Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'm kinda amazed that no one has tried to resurrect Street Sharks in some form or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Especially after Biker Mice From Mars of all things actually had a return to TV not too long ago. My mind was blown.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We've gotten a new wave of interest in reviving Thundercats, He-Man and She-Ra, and DuckTales is doing pretty well. 90s nostalgia hasn't quite gotten its time to shine yet.

My wild card would be a revival of The Bots Master.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PicklePants posted:

Especially after Biker Mice From Mars of all things actually had a return to TV not too long ago. My mind was blown.

To be fair that seemed to arrive and then vanish into the night relatively quickly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We've gotten a new wave of interest in reviving Thundercats, He-Man and She-Ra, and DuckTales is doing pretty well. 90s nostalgia hasn't quite gotten its time to shine yet.

My wild card would be a revival of The Bots Master.

We've arguably already had a small wave of 90s animation nostalgia with the movies for Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life. Rugrats is being considered for some sort of revival and Carmen Sandiego has a new animated series as well (this one's an odd duck because it has a series from the 90s and the original game show and games from the 80s). Then there's the perpetual rumors of Animaniacs and Freakazoid getting revived too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's not forget Invader Zim's netflix special, so Jhonen Vasquez is back in action too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair that seemed to arrive and then vanish into the night relatively quickly.

I vaguely remember watching that. The He-man revival lasted a bit longer but apparently the toys didn't sell.

The Nickelodeon cases are an odd one given they're actual revivals/continuations of the shows in question, usually with as many of the original cast and crew as they can get, rather than full on reboots.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

We've arguably already had a small wave of 90s animation nostalgia with the movies for Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life. Rugrats is being considered for some sort of revival and Carmen Sandiego has a new animated series as well (this one's an odd duck because it has a series from the 90s and the original game show and games from the 80s). Then there's the perpetual rumors of Animaniacs and Freakazoid getting revived too.

Animaniacs isn’t a rumor, it’s already been confirmed for a Hulu release either next year or 2021 (I forget which) and most of the original cast is currently slated to return.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not sure what Animaniacs can really be, except possibly the Mad TV that was on adult swim that no one liked.
We don't really have as much of a monoculture, I'm not sure they can really talk about current events on a kids show when they're so dire, cartoons aren't really as much of a thing anymore, and when you attempt it on the softball level that a kids show can when it's not using heavy metaphor, you get the weak observational humor that that show had. Basic gimmick of showing up and annoying adults across time and space and all reality, and also the songs... idk about it, either, it's probably the strongest remaining aspect.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm not sure what Animaniacs can really be, except possibly the Mad TV that was on adult swim that no one liked.
We don't really have as much of a monoculture, I'm not sure they can really talk about current events on a kids show when they're so dire, cartoons aren't really as much of a thing anymore, and when you attempt it on the softball level that a kids show can when it's not using heavy metaphor, you get the weak observational humor that that show had. Basic gimmick of showing up and annoying adults across time and space and all reality, and also the songs... idk about it, either, it's probably the strongest remaining aspect.

Mad TV was a regular CN show, not Adult Swim. It was like PG or PG-13 Robot Chicken but animated and, imo, there were definitely a few gems in there (but also a lot of trash).

But at this point Animaniacs would probably work better as a series of web shorts than a full blown series, partially because the format has changed, and partially because lampooning Hollywood and pop culture in general is very overdone at this point, even at a kids programming level.

BioEnchanted posted:

Let's not forget Invader Zim's netflix special, so Jhonen Vasquez is back in action too.

Zim is early 00s so I didn't list it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Mad TV was a regular CN show, not Adult Swim. It was like PG or PG-13 Robot Chicken but animated and, imo, there were definitely a few gems in there (but also a lot of trash).

But at this point Animaniacs would probably work better as a series of web shorts than a full blown series, partially because the format has changed, and partially because lampooning Hollywood and pop culture in general is very overdone at this point, even at a kids programming level.

Zim is early 00s so I didn't list it.

Given the primary way of consuming cartoons these days, a 'series of web shorts' is basically what most are now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like we're already at late 90s/early 00s nostalgia, and that frightens the gently caress out of me, because it means I'm getting old.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The show that was on Cartoon Network was simply called Mad. MadTV was the sketch show on Fox that most people saw in syndication on Comedy Central.

E: He looka likea man

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Speaking of revivals, Disney Junior is now advertising a Rocketeer cartoon. It seems to occupy a vague late twentieth center century timeframe while it tries imparts life lessons to toddlers like my boy. If it's anything like the movie, I won't remember anything past the existence of a jet pack.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Will nazis still be punched?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Speaking of revivals, Disney Junior is now advertising a Rocketeer cartoon. It seems to occupy a vague late twentieth center century timeframe while it tries imparts life lessons to toddlers like my boy. If it's anything like the movie, I won't remember anything past the existence of a jet pack.

To be fair, I don't think they intend for the audience to remember much more than that either

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Will nazis still be punched?

