Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Megazver posted:

All the people I've seen that have complaints about this are woke people complaining about how the creators' politics seem to dangerously not exactly match theirs. Oh and I guess a few crazy conservatives complaining about leftist voice-over, lol.

the crazy thing is that the authors are obviously very leftist, but just not the sort of tedious online type as they are capable of a little bit of self reflection and ridicule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Twitter culture has absolutely loving fried people's brains and analysis of culture. That review is as off base as all the hot takes of Joker

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm 10 hours in, part way through day 3 and cannot fathom that there's 30+ more hours of content left in this playthrough, I think this is a serious GOTY contender if the writing quality doesn't drop off a cliff suddenly.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Encyclopedia skill has me deeply engrossed in the lore of the game world and this made me realize that I must have a high Encyclopedia skill in my own head. poo poo.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I think there's pretty decent replayability in it too

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Is there NG+ ? I’d like to play with really high stats next

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Sulphagnist posted:

I feel like I am the crazy sidekick character in Kim's story. Which is cool.

Somebody make a Jack Burton build.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

Vice with some mixed first impressions.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywaez5/a-few-hours-in-disco-elysium-has-interesting-politics-but-a-frustrating-voice?utm_source=wptwitter

Also Austin seemed a bit mixed as well on the Waypoint podcast

Though so far that stance seems to be in the strong minority, and most reviewers seem to be loving it.

This is idiotic and boils down to not having big flashing "this is bad" on screen when people do bad things, unfairly comparing it to the greatest authors of our time, and their own baggage with leftism.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

terrorist ambulance posted:

I think there's pretty decent replayability in it too

And I'd expect replays to go along faster since you know what you are doing, but of course most of the time is spent reading great writing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

And tbh the game is not subtitle about what it thinks are good and bad things so lmao

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So I did a certain event in the church, and after that I can do a skill check. But I have an insane -10 modifier called Pale Unknown that I have no idea what means. Any hints?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

an actual dog posted:

This is idiotic and boils down to not having big flashing "this is bad" on screen when people do bad things, unfairly comparing it to the greatest authors of our time, and their own baggage with leftism.

an actual dog posted:

And tbh the game is not subtitle about what it thinks are good and bad things so lmao

"Depiction is endorsement" is the ultimate crutch of the hack critic.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ymgve posted:

So I did a certain event in the church, and after that I can do a skill check. But I have an insane -10 modifier called Pale Unknown that I have no idea what means. Any hints?

Those kinda weird modifiers usually means you have to come back after the Inland Empire voice tells you to go back. It's basically a "The time isn't right" modifier

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ymgve posted:

Have you thoroughly explored the Book Store?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

Certain character can talk to you about the Pale.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Started game, turned on light, died of a heart attack. Second time round I think I'll try to create a character less based on my own personality.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I beat the game. I loved every minute of it. Although I did feel it ended... rather suddenly. Not unlike some sort pilot for Disco Elysium, The Insane Political Crime Procedural Series. Which I would totally watch.

(Will he lose his memory this week and turn into a teetotaling, cynical communist? Or maybe be a perpetually drinking sexually crazed facist? Or will this be the special "Magnesium Based Lifeform" ultraliberal episode with Snoop Dogg?)

The wrap up at the end was hilarious for how it lets you justifies your actions and summarizes your character for you, adding backstory as appropriate to explain your stats. I'm a recovering alcoholic Gym Teacher apparently? Who is a communist? But also a facist. Everyone was very, very confused.

There were definitely a few bugs. Kim can leave for the day after certain progression points, which caused some... strangeness where I would talk to people during the day, and the Ethereal Spirit of Lt Kitsunagi would pipe in. And no, I wasn't high, drunk or using Inland Empire. Strangely it did register him as missing in a lot of other situations, leading to odd quest states where he would randomly pipe in later on a side-case he should have had no knowledge of, or quest progression and options involving Kim not triggering properly.

