Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When Pyke is given as the example of a good support design, no, just no.

"What if we remade thresh but he could lantern himself from his own bad plays?"
Oh and he is also a viable solo laner against all reason and decency.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

no, just no

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

njsykora posted:

League 10th Anniversary stream is
- LEAGUE OF LEGENDS: ESPORTS MANAGER IS A GAME THAT IS COMING

aaaaaaaaaaaaaashhhhhhhhhiit

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah OK I'll grant that his kit is pretty drat good, he was absurd at release and still has problems even after a slew of nerfs. I just like the general philosophy behind the design

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Arabian Jesus posted:

Unironically this; being able to use conquerer makes playing in the top lane viable now

are you actually implying that garen wasnt a viable top laner before this patch cause lol

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Verviticus posted:

are you actually implying that garen wasnt a viable top laner before this patch cause lol

against real players? not really. winning as garen into a traditional conqueror top laner prior to this patch making him outright broken was impossible without being much, much better than them, because garen's kit is complete dogshit against conqueror and he couldn't make use of it himself (until they did).

he was okay into some tanks, which didn't exist because of conqueror on other top laners (and he was nowhere near as good as traditional top laners against tanks because hey guess what he couldn't run conqueror!), and just as bad as tanks into ranged top laners, except without the effectiveness from behind that most tanks bring when they have to give the enemy vlad or kennen 2k gold for free.

like if you're below...i dunno, maybe as high as diamond? you can win with almost literally anything, by being better than your opponents, but that's not really what people mean when they say 'viable'.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

el dingo posted:

Yeah OK I'll grant that his kit is pretty drat good, he was absurd at release and still has problems even after a slew of nerfs. I just like the general philosophy behind the design

I feel the same way about the first Mordekaiser rework. A+ for effort, D- for execution. It's not like botlane can't handle something outside the traditional mold. Pro games already have bizarre poo poo like Garen + Yuumi vs Sona + Tahm Kench.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

el dingo posted:

It’s not just how good it is, I think it’s just not a support kit with a bunch of nonsense bolted on to try to dissuade people from bringing him to a solo lane. He’s a CC bot, so they removed his ability to gain bonus heath to ensure he couldn’t be an overly effective tank. And they gave him absurd CDs to make his play too slow for soloing. Then they put the gold cut thing on his ultimate to incentivize always being with someone. The fact that all this failed to work to put him in a support role because he’s that drat good isn’t really the point.

It feels similar to how Morde was a solo laner except bizarrely had an exp share as a passive on one of his skills.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ungulateman posted:

against real players? not really. winning as garen into a traditional conqueror top laner prior to this patch making him outright broken was impossible without being much, much better than them, because garen's kit is complete dogshit against conqueror and he couldn't make use of it himself (until they did).

he was okay into some tanks, which didn't exist because of conqueror on other top laners (and he was nowhere near as good as traditional top laners against tanks because hey guess what he couldn't run conqueror!), and just as bad as tanks into ranged top laners, except without the effectiveness from behind that most tanks bring when they have to give the enemy vlad or kennen 2k gold for free.

like if you're below...i dunno, maybe as high as diamond? you can win with almost literally anything, by being better than your opponents, but that's not really what people mean when they say 'viable'.

are you trying to explain what high elo top lane is like to verv? anyway garen top had a decent pickrste and a >50 winrate in diamond+

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

anyway garen top had a decent pickrste and a >50 winrate in diamond+

okay but what about against a REAL player

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
As a _Gold IV_ support who dabbles in top,

Kled is bullshit

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Firebert posted:

The shooter reminds me a lot of R6:Siege, though very rough obviously
The netcode comment about Peaker’s Advantage was 100% a Siege burn.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

el dingo posted:

Kled is bullshit

truth

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaashhhhhhhhhiit

I feel like that is their most unique new product since everything kinda exists and the only other good manager is Football manager. So I am hyped for it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

I feel like that is their most unique new product since everything kinda exists and the only other good manager is Football manager. So I am hyped for it.

