Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What are the chances of the expelled Tory MPs voting for this deal?

e: According to wikipedia, the first recorded example of the antisemitic blood libel in England was in 1144, proving that Jeremy Corbyn is a time traveller.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably depends on them individually but I'd be surprised if they want to give johnson the satisfaction.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Khan is such a loving useless melt

It's not enough to not be actively doing dumb evil Boris poo poo, he needs to actually try and do good things as well. God bless the hopper fare it's super logical but if you aren't someone that gets 2 buses to work or school he's materially done nothing. And now he launches this housing revolution bollocks when he barely even tweeted about it even as a sexy new mayor with clout.

Throwing XR under the bus like he's thrown every other left-wing idea under the bus, oval office wants to be Prime Minister so he can keep not doing anything but at at a higher rank. Obviously gonna vote for him again but hosed if I'm gonna knock on doors for him again.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

What are the chances of the expelled Tory MPs voting for this deal?

I reckon it’s possible of the ones who are not now Lib Dem’s some or all of them might. On the other hand they’ve really got nothing to lose voting against just to say gently caress you to Joris.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Is there anything actually better about the backstop on the new deal? As far as I can tell, it's just worse, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's a lot better if you're sinn fein :v:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

wocobob posted:

Is there anything actually better about the backstop on the new deal? As far as I can tell, it's just worse, right?

It allows smuggling on wide scale.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so what's this about a midnight deadline about the Ireland border? What does that mean?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

so what's this about a midnight deadline about the Ireland border? What does that mean?

They wont get it on paper in time for the procedure to leave by the 31st.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

happyhippy posted:

They wont get it on paper in time for the procedure to leave by the 31st.

so what's the end result there?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

So is the new 'avoid sending the extension letter" plan to have a deal on the boil that takes just too much time to process so the clock ticks over?

They certainly can't expect this deal to get accepted, passed, and ratified.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

WhatEvil posted:

Also non-pol but thread-adjacent news:

The Internet Archive has just had 2500 DOS games added, the biggest such update since 2015.

code:
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games?and[]=emulator_start%3A*iafix*&sin=&sort=-publicdate
E: You'll have to copy and paste the link because SA doesn't like the [] in the middle there.

Oh wow gently caress there's so much stuff I've never seen before and so much stuff from my childhood thanks for this it's pure gold for me, literally made my day

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Munin posted:

So is the new 'avoid sending the extension letter" plan to have a deal on the boil that takes just too much time to process so the clock ticks over?

That's what tonight's midnight deadline is for afaik. Both the EU and UK parliament want to gently caress up Joris Bonson, and get any cumming plans out of the way.

If there's no deal submitted tonight by 12pm, then they're closing the door to negotiations and BoJo has to send the letter.

E: any plan submitted after today won't have time to be read through and ratified at the next EUparl meeting, which is why they're setting the deadline.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 15, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Munin posted:

Sounds like it's a way to justify the extension to the Tory base going into an election. Boris can claim to be on the cusp of an acceptable deal and just needs a majority to deliver it.

Of course should that parliamentary majority materialise then I'm sure something will magically go wrong with EU negotiations and no deal is back on the table for his ERG chums.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's what tonight's midnight deadline is for afaik. Both the EU and UK parliament want to gently caress up Joris Bonson, and get any cumming plans out of the way.

If there's no deal submitted tonight by 12pm, then they're closing the door to negotiations and BoJo has to send the letter.

E: any plan submitted after today won't have time to be read through and ratified at the next EUparl meeting, which is why they're setting the deadline.

Well he better have a stormer of a next *checks watch* four minutes if he wants to avoid a ditch :v:

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
We seem so close to him being finished but I wouldn't put it past Johnson to try and rules-lawyer the sending of the letter and trying to get it delivered by bicycle courier or something.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
If you want something you send to reliably disappear use MyHermes imo.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

he's going to have someone run like Pheidippides from Calais to Brussels to hand it in, or something like that

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HauntedRobot posted:

We seem so close to him being finished but I wouldn't put it past Johnson to try and rules-lawyer the sending of the letter and trying to get it delivered by bicycle courier or something.
"Out of respect to the absolutely sterling work of those chaps at Extinction Rebellion, and Greta Thunberg who might I point out would be jolly legal if she lived here, i have decided to deliver the letter in a carbon neutral fashion by having Michael Gove dragged there by horses with the letter in his mouth."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

If you want something you send to reliably disappear use MyHermes imo.

lol big truth in this post

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HMM

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1183613484183015425?s=19

This could yet be a Good Day™.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Hi folks,

I know there's some tech folks here, and also some people who have good ideas about fostering and maintaining environments conducive to diversity and inclusivity, so:

I'm doing a thing for Hacktoberfest where I'm asking people to submit experiences and ideas relating to diversity here: https://tinyurl.com/diversity-handbook

The readme at that link explains things better than I'm doing here, but really I'm just trying to crowdsource things that work and things that don't so we can create a resource for all the people I speak to who say "we know diversity is good for individual people, teams, and the larger organisations, but we don't know how to 'do' diversity"

The idea is to keep this going long-term, and make it less failed project than the slack group I set up last year. It turns out doing things in public is actually more useful than what turned into a private clubhouse where nobody talks (it was fun to get a load of lovely looks from the almost-exclusively white male attendees at the conference I presented at, though).