Some of the text didn't represent information very well either which kinda made me make bad decisions. In a frustrating, not very funny way.I totally hosed up the tribunal because my skills told me "in 5 days" and I assumed it was 5 days from the time I found out, not Day 5. God drat it, Shivers, Encyclopedia and Empathy, phrase your ominous warnings better.

And no, I never got my gun back. You can't even buy or loot one like a true hobocop! ... Which is fine, cuz I had the chest and glove armor! Who needs guns when you're bulletproof?! There may have been... uh... negative consequences for others, though. Sorry, Titus.

Kim is also my BFF for life. Can't wait to help him with his motor carriage later. Looking forward to Disco Elysium Kart with all the characters from this game and featuring all the drugs and alcohol replacing the Mario Kart items.

THE PHASMID WAS REAL! THE PHASMID WAS REALLLLLLLLL

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

an actual dog posted:

Oh, I dunno, I've found that the game is spectacularly egalitarian in that it makes fun of absolutely everyone more or less equally. It might make fun of the left a little less than the right, but nothing seems to escape its mocking gaze.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

an actual dog posted:

One of the centrist responses to I think the negotiator lady was hilarious, it was like, "Both sides are bad, I'm, very, very, very, smart."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it is, in many ways, a scathing critique of the left

that it is wonderful and believable is that it is written by the left instead of moronic chud hacks

reminds me a lot of soviet-era sci-fi that is critical of communism but very negative about capitalism and very negative about moron dipshit idiot poo poo for brain centrist liberals. Everybody gets what they want but if you're looking for a pro-capitaist message you're going to have to go in being stupid as poo poo to find it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Vice with some mixed first impressions.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywaez5/a-few-hours-in-disco-elysium-has-interesting-politics-but-a-frustrating-voice?utm_source=wptwitter

Also Austin seemed a bit mixed as well on the Waypoint podcast

Though so far that stance seems to be in the strong minority, and most reviewers seem to be loving it.

It seems less mixed and more aggressively avoiding having anything to say about it at all. About the only opinions he gave were it was sometimes "up its rear end" without any sort of specific examples and that its cynical at the start. In conclusion this guy is a moralist

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, you really need some insane luck to get through the Tribunal in one piece.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Spent the day playing this game instead of going to work.

I don't like how it railroads you into the only 'correct' character build. I mean sure, you can play with the stats somewhat, but any reasonable person is going to choose Inland Empire Commie Hobo Psychic Druggie anyway, so what's the point? Maybe on second playthrough I'll try something more daring.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Should I worry about getting my gun back? It seems like you can only do the dodgy favor to get it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Man, you really need some insane luck to get through the Tribunal in one piece.

One piece but with minor perforations is... acceptable? But painful.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so far the only decision i felt railroaded into was trying to convince the lady who quit the bar to tell me what really happened with her boss, and when i failed that check my only options were to go full incel chud or full reply guy and i was like "can't i just not engage with this further" and one of my skills was like "nope gently caress you, here's your choices pick one of them". which i wouldn't even mind if it were better telegraphed that failing this check was going to lead down those paths, but it felt completely out of left field as a consequence for just trying to get a suspect to give up more information.

it's weird because i feel like the rest of the checks i've attempted / failed gave a better indication of what the failure state could result in before you tried. that's the only failure i've been through thus far that seemed like a disingenuous "gently caress you for even trying" type thing

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Quicksilver6 posted:

One piece but with minor perforations is... acceptable? But painful.

(Big spoilers)
I managed it with 6 people dead. All mercs and 3 of the boys. About as good as I think it could go for my preparations I think.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

JamMasterJim posted:

Certain character can talk to you about the Pale.

Ok, which character? I got the book from the book store, but didn't get any leads from it.

edit: Found the character. Wow. Wow. That sounds like something a character with a starting stat of 5 in Encyclopedia should....know.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 16, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Carecat posted:

Should I worry about getting my gun back? It seems like you can only do the dodgy favor to get it.

