Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm very happy with my 30 inch MES. Last week I smoked 2 full size briskets, about 23 lbs of meat. Oh, and I threw in some beef short ribs.

I think the 40 at the time had a glass window. I had asked this thread and was recommended the 30 and am very happy with the purchase. It's still going strong and I have more than got my money's worth out of it 2-3 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007
Picked up my Pitt boss, a tri tip and a six pack of Marzen. I am loving excited.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Post pics of the result please

/edit: Also, recipe

Anticuchos de Corazon

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm very happy with my 30 inch MES. Last week I smoked 2 full size briskets, about 23 lbs of meat. Oh, and I threw in some beef short ribs.

I think the 40 at the time had a glass window. I had asked this thread and was recommended the 30 and am very happy with the purchase. It's still going strong and I have more than got my money's worth out of it 2-3 years later.

My 30 without window is still going strong 4 years in. Unsure of the replacement plan once it dies.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

All ready!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double post

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
That looks incredible.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been stopping my briskets around 190F and I think the result has been too dry. What are other people using and where are they measuring?

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've been stopping my briskets around 190F and I think the result has been too dry. What are other people using and where are they measuring?

I pull at 203, I thought that was the generally agreed up # for magical fat rendering? What temp are you cooking at to get to 190? I keep my smoker as close to 250 as possible, but I'm just trying to mimic what Franklin does.

For reference, here is the last brisket I did on my BGE and pulled right at 203. Sorry for poo poo pics.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Speaking of brisket, here's a winning video where Sous Vide Everything decided to sous vide an entire packer for 30 days at 130f. What could go wrong with cooking meat for 30 days in the danger zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4of3b7Xb4Rs

Spoiler - the meat was extremely spoiled

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you use a water pan? Temp ~225? What about crutching vs not? I don't inject either and haven't really had that issue before.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Canuckistan posted:

Speaking of brisket, here's a winning video where Sous Vide Everything decided to sous vide an entire packer for 30 days at 130f. What could go wrong with cooking meat for 30 days in the danger zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4of3b7Xb4Rs

Spoiler - the meat was extremely spoiled

I think that 131 is too low temp and that 132 is the magic number at like 4 hours for pasteurization. Anyway, doing eve and 132 for a month can't possible have worked anyway and I'm sure it would still end up being terrible and rotten/spoiled. Also lol at one of the youtube comments. "You'd better be careful of maggots!"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sterster posted:

I think that 131 is too low temp and that 132 is the magic number at like 4 hours for pasteurization. Anyway, doing eve and 132 for a month can't possible have worked anyway and I'm sure it would still end up being terrible and rotten/spoiled. Also lol at one of the youtube comments. "You'd better be careful of maggots!"

i would think the fat went rancid from being in the light and moisture more than the meat going itself going bad.

Still a stupid loving idea.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

toplitzin posted:

Double post

Dude this literally made my mouth water

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dude this literally made my mouth water

If it makes you feel better, this wasn't my best batch.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

toplitzin posted:

It does not. What's your method/time/temp?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

It does not. What's your method/time/temp?

toplitzin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

I cut the butter and extra sugar by about half, and thickend up the sauce real good.
I added one spoonful (less than 1/8c) of the pork drippings/fat/braise liquid to the sauce for a bit of flavor.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tev posted:

I pull at 203, I thought that was the generally agreed up # for magical fat rendering? What temp are you cooking at to get to 190? I keep my smoker as close to 250 as possible, but I'm just trying to mimic what Franklin does.

For reference, here is the last brisket I did on my BGE and pulled right at 203. Sorry for poo poo pics.

I've been using my Weber kettle with the Slow and Sear as well as experiments with the pizza oven. The first one in the pizza oven took something like 36 hours when I had it in the mid 200's. I think it had to do with differences of wall temperatures. That result was a little dry but surprisingly not so much. The kettle generally performs comparable to that first attempt in the pizza oven. I used a higher temperature on the second run and that was dry at 193F.

For the second run in the pizza oven, I did use a pan full of water. By the next morning, there actually was still some water left! I think the real problem was that some of the fuel probably burnt aggressively and the fire was able to see the meat. What I really want is something like a bread loaf pan that's twice as tall filled with water. That would make a good partition between any fire and meat. Aluminum foil works a little too well in the pizza oven and blocks whatever convection I get. I have pondered just, say, suspending a sheet of foil upright off the side of the pan the meat's on as a compromise, but I haven't tried it yet.

