupid, we don't need to waste time with a meaningless ceremonial vote".

Source?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought they were mostly gone. fred died and recanted on his deathbed. most of the kids are gone now and i think the Drane dude leads it now as his personal fiefdom.

Grift froth + religious froth? Apparently they have new members? Don't care to look into them here atm...they don't seem worthy. :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Otteration posted:

Grift froth + religious froth? Apparently they have new members? Don't care to look into them here atm...they don't seem worthy. :)

drane and his family joined in the 80s or 90s or something. he was some hippy documentry dude and he either fell head over heels for their bullshit or is playing a long con. probably a mix of both.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

That article says 2015

Oops, sorry. New glasses needed. Protest some more anyway. :)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rigel posted:

I'll help, because this keeps confusing people. There are two potential votes. A ceremonial, meaningless vote that is not legally required to open an impeachment inquiry, and eventually.... the real vote later down the line. Out of three presidential impeachments in history, only two started with a vote to open an inquiry. In this new 4th case, Pelosi and Schiff just declared on their own that they were opening an impeachment inquiry. They can do that, there's nothing that says they can't.

The GOP is claiming that an impeachment inquiry vote is legally required and without it, no one has to obey any subpoenas or cooperate in testimony. They are wrong. They are either stupid, lying, or both.

If the Supreme Court hilariously "in a 5-4 decision" 's us, they can quickly gavel this now-suddenly-needed vote through in a hurry.

This is a good post.

Also worth mentioning, why the Democrats don't move faster or just vote now, because they own the house.

1) these impeachment proceedings are moving INSANSELY fast, Nixon took almost a year.

2) the Democrats are likely trying to uncover rock-solid proof of a crime that will force the Republicans in the Senate to vote to remove.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There probably is no proof that could force that, but they can make the inevitable vote to acquit as damaging as possible.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Elviscat posted:

2) the Democrats are likely trying to uncover rock-solid proof of a crime that will force the Republicans in the Senate to vote to remove.

Its going to have to be insanely solid, to the point where Graham and McConnell are suddenly in trouble for 2020.

Realistically, they are trying to make the inevitable acquittal as politically horrendous for the GOP as possible.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

So, every headline today is about either the disastrous genocide that Trump started through his own cowardice - and where literally only Rand Paul has come out to defend him - or about how government personnel are lining up to testify about how everything in Ukraine was a giant crime syndicate that Giuliani was running for Trump’s personal benefit and his 2020 campaign

And then Pelosi held a press conference that this thread spent two hours screaming that would be a disaster where she gave in to meaningless GOP demands to hold an impeachment inquiry vote

But because she decided at the last minute that such a vote wouldn’t be a good idea, she’s actually a giant disaster who is ruining the impeachment process because she’s actually a Trump supporter and Trump is just endlessly, endlessly winning and will easily be re-elected

Good work, thread, you’re on the top of your game today

Yep, not seeing at all how Republicans have legally or politically advanced their goals (even) recently. Those that aver the Senate will "never" vote to remove the orange fecal smear from office forget how long "never" is and how loving awful he might end up being for them when the smear hits their fans.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/humorandanimals/status/1180879626362589185

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Otteration posted:

Yep, not seeing at all how Republicans have legally or politically advanced their goals (even) recently. Those that aver the Senate will "never" vote to remove the orange fecal smear from office forget how long "never" is and how loving awful he might end up being for them when the smear hits their fans.

If it gets bad enough, I predict that they may make the calculation that getting rid of Trump might be easier for them in the long run than carrying his dead weight into an important election year. Don't know if we're quite at that point yet, but we may well be in a month or two. I don't think this is going to get any better for Trump - or for the GOP.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rigel posted:

Its going to have to be insanely solid, to the point where Graham and McConnell are suddenly in trouble for 2020.

Realistically, they are trying to make the inevitable acquittal as politically horrendous for the GOP as possible.

I'm hoping that one of the call recordings the WH is violently trying to cover up has "I'll get you your loving missiles if you investigate Hunter" since that's the line in the sand the Republicans have drawn, or maybe they just find something coincidental. That's the kinda hope that lead my mom to have a novelty Robert Mueller prayer candle on her kitchen island though.

I really want to watch him burn for Syria, but it's too well established a power vested in the executive branch for that to get him.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1184273516075667457

And of course Giuliani was trying to get us to deport Gulen back to Turkey
I had originally thought Giuliani's role was just a replacement henchman after Cohen got pinched, but now I see he's basically the fusion dance of all of Flynn's and Cohen's crimes combined.