Sadly, it looks to be set in the time after we defeated the Nazis and they'd never, ever be a problem again.*Closes history book after 2007*

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/Manga_Kamen/status/1184052543443427329?s=09

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
omg yes

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1184531088481366017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There have been several announcements regarding adapting Bone over the years and none of them have panned out. I’ll believe it when I see it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Netflix has slightly more cachet so it’s a bit more likely.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Netflix has slightly more cachet so it’s a bit more likely.
Also, has netflix ever announced that they're making something only to cancel it before it airs?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

There have been several announcements regarding adapting Bone over the years and none of them have panned out. I’ll believe it when I see it.

My favorite one was when Nickelodeon wanted to put N'Sync songs in it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mystes posted:

Also, has netflix ever announced that they're making something only to cancel it before it airs?

No, I don't think so.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mystes posted:

no because they have to wait until it gets a second season

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

My favorite one was when Nickelodeon wanted to put N'Sync songs in it.

Was that different from the movie that featured songs from Britney Spears?

Also as excited as I am that something is probably, finally happening with Bone, the fact that they’re specifically calling it a kids series makes me pause. The first two books are absolutely fantastic family fun but once the third book comes around and the plot starts up it shifts to PG-13 LOTR style fantasy violence/horror and it is a shift that is quite important imho and it would be a shame if the Netflix adaptation ignores it

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 16, 2019

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Rand Brittain posted:

Has anyone seen Moominvalley yet? Has there been any sign of it becoming available in the USA?

I watched an episode or two of Moominvalley and was ever so disappointed. Comet in Moominland and the Finnish/Japanese 90's cartoon were touchstones of my life as a young boy, so I'm absolutely watching it through that lens and it just doesn't compare, I dont know if it ever really had a chance to.

Its crammed with celebrities but none of them really has a distinct voice, Matt Berry is Moominpappa and flashes of his distinctive deep voice are there, but the rest of the time he just sounds like any other British fella, everyone else is anonymous. This is in stark contradistinction to the 90's show where the characters all have their own distinct voice; Moominpappa with his ever-so-slightly New-England Old-Money voice, Snufkin with his calm authority, Sniff wonderfully shrill, Little My maintaining the line between affection and obnoxiousness and the immaculately maternal Moominmamma.

Similarly the style has none of the soul of the original. It looks like what it is, which is to say a slightly more expensive and lavish CG cartoon, lacking all the artistry and magic of its predecessor

Finally, it just has none of the nuance or weight of the 90's cartoon - I still tear up when I watch the episodes featuring the invisible little girl which straightforwardly tackles issues of domestic abuse and neglect, or 'The Last Dragon on Earth' which effortlessly and lightly interrogates the relationship between Snufkin and Moomintroll. The new cartoon has absolutely no depth to it.

The 90's cartoon does all this and maintains an air of melancholy and wonder and happiness and innocence that I dont know has been matched by a kids TV show since.

Watch! (I timestamped these, but everyone should the episodes in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGYQvJQjO84&t=1040s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXsgaho8yTE&t=1072s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfxn4-XWWGA&t=463s

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never saw any of those as a kid, but I did find the show recently and watch a little. It's mostly not my kinda thing, but I did get some real nostalgia for old dubs with questionable sound quality and their very specifically 90s library of sound effects. I also really like that it's a product of internationalism, from Finland to Japan to America, and I'm pretty sure that the dutch were involved somewhere along the line.

It'd definitely be interesting to see Bone animated, and I hope that they do the accents well. The only adaptation I've heard of is the Telltale adventure game that is probably now unobtainable through any legal means.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

asecondduck posted:

Also as excited as I am that something is probably, finally happening with Bone, the fact that they’re specifically calling it a kids series makes me pause. The first two books are absolutely fantastic family fun but once the third book comes around and the plot starts up it shifts to PG-13 LOTR style fantasy violence/horror and it is a shift that is quite important imho and it would be a shame if the Netflix adaptation ignores it

I can only think of one part of Bone, even in the latter half, where it would be a little much for a kids series. And really, hasn't Bone been a consistently good seller for the young crowd already? I am not worried too much.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did Bone ever finish?

Might track down the books since I loved them in middle school.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Bone ever finish?

Pretty sure the books finished a while back but I could be wrong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

asecondduck posted:

fwiw Netflix considers both Stranger Things and The Dark Crystal to be kids shows. they're frankly pretty ballsy with what they file in the kids category.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Bone ever finish?

Yeah, finished in 2004. Author is still releasing spin-offs though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I like how the plan was originally murder them in their sleep, that turned into live in the couch.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking up what old shows are still running and was surprised to discover that Cyberchase is still running. And Arthur too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like how the plan was originally murder them in their sleep, that turned into live in the couch.

I feel like I've seen variants on this a lot with cartoon villains.

You either die a villain or live long enough to become Alf.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3hAt82t1ZQ

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like I've seen variants on this a lot with cartoon villains.

You either die a villain or live long enough to become Alf.

You mean come back, in pog form?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wha

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1187051226594267136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Makes sens- wait where??