Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I’m 23 weeks and getting Braxton Hicks. I did not think that would start til much later, drat. At least it doesn’t hurt.

But will I ever poop normally again??!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

boquiabierta posted:

I’m 23 weeks and getting Braxton Hicks. I did not think that would start til much later, drat. At least it doesn’t hurt.

But will I ever poop normally again??!!

I started getting them around 20 weeks. Don’t worry, it’s normal!

Pooping will not be the same for a very, very long time, especially if you’re one of the unfortunate ones who end up with hemorrhoids.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Ahh hemorrhoids noooo. I should probably invest in some stool softener huh. I was taking Miralax irregularly for a little while but then I started to be able to poop pretty regularly on my own, with not-insignificant straining, so I stopped because I didn't want to get dependent on a laxative. But the straining is not good.

Met with an English-speaking doula who seems cool and we want to hire her so that's a big thing off our list. Besides all the common reasons for wanting a doula, my husband has only a 101 level of Spanish and I don't want him to have to try to advocate for me in the middle of labor so it will be a big relief to have her.

Starting to feel depressed again and am upping my anti-depressant, which I was warned I would have to do at some point because of the metabolic changes of pregnancy. I was hoping to be able to wean off towards the end though to avoid neonatal withdrawal but all the experts seem to think that's not a good idea. I'm very nervous about withdrawal because I also take a benzo and it just seems like a lot for the little one to come off of :( but trying to keep in mind that it's really super incredibly important to keep my depression and anxiety in check for the kiddo's sake too.

Still have not found out the genitalia. After the scare we had with the 20 week ultrasound I think I realized the baby's health matters more to me than the sex so that's good.

I'm 24 weeks today and cannot believe I've hit this first big viability milestone. This is going really fast.

Last night we hit another milestone: for the first time my husband could feel the movement I've been feeling for a few weeks now with his hand on my belly. It was really a lovely moment.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

boquiabierta posted:

Ahh hemorrhoids noooo. I should probably invest in some stool softener huh. I was taking Miralax irregularly for a little while but then I started to be able to poop pretty regularly on my own, with not-insignificant straining, so I stopped because I didn't want to get dependent on a laxative. But the straining is not good.

Met with an English-speaking doula who seems cool and we want to hire her so that's a big thing off our list. Besides all the common reasons for wanting a doula, my husband has only a 101 level of Spanish and I don't want him to have to try to advocate for me in the middle of labor so it will be a big relief to have her.

Starting to feel depressed again and am upping my anti-depressant, which I was warned I would have to do at some point because of the metabolic changes of pregnancy. I was hoping to be able to wean off towards the end though to avoid neonatal withdrawal but all the experts seem to think that's not a good idea. I'm very nervous about withdrawal because I also take a benzo and it just seems like a lot for the little one to come off of :( but trying to keep in mind that it's really super incredibly important to keep my depression and anxiety in check for the kiddo's sake too.

Still have not found out the genitalia. After the scare we had with the 20 week ultrasound I think I realized the baby's health matters more to me than the sex so that's good.

I'm 24 weeks today and cannot believe I've hit this first big viability milestone. This is going really fast.

Last night we hit another milestone: for the first time my husband could feel the movement I've been feeling for a few weeks now with his hand on my belly. It was really a lovely moment.

Congratulations on the doula, that’s going to make a huge difference to your peace of mind.

Good luck with the last leg of the journey. For what it’s worth I didn’t have massive poo problems, the hemorrhoids came after labour and didn’t stay for too long.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Oh I remembered a question I wanted to ask the group. Can you ever distinguish what the fetus is actually doing when you feel movement? Like I can feel a lot of movement but I have no idea if s/he is kicking, punching, somersaulting or what. Do the movements become more precise and less vague? At what point?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't remember quite when, but yeah, to a certain extent. I could definitely tell when he had the hiccups and when his feet were pushing against my ribs.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I was asked at every appointment after the halfway mark if I had Braxton Hicks contractions and I had no idea what they felt like so always said no. Turns out the sensation I thought was the baby rolling was actually Braxton Hicks.

Hiccups were distinguishable from kicks, but I had an anterior placenta so it was always guesswork on what was actually happening.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I could tell hiccups, when he was rolling, if he was sticking his butt out into me as opposed to other parts of his body, and if course when he head-butted my bladder.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I can’t quite tell exactly what she’s doing yet, but I’m almost 26 weeks. I can tell when she’s either kicking or punching, but can’t distinguish between the two. I can tell when she’s rolling around, though. I’m guessing (?) you can tell better what exactly they’re up to later in pregnancy.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I could tell mostly by position. My son had his butt in the right side of my ribcage for most of the third trimester so lots of kicks on the left, and some weaker fluttery punches further down. He also got hiccups every night starting between 9-10pm and this has persisted as an infant where he gets the hiccups whenever he laughs a lot.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

So, how’s everyone else’s pregnancies going?

