Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

julian assflange posted:

Leeds Dad, in general.

There used to be lots of cool leeds posters who are now gone

Bring back Luvd too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

sebzilla posted:

Did you or will you ever live it down?

I don't have any good reputation to lose

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TelekineticBear! posted:

Bring back Luvd too

I have a degree from Leeds uni and im still here

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TelekineticBear! posted:

Bring back Luvd too

Luvd is gone, forever searching for his dad

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

sebzilla posted:

Did you or will you ever live it down?
He'll never recover from this.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There used to be a Scottish guy that supported Hamilton Academic who was pretty funny but had to stop posting because his girlfriend wouldn't let him or something.

He made a funny youtube video pretending to be an American Liverpool supporter and I remember having a good laugh at it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

frankenfreak posted:

He'll never recover from this.

gently caress yes that is the joke I was failing to make :negative:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

There used to be a Scottish guy that supported Hamilton Academic who was pretty funny but had to stop posting because his girlfriend wouldn't let him or something.

He made a funny youtube video pretending to be an American Liverpool supporter and I remember having a good laugh at it.

Wasn’t that Rus

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

:russbus:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t believe that’s still a smiley

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

didn't he take the gf to el clasico and she made him leave at halftime?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

he had tickets and still had to watch it in a bar across the street

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Rus was the best poster on this forum

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Did he ever go halfway up Kilimanjaro?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Emmanuel Eboue getting advice from the North Korean coach

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Flayer posted:

Emmanuel Eboue getting advice from the North Korean coach

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Some Deadpsin Shithead posted:

A team with Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent, and Jordan Morris should have no problem dispatching the drat Canadians, let alone getting comprehensively beaten by a 2–0 scoreline that if anything flatters the USMNT.

LOL

https://deadspin.com/the-usmnt-is-an-absolute-joke-and-its-all-u-s-soccers-1839098747

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

julian assflange posted:

Leeds Dad, in general.

his banning order should be up by now, right?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

this guy fucks for sure

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Not sure why you think this belongs here, Canada is loving awful and everything in that article is true.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Who the gently caress are Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent, and Jordan Morris? The smugness and superiority from the fan of a team that has never won anything that matters is repugnant

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

Who the gently caress are Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent, and Jordan Morris? The smugness and superiority from the fan of a team that has never won anything that matters is repugnant

Finally you've found the right thread

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Did someone ask for some ADVANCED FUCKEN STATS?

Forget about DBZoT, get out of here with your BC%OPxGA$FwIW bullshit. I give you the ESPN FC LUCK INDEX brought to you by GEICO. Save 15% or more on your Car Insurance

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...at-it-should-be

Worldwide Leader in creating loving statistics for everything posted:

ESPN and the team led by Dr. Thomas Curran, at the London School of Economics, compile the Luck Index, to examine how the Premier League would be if luck were not a factor through this season. And our latest update shows that Liverpool's lead would in fact be slashed in half if they weren't so lucky.

Liverpool were headed for a surprise 1-1 draw against Leicester at Anfield before, five minutes into added time, Sadio Mane fell to the deck after contact from Marc Albrighton. Penalty! James Milner converted with virtually the last kick of the game -- one point turned into three with seconds remaining. Lucky? Plenty of people would say so. Even though there was contact, Mane's theatrics earned the penalty.

Manchester City are two points worse off than they should be after referee Michael Oliver failed to give the champions a penalty against Tottenham earlier in the season. One point that should have been three.

If those decisions were reversed, Liverpool lose two points and City gain two, reducing the gap between first and second to four points.
Maybe they should just call this ”It's a Funny Ol’ Game” Index. They also have a ”What If VAR didn't Exist” fanfic/league table.

Next up in hypothetical historical fiction, the WW2 Luck Index ”But what if Hitler had WON the War?”

On the other hand, I do appreciate this article providing confirmation bias that United were actually even more poo poo last year than they appeared.

Man United big winners in ESPN Luck Index

Obligatory - do you get a trophy for that?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It's funny how in other sports statistics can help us understand who is a good or bad player but in soccer they are basically only useful for identifying trash/American journalists.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

BWV posted:

It's funny how in other sports statistics can help us understand who is a good or bad player but in soccer they are basically only useful for identifying trash/American journalists.

Which other sports? Are they more effective with games like basketball and ice hockey? Trying to think of games more comparable to football pace wise. People often trot out NFL/Baseball and welp

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Basketball while free flowing also has fairly discrete possessions that end in only a handful of outcomes so it's halfway between baseball and soccer. Analytics in basketball mostly does a good job both internally and in the media to enhance understanding of who is doing valuable things that don't show up in traditional stat sheets and who is not. like most analytics they often match up with anecdotal/eye-test/experiential understanding of who is valuable anyway, but in some cases they help bring attention to someone who might be doing more good/harm than we expected. There are situations when it's presented without context but for the most part I think it has really helped. Hockey is probably a more accurate comparable but I don't know much about that outside of some more advanced possession stats.

anyway, my comment was more about how so many terrible soccer articles that get posted here and that I come across on American blogs usually just lean heavily on trash statistics and graphs to say something obvious like the team who scores lots of goals is really good or that the team who lost 3-0 isn't that bad when you consider how poor their finishing was. those stats dont really highlight anything you wouldn't naturally gather for actually watching the game like everyone else.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

BWV posted:

Basketball while free flowing also has fairly discrete possessions that end in only a handful of outcomes so it's halfway between baseball and soccer. Analytics in basketball mostly does a good job both internally and in the media to enhance understanding of who is doing valuable things that don't show up in traditional stat sheets and who is not. like most analytics they often match up with anecdotal/eye-test/experiential understanding of who is valuable anyway, but in some cases they help bring attention to someone who might be doing more good/harm than we expected. There are situations when it's presented without context but for the most part I think it has really helped. Hockey is probably a more accurate comparable but I don't know much about that outside of some more advanced possession stats.

anyway, my comment was more about how so many terrible soccer articles that get posted here and that I come across on American blogs usually just lean heavily on trash statistics and graphs to say something obvious like the team who scores lots of goals is really good or that the team who lost 3-0 isn't that bad when you consider how poor their finishing was. those stats dont really highlight anything you wouldn't naturally gather for actually watching the game like everyone else.

You're missing one of these

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BWV posted:

There's money in pointing out the obvious in (relatively) objective terms. People who blog or tweet stuff that sounds "obvious if you watched the game" are ending up being hired to provide their analysis of raw data to football clubs, and the people there who didn't and can't be bothered to watch many games at all.

Using their analysis on specific games and "proving the obvious" demonstrates the validity of a statistical approach, which can then be applied to thousands of games without having to watch any of them (here's why City were good, and here's who else might be good along the same lines but playing/managing in the Dutch second division). Although to what degree different journalists are doing it as advertising or because it's fashionable or because they just love numbers who can say.

This has been your McDonalds drive through window, may I take your order?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Big Huski Boi posted:

Not sure why you think this belongs here, Canada is loving awful and everything in that article is true.

cry harder lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Poonior Toilett posted:

cry harder lmao

Turn on your monitor

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Poonior Toilett posted:

cry harder lmao

I’m glad you’re enjoying your moment but I still don’t get black IPAs

Literally Lewis Hamilton