Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

beats posted:

I don't think it railroads you into that at all -- I went out of my way to avoid most of that stuff just to see what happens and now I'm really curious what a playthrough looks like without high Shivers, Perception or even Half-Light. I guess the great thing about there being no need for separate 'combat' skills is that all the skills are used constantly...everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if you miss just as much stuff by dumping FYS/MOT as you do with low INT/PSY. It seems like you can just do whatever and you'll have a good time.

Two playthroughs I definitely want to do are ones where I don't put any points into anything at all and one where I use cheat engine to give myself all of the stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

beats posted:

I don't think it railroads you into that at all

I think he was being ironical

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I'm torn on what I want to do for my first run. Either a 4/2/2/4 (Percpetion) run as a thinky seey or a 2/2/4/4 (Not sure) run. The way they've made every skill be interesting and involved is really neat and refreshing

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One negative thing about the game: I'm on Friday now, and feels like it becomes less and less a game of exploration, discovery and detectiving and more of savescumming and metagaming my skill level ups to make any progress at all.

Like outside the Field Electrical building. There are two OBVIOUS (like, I can visually see the ladder and the sewer entry on the screen) potential ways into the building, but neither of them become interactable until you pass a hard skill check related to the...mural on the building, for some reason. And now I've failed both skill checks for the ladder and the sewer, and I don't see any other way into the building apart from finding a level up to get another try on the skill check, then savescumming to make sure I pass.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 16, 2019

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

A couple reviews have brought that up but it's obvious that it's supposed to be ugly and sad. The kid has clearly fried his brain on drugs. When you find him he's throwing rocks at a lynched corpse. You'd have to be incredibly dense to not realize that it's trying to show how broken and hopeless this city is.

It's not even just a "oh look at how bad things are" kind of thing, it's playing with your cop persona by presenting someone so much less powerful than you. It's edgy good not edgy bad lol

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

I read it and got so sad I passed out and Kim made me drink water

I thought I'd loving died or the game had crashed until Lizard Brain started speaking and then sagged in relief.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
How do learning cap increases from thoughts work if I invest a skill point and then discard the thought?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, how do thoughts work? It's not totally clear to me

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My shoes have turned me into a libertarian. I love this loving game :allears:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah, how do thoughts work? It's not totally clear to me

They're basically perks that you discover and "equip" as you play through the game. Most of them require some time to "mature", and provide different bonuses during that period.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

beats posted:

I don't think it railroads you into that at all -- I went out of my way to avoid most of that stuff just to see what happens and now I'm really curious what a playthrough looks like without high Shivers, Perception or even Half-Light. I guess the great thing about there being no need for separate 'combat' skills is that all the skills are used constantly...everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if you miss just as much stuff by dumping FYS/MOT as you do with low INT/PSY. It seems like you can just do whatever and you'll have a good time.

I suspect he was joking and delivering a sneaky compliment to this insane game.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I think he was being ironical

Aaah of course, yes. He was being ironical...very ironical.

This is just like my playthrough. Only now I'd threaten you.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Quicksilver6 posted:

I thought I'd loving died or the game had crashed until Lizard Brain started speaking and then sagged in relief.

Yeah me too but the lizard brain part hosed with me by making me think they were starting the game over

I kinda wish Kim was able to recap where you are in the case and maybe suggest things to follow up on, it feels a little weird that he only offers suggestions while you're doing stuff or if he thinks you're wasting time. Although I can see how hard it would be to make that much reactive dialog

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm nearing the end of the second day and need some cash for rent. I'm wondering if there is any use for this item or can I safely pawn it? :ohdear:

This game is very dense, I feel like I'm going through it really slowly.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

itry posted:

I'm nearing the end of the second day and need some cash for rent. I'm wondering if there is any use for this item or can I safely pawn it? :ohdear:

You can give it to the old guys if you threw their ball in the water

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hub Cat posted:

You can give it to the old guys if you threw their ball in the water

But it's not even the same size :monocle: (or at least it doesn't look like it is).
I didn't ruin their game, so I assume it's safe to pawn. Unless there's a way to open a youth gym and get my hobo-cop into shape. Thanks.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 16, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

They're basically perks that you discover and "equip" as you play through the game. Most of them require some time to "mature", and provide different bonuses during that period.

And then they take skill points to remove? The ones I've found so far seem to have drawbacks, is that just the idea, that they provide bonuses and drawbacks that you can pay to get rid of / replace if you need to

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

iGestalt posted:

I'm torn on what I want to do for my first run. Either a 4/2/2/4 (Percpetion) run as a thinky seey or a 2/2/4/4 (Not sure) run. The way they've made every skill be interesting and involved is really neat and refreshing

the numbers only matter in the background, pick something and roll with it to the end

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Book shop spoilers:

what do you do with the computer - where do you find the password?