I’m 25 weeks, feeling huge all of a sudden, and pretty sure I felt hiccups yesterday. Glucose challenge test next week and I’m freaking out that I’m going to have GDM and won’t be able to keep eating ice cream 😭

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 16, 2019

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

So, how’s everyone else’s pregnancies going?

I’m 25 weeks, feeling huge all of a sudden, and pretty sure I felt hiccups yesterday. Glucose challenge test next week and I’m freaking out that I’m going to have GDM and won’t be able to keep eating ice cream 😭

Glucose test wasn’t too bad, surprisingly. So many people had complained about the taste of the liquid and having to drink it fast. It didn’t taste that bad. You’ll be ok!

27 weeks today and feeling ginormous. I’ve been having stomach issues from what I assume is everything getting so squished in there. But, baby girl is happily beating me up inside, so all is well with her :3:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
If you aren’t having taste aversions or nausea, the glucose test really isn’t that bad.

Our good friends are 12 weeks along and I’m so excited for them. Our life experiences have been the same, just a year apart, and now that includes April babies!

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

We're expecting an April baby too! 13 weeks along today, and it'll be our first. I've had a thankfully mild first trimester with almost no morning sickness except feeling a little queasy for just one afternoon, but everyone we've told this thinks I'm some sort of unicorn (except my mother who also never got morning sickness). We had the NT ultrasound last week and got to see that they look like a tiny person already! :3: Hopefully I will still think they're ultra cute when they're out here gnawing on me and pooping everywhere, but only time will tell.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

To clarify, I am not worried about taking the test itself. From what I hear it tastes like kool-aid and I have a wicked sweet tooth already. I am worried about actually having gestational diabetes.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Did any of you notice a reduction in hard kicks once the baby turned head down? I think the baby turned head down on Monday and I’ve only gotten soft little punches down low since then.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Any advice on what to eat before my glucose challenge?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

boquiabierta posted:

Scrambled eggs

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

boquiabierta posted:

Doesnt really matter. I tanked up with protein when pregnant with my daughter, still failed, had GD that pregnancy. I assumed I'd have GD with my son too, ate a bowl of cereal as a final hurrah to carbs, passed with something ridic like 93.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Got to hear heartbeat today. Is good.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Ugh this is one of those days when I super hate being in Spain and miss the U.S. system of customer service-based care, even though I am 100% against healthcare being customer service in principle. A good bedside manner from everyone you interact with in healthcare makes a huge difference though and they really do not give a poo poo about attitude or tone here.

I did the glucose challenge (just tasted like overly sweet lemonade, honestly, it wasn't that bad at all) and I didn't have a bad reaction except that I got suuuper sleepy like a bad sugar crash without the high. But I don't have the result yet because my appointment with the doctor isn't til next week and apparently they WILL NOT just tell me the number. I just called for the result and got yelled at by a receptionist who definitely is not concerned with patient satisfaction scores. I got told that "this system of you calling us doesn't exist" and no doctor except my own, who is on vacation, can give me the result. At one point I mentioned I was a nurse and understood how the test worked and that actually seemed to make a difference because she then gave me the number of a midwife who will MAYBE be able to give me the result if I call tomorrow? I try not to pull the nurse card because it's obnoxious and in general I want to just be treated like a patient, but the few times I've brought it up here it really did seem to change their attitude and care so idk.

Here's hoping I passed, I can find out before the weekend, and don't need to do the 3 hour.

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 24, 2019

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
It seems really weird that they won't tell you the result given GD requires an immediate diet change and strict management. I hope in some roundabout stupid way their inaction is because you don't have GD and they're just being mindlessly bureaucratic about it.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

I know right? Like even if the one hour isn't diagnostic, I'd like to know what my number is so I can start making changes if needed. I've never been great about eating healthy and would need this fire under me to make healthy changes, and I don't want to wait a week.

The midwife number she gave me was a total clusterfuck, the midwife answered clearly thinking it was an internal call and was like you're not in my system, I can't even find you, no idea why they would give you this number and also I'm with a patient right now.

loving Spain.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Welp. Never did manage to find out my results over the phone. Went to my visit today to be told I failed by 5 points (145) and a fun specialized diet followed by the 3 hour glucose tolerance test is in my future. gently caress.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I think you're a nurse so you prob know this already, but usually if you barely fail the one hr test, you usually pass the 3 hr test. 1 hr not diagnostic, scoops up a lot of people who don't actually end up having GD. Sending good thoughts your way!! Hopefully you'll only need to do the modified diet thru the 3 hr testing.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Day one of the modified diet and I am not going to make it you guys, all I can think about is food, this is not enough to eat, I am so freaking hungry

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Why are they having you do the diet if you haven't done the three hour?

The one hour is screening and sends a lot of people that end up not having GD to the three hour. It's designed to be broad because it cannot miss anyone who actually has GD so it sends through a lot of people that end up not havingGD. That's by design.