realistically their fighting game looks visually like sfv but it could occupy an entirely different niche given the rising thunder teams involvement, but otherwise i agree with this

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Boxman posted:

It’s not just how good it is, I think it’s just not a support kit with a bunch of nonsense bolted on to try to dissuade people from bringing him to a solo lane. He’s a CC bot, so they removed his ability to gain bonus heath to ensure he couldn’t be an overly effective tank. And they gave him absurd CDs to make his play too slow for soloing. Then they put the gold cut thing on his ultimate to incentivize always being with someone. The fact that all this failed to work to put him in a support role because he’s that drat good isn’t really the point.

It feels similar to how Morde was a solo laner except bizarrely had an exp share as a passive on one of his skills.

The only part of his kit that isn't particularly support like is the ult. The rest are all things that either fit in support or support adjacent plastyles. Literally all but one of the hooks in game are on support played champs, a diving aoe stun is pretty support like on several levels, his w is iffy but as a defensive move works out for support. They just gave him damage and assassin play patterns because he's an assassin support.

Morde was not meant to be a solo laner on that exp share, and trying to do so before they fixed the original update was hell. It took several patches of buffs and changes to put Morde back into solo lane reasonable.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They're doing what they did with League: taking an existing genre leader and redefining it in a way that makes it uniquely theirs. All their new games have obvious parallels with existing products, but with new mechanics and a signature art style that makes it unique enough to stand out.

Boxman posted:

Then they put the gold cut thing on his ultimate to incentivize always being with someone.

I see the gold cut thing brought up a lot in discussions about Pyke, but this wasn't the intention at all. Aside from the obvious reason (not wanting ADCs to go crosseyed because their support is "stealing" all their kills), the main reason Pyke has the gold share mechanic is to support his intended build path of pure Lethality items, something that's not normally feasible with a support's budget.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 16, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It is hilarious im Blizzards woest week riots like "heres hearthstone and diablo 3". Like i knot MTG Arena has taken off as the first real HS challenger but theres still room and while PoE exists nothing has quite hit the levels of Diablo 2 looting after Diablo 3 poisoned the well (Reaper of Souls was fantastic and if you never played beyond vanilla D3 i heavily recommend it) so theres room in the loot rpg too that people are still desperate for

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Did they say anything about the adventure game other than "we're doing it"? That's the thing I could conceivably be the most interested in out of all of this stuff.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

They're doing what they did with League: taking an existing genre leader and redefining it in a way that makes it uniquely theirs. All their new games have obvious parallels with existing products, but with new mechanics and a signature art style that makes it unique enough to stand out.

Don't know, it didn't look that unique to me. The shooter's abilities looked alright but it just seemed super slow paced and the graphics aren't unique either. Looks like a bad mod of tf2. It could be good, I mean it still looks unfinished. The fighting game we barely saw anything but since it has league characters I will try it at least.

Where is the rpg or diablo type game? I didn't watch the full stream but can't find anything about that. That would be interesting at least more than fps/fighting game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ulio posted:

Where is the rpg or diablo type game? I didn't watch the full stream but can't find anything about that. That would be interesting at least more than fps/fighting game.

they showed like three seconds of video about it, that's all I can find so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7BLtQHYY7g&t=156s

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 16, 2019

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
oops, nm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Looks like a bad mod of tf2.

I think this is where the difference of opinion lies. Broadly speaking, there's two main multiplayer subgenres of FPS: arcade (Overwatch, TF2) and tactical (CS:GO, all those loving Tom Clancy games). Arcade FPSes are focused on fast paced action where aiming and twitch skills are prioritized, while tactical FPSes are focused on team coordination, positioning, and resource usage (econ). Project A is 100% in the tactical FPS box: TTK is low as hell and the demonstrated powers seem to be focused on zone control more than movement or damage (ala CS:GO's grenades). The uniqueness comes from them merging the hero shooter idea Overwatch popularized with a tactical FPS backing, and it's that combo that has me interested, speaking as someone who's always enjoyed CS:GO's gameplay and (mostly) enjoyed my time spent with Overwatch.