What do you do with the antique gun?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iGestalt posted:

Look at the skills themselves and their syngergies. The category level only limits how many times you can train the skills you find important for your type of detective.

And you get a point at a constant rate of 100 exp points. And there are ways to raise the caps.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 16, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Book shop spoilers:

what do you do with the computer - where do you find the password?

What do you do with the antique gun?

These could be pretty big spoilers idk if you really want the answers.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can i up my max motorics somehow?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Davincie posted:

can i up my max motorics somehow?

Thoughts often increase skill or skilltype maxes.

Which ones? Guess you're gonna have to go find out!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

itry posted:

Look at the skills themselves and their syngergies. The category level only limits how many times you can train the skills you find important for your type of detective.

And you get a point at a constant rate of 100 exp points. And there are ways to raise the caps.

tbf each stat point is also functionally six skill points, insofar as it's a point in each of its skills

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone found the T-500 pants?

Also that, visit to the island was really weird, I wonder if it changes depending on what your highest stat is.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

These could be pretty big spoilers idk if you really want the answers.

Ok so I shouldn't sell them

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

And then they take skill points to remove? The ones I've found so far seem to have drawbacks, is that just the idea, that they provide bonuses and drawbacks that you can pay to get rid of / replace if you need to

Yes, but they also sometimes change your dialogue choices.

As a note, they usually provide only drawbacks until they are internalized (after a period of time), then they give either only bonuses or a mix.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my favorite part of obvious criticism of the extremely online is when you are digging through the dumpster and it's like wow, you found a racist coffee cup what tremendous content for you to discover, dipshit. thank you so much for digging this piece of garbage out of the dumpster where it belongs and everyone could have forgotten it and using it to champion your shallow political stance, stupid fucker. so yeah this game does have an obvious viewpoint

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Edit: Lmao, I met the (huge spoilers)Goddess of Liberalism

Edit: More like "manifestation" I guess, but still, that was hilarious.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 17, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Al! posted:

my favorite part of obvious criticism of the extremely online is when you are digging through the dumpster and it's like wow, you found a racist coffee cup what tremendous content for you to discover, dipshit. thank you so much for digging this piece of garbage out of the dumpster where it belongs and everyone could have forgotten it and using it to champion your shallow political stance, stupid fucker. so yeah this game does have an obvious viewpoint

Idk man that mug has actually been super useful to me getting info out of 2 different racist idiots and I made the one freak out that I was gonna destroy his life

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Idk man that mug has actually been super useful to me getting info out of 2 different racist idiots and I made the one freak out that I was gonna destroy his life

oh sure it's definitely an obvious fuckin clue

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

A couple reviews have brought that up but it's obvious that it's supposed to be ugly and sad. The kid has clearly fried his brain on drugs. When you find him he's throwing rocks at a lynched corpse. You'd have to be incredibly dense to not realize that it's trying to show how broken and hopeless this city is.

I'm gonna make that tweaker poo poo pay for it. Just not by slapping him because I fell on my rear end when I tried. He reminds me of some of the kids I grew up with who had weird behavioural issues, you couldn't talk to them really because whatever you'd say would end up as a provocation or they'd start talking to you having fully decided that at some point in the conversation they'd freak out. I mean they weren't on drugs I don't think..

Like this child is obviously a victim of circumstance but also I've been called what he calls you on the street too many times to not secretly plot to ruin this kid's life. That's even after I decided my cop has taken his clean slate as a sign to get his poo poo together.

For my next play through I'm going to max my physical stat and drink a lot and go full Sheriff Hopper.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah, that mug is more more useful than most of the stuff you pick up.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Vice with some mixed first impressions.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywaez5/a-few-hours-in-disco-elysium-has-interesting-politics-but-a-frustrating-voice?utm_source=wptwitter

Also Austin seemed a bit mixed as well on the Waypoint podcast

Though so far that stance seems to be in the strong minority, and most reviewers seem to be loving it.

Oh wow Waypoint is way lamer than I thought
Especially when the next article is how funny Indivisible is, jesus christ

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im glad I punched the kid. gently caress that kid. Id punch a kid in real life, thats how badass I am, and a superstar to boot

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I am the Law

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

okay a big fat guy wont talk to me unless i sit down, and every time i sit down i die, help?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Davincie posted:

okay a big fat guy wont talk to me unless i sit down, and every time i sit down i die, help?

do you have a number on your health gage?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Al! posted:

do you have a number on your health gage?

6, but i only have 1 physique and endurance cause im a glass cannon

you gave me the idea to put on a tough guy shirt though, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Just take medicine in the time slowdown while you're dying (click the number over the gauge if you didn't know)