Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why does the man on the imperial fists supplement look so furtive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
He's always concerned about Iron Warriors showing up and ruining his recital

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

JBP posted:

Why does the man on the imperial fists supplement look so furtive?

He realized he's Woody Harrelson.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He looks like he farted during the sword Jamboree or whatever it is.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Getting a bit further along on this guy. I mixed some warp lightning green into some dragon bronze and used it to drybrush over the scythe. I thought it worked pretty well, especially with the nalakh oxide.

Also doing a bit of hombrew for the contest I'm entering him into. Tell me what you guys think of this, whether the power is too much, and about where you'd price him. I'm thinking around 80-85 points. Alternately, let me know if you think I should change him up further from a weirdboy.

quote:

Uzgrak Deffcalla
M: 5", WS: 3+, BS: 5+, S: 5, T: 4, W: 5, A: 3, Ld: 6, Sv: 6+
Uzgrak is a single model armed with a Weirdboy Staff
Weapon
Weirdboy Staff

Abilities
'Ere We Go, Mob Rule, Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!

Waaagh! Energy

One Foot in da Grave an' Kickin'
When Uzgrak Deffcalla takes wounds from Perils of the Warp, roll a D6. On a 5+ that wound is not lost. You cannot make a Dok's Tools roll for this model if you do so.

Psyker
This model can manifest one psychic power in each friendly Psychic phase, and attempt to defy one psychic power in each enemy Psychic phase. It knows the Smite and Rise, Ya Gitz Powers.

Faction Keywords: Ork, Deathskulls
Keywords: Character, Infantry, Psyker, Weirdboy, Uzgrak Deffcalla

Rise, Ya Gitz
Green Waaagh! energy rises from the ground and covers the bodies of fallen orks. It covers over the wounds, filling in the gaps where bullets ripped and chainswords tore. The faces of the corpses writhed and twisted into hideous grins as they rose to fight again.

Rise, Ya Gitz has a warp charge value of 8. If manifested, choose a Troops or Elites unit of ten units or less that was destroyed within 18" in the previous turn. It is immediately restored to full strength and placed where it was removed from the board. Any previous modifiers to the unit's statline are removed. It can immediately move as though it were in the Movement phase. If the unit is still alive at the end of this turn, it is immediately slain again. A unit can only be affected by this power once per game.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
He looks like he’d trick other orks into drinking daemon blood and invading medieval worlds then blow up his own world then die and have his skull eaten by an elf.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Badablack posted:

He looks like he’d trick other orks into drinking daemon blood and invading medieval worlds then blow up his own world then die and have his skull eaten by an elf.

Yeah he looks like he'd meet with success in all of his endeavours.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fists supplement preview is up. They have indeed received +1 damage against vehicles and buildings in devastator doctrine which is alright. Better than my RG superpower (although maybe that's debatable it's been hauling rear end in my last few games).

This looks very tasty as well:

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Imperial Fists feel like the chapter to go with if you're souping or insist on playing OG marines. The only weapons that benefit from both the chapter tactic and the doctrine are Stalker Bolt Rifles and Heavy Bolters, the former of which isn't throwing enough shots and the latter of which is essentially unavailable to Primaris. Running out a big block of Devastators and Centurions is definitely going to give most armies fits, but it's also a very one-trick army. Unless there's a sleeper hit of a relic or strategem they have nowhere near the shenanigans Ultramarines or Iron Hands. There is also the matter of the doctrine bonus having literally zero effect on Tyranids and most of the Tau line since battlesuits aren't vehicles, which is what's kept Tankbustas off the table since the Ork book came out.

Fortunately exploding 6s on bolters is super good, and you can just lean on that. I'm also happy the Crimson Fists are getting reprinted here, if only to be more explicit in how they can use the new strategems.

It's a little frustrating that we're back to Fists having rules for a part of the game that doesn't currently exist. At launch the ignore cover rule was terrible because there were so few units that made extra benefit of cover, now they have extra stuff to ruin buildings that don't exist in the rules either. Hopefully it's a sign we'll be getting more interesting rules for that kind of stuff soon from GW, or that people will push on ITC to incorporate it in their magic building rules.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Fists supplement preview is up. They have indeed received +1 damage against vehicles and buildings in devastator doctrine which is alright. Better than my RG superpower (although maybe that's debatable it's been hauling rear end in my last few games).

