Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

I Before E posted:

Big fan of this week's Criterion Channel Double Feature

The Gore Gore Girls used to be on Netflix and it made even me go "Jeezus!" at a few parts.

I mean, Henny Youngman? Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Criterion Channel subscribers, check your inboxes. They are sending out :10bux: gift certificates to Criterion.com to celebrate six months of the Channel.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flash sale tomorrow at noon EST per an insider on Blu-ray.com Forums.

For newcomers, it's 50% off MSRP off all in-stock releases (so, nothing OOP, backordered, or on preorder). Haxan is coming out tomorrow on Blu-ray, too, which is 100% worth getting sight unseen.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

For newcomers, it's 50% off MSRP off all in-stock releases (so, nothing OOP, backordered, or on preorder). Haxan is coming out tomorrow on Blu-ray, too, which is 100% worth getting sight unseen.

YES

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

Flash sale on Blu-ray.com? Or on Criterion.com?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Flash sale on Blu-ray.com? Or on Criterion.com?

Criterion.com

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Flash sale is live. Think I'll be picking up Kwaidan and then one larger set. Trying to decide between Kiarostami's Koker Trilogy or the Pasolini Trilogy of Life.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Does the site tend to crash in the early moments? It's my first sale and I'm only trying to get a handful of films.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Will the Godzilla set be half off? (Site's currently down as I post this.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Will the Godzilla set be half off? (Site's currently down as I post this.)

The sale is only in-stock items and the Godzilla set won’t be out until the 27th, so I don’t think so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah cool. Means I don't have to refresh the Criterion page every ten seconds until it's up.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lumbermouth posted:

Does the site tend to crash in the early moments? It's my first sale and I'm only trying to get a handful of films.

I haven't seen it crash during a sale before.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pickin’ up Polyester.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Site is toast

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Site is no longer toast. After cashing in my saved up ccbucks, all I had to pay for Haxan was shipping fees.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

so i'm getting the two movies i've been waiting for a sale to get (Do the Right Thing and Hedwig) but i think i'm gonna fill out my order with some Japanese cinema. I'm gonna get Kwaidan because it's spooky season, and I picked out another Kurasawa (Ikuru) and Vengeance is Mine, but i think i want one more. I think I should get a Mizoguchi as well, which one should I get?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Polyester and Beyond the valley of the dolls

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

DC Murderverse posted:

so i'm getting the two movies i've been waiting for a sale to get (Do the Right Thing and Hedwig) but i think i'm gonna fill out my order with some Japanese cinema. I'm gonna get Kwaidan because it's spooky season, and I picked out another Kurasawa (Ikuru) and Vengeance is Mine, but i think i want one more. I think I should get a Mizoguchi as well, which one should I get?

Do you have House?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Cloks posted:

Do you have House?

yessir i do, it's dope as hell

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

DC Murderverse posted:

I’d say either Ugetsu or Sansho the Bailiff if you’re gonna go with Mizoguchi.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

VoodooXT posted:

I’d say either Ugetsu or Sansho the Bailiff if you’re gonna go with Mizoguchi.

he's the one major japanese director I don't already have something from. I've got Rashoman, I've got Tokyo Drifter, I've got Tokyo Story, I"ve got Death by Hanging, I've got Tampopo and House and Godzilla, i feel like that would fill a major gap in my ventures into Japanese film. I'll probably go with Ugetsu.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
My top Japanese pick would be Harakiri if you don't have that, though you are getting Kwaidan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Story from Chikamatsu is good too, though I think Ugetsu and Sansho the Bailiff are better.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Stink Billyums posted:

My top Japanese pick would be Harakiri if you don't have that, though you are getting Kwaidan.

hará kiri was actually in my cart but when i saw kwaidan i wanted that one more because it's october. Hara Kiri will probably be in the next one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost forgot I had a $50 cert from March (finally got the points payoff), plus one $10 Criterion Channel one, so, I'm going for...

3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (replacing my DVD edition if anyone's interested in it)
The Circus (replacing my DVD from 2000!)
Haxan
and...?

I keep wanting to pick up the Demy set, but it's gigantic because it's still dual format and I'm kind of hoping for a Blu-only reissue that doesn't take up as much room.

I will say that anyone who can afford it and is on the fence should absolutely pick up Ingmar Bergman's Cinema at the $150 sale price. Watching 40 of his films over a few months was extremely rewarding, especially since I had only seen four before. It's easily one of the best and most essential home video releases of all time.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

ah, so it's a ten dollar discount that I shall use to justify suddenly being able to afford the Godzilla set this month

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

drat, The Circus went into backorder right as I was checking out. Ended up getting The Koker Trilogy in its place.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
If anyone needs a nudge, the most wonderful Criterion blind buys I've bought have been All That Jazz, The Red Shoes, and Harakiri.