This is the nerdiest political analogy I've ever put forth, gently caress you 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Elviscat posted:

I'm hoping that one of the call recordings the WH is violently trying to cover up has "I'll get you your loving missiles if you investigate Hunter" since that's the line in the sand the Republicans have drawn, or maybe they just find something coincidental. That's the kinda hope that lead my mom to have a novelty Robert Mueller prayer candle on her kitchen island though.

I really want to watch him burn for Syria, but it's too well established a power vested in the executive branch for that to get him.

"It is important that the president is so tough on corruption and tracks it down no matter whose son it is. He is that tough on corruption! Frankly the american citizens should be proud someone is finally tackling wrong doing in DC and draining the swamp!"

They can spin anything.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

1337JiveTurkey posted:

How does everybody get implicated in the exact same loving crimes!?

Alright people, let's do this one last time. My name is Michael Flynn Paul Manafort Michael Cohen Rudy Giuliani. I was bitten by a radioactive crime. And for the last 3 million years I thought I was the one and only Crime-Man...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cr0y posted:

"It is important that the president is so tough on corruption and tracks it down no matter whose son it is. He is that tough on corruption! Frankly the american citizens should be proud someone is finally tackling wrong doing in DC and draining the swamp!"

They can spin anything.

while i agree. the senate for the most part has still be quiet and alot of them are pissed as gently caress about the kurds.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1184273516075667457

And of course Giuliani was trying to get us to deport Gulen back to Turkey

quote:

However, Trump appeared receptive to the idea, pressing his advisers about Gulen’s status, the people said.

One former senior administration official recalled that Trump asked frequently about why Gulen couldn’t be turned over to Turkey, referring to Erdogan as “my friend.”

loving hell, I bet Enes Kanter’s name is in one or more transcripts too

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ZobarStyl posted:

I had originally thought Giuliani's role was just a replacement henchman after Cohen got pinched, but now I see he's basically the fusion dance of all of Flynn's and Cohen's crimes combined.

This is the nerdiest political analogy I've ever put forth, gently caress you 2019

Giuliani is the dog chimera from Full Metal Alchemist, except you're relieved when it dies.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

I'm more mad that they didn't even take the effort to actually try to make them semi-playable Magic cards as well, because those look like an amusing Un-like set.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Giuliani is the dog chimera from Full Metal Alchemist, except you're relieved when it dies.

Nah, Rudy is Shou Tucker. He makes the crime chimeras, and they keep getting worse because he just can't loving stop himself.

Also he winds up stapled to a gorilla's rear end.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Otteration posted:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If it gets bad enough, I predict that they may make the calculation that getting rid of Trump might be easier for them in the long run than carrying his dead weight into an important election year. Don't know if we're quite at that point yet, but we may well be in a month or two. I don't think this is going to get any better for Trump - or for the GOP.

Yeah, I don't know. I'm hoping that as the case builds and gets reported upon with new testimony, his support continues to deteriorate because it's a constant build and escalation rather than the slow cycle of new reporting -> new outrage -> lots of discussion -> slow return to the standard polling lines as people shrug.

Trump's polling dived into the shitter following the Access Hollywood tape release, but then moved back to its normal 40% after a week and GOPers managed to rationalize themselves into "well, he's a shitbag, but he's our side's shitbag" and most of the Mueller investigation fell into that pattern as well. This feels like it might be building, but it's felt like that before.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Given that none of us last week or month had one clue about where are right now, "predictions" might be unfortunate. Trends might be a thing though. Just a nuance, is all. :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, I don't know. I'm hoping that as the case builds and gets reported upon with new testimony, his support continues to deteriorate because it's a constant build and escalation rather than the slow cycle of new reporting -> new outrage -> lots of discussion -> slow return to the standard polling lines as people shrug.

Trump's polling dived into the shitter following the Access Hollywood tape release, but then moved back to its normal 40% after a week and GOPers managed to rationalize themselves into "well, he's a shitbag, but he's our side's shitbag" and most of the Mueller investigation fell into that pattern as well. This feels like it might be building, but it's felt like that before.

both of those had various other factors. comey dumb poo poo came out like a week later and that sunk that and the Russia report while damning didn't have enough fire and was way to drawn out and complex to attract attention. anyway outside being pretty sure poo poo will only get worse for trump. i have no idea what will happen now.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

Yep.

Can extremely not see what trump could loving possibly do to improve his lot politically at this time. Anyone?

Edited for emphasis.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 16, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Otteration posted:

Yep.