If you could, please submit, and/or tell me things I've hosed up already because I bet there's loads, it took me a few hours to remember to add pronouns to the contributors list, for example. Please share with people you think might be interested, like, subscribe, click the bell, all that poo poo.

If there's anyone here who would like to do this but doesn't know how github works, ping me and I'll help you get started. If you sign up to Hacktoberfest and do 4 submissions (to almost any project on github), you also get a free tshirt, and this year it looks nice and cyberpunk/retrowave if that's your kind of thing.

Thanks for looking <3

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Vitamin P posted:

What's led you to that galactic brain take? Seems real dumb.

i'm going off all the infiltration and rape and spying and entrapment the cops did to previous activist groups using identities they stole from dead children.

that was a little too controversial in the end so this needed a softer approach. convincing some middle class people they can "send a powerful message" by allowing themselves to be arrested seems to fit that. the protesters get to feel like they're "doing something" and you get a list of names and KAs from people who aren't used to dealing with the police and will give up anything to go home, with minimal effort on your part. once you've developed a sufficiently detailed intelligence profile of XR and you've given their occupy stunts time to harden the public against them, you stop playing nice and start cracking heads. which is what is happening now. with the added bonus that you're actively improving and tweaking your policing methods for the next round of protests. it's pretty basic subversion, surprised people fell for it tbh.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao you know how there was that news the UK would stop arming Turkey?

Well the actual news is we'll stop giving licences to sell arms to Turkey going forward and this won't affect the £1 billion worth of arms already licenced to be sold to Turkey that's been agreed over the past five years.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

whereas the government and the filth had to turn to MI5 and career criminals to smash the miners' strike in the 80s in the end because those lads had a strong undergirding ideology, community support, and a unifying set of goals and objectives which made the union extremely difficult to penetrate and subvert.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao you know how there was that news the UK would stop arming Turkey?

Well the actual news is we'll stop giving licences to sell arms to Turkey going forward and this won't affect the £1 billion worth of arms already licenced to be sold to Turkey that's been agreed over the past five years.

even then we'll just route poo poo to reliable client states who will probably sell some stuff to the turks and we'll get kickbacks that way

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

even then we'll just route poo poo to reliable client states who will probably sell some stuff to the turks and we'll get kickbacks that way

If Liz Truss is involved, it won't even be that complicated. They'll simply ship it to an airstrip without apparently noticing that it just happens to be in Turkey.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Jo Swinson on BBC breakfast saying that a 'people's vote' has been Lib Dem policy for 3 years.

Haven't they spent that entire time calling Corbyn a secret brexiteer for having that policy? Am I being gaslit by Jo Swinson?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Jo Swinson on BBC breakfast saying that a 'people's vote' has been Lib Dem policy for 3 years.

Haven't they spent that entire time calling Corbyn a secret brexiteer for having that policy? Am I being gaslit by Jo Swinson?

Labours only sorta had that policy for a year, and only fully since the summer.

You're still being gaslit though, they're still insisting Corbyn is a secret brexiteer who wants no deal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

And also a people's vote is.m no longer their policy so lmao

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Was Boris able to get his homework in by last nights deadline do we know?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I went past another room where GMB was on, I was there for literally 20 seconds and heard Piers Morgan say "this person identifies as broccoli", so yeah, his firing into the sun can't come soon enough.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I wonder what excuse Good Morning Britain are going to use for keeping him on after pretending to care about this. Probably something about free speech and nothing to do with how it's caused record numbers of people to Engage with their Brand

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chucat posted:

I went past another room where GMB was on, I was there for literally 20 seconds and heard Piers Morgan say "this person identifies as broccoli", so yeah, his firing into the sun can't come soon enough.

A finger on the monkey's paw curls, and Piers Morgan becomes the editor of the Sun

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But by saying it's on the go and only needs more time, the EU have removed any way for the oval office to blame them for a No Deal exit.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Angepain posted:

I wonder what excuse Good Morning Britain are going to use for keeping him on after pretending to care about this. Probably something about free speech and nothing to do with how it's caused record numbers of people to Engage with their Brand

I’m gonna say they’ll either just ignore it outright outside of a few throwaway comments from Susana OR they’ll just have piers whine and claim the poll was ‘hacked’ by snowflake activists

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38ID9WRSsk
:yum:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan is on board with this for the attention and to manufacture something for him to complain about. He's a publicity hound above all else, and his one apparent skill is to say and do things that get people yelling at him. He's a professional troll and he's paid very handsomely for it. And, surprise surprise, a person who gets their giggles trolling people is a lovely person with lovely opinions.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Braggart posted:

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan is on board with this for the attention and to manufacture something for him to complain about. He's a publicity hound above all else, and his one apparent skill is to say and do things that get people yelling at him. He's a professional troll and he's paid very handsomely for it. And, surprise surprise, a person who gets their giggles trolling people is a lovely person with lovely opinions.

He's trying to fill the void left by Clarkson where your opinion of him is entirely based on your politics rather than what he's done.

Best approach is to say he's a wanker to others and then move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

And also a people's vote is.m no longer their policy so lmao

Yup, their policy now is unequivocal revocation even though they had also been calling for a referendum on EU membership in the first place. Previously they had been calling for a people's vote while saying they would just ignore if leave won again. Putting the democrat in liberal democrats.