I was going to pick up the Qatsi trilogy today but it's out of stock. Right now I have Ikiru, Police Story, and Passion of Joan of Arc in my cart. I'm also considering The Makioka Sisters and Haxan.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Picked up:
Inland Sea
Watership Down

Need to actually start watching my growing backlog

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wizchine posted:

Picked up:
Inland Sea
Watership Down

Need to actually start watching my growing backlog

This and the looming November sale are all that’s prevented me from buying anything. I had Shallow Grave, Haxan, and Medium Cool in my cart but I still have like 15 things I haven’t watched from the last two sales, including the entire Tati set. Don’t Look Now had been gathering dust for two years until I finally watched it the other day.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He said he’s in the middle of watching the new Twin Peaks season! Someone get him an account and link him to the rewatch thread.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ruddiger posted:

He said he’s in the middle of watching the new Twin Peaks season! Someone get him an account and link him to the rewatch thread.

I'm seeing him at a talk tonight so I'll try

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Top Japanese pick is the Teshihagara/Kobo Abe set. Woman In The Dunes still rips.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Everytime one of these sales comes up, I'm so tempted to buy The Bad Sleep Well, but I keep holding out hope it'll get a bluray release one of these days...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

wyoming posted:

Everytime one of these sales comes up, I'm so tempted to buy The Bad Sleep Well, but I keep holding out hope it'll get a bluray release one of these days...

You can buy it and thus trigger the ironic blu ray announcement because that's exactly how the universe works.

I picked up Let the Sunshine In, Asphalt Jungle, and Silence of the Lambs. I was really, really tempted by The Lure. Anyone have any words on that? I was also tempted by Magnificent Ambersons, but something about studio edits irk me in the same way as Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster, which I still hope for a director's cut someday.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Having already seen and loved Wong Kar Wai’s In the Mood for Love and Chunking Express, what would be a good next step film to enjoy?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Having already seen and loved Wong Kar Wai’s In the Mood for Love and Chunking Express, what would be a good next step film to enjoy?

Fallen Angels is an obvious next step:

quote:

Originally conceived by Wong as the third story for 1994's Chungking Express, it was cut after he decided that it was complete without it. He instead decided to develop the story further into its own feature film and borrowed elements of Chungking Express, such as themes, locations and methods of filming. Wanting to also try to differentiate it from Chungking and to try something new, Wong decided along with cinematographer Christopher Doyle to shoot mainly at night and using extreme wide-angle lenses, keeping the camera as close to the talents as possible to give a detached effect from the world around them.

In an interview, Wong had this to say:

...To me, Chungking Express and Fallen Angels are one film that should be three hours long. I always think these two films should be seen together as a double bill. In fact, people asked me during an interview for Chungking Express: "You've made these two stories which have no relationship at all to each other, how can you connect them?" And I said, 'The main characters of Chungking Express are not Faye Wong or Takeshi Kaneshiro, but the city itself, the night and day of Hong Kong. Chungking Express and Fallen Angels together are the bright and dark of Hong Kong." I see the films as inter-reversible, the character of Faye Wong could be the character of Takeshi in Fallen Angels; Brigitte Lin in Chungking could be Leon Lai in Fallen Angels. All of their characters are inter-reversible. Also, in Chungking we were shooting from a very long distance with long lenses, but the characters seem close to us

2046 is a something of a spiritual (or otherwise?) sequel to In the Mood for Love, but I inexplicably still haven't seen it. Maybe the single oddest gap in my knowledge, given that I absolutely revere In the Mood for Love and especially Chungking Express, which I would say is one of my five favorite films.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Days of Being Wild, without question.

Then Fallen Angels, Happy Together, and As Tears Go By. Finish up with 2046 if you want.

Criminal Minded posted:

2046 is a something of a spiritual (or otherwise?) sequel to In the Mood for Love, but I inexplicably still haven't seen it. Maybe the single oddest gap in my knowledge, given that I absolutely revere In the Mood for Love and especially Chungking Express, which I would say is one of my five favorite films.

It's very average when compared to the half dozen masterpieces he's made.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1184467651357220864?s=20

Also, for Canadian goons, Unobstructed View is the new distributor of Criterion's releases there and is having a sale as well:
https://www.unobstructedview.com/criterion-flash-sale/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I blind bought Forty Guns after reading the description. I kinda like getting movies that take place in Arizona.