Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I haven't had a chance to play Standard constructed in paper because I got sick from pre-release and I'm still recovering. But the price of poo poo like fabled passage, once upon a time, etc. just really makes me feel like it'll depend on how well off the regulars at your LGS are to determine the local meta. That's always sort of been the case but Eldraine definitely feels like an escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
For a while the price of standard was way down. The biggest improvement was around BFZ when the Expeditions drove down singles prices and so much product was being opened. I feel like, as much as I love the Collector Boosters, that undermines the whole idea behind these ultra-premium cards as tools to help the game stay accessible while giving players like me who like the shiny things some new toys.

That said, it's still not nearly as bad as it's been in the past. There are a few $500+ outliers, but for the most part a $300ish average for a competitive deck isn't amazing but isn't too awful, with a lot of that being tied up in shocklands that you can use in Modern. Having a tier 1 deck is never going to be that cheap no matter what happens.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Argas posted:

I haven't had a chance to play Standard constructed in paper because I got sick from pre-release and I'm still recovering. But the price of poo poo like fabled passage, once upon a time, etc. just really makes me feel like it'll depend on how well off the regulars at your LGS are to determine the local meta. That's always sort of been the case but Eldraine definitely feels like an escalation.
Being an almost-strictly aggro player, I can't tell you if it is or not. I'm sure Caw Blade et al were expensive in their heydays as well. I recommend Unlucky Fried Kitten for your budget competition needs.
Or red something if you have a leftover deck from last season.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oko is nearly fifty bucks Canadian lol

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mr. Locke posted:

It’s still has a real chance of decking being a wincon since the ground tends to get gummed up by fat butts and removal is real strong so it’s hard to establish a real threat long enough to win a game. It doesn’t help that everyone’s starting to figure out that drafting good Aggro is rare and difficult in Eldraine so a lot of people are making decks intended to go over the top of each other instead of playing a balanced game of Magic.

That said, it’s better off then Arena because the removal is actually making it into the hands of the player. If you can make something like a Garenburg Paladin (probably the single most underrated common in the format currently- it’s probably the best green common after Witchstalker- Outmuscle has a terrible record in my experience about getting blown out by removal or adventure-based tricks in this formal) stick on the board and use your removal to clear the way, you can still close out a game pretty quick. Likewise, removal and equipment making it to human hands means you can actually MAKE an Aggro deck that works if it’s open, instead of Aggro just instantly falling apart to a turn 1 Secretkeeper that’s never gonna die.

Green is overwhelmingly the best draft color, since 3 of the best Commons for limited are green(curious pair, witch stalker and garenbrig paladin), and if you move into G/B, you can steamroll everyone with food synergy.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

One very sporty and active woman I was dating spotted some of my flatmate’s cards lying around the lounge and asked who played. We told her we all did and she later said to me “you’re so handsome, and you’re amazing in bed, but you play MAGIC?!” (Her exact words, no poo poo.) I laughed it off but she never slept with me again after that... which was okay as it turned out she was a bit of a racist so good riddance

i actually had sex with that same woman before you did, and she said all the same stuff about me but also added "better at magic and posting than the next dude i'm going to date"

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

You also get access to our lord and savior sporecap spider

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

i actually had sex with that same woman before you did, and she said all the same stuff about me but also added "better at magic and posting than the next dude i'm going to date"

There’s a good chance the guy your making fun of is a 9/11 first responder... just be careful.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Silhouette posted:

Green is overwhelmingly the best draft color, since 3 of the best Commons for limited are green(curious pair, witch stalker and garenbrig paladin), and if you move into G/B, you can steamroll everyone with food synergy.

I would rate Paladin and pair dramatically worse than witch stalker, which is admittedly one of the best commons. Outmuscle is better than both of those cards. I actually think rosethorn acolyte is better than pair and at least as good as Paladin

they’re still good cards and I think Green is the best color, or at least tied with Black

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If arena had modern I would play it 10x as much as I do now. Standard just loving sucks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

fadam posted:

There’s a good chance the guy your making fun of is a 9/11 first responder... just be careful.

...why is that relevant and why be careful?

Sickening posted:

If arena had modern I would play it 10x as much as I do now. Standard just loving sucks.