I think my most successful brisket was still over a decade ago in a really crappy offset smoker and it was a complete accident. I just remember it coming across as being too high a temperature, but I guess that would make sense if 203-205 is the way to go.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

toplitzin posted:

Thanks to you I am now forced to try this.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks to you I am now forced to try this.

Tweaks to FatMan's process:

JFC, you don't need all the fat and sugar he calls for.
Drain the braising liquid into a fat separator.
Add the defatted liquid to the sauce for the glaze.
Reduce until back to sauce consistency.
Add back to pan/bits and grill til glazey and delicious.

Note: I used a vinegar sauce on the last batch, it needed more body/sugar/thickening.

Edit: Basically this works best with a Memphis/KC style or SC mustard sauce as opposed to an Eastern Carolina Vinegar/Lexington Red sauce unless you plan on doing a lot of thickening, and even then, the flavor profile was somewhat lacking (to me. everyone else ate the poo poo out of it and loved it)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 17, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I try to do a BBQ treat for a group of friends, usually 10-12 guys, a few times a year. These pork belly burnt ends look like my next cook.

I wonder how much pork belly to get. I'm thinking 10 lbs? The look like they reduce down 50%, so that would be about 8 ozs of cooked burnt ends per person.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

I try to do a BBQ treat for a group of friends, usually 10-12 guys, a few times a year. These pork belly burnt ends look like my next cook.

I wonder how much pork belly to get. I'm thinking 10 lbs? The look like they reduce down 50%, so that would be about 8 ozs of cooked burnt ends per person.

I jsut buy the big rear end package of belly at Costco. Its already skinned and cut into ~1" thick strips so cubing it is fast and easy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It depends on what other food you have, but if the crew is a dozen BBQ-loving guys, I would figure more than half a pound each. Worst case, you have leftovers, which is amazing

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I agree. Go bigger for sure. Any reason to split up the braising into two pans? I guess the final glazing would be better with two pans.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

toplitzin posted:

Tweaks to FatMan's process:

JFC, you don't need all the fat and sugar he calls for.
Drain the braising liquid into a fat separator.
Add the defatted liquid to the sauce for the glaze.
Reduce until back to sauce consistency.
Add back to pan/bits and grill til glazey and delicious.

Note: I used a vinegar sauce on the last batch, it needed more body/sugar/thickening.

Edit: Basically this works best with a Memphis/KC style or SC mustard sauce as opposed to an Eastern Carolina Vinegar/Lexington Red sauce unless you plan on doing a lot of thickening, and even then, the flavor profile was somewhat lacking (to me. everyone else ate the poo poo out of it and loved it)

Thanks, about how long do you have to dick around with everything?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Canadian Thanksgiving has come and gone, with another successful smoked turkey that I forgot to take pics of.

Process since it gets asked every year:

Starting with a fresh (not frozen) 16lb turkey...

T-48hr: Salt the turkey (aka dry brine) under the skin and inside the cavity and put in the fridge.
T-6hr: Take the turkey out, throw some other spices/rub onto it. Note: Salt not needed.
T-6hr: put all the giblets in a pot of water to simmer for gravy stock.
T-5hr: Start the smoker (MES-40) at max temp (which is 275f) and used cherry wood this year, and put the turkey on it's stand (since it's got to be cooked vertically in the MES).
T-4hr: Put the turkey in the smoker.
T-1hr: Still relaxing with a beer because I use a remote temp probe (waiting for 165 in the thigh). It's about 155f now.
T-0.5hr: It's ready. Take it out, double check spot temps (180 in breast).
T-0.5hr: Make a roux with the smoked fat/drippings and add turkey stock above = gravy.
T-0: Eat and be a hero.

Remember: Turkey doesn't have a "stall" like pork or beef, so you go full temps.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My take on the gravy is to buy 4 to 6 turkey wings, roast them, chop a few places and simmer for a few hours. Strain through cheesecloth and refrigerate or freeze until needed. Then in the gravy pot, throw in a quarter cup of stock and a bit of drippings and reduce until its dry and brown. Then pour in the rest of the stock and thicken with roux from the rendered turkey fat. Don't forget the fond from the roasting pan! Season with salt, pepper and a bit of onion and garlic powder.

