Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone else was drunk too

Bad snype so here's another terrible dailymail story for your pleasure:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7577279/Familys-basement-flooded-BLOOD-bones-meat-locker-door-started-leaking.html

Family's basement is flooded with BLOOD, bones and animal fat after a meat locker next door started leaking - but father claims company won't help them clean up the mess

"An Iowan family experienced a moment out of a horror film when their basement became filled with animal fat, bones and blood from the meat locker next door to their home.

Nick Lestina and his family have lived next door to the Dahl's Custom Meat Locker in Bagley, Iowa, for the last ten years and have had few issues up until recently.

The father claims that the meat locker's ownership changed in the last year.

'They haven't reached out at all. In fact, they haven't taken any accountability for it,' Lestina explained to WHO-TV.

'They say it's not their fault and told me 'good luck.' If I want to do anything about it, it's on my dime and my schedule.' "

cinni has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They could simply collect it and use it to make delicious stocks and soup bases. Turn your blood and bone problems into your blood and bone opportunities!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Busket Posket posted:

:woop:The Tamam Shud man is getting exhumed:woop:

One of those who invested years of their lives investigating the mystery of the Somerton Man, Professor Derek Abbott, has a theory about who he is.

And in a bizarre twist of fate, he married a woman, Rachel Egan, who he believes is the Somerton Man’s granddaughter.

Ms Egan told Australian Story he thought the professor was a “nerd” who showed an unusual interest in her ears and teeth, when she first met him at a Brisbane restaurant.

“He wanted to look at my ears and my teeth. He was also after my DNA,” Ms Egan says. “It’s probably the first request I’ve had from a man to do that.”

It'll be interesting if they find anything, but I don't know that his theory accounts for the other weird stuff around the case. It turning out to just be an affair turning south would be weird. I was always on the side that it was just some spy games stuff. There's a good theory that it was a hit cleaning up a leaker in Australian naval intelligence or some other foreigh spy contact. It explains all the effort taken to make him unidentifiable, digitalis poisoning matches with his apparent death and was in vogue for killing spies at the time supposedly, it covers some of the odd occurrences after the fact, and it lines up well with a timeline.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cinni posted:

Never gonna stop reading the ridiculous dailymail and sharing the absurd headlines and dubious stories because they are often entertaining. I don't think this thread is requiring comprehensive footnotes on everything. Either don't read it and never hear about it, or read it and take it for what its worth as human entertainment, or research the story yourself for more information if you must know the absolute truth about the kind of weird puff pieces and horrible tragicomedies they put out. I am not your curator, buddy.

Plus its a good lesson in not believing everything you read or giving so much trust to only certain kinds of media. Its ok to enjoy a story simply for its ourageousness.

The daily mail are literal Nazis. They built their brand on supporting Hitler in WWII. The truth didn't matter to them, the brand did. It's genuinely a problem. The more clicks they get the more money they get. Do not give Hitler money.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

for all we know, the Somerton Man case is both spy shenanigans and an affair

just like James Bond! :v:

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown posted:

The daily mail are literal Nazis. They built their brand on supporting Hitler in WWII. The truth didn't matter to them, the brand did. It's genuinely a problem. The more clicks they get the more money they get. Do not give Hitler money.

Ok buddy I'll ask my dead former holocaust survivor grandma if its ok with her. Plus if I post them here, then you don't have to give them clicks yourself, so really it is helping the cause.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cinni posted:

Ok buddy I'll ask my dead former holocaust survivor grandma if its ok with her. Plus if I post them here, then you don't have to give them clicks yourself, so really it is helping the cause.

You're not the only person who lost people to those fuckers and supporting them is not good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cinni posted:

Get over yourself dude. It was a legit complaint and every following post was an example of much more quality sources.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fine, I'll drop it. I'll keep that in the weird article thread moreso, because drat I miss Weekly World News.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

cinni posted:

Fine, I'll drop it. I'll keep that in the weird article thread moreso, because drat I miss Weekly World News.