Hell yeah. I would love to have arena remember all my triggers for me because lord knows I forget them in paper. It would be a hideously expensive proposition to build a deck though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ilmucche posted:

...why is that relevant and why be careful?

it's an additional joke about stdh.txt :thejoke:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

little munchkin posted:

Probably true tbh

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’ve also had sex,

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Time posted:

I’ve also had sex,

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Wtf dude

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I search my library all the time :heysexy:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tibalt posted:

I don't know what the wife does on a Friday night and she doesn't know what I do.

How does Throne of Eldraine feel in paper/MTGO? The bots have made it pretty mill-centric and I'm wondering if it's the same with humans.

I got two Folio of Fancy (p1p3 and p3p4), two Didn't Say Please, an Overwhelmed Apprentice, three Merfolk Secretkeepers, and two Run Away Togethers so if nobody in the pod is drafting mill it is really really gross. Dropped one game out of four matches.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gilg posted:

Looking at the MagicFest 2020 schedule, I'm considering going to the one in Seattle. As an extremely casual player / spectator, how much is there to do at one of these if I'm not interested in participating in the Grand Prix?

Already answered, but you can do pick-up events for the duration, it's good to look at the schedule and figure what you want to do. Sadly CFB with their monopoly have wound back prize wall support and more interesting side events but you can draft cheaply. I was annoyed to find vendors didn't have full stock so I couldn't get some obscure cards for a modern brew and participate in those side events as I hoped in Utrecht at the weekend.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tubgoat posted:

Being an almost-strictly aggro player, I can't tell you if it is or not. I'm sure Caw Blade et al were expensive in their heydays as well. I recommend Unlucky Fried Kitten for your budget competition needs.
Or red something if you have a leftover deck from last season.

I imagine someone could track trends and Eldraine wouldn't be overly unusual but as a person who only started paper with M20 pre-release Eldraine just looks nuts. I imagine it'll balance out better next year as M21 comes out and we have multiple sets to draw from rather than us scrambling for/settling on the replacements/improvements Eldraine introduced as M19/Ixalan/Dom rotated out.

My complaint about costs is mostly about stuff like fabled passage, which can literally go in any deck, and gilded goose which is very useful with food while also being the most direct replacement for llanowar elves.

I got into paper with an Arcane Tempo deck that I've modded to keep it legal past rotation, but it was never great even before due to local meta. I made a more budget-friendly cavalcade deck that's been serving me better so far but, and I am definitely looking into going ovencat going forward.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Gilg posted:

Looking at the MagicFest 2020 schedule, I'm considering going to the one in Seattle. As an extremely casual player / spectator, how much is there to do at one of these if I'm not interested in participating in the Grand Prix?

I went to the last GP Seattle and didn’t touch the main event - instead I played a couple side events, checked out vendors and sold / bought cards, watched a couple of the panels they had (one was an artist panel where Rob Alexander painted for maybe an hour and a half and answered questions from the crowd), and watched a lot of assorted magic being played too

I would highly advise that you bring sandwiches / snacks / etc and a refillable water bottle because food and drinks are expensive at the convention centers.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BaronVonVaderham posted:

For a while the price of standard was way down. The biggest improvement was around BFZ when the Expeditions drove down singles prices and so much product was being opened. I feel like, as much as I love the Collector Boosters, that undermines the whole idea behind these ultra-premium cards as tools to help the game stay accessible while giving players like me who like the shiny things some new toys.

Uh, actually BFZ completely hosed the price of Standard by combining types duals to combine with fetchlands. Every deck was some 4c pile running 12+ Fetches and then probably also a playset of Baby Jace at like $70 a pop. The competitive decks of that era were no-poo poo $700 and the backlash online was immense.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Speaking of, flip jace still used anywhere? Used to be the hot new thing that showed up everywhere.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of, flip jace still used anywhere? Used to be the hot new thing that showed up everywhere.

He used to show up in Modern Humans when they were centered more around Collected Company but I don't think he sees play there anymore, while most other decks dropped him when they realized a Snapcaster Mage that has to live a turn to Snap just doesn't make the cut in Modern.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

fadam posted:

When/how did you guys break to people you’re dating that you play Magic?

Heh.