Can extremely not see what trump could do to improve his lot politically at this time. Anyone?

I mean since literally the day he was elected Trump has never had to improve his lot politically. Nothing he says or do will eliminate his base. He wins unless people actively get out to vote and loses if they do. Nothing will change that and the only real deciding factor is if people convince themselves not to vote for Warren/Biden/Sanders/Obama's Head On Clinton's Body.

The major reason to impeach Trump is because he is doing irreparable damage every day he's president and that has been getting significantly worse over the past three weeks, to the point where waiting another year could be a genuine disaster especially if the scandals continue and Trump starts lashing out more.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

School lunch debt is a phrase that could only exist under capitalism. Let’s create a new financial instrument called baby bottle debt ensuring that all babies have the food they need to survive - and learn a hard lesson about fiscal responsibility in the process!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I mean since literally the day he was elected Trump has never had to improve his lot politically. Nothing he says or do will eliminate his base. He wins unless people actively get out to vote and loses if they do. Nothing will change that and the only real deciding factor is if people convince themselves not to vote for Warren/Biden/Sanders/Obama's Head On Clinton's Body.

The major reason to impeach Trump is because he is doing irreparable damage every day he's president and that has been getting significantly worse over the past three weeks, to the point where waiting another year could be a genuine disaster especially if the scandals continue and Trump starts lashing out more.

Not sure his base will help him much anymore, given that, as you point out, "The major reason to impeach Trump is because he is doing irreparable damage every day he's president and that has been getting significantly worse over the past three weeks, to the point where waiting another year could be a genuine disaster especially if the scandals continue and Trump starts lashing out more."

I'd like to hear that the poo poo smear's base is coming around to our side, but then again, why do they matter?

(Short term, anyway, for trumps sake.)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Oops, predicting a new page tax before I sleep:

(This is my current happy face, btw.)

From the imgur thread, "Homeless grumpy cat is found during a house inspection and gets Adopted. Hates every moment of it."

Thread w/more grumpy taxes: https://imgur.com/gallery/Hc94w

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 16, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I feel like it's worth pointing out that Congress could pass a new article of impeachment basically every week until November 2020 and not run out of material. Not sure if that'd just confuse and therefore anger the electorate, but, like, there just that much fuckin' crime and AFAIK nothing in the constitution says they only get one shot.

Otteration posted:

Are you happy now, Trump supporters?
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 14, 2019
"President Trump isn’t the first American leader to turn his back on foreign friends who were counting on U.S. assistance: President Dwight D. Eisenhower did it in Hungary in 1956; President John F. Kennedy in Cuba in 1961; and President Gerald Ford in South Vietnam in 1975. But no previous chief executive has ever sold out the United States’ allies as nonchalantly and unnecessarily as Trump has done with the Syrian Kurds.

At least with Eisenhower, Kennedy and Ford, there was a good reason they failed to come to the aid of freedom fighters: Doing so would have embroiled the United States in costly conflicts. Trump and his apologists would like to pretend that’s also the case today — that Trump pulled U.S. troops out of northern Syria to avoid a war with Turkey. But there is scant chance that Turkish troops would have invaded northern Syria if U.S. troops were standing in the way. That is why President Recep Tayyip Erdogan asked Trump to move the U.S. forces — and Trump, for reasons that remain mysterious, obliged. (Trump himself admitted in 2015 that “I have a little conflict of interest” because of two Trump Towers in Istanbul.)"

Wait, this is in their Op-Ed section but it's not bad. Help! I'm doubting thread doctrine :ohdear:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

School lunch debt is a phrase that could only exist under capitalism. Let’s create a new financial instrument called baby bottle debt ensuring that all babies have the food they need to survive - and learn a hard lesson about fiscal responsibility in the process!

see, i am more flummoxed that it was nine hundred loving dollars and who the gently caress cares state government, just take that on the chin what the gently caress

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Given today's performance, Nancy might try to whip people into obeying, honestly

You are saying extremely stupid things FYI

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

I feel like it's worth pointing out that Congress could pass a new article of impeachment basically every week until November 2020 and not run out of material. Not sure if that'd just confuse and therefore anger the electorate, but, like, there just that much fuckin' crime and AFAIK nothing in the constitution says they only get one shot.

Yep, said it before, but Congress legally could have (and should have) impeached it for its spray tan from day one.

Munkeymon posted:

Wait, this is in their Op-Ed section but it's not bad. Help! I'm doubting thread doctrine :ohdear:

Pick and choose, choose and pick. Thus goes propoganda politics. :)