If you wouldn't MAGA, Build The Wall, Send 'em Home, then you shouldn't be sharing the Daily Mail. They aren't some cute Weekly World News thing, they legit stoke hate and my country is the worse for it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SatansOnion posted:

for all we know, the Somerton Man case is both spy shenanigans and an affair

just like James Bond! :v:

I think there's two facts that are almost certainly true: he was involved in intelligence work and he was having or had an affair with "Jestyn".

Whether those two things are related is an open question, but the answer is probably yes.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

cinni posted:

We interrupt this pedo broadcast to bring you breaking horrific news from the daily mail:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7575595/Family-lived-Dutch-cellar-nine-years-discovered.html

Father and six adult children who lived in Dutch farmhouse cellar for NINE YEARS waiting for the 'end of times' are discovered after one escapes and asks for help in nearby bar

Well, they didn't really live in the cellar all the time, but the farm was super isolated and surrounded by trees so no one could see in or out. And there are conflicting reports whether the 'father' is really the father. But close enough!

"Dutch police have found a father and six 'adult children' living in the cellar of an isolated farmhouse waiting for the 'end of times'.

Officials found a secret staircase behind a cupboard leading down to the basement after they were called to the secluded property in the village of Ruinerwold in the northern province of Drenthe.

There they found a man lying in a bed and six adults aged between 16 and 25. Some of those freed 'had no idea that other people existed'.

Local media said the family were found after a 25-year-old entered a nearby pub in a confused state on Sunday, drank five beers and then asked for help, saying he had not been outside for nine years.

Police arrested a 58-year-old man at the scene for failing to cooperate with the investigation, but he was not the father.

Local news station RTV Drenthe, which first reported the story, said the family 'have been living in a basement for years, waiting for the 'end of times'.'

Drenthe police said: 'All scenarios are still open. Our research is in full swing and we cannot share more information at this time.' The location of the mother is unknown, but officials told RTV it's possible she's 'buried' on the farm.

'They lived an isolated lifestyle,' he said, adding that they had been living on the homestead for the past nine years and several of the children 'had not been taken up in the birthing register'.

The owner of the bar, Chris Westerbeek, told RTVDrenthe he had spoken to the 25-year-old man who told him he had 'run away and needed help. Then we called the police.'

He said the man, whose beard was 'dirty' and hair unkempt, said that he had been inside for nine years and that he wanted to end the way his family were living. "

Some more info from reliable Belgian newspapers:
The land was owned by someone else, who brought in supplies for the family (necessary, since the father has been bedridden with a stroke for the last 3 years), this person is also arrested and not cooperating with the police. He was known locally as 'the Austrian' because he spoke German. It seems like the landowner had a conflict with the 25y old, which may have stopped supplies from arriving. That's problaby why the oldest was going to the outside world to look for help. The family was found in a separate room, only accessible through a staircase hidden behind a cupboard, they are all between 18 and 25. There were security cameras on the property. People in the neighbourhood assumed it was a drug plantation.

The 25y old had started visiting the pub, it was on his third visit that the police have been called. On his first visit he seemed very impressed by the 'flashing discolights and general atmosphere'. He claims never to have gone to school (homeschooling is quite common with conservative dutch christians i think). The 25y old was looking for help, but didn't know where to start, didn't have ID (mandatory for all adults in the Netherlands), so nobody could help him. One of the men in the bar offered him a job. The pub owner claims the 25y old spoke in a child-like manner (there's no mention of him speaking German, so I'd assume he spoke Dutch).

According to the 25y old 'daylight was evil', he also kept referring to 'Het zware geloof', which translates more or less to a 'faith that's heavy to bear'.

Also note: Meppel lies within the 'Dutch bible belt', where you will regularly find ultraconservative christians

A less reliable newspaper has started reporting that the 25y old has online profiles (Facebook, LinkedIn) set up or reactivated in June this year, and that he has posted about starting a job in a company linked to the personal business of the German-speaking guy who has been arrested. He has no friends on facebook and posts about nature, the climate strikes and Greta Thunberg.

kanonvandekempen has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Oct 16, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The most unnerving part of that is how easy it is to get a job.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Azathoth posted:

This reminds me of a podcaster, I think the Crime in Sports guys, who said that no one eager to coach Little League should be allowed to do so, and it should only be coached by hungover dads who had to be talked into it.