While you people were dating I was mastering the stack. And now you come to me for deck building advice?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

He's used in most blue EDH decks, and he popped up as a 4-of in a Goryo's Vengeance list that top 16'd the last StarCity Open.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23353&d=361001&f=MO

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Occasionally pops up in Grixis Death’s Shadow too. He was more of a thing in vintage but unsure if that’s still true.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Was there a promo of gilded goose somewhere? Trying to figure out why foils are dead even in price with non-foils.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PJOmega posted:

Was there a promo of gilded goose somewhere? Trying to figure out why foils are dead even in price with non-foils.

Its doesn't have legacy, modern, or EDH demand. Foils aren't going to bring much of a premium.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also people who want a chase version have the extended art copies from the collector packs, which also contain many copies of 'normal' foils too.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Anyone else getting weird latency issues in Arena? My internet is working fine but every game so far the client will just randomly freeze in between phases.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
It's not just you, or your internet or even your PC. The client is a piece of poo poo, we were just talking about it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

No argument there but this is a new thing and it hosed me out of 2 matches before I gave up for the night.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ :catstare: Good loving god, that's a new one! Worst it's done to me so far is quit the client as soon as I started looking for a game in limited, and then take longer to restart.

Honestly, as painful as it is to play a complete BO1 game, the memory leak is kind of a godsend. If it didn't become 100% unbearable after like 10 games, I might not ever get anything done. Good ol' WotC, always looking out for their customers.

Edit 2: The Arakdocats deck that Miguel Da Cruz Simões played in Mythic Championship V is loving nuts! And I'm playing a badly unoptimised version because I don't have 24 rare wildcards anymore.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 17, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Sickening posted:

Its doesn't have legacy, modern, or EDH demand. Foils aren't going to bring much of a premium.

Hot take: being a mana dork that doesn't die to Wrenn and Six means it honestly should have some modern and legacy demand (until they ban wrenn and six in all formats).

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

ungulateman posted:

Hot take: being a mana dork that doesn't die to Wrenn and Six means it honestly should have some modern and legacy demand (until they ban wrenn and six in all formats).

True, but with the B&R list being moved up to next Monday, I'd heard a few hopeful murmurings about W&6 getting hit. Personally, I don't think it would, at least currently, but if it does, "not dying to a now-banned card" isn't exactly a characteristic for cards I'm looking to rush right out and pick up a foil playset of.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
W6 seems fine outside of the insane price. Astrolabe and urza are the real bastards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Perfect color fixing, providing protection from one of the main sources of interaction of the format, recurring that very same source of interaction, removal, and a win condition is not "fine" on a 2 mana card.

I assume we're talking about legacy. If anyone is talking about Wrenn and Six being banned in modern, they're high. That will be in a few months when people realize what a ridiculous mistake Modern Horizons was yet again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's still perfect colour fixing and combos well with Liliana and Canopylands in Modern. But that's more of a deathrite-shaman-ban than a hogaak-ban.

Agreed that it's even more absurd when it gets to recur Wasteland though.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Voyager I posted:

Uh, actually BFZ completely hosed the price of Standard by combining types duals to combine with fetchlands. Every deck was some 4c pile running 12+ Fetches and then probably also a playset of Baby Jace at like $70 a pop. The competitive decks of that era were no-poo poo $700 and the backlash online was immense.

Oh the price of standard was utterly hosed, but that's because of the fetchlands and Jace. The Expeditions depressed the value of cards actually in BFZ. For instance, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar was a $20 card, as I think the most expensive (non-Expedition) card in the set. Given how insane he is, only being $20 is fantastic. Once fetches rotated, the price of standard went back to $200-300, with Gideon going up to $30 because Vehicles and he wasn't being opened anymore, but Expeditions/Masterpieces/(to a much lesser extent) Invocations absolutely helped keep the price of standard staples opened in their respective sets lower than they otherwise would have been.

e: to complete this thought, collector boosters don't help keep the price of standard staples sane - they depress the value of normal non-extended art foils, but don't do anything to depress the value of for example Once Upon a Time whenever someone figures out that it creates a tier 0 Modern deck or goes in literally all Standard decks or whatever. If they'd had Eldraine Fables as 1/144 pack included special cards that were things people actually wanted, they likely would keep Oko or Once from getting to a ridiculous price tag.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 17, 2019