They only showed off a few seconds of the ARPG, but it seemed pretty reminiscent of Marvel Heroes with how you control League champs instead of making a separate dude ala Diablo. Might give it a try, although ARPGs have never really been my cup of tea.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Oh god, please let it be league of legends marvel heroes. I still have a gaz sized hole in my heart.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

they showed like three seconds of video about it, that's all I can find so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7BLtQHYY7g&t=156s
I think we only saw those few seconds. They referred to it as an "adventure game", so I don't know whether it's actually going to be an ARPG, or just some cute kid-friendly stuff - that will conveniently be made to work on both desktop, mobile, and consoles.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

my beef with the adventure game is there is no content and those blitzcrank combos look like poo poo. giant startup animations you over commit to and they do not feel powerful to match

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Protip if you quit/lose a LoR match you still get 50xp (You get 100xp for a win) so if you're in a hurry to get a champion bundle or something on your reward timeline you can just chain quit AI matches.

I'm sure this will be fixed pretty quick

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They released the newest champion roadmap today. Looks like we're getting:
  • Senna
  • Unnamed Lunari marksman
  • An Ionian juggernaut who's probably just Akuma
  • Fiddlesticks VGU (which looks loving terrifying; they completely nailed the updated aesthetic)
  • Volibear VGU
  • A "whimsical new jungler"
  • An "edgy solo laner"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Man, the 10th anniversary hit at just the right time to maybe pull me back in. I switched from Underlords to TFT with a buddy and we were joking around about playing SR again and after the stream we banged out 3 games and had a blast. Here's hoping Nocturne is in the fighting game.

Edit: But I'm a Tekken player, I guess before this game comes out I should learn some SFV or an anime fighter

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 16, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vermain posted:

A "whimsical new jungler"
An "edgy solo laner"

We already have ivern and half the cast though

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nazzadan posted:

But I'm a Tekken player, I guess before this game comes out I should learn some SFV or an anime fighter

I'd hold off on too much prep work before they release hard details about the game. It's being made by the same people who made Rising Thunder - a fighter with MOBA-esque cooldowns instead of complex inputs - so it's a good bet that the League fighter will take a similar tack.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the fighting game looks rising thunder esque, but shares way more in common with sfv than tekken. that said, the 3 seconds of footage is not enough to really go off... it probably is not going to be an anime fighter and did not look 3d a la tekken or sc but aside from that we have no idea how it will play

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah and it seems quite a ways out, I wonder if it'll come out before or after the FPS. The "pause every time a hit connects" from the short clip of Darius stringing the Ahri looked very DBFZ without flying all over the screen. I think SFV has that as well, though.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah and it seems quite a ways out, I wonder if it'll come out before or after the FPS. The "pause every time a hit connects" from the short clip of Darius stringing the Ahri looked very DBFZ without flying all over the screen. I think SFV has that as well, though.

it is just kind of the 2.5d schtick, the overall movement however was not quick enough to scan as an anime fighter to me so i think something closer to sfv is where i am at right now

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

pog boyfriend posted:

it is just kind of the 2.5d schtick, the overall movement however was not quick enough to scan as an anime fighter to me so i think something closer to sfv is where i am at right now

Yeah as of now I think this is the best guess. The only certainty is that the year this game launches it's going to buy it's way into Evo and piss the FCG the gently caress off.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How are you guys playing the card game already?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They said that they were gonna have more in 2020 for the fps so I imagine some sort of alpha at some point next year. The fighting game and the arpg are a long ways off.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Reality Sinner posted:

How are you guys playing the card game already?

as soon as they revealed it they put up a website to register for a pre-patch version of the game
https://playruneterra.com/en-us/

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

why do they need an adc support when glacial augment caitlyn already exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

If we're stretching definitions, wasn't Ashe played as a support for a little bit in double ADC kill lanes? I remember support kill lane Urgot waaaay back in the day too. But I guess Senna is designed from the ground up for it.