This looks very tasty as well:

It's unchanged from Vigilus, but they re-did Indomitable in a way that sorta shoots my plans in the rear end. It's going to make my Centurions a bit more expensive to protect on turn 1.

Indomitable now gives permanent Transhuman Physiology to my Warlord, rather than cover for all infantry units within 6"

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
[quote="GW" post=""""]
The Crimson Fists share many of the traits of their parent Chapter and receive additional background and rules in Codex Supplement: Imperial Fists. The book also includes a datasheet for their Chapter Master, Pedro Kantor.
[/quote]

Crimson Fists are in; looks like we'll have to wait for the next Psychic Awakening book for new Black Templar rules.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
A French 40k forum is claiming that this year's army boxes are:

4 AOS:
Nighthaunt, Skavens, Stormcast, Goblins
6 40k:
T'au, Drukhari, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Chaos, Tyranids

at €145 each.

Plus Start Collecting boxes for Vanguard SM & CSM

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is this as loving bad as I think it is?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Safety Factor posted:

No.

It could have been 3CP (though that may have made it more obvious as to why you shouldn't ever use it - so perhaps I've just defeated my own argument).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

That’s... not great. It’s an army-wide buff for a turn so it’s not terrible, but considering it’s once-only 1CP would be more appropriate. An additional -1AP isn’t all that scary considering you’re already talking -2 for heavy bolters.

Then again there’s a ton of strats that are weirdly costed so who knows.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Praetorian's Wrath is not bad mathematically if you built your army for high volume of low strength shots and are playing something with good armor saves and no or limited invulnerable saves, like another marine army. It is unquestionably terrible to utilize as a player; requiring your opponent to roll two sets of saves for one weapon activation was irritating for Storm of Fire and it's bordering on rude here. Taking both (Storm of Fire is off hits, Praetorian's is off wounds) requires up to three sets of armor saves for one twin-linked heavy bolter volley.

nite_moogle fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 16, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
How long before these go out of stock? Seems like 12 heavy bolter shots from a single model would be entertaining.

I wonder if Heavy plasma incinerators are viable with Fists. They basically get Weapons from the Dark Age for free under the Devastator doctrine, and nothing will ever get an armour save against them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Safety Factor posted:

I've noticed the same strat is in the other supplements under different names. The Iron Hand version is Engine Purge. It's pretty bad, since your heavy weapons are already rocking a -1 AP for being in Devastator as it is, and most heavies have really solid AP in the first place. An AP -6 Multi-Melta isn't actually accomplishing much, ya know?

That said, with the Imperial Fists and the benefit they get to Heavy Bolters through Siege Masters for the extra hits on '6s, this is probably the least bad version of it. Flooding the board with Heavy Bolters and getting an army-wide 1-in-6 AP -3s? That might go if you build for it. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 16, 2019

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Is there any possible scenario where a model could have effectively a 0+ save, which is the first instance where -6 would not immediately negate their armor? Every time I proc a hit with monstrous rending claws and tell someone the AP I always get a look of surprise. It’s such a weird number (not that I’m complaining).

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

xtothez posted:

How long before these go out of stock? Seems like 12 heavy bolter shots from a single model would be entertaining.
These are a hot candidate to either get a points hike in CA or lose their <CHAPTER> keyword in the spring FAQ in a manner similar to how the Scorpius lost the Whirlwind keyword, imo. They're absolutely nuts for a Fists army at 76 points for a quad heavy bolter and two gunners.

I think Heavy Plasma Incinerators fundamentally suffer from not having two shots. The situations where they win out over the rapid fire variant are too narrow, and +1 damage benefits shot volume over shot quality.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PierreTheMime posted:

Is there any possible scenario where a model could have effectively a 0+ save, which is the first instance where -6 would not immediately negate their armor? Every time I proc a hit with monstrous rending claws and tell someone the AP I always get a look of surprise. It’s such a weird number (not that I’m complaining).

Iron Hand Terminators, Centurions, or Eliminators in cover with the Psysteel Armor Technomancy power cast on them would effectively be 0+ against shooting. Can't think of anything that would get it against MRCs in melee, though. :shrug:

nite_moogle posted:

I think Heavy Plasma Incinerators fundamentally suffer from not having two shots. The situations where they win out over the rapid fire variant are too narrow, and +1 damage benefits shot volume over shot quality.