It's one of the truest things they've ever said, yeah.

Also jesus christ I wasn't aware Dogtooth was a documentary format.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

cinni posted:

Did you seriously try to argue that it's okay for you to provide Nazis with advertising money because your grandma was a holocaust survivor because of wow with that kind of reach you should be in the NBA

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

cinni posted:

They publish online so just give them clicks instead. http://weeklyworldnews.com/

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

kanonvandekempen posted:

Some more info from reliable Belgian newspapers:
The land was owned by someone else, who brought in supplies for the family (necessary, since the father has been bedridden with a stroke for the last 3 years), this person is also arrested and not cooperating with the police. He was known locally as 'the Austrian' because he spoke German. It seems like the landowner had a conflict with the 25y old, which may have stopped supplies from arriving. That's problaby why the oldest was going to the outside world to look for help. The family was found in a separate room, only accessible through a staircase hidden behind a cupboard, they are all between 18 and 25. There were security cameras on the property. People in the neighbourhood assumed it was a drug plantation.

The 25y old had started visiting the pub, it was on his third visit that the police have been called. On his first visit he seemed very impressed by the 'flashing discolights and general atmosphere'. He claims never to have gone to school (homeschooling is quite common with conservative dutch christians i think). The 25y old was looking for help, but didn't know where to start, didn't have ID (mandatory for all adults in the Netherlands), so nobody could help him. One of the men in the bar offered him a job. The pub owner claims the 25y old spoke in a child-like manner (there's no mention of him speaking German, so I'd assume he spoke Dutch).

According to the 25y old 'daylight was evil', he also kept referring to 'Het zware geloof', which translates more or less to a 'faith that's heavy to bear'.

Also note: Meppel lies within the 'Dutch bible belt', where you will regularly find ultraconservative christians

A less reliable newspaper has started reporting that the 25y old has online profiles (Facebook, LinkedIn) set up or reactivated in June this year, and that he has posted about starting a job in a company linked to the personal business of the German-speaking guy who has been arrested. He has no friends on facebook and posts about nature, the climate strikes and Greta Thunberg.

Thank you for the updates! Living in the US Bible Belt, I started thinking about what would happen if something similar happened here, then realized there are already several mysterious farms and compounds that are socially written off as “well they don’t bother nobody so we don’t bother them,” including a private bunker that exploded the other day.

With enough influence and amidst a don’t-ask-don’t-tell conservative religious context, there could be dozens of similar families around :tinfoil:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Speaking of the Bible Belt, enjoy how much you can get away with if you’re an oil executive:

According to a Union County Sheriff’s Office report, that night, a woman contacted UCSO to report him “running around the golf course naked and tackling” her in an attempt to strangle her.
Cooper returned to his residence to speak with the deputies, telling them that he had injected methamphetamine just prior to their arrival.
He resisted detainment and medical care, but after turning himself upside down in a deputy’s police cruiser, was loaded into a ProMed Ambulance...
...Cooper was originally charged with possession of instruments of crime because of his possession of syringes used to inject drugs. The residue found in the baggie in Cooper’s home was confirmed to be methamphetamine, prompting Union County prosecutors to amend the charge to reflect that the syringes were used to consume drugs.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

randy johnson
2 months ago
You noticed that Ariana Grande is a actress and knows cameras are all around her? Yet she chooses to lay on the floor like that. You also noticed that Ariana Grande now "sings" and dresses like a two dollar whore for attention. She wanted attention then and she wants it now.

never change, men on the internet, never change

e: wait, please change
"She was asking for it, even though he had total power over her career and she was underage" is the attitude that enables these men to do this kind of thing, and I suspect the power and adult vs child dynamic is why they prey on underage teens. It's a perfect illustration of a few of the points Mara Wilson made in the Cracked article posted on the previous page; she and her costar were goofing around and acting like teenagers, but instead of being with kids their age who don't have a hosed up power dynamic, they were at the very least being verbally and psychologically abused by Schneider, if not physically and sexually.