So far I have gone out of my way to not find my gun or badge. I also don't have a face.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

There's a really, REALLY hard conceptualization check you can do with the company rep lady on the boat that reveals more of the world and the nature of the Pale. I could have sworn the game was going to go full Cosmic Horror after that conversation, but no.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The flavour text about becoming [cop type spoiler]: communist cop is a long thing about how you're all alone and communism has failed in the past and how your efforts will inevitably be helpless and ineffective against the sheer grinding inertia of capitalism and the trillions of reals being moved and exchanged throughout the world.

As a leftist, that's a biting and funny joke. If you think it was written by a chud, you're wrong

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lmao if you fail the karaoke check. I'm dying

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh, I dunno, I've found that the game is spectacularly egalitarian in that it makes fun of absolutely everyone more or less equally. It might make fun of the left a little less than the right, but nothing seems to escape its mocking gaze.

Yea it's definitely not like, didactic. But like, the kids who shout slurs at you seem to trip a lot of people up as like, "where is this coming from" when it's pretty clear that it's supposed to upset you. Like the morality of the game isn't this black box like most rpgs that just give you a power fantasy, it's good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Quicksilver6 posted:

There's a really, REALLY hard conceptualization check you can do with the company rep lady on the boat that reveals more of the world and the nature of the Pale. I could have sworn the game was going to go full Cosmic Horror after that conversation, but no.

Failing that check is fine. You get a really excellent Thought that is worth beelining for right off the bat in your second playthrough, and when you finish internalizing it you can go pass the check and learn about the Pale.

Spoiler about the first bit of the first spoiler: It gives a boost to max perception, which is fine, and 1xp per little bubble you click, which is b o n k e r s if you get it early enough

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 16, 2019

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

an actual dog posted:

Yea it's definitely not like, didactic. But like, the kids who shout slurs at you seem to trip a lot of people up as like, "where is this coming from" when it's pretty clear that it's supposed to upset you. Like the morality of the game isn't this black box like most rpgs that just give you a power fantasy, it's good.

having been a kid myself, screaming offensive poo poo that you don't really understand because you've noticed it makes adults uncomfortable and react in unusual ways is like being-a-little-poo poo 101. in a mirror of my own childhood, my drunk cop socked the mouthy kid in the dome and he almost immediately changed his tune.

if anything, the offensive content is depicting child abuse as a positive, viable solution to a problem

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Al! posted:

just out of curiosity and because i don't want to start a new playthru right now what happens if you don't throw away the memento hidden in the ledger you find in the dumpster?

I read it and got so sad I passed out and Kim made me drink water

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

an actual dog posted:

It makes a lot of sense that their blog posts talk about being a D&D GM.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Freaking Crumbum posted:

having been a kid myself, screaming offensive poo poo that you don't really understand because you've noticed it makes adults uncomfortable and react in unusual ways is like being-a-little-poo poo 101. in a mirror of my own childhood, my drunk cop immediately socked the mouthy kid in the dome and he almost immediately changed his tune.

if anything, the offensive content is depicting child abuse as a positive, viable solution to a problem

lol I couldn't do that so they just yelled at us through the whole autopsy and it was extremely funny

beats
Oct 21, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Spent the day playing this game instead of going to work.

I don't like how it railroads you into the only 'correct' character build. I mean sure, you can play with the stats somewhat, but any reasonable person is going to choose Inland Empire Commie Hobo Psychic Druggie anyway, so what's the point? Maybe on second playthrough I'll try something more daring.

I don't think it railroads you into that at all -- I went out of my way to avoid most of that stuff just to see what happens and now I'm really curious what a playthrough looks like without high Shivers, Perception or even Half-Light. I guess the great thing about there being no need for separate 'combat' skills is that all the skills are used constantly...everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if you miss just as much stuff by dumping FYS/MOT as you do with low INT/PSY. It seems like you can just do whatever and you'll have a good time.

beats fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

an actual dog posted:

A couple reviews have brought that up but it's obvious that it's supposed to be ugly and sad. The kid has clearly fried his brain on drugs. When you find him he's throwing rocks at a lynched corpse. You'd have to be incredibly dense to not realize that it's trying to show how broken and hopeless this city is.