If the stock is done right the gravy comes out super rich and flavorful. And you get so much gelatine you can slice the gravy when it's cold!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

unknown posted:

Canadian Thanksgiving has come and gone, with another successful smoked turkey that I forgot to take pics of.

Process since it gets asked every year:

Starting with a fresh (not frozen) 16lb turkey...

Remember: Turkey doesn't have a "stall" like pork or beef, so you go full temps.

Spatchcock that fucker. Then you can split the bird in half between two shelves and be done quicker. You also get a nice spine that you can add to the stock. Also, I don't think you need to go under the skin if you're dry brining 48 hours out. That's lots of time to permeate the skin into the meat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks, about how long do you have to dick around with everything?

Watch the video. Like most smoked meats it's pretty hands off outside of the cook style changes and finishing process.

Dice meat
Rub meat
Smoke meat
Braise meat
(Make ) Sauce (and apply to) meat
Finish meat
Serve meat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

toplitzin posted:

Watch the video. Like most smoked meats it's pretty hands off outside of the cook style changes and finishing process.

Dice meat
Rub meat
Smoke meat
Braise meat
Finish meat
Serve meat.

Yeah, but I usually take cooking times on videos with a grain of salt and want first-hand experience.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Dice meat
Rub meat (overnight if you feel fancy, otherwise day of)
Smoke meat (2 hours)
Braise meat (2 hours)
(Make) Sauce (and apply to) meat
Finish meat (10-15m till sexy)
Serve meat.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

Spatchcock that fucker. Then you can split the bird in half between two shelves and be done quicker. You also get a nice spine that you can add to the stock. Also, I don't think you need to go under the skin if you're dry brining 48 hours out. That's lots of time to permeate the skin into the meat.

Eh, I don't like doing the spatchcock, as turkey doesn't get to be "classically presentable" and the turkey is too wide for a MES40 smoker. If I was doing in on the BBQ/grill, then spatchcock all the way.

I dry brine under the skin since I've found that loosening the skin helps dry it [skin] out in the fridge, since no one like rubber skin on the food!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

toplitzin posted:

Dice meat
Rub meat
Smoke meat
Braise meat
Finish meat
Serve meat.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

unknown posted:

Eh, I don't like doing the spatchcock, as turkey doesn't get to be "classically presentable" and the turkey is too wide for a MES40 smoker. If I was doing in on the BBQ/grill, then spatchcock all the way.

I dry brine under the skin since I've found that loosening the skin helps dry it [skin] out in the fridge, since no one like rubber skin on the food!

Have you tried baking powder in with your salt? I found it really crisped up the skin nicely.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

Have you tried baking powder in with your salt? I found it really crisped up the skin nicely.

Yeah I do it with wings often. Although it's really easy to overdo it (or not evenly distribute it) and get that weird flavour/texture. 48hrs in the fridge does it just as well I find - the air circulation does a pretty good job as well.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Haven't posted here in a while but here's an overnight brisket

After 5 years I've somehow managed to lose the charcoal ring for my 18.5" WSM, the latch on the inexplicably $50 aftermarket door needs to be replaced, the charcoal grate is rusting out, and the rubber probe gasket is getting pretty brittle. Debating whether to replace them or upgrade entirely. Upgrading is certainly more fun for Saturday afternoon internet researching.

Stubear St. Pierre fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 19, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Duh. Buy a new one, and then keep the old one for when you need MORE MEAT.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My wife and I went to Texas de Brazil for out anniversary, which is a great place (though heavy on salt...). Anyway, they had beef ribs there, and while they melted in your mouth, I couldn't help but think they tasted a little like a pot roast. More moist, but with a similar flavor profile. Is that more or less the case for how they'll taste? I'd been wanting to smoke some myself, but now I'm having doubts.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Never had that problem smoking beef ribs. The flavor should be more like a supremely tender ribeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife and I went to Texas de Brazil for out anniversary, which is a great place (though heavy on salt...). Anyway, they had beef ribs there, and while they melted in your mouth, I couldn't help but think they tasted a little like a pot roast. More moist, but with a similar flavor profile. Is that more or less the case for how they'll taste? I'd been wanting to smoke some myself, but now I'm having doubts.

The beef ribs at Texas de Brazil are good, but not really anything like a good smoked beef rib. It’s like comparing a smoked brisket and a Rosh Hashanah brisket. Both good, but not the same thing.