The three hour is the diagnostic one. If you barely "failed" the screener why are they having you do diet changes before even taking the three hour?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

I don't quite understand it either. Mayo Clinic says it's important to eat and drink normally in the days leading up to the test. That makes sense to me because I'd think they'd want to know how my blood sugar behaves given my usual diet. But I also read that the results of the test are more reliable if your carb intake is controlled in the days before, so I don't really know. Anyone have any insight? Koivunen?

I don't think I'm going to follow this as strictly as I tried to today, though. Probably the most important thing is I just don't eat junk and try for as balanced a diet as possible. It can't be good to be this hungry.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
It’s the norm in Australia to do the 3 hour test for all women. I don’t remember having to do any dietary changes leading up to it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

boquiabierta posted:

I don't think I'm going to follow this as strictly as I tried to today, though. Probably the most important thing is I just don't eat junk and try for as balanced a diet as possible. It can't be good to be this hungry.

It doesn’t make sense to start the diet plan before the three hour test. If you follow the diet before the test and pass, was it from the diet, or was it because you would have passed anyway? And what would you do after, continue the diet or eat like you normally do?

Your plan of eating a balanced diet and laying off the junk food is a good one. You shouldn’t be denying yourself food and nutrients if you are genuinely hungry, you’re growing another human! As far as the test, if you eat normally and pass, great! If not, and you do have GD, at least you know it’s an accurate result, and it’s only temporary.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I tried to follow a diet plan in hopes I'd pass the 3hr since I just missed the 1hr cut off, borderline failed anyway, definitely had GD. As my pregnancy progressed, things I could eat at 28w without issue were spiking the gently caress out of my blood sugar at 35. Thanks you dickhead placenta.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Hi Megathread

So it turns out that my wife is pregnant! I would like to be a supportive father-to-be and I'd appreciate some advice on books and other resources for the newly expecting. What books helped you and yours understand the path ahead?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Robert Deadford posted:

Hi Megathread

So it turns out that my wife is pregnant! I would like to be a supportive father-to-be and I'd appreciate some advice on books and other resources for the newly expecting. What books helped you and yours understand the path ahead?

Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn. The revised edition with the smiling lady in a blue tank top:
https://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Ch...012176449&psc=1
I found a copy for $1.50 on Amazon. It’s got everything you need to know.

The app Ovia Pregnancy is kind of fun (and free). It tells you how your baby is developing that week and approximately how big it is.

Congrats! Being a parent is pretty amazing.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Congrats!

I mostly used the Ovia pregnancy app, although the Mayo Clinic guide to pregnancy was pretty ok.

I didn’t read it, but Expecting Better looks really good in hindsight. The same author has a baby book, Cribsheet, which is really data-minded, actively works to cut down on anxiety and decision paralysis, is non-judgy, and entertaining. I’d highly recommend Cribsheet towards late pregnancy.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I'm also a fan of the Mayo clinic book and Expecting Better, although I'm not actually pregnant yet (but we're having so much properly timed sex y'all). I just hang out here since the getting knocked up thread is dead.

On EB, I will say that a friend's wife who's finishing her residency as a laboratory vet didn't like how dismissive the author was of animal studies.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I literally based pretty much my entire approach to pregnancy and early days parenthood off humans just being another brand of mammal, having decided to have my baby while a vet student. Can't say its led me wrong yet.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I liked The Birth Partner, although it's pretty much just about labour.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

I highly recommend the Emily Oster books (Expecting Better and Cribsheet), and also a book I mentioned elsewhere in the thread called Like a Mother. That’s the only one I had my husband read.

What do you all think of Happiest Baby on the Block? Required reading or is it enough to learn about the 5 s’s online?

Lately I’ve been having pelvic pain. Hard to know where it is exactly. Sometimes I think it’s my vulva and sometimes I think it’s deeper. Nothing looks swollen or is sensitive to the touch. Seems mostly with movement and position changes. Could it be round ligaments? I thought that pain was usually more abdominal but I read it can extend deep into your groin.

Oh yeah the three hour glucose test sucked balls. The one hour solution was like lemonade, the three hour was like syrup and I felt like total garbage. Do not recommend, avoid if possible. (Haven’t gotten results yet)

Also I’m so loving tired and utterly sapped of energy and I’m just barely in the third trimester. Not sure if it’s physical/hormonal or possibly depression rearing its head again. How did you feel around week 29 w/r/t energy and mood?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

boquiabierta posted:

How did you feel around week 29 w/r/t energy and mood?

I had depression, but I didn't take anti-depressants the entire pregnancy because I was more concerned about the effect on the baby. A lot of my awfulness came from my blood pressure ramping up toward the end, but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. My energy was completely gone, but it was the best sleep I ever had in my life during the third trimester. I could sleep anywhere, anytime, and it was glorious (I've had insomnia since 2008 so it was a really great break from that)! My mood was OK. I wasn't a ray of sunshine, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Thanks for the recommendations, will check them out!