Yeah, I keep wanting to use 'em as Iron Hands because you could move and shoot overcharged without blowing up and S9 let's you wound pretty much anything on at least a 3+...but the number of shots is always too low. Going from AP -4 to AP -5 in Devastator only barely helps. If they got a flat damage boost the way Stalkers do over regular Bolt Rifles, that might work. But as it is, I think your best use for Hellblasters is as Ultras in Tactical with the standard Plasma Incinerator and a Captain nearby. Double shots at 30" with S8 AP -5 D2 re-rolling 1's is probably the sweet spot.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Ogryn with slabshields can get a 0+ in cover with the take cover stratagem and the +1 save psychic power active.

A -6 melee attack is kind of silly though since you can’t go lower than a 2+ in close combat.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Heavy plasma vs rapid fire plasma in case is a big choice, because the rapid fire plasma doesn't get the +1 damage. You're trading two shots at S8 AP-4 D2 within 15" for one shot S9 AP-5 D3 up to 36" in Devastator doctrine. That's close to a wash against anything T8, and outright better against most targets turn 1 when the nunber of shots is probably the same anyway.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Strobe posted:

Heavy plasma vs rapid fire plasma in case is a big choice, because the rapid fire plasma doesn't get the +1 damage. You're trading two shots at S8 AP-4 D2 within 15" for one shot S9 AP-5 D3 up to 36" in Devastator doctrine. That's close to a wash against anything T8, and outright better against most targets turn 1 when the nunber of shots is probably the same anyway.

As well as the lower range, rapid fire also has double the chance of dying when overcharging compared to heavy so that 4 vs 3 damage is at a price.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Anyone finding they can't attach artifacts or relics or whatever in bscribe now that they added all the narrative campaign crap?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Anyone finding they can't attach artifacts or relics or whatever in bscribe now that they added all the narrative campaign crap?

You have to pick a Warlord first

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

You have to pick a Warlord first

Yes, but the artifacts aren't showing up like they used to.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yes, but the artifacts aren't showing up like they used to.

That's what I meant. In order to get the relics to show up, you must first select a Warlord.

If you have a Warlord selected and still aren't seeing them anywhere it may need more troubleshooting.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

That's what I meant. In order to get the relics to show up, you must first select a Warlord.

If you have a Warlord selected and still aren't seeing them anywhere it may need more troubleshooting.

Yes. The latter. Was just seeing if there was an error with the rollout. Maybe just my stuff is fucky.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So just getting back into the hobby after a few years away and noticed The WarStore has closed.

What are the best alternatives in the US for discounted GW now?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Majin posted:

So just getting back into the hobby after a few years away and noticed The WarStore has closed.

What are the best alternatives in the US for discounted GW now?

Do you want to know what happened to the war store?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Sure?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2017/12/sex-offenders-hired-through-church-program-allegedly-stole-from-southold-employer/

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao oh

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Yikes!!!

That’s uh.. unfortunate..

Question still stands tho - any discount retailers who aren’t harboring sex offenders? $608 retail for a complete air paint set is totally not above board.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Why would you buy all the paints?

It doesn't make any sense.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Just an example, but still? I paint more than one army and I’ve got tons of stuff that’s been sitting I want to get back to. Biggest pet peeve is needing a color for mixing and having to wait.

Obviously I would be buying models and box sets as well.

I’m sensing some resistance here.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Majin posted:

Just an example, but still? I paint more than one army and I’ve got tons of stuff that’s been sitting I want to get back to. Biggest pet peeve is needing a color for mixing and having to wait.

Obviously I would be buying models and box sets as well.

I’m sensing some resistance here.

For one, don't buy every paint, there will be a ton of colors that you'll never use. For models I think I've heard good things about miniature market, but if you've got a local store they're likely discounting, and getting stuff locally is always good.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.michtoy.com/ is great for paints if you're not looking for the GW brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't know where the hell you live Booley but my local never discounts poo poo. I still buy stuff from him but the only thing he might discount is his poo poo ton of Privateer Press junk.

Some people like to buy All The Paints and IDGI. I have 4 40k armies and WW2 Joes and Jerrys in multiple scales, AND I have an airbrush so I have some duplicate colors among my collection. Even then I have less than 150 model paint colors*. I haven't bought a NEW color for 2 or 3 years.

*does not include crappy craft paints, primers or rattle cans.