Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rich Evans? He's doing just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
No, dick lionheart, duh

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Poil posted:

I'm morbidly curious but know I will likely regret learning and really thankful no one has said it out loud.

I read some of the Reddit discussion:
Someone there knew the name of the son that died and if you Google the obituary they suggest a donation to the RAINN foundation in memory of the guy. I didn't want to look up more, but I think that says enough.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"No way it can be as bad as people say it is, I say, as I hover over the spoiler text and be immediately corrected after I google what that was."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just say it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They read goblins. There is no cure

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The new strip summoning ritual has reached its most dangerous phase.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

His (step?)son died of SIDS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh well that's sad.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Who What Now posted:

His (step?)son died of SIDS.

...At 24?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
No there's like four different things that happened.

Its all pretty hosed up and I'm going to spoiler it

His stepson raped an underage cousin four years ago and when it recently came out committed suicide. Also a new baby died of SIDS and some other relative had cancer.

Dude also went hard on the stepson also being a victim because he was autistic during the rambling audio thing he released to his patreon backers. And he's clearly in a terrible place since his wife also has cancer and they're being sued for a lot of money

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's loving hell

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
God, I just want stick figures to be good dads, what is this?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

e:f,b

Yeah, people being coy is just dragging it out.

His memorial page has things like "I am saddened by what has happened, and hopeful he is not in pain anymore." Being in pain implies a long illness or suicide. The 'what has happened' bit sound more like a sudden death than a long illness. https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/timonium-md/thor-macht-8878149

Six months ago he was arrested, accused of doing a bad thing. The sort of thing that might get you murdered in prison or drive you to suicide whether you were guilty or not. https://www.nbc12.com/2019/03/11/henrico-man-arrested-accused-having-sex-with-child/

There is no reason to hide it he succumbed to illness. There is no news article about him being murdered or dying in a car accident, so probably suicide.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Yikes.

Why are they being sued?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Not paying for art, I believe

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jersus chrrist,Rich better be okay tomorrow.

I'm rather thinking we'll get a cut to another group for the next strip

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Theres like a general webcomics thread right? If only Rich had never hosted Erfworld...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Nothing about what happened is Rich's responsibility. I don't know what their personal relationship was given they were on the same site for a while but presumably if they were at some point friends than this is probably a hard time for Rich as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm rather thinking we'll get a cut to another group for the next strip

And quite possibly a dump of the rest of the book.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
So, any guesses on how many strips 'till the "book ends" one?
I'm putting my bet* on 3, including the last.

*for absolutely nothing, redeemable everywhere

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gun Jam posted:

So, any guesses on how many strips 'till the "book ends" one?
I'm putting my bet* on 3, including the last.

*for absolutely nothing, redeemable everywhere

I'm gonna bet the next one is the end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

3 sounds about right but all in one update.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Shwqa posted:

I'm gonna bet the next one is the end.

I'll split the difference and say two.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Five :colbert:

edit:

trucutru posted:

They read goblins. There is no cure

gently caress you, this made me go check Goblins and it's loving worse than ever.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 16, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can't even get up the emotion to be disgusted or disturbed by Goblins any more. It's just... yup. That's Goblins.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I used to read Goblins out of morbid curiosity, and I just caught up with the last twenty or so strips.

What the gently caress is going on? Overall story or page by page action, I can't make head nor tail of it. What a truly awful comic.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sanford posted:

I used to read Goblins out of morbid curiosity, and I just caught up with the last twenty or so strips.

What the gently caress is going on? Overall story or page by page action, I can't make head nor tail of it. What a truly awful comic.

Abridged version: the main group of lumpy goblins has been fleeing from this evil Terminator paladin, and ran into a "dungeon crawl" for safety. They've been using the shittily-designed traps and gimmick puzzles to try and defeat this unstoppable plot device. Now, for seemingly no reason at all, said evil paladin has basically revealed to the goblins that he steals the souls of everyone he kills, and can use their alignments instead of his own. Which means the only reason he hasn't fallen as a paladin for the various evil acts he does on a daily basis is because he can somehow fool the god he serves by holding up a decoy lawful good soul. Like Belkar's lead plate joke but played serious and also way dumber.

If you're asking "how the gently caress does any of that work" then you've probably put more thought into it than the author.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's a seed of a good idea there, using "he steals souls and hides behind them" as the answer to a question, but that question shouldn't be "why is this paladin an evil dick".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fuego Fish posted:

Five :colbert:

edit:

gently caress you, this made me go check Goblins and it's loving worse than ever.

Don't blame me, you were already infected and will continue to read goblins to the bitter end.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In retrospect Belkar bringing in a lawyer to argue Miko is violating his privacy rights by Detect Eviling him raises some interesting questions. They did do away with that nonsense in 5e right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
BTW, I haven't read goblins in years, maybe I should check it out.

Last time I read there were a couple of mishappen blobs of flesh talking about some poo poo while looking straight into the "camera", as if trying to steal the reader's soul.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

In retrospect Belkar bringing in a lawyer to argue Miko is violating his privacy rights by Detect Eviling him raises some interesting questions. They did do away with that nonsense in 5e right?

4e did away with Detect Evil and the nine-point alignment grid (consolidating it down to a Lawful Good - Good - Unaligned - Evil - Chaotic Evil continuum).

5e brought the grid back, but now Detect Evil has been renamed Detect Good and Evil and explicitly only works to detect magical emanations of pure Good or Evil planar energy, rather than being able to detect the alignment of individuals. So like, it can detect a demon's evil aura, or identify a blessed chalice, but it can't tell you anything about an individual's alignment.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

BTW, I haven't read goblins in years, maybe I should check it out.

Last time I read there were a couple of mishappen blobs of flesh talking about some poo poo while looking straight into the "camera", as if trying to steal the reader's soul.

No, you're caught up

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Android Blues posted:

4e did away with Detect Evil and the nine-point alignment grid (consolidating it down to a Lawful Good - Good - Unaligned - Evil - Chaotic Evil continuum).

5e brought the grid back, but now Detect Evil has been renamed Detect Good and Evil and explicitly only works to detect magical emanations of pure Good or Evil planar energy, rather than being able to detect the alignment of individuals. So like, it can detect a demon's evil aura, or identify a blessed chalice, but it can't tell you anything about an individual's alignment.

Yeah, it can basically tell you if there's something celestial, fiendish or undead nearby, but no specific information beyond that.

So in the case of OotS, it wouldn't have been able to ping Belkar for being evil, but it would have picked up Malack being undead or a disguised Sabine being a fiend, but not what kind of undead/fiend they were, nor would it reveal Sabine's true identity.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That evil paladin has been around for at least 10 years, what the hell.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GimmickMan posted:

That evil paladin has been around for at least 10 years, what the hell.

To be fair, it's such a novel idea that he deserves the spotlight.

Next: a good Lich. (original idea, don't steal)

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
How did he steal the first soul without falling?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Nuclear War posted:

How did he steal the first soul without falling?

He stole one and then became a paladin I guess?

I like the gimmick of a paladin big bad that uses evil magic to steal souls that get burnt up to keep him/herself from falling. It's just in the entirely wrong comic to have a chance of being interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of the grand ideas behind Goblins is deconstructing the D&D alignment system, of which the evil paladin is the most prominent example. If you think that could only possibly be even stupider than rigid adherence to the system, you have a stronger sense of narrative than Goblins' author.

trucutru posted:

Next: a good Lich. (original idea, don't steal)

Bro, have you heard about this thing called Dungeons & Dragons? It's this fantasy role-playing game which contains approximately every single idea ever conceived somewhere in its recesses.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Baelnorn_lich