Busket Posket posted:

Speaking of the Bible Belt, enjoy how much you can get away with if you’re an oil executive:white man.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1184712470574878720

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Sorry if this got poster earlier and I missed it. A while back those Missing 411 stories were posted here and really caught my attention. I just found someone made a documentary on a few of those stories and its available on Youtube for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEA9-mEOZtA

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/unholy-act?utm_source=pocket-newtab

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

InediblePenguin posted:

Did you seriously try to argue that it's okay for you to provide Nazis with advertising money because your grandma was a holocaust survivor because of wow with that kind of reach you should be in the NBA

If your ancestors survived the Nazis, you're legally and morally obligated to repay them for their mercy.

RE: Bunker Family

The fact that the escapee went to the bar and got properly drunk before even asking for help is a nice detail. Can't say I wouldn't do the same.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

buddhist nudist posted:

If your ancestors survived the Nazis, you're legally and morally obligated to repay them for their mercy.

:staredog:

Repay the Nazis??

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wasabi the J posted:

Repay the Nazis??

"with death. also don't give ad money to the daily mail."-my late grandma and relations that grew up in death camps, as interpreted by me.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Wasabi the J posted:

Repay the Nazis??

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

SpooOoooOoOOOOOoooOOky

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Pro-rear end click. Pro rear end-click.

After urging Father Feit to be candid about the crime, the examiner recorded that “the subject in very deliberate and explicit words stated there will never be any evidence turning up in the future in this case.”

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_hyrDBWBA

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

2019 reg dates don't get to be sarcastic

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

2011 reg dates aren't allowed to be sarcastic either. :colbert:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lets just toss the whole thing out!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anyone who paid for an account doesn't get to be sarcastic.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

This is a good article, but it’s from 2005. I looked this case up to see if there had been any new developments and the DA mentioned in this article was defeated in a later election, and the new DA brought the guy to trial and secured a conviction. He’s serving life now.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Pirate Radar posted:

This is a good article, but it’s from 2005. I looked this case up to see if there had been any new developments and the DA mentioned in this article was defeated in a later election, and the new DA brought the guy to trial and secured a conviction. He’s serving life now.

Thank you!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I've read this thread through and through, but this (dumb, obviously clickbait listicle) actually had some I'd never heard of!

https://radaronline.com/photos/the-10-goriest-sickest-most-macabre-halloween-true-crimes/

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not my fault all you olds now have the brain diseases you used to post about in this thread.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buddhist nudist posted:

Not my fault all you olds now have the brain diseases you used to post about in this thread.

whatever you say trump lover

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

buddhist nudist posted:

You seem grumpy. You grumps? Wanna talk about it champ?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The center in New Mexico mentioned in the article about Irene Garza’s murder deserves a mention here. It’s not news but while I’d read some about the Catholic Church’s struggles with what to do with certain priests, I hadn’t read about this center in particular. A short version of what Wikipedia has to say about it:

Father Gerald Fitzgerald was a priest who realized there wasn’t really any avenue for rehabilitation of troubled priests. He started talking to people and collected support for a center to which such priests could be sent to receive aid. Rather than psychiatry he planned for spiritual healing and rehabilitation through Christ.

He opened his center with two kinds of priests in mind: alcoholics and those who had broken or might break the vow of celibacy by becoming involved with adult women. He was dismayed to find that he started to be sent pedophiles. He tried to reject them entirely, telling church superiors that they couldn’t be rehabilitated and that they should be defrocked instead, but nobody listened to him. This was back in the 50s and 60s.

At one point he even tried to get the church to buy a small Caribbean island and build a monastery where they could send the pedophiles to keep them away from children forever, but he got nowhere with it—I guess because that would be too official an acknowledgement of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

buddhist nudist posted:

lmao this is a devastating post