Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

danbanana posted:

The gently caress did happen to Daken? He was brought back post-Remender X-Force right?
Daken got killed in Uncanny X-Force by Remender, then brought back as the Horseman of Death (in Remender's Uncanny Avengers). He just kind of... got better? after that. But then right before Secret Wars he lost his healing factor and lost an eye and lost an arm.

Then he got better somehow and was in a bunch of comics including Sina Grace's Iceman and Tom Taylor's All-New Wolverine. There were various sort of off-hand references to how his healing factor was messed up or whatever, and then in the Return of Wolverine stuff he was captured and killed by SOTERIA and resurrected as like a zombie android soldier who got killed by Wolverine again using his HOT CLAWS.

He's also in one of the group shots of THE BAD GUYS coming to Krakoa in HoX #5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

His kids/clones have lives of their own. Like, do you think Daken or Laura want to actually live in the same house as Logan?

Maybe that extra room is for whichever young mutant Logan is mentoring at the moment? Actually, given the history of everyone currently staying there, there should be multiple guest rooms.

Which would be... uh... *rifles through notes* ...Armor, I guess?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Gymer posted:

An imitation Shiar logic diamond.

So either they're resurrecting Gregor's husband or using his imprint to attempt another Nimrod or some type of New Nimrod.

I say this because when Killian (a cyborg) refers to Gregor's husband as a "great hunter" struck me as a kind of weird thing to say about someone. He does hunt mutants but referring to a military strategist as a great hunter is still off, I dunno. That's until I saw the crystal and the implied plans to resurrect him somehow. I think it's a hint: Nimrod can refer to someone stupid or inept, but it also means great hunter.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

He's also in one of the group shots of THE BAD GUYS coming to Krakoa in HoX #5.

Oh poo poo I missed that. So he is around and instead of seeing him, Logan is like "nah, I'm gonna hang around the dad of my true love's husband and also their time displaced kids and some space pirates."

Anyway, all the poo poo Daken talked before Logan drowned him was true.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strange Poon posted:

So either they're resurrecting Gregor's husband or using his imprint to attempt another Nimrod or some type of New Nimrod.

I say this because when Killian (a cyborg) refers to Gregor's husband as a "great hunter" struck me as a kind of weird thing to say about someone. He does hunt mutants but referring to a military strategist as a great hunter is still off, I dunno. That's until I saw the crystal and the implied plans to resurrect him somehow. I think it's a hint: Nimrod can refer to someone stupid or inept, but it also means great hunter.

Yeah Bugs Bunny uses it mockingly in the cartoons to describe Elmer Fudd, but because it's such a silly name people thought it just meant dumb.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stealth return of AHAB character find of 1994.

Also are Hep and Corsair still a thing? 'Hepzibah stay away from my granddaughter!'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just going to be honest, it was really dumb of Claremont to call his ultimate mutant hunting robot Nimrod. Yes, it's a biblical reference, but Bugs Bunny ruined the word as a compliment several decades before Claremont was writing X-Men.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 17, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Vulcan for best new character 2019

before you say anything, yes I know and no I don't care

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Loved everything about this issue. Cyclops was perfect

We won’t have to wait long for more Starjammers. They’ll be teaming up with the New Mutants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What exactly are Vulcan's powers anyway? some energy blast I guess?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Synthbuttrange posted:

Energy production and manipulation on a ridiculous scale.

Basically, all the Summers kids are blasters, but apparently the mutation was working out the kinks as it went and Gabriel got the ridiculous combo platter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Energy production and manipulation on a ridiculous scale.

Basically, all the Summers kids are blasters, but apparently the mutation was working out the kinks as it went and Gabriel got the ridiculous combo platter.

To be fair isn't Havok's power also utterly ridiculous as well? Cyclops really seems like the only one who got 'shafted' since he just gets eye lasers and not "can eat a sun"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's one of those things that's quietly fallen by the wayside since Claremont left, but Havok's big problem is meant to be that he doesn't really have a medium setting. He's great if you need to melt a car to slag, vaporize some aliens, or destroy targets in low orbit, but anything lower than that is outside his reach. Honestly, they probably should have him in a device somewhere providing the entire planet with infinite energy.

Cyclops has a lot of potential finesse with his powers, and would have more if he didn't have that brain injury/mental block. There's a cool panel from back in the day where he uses an optic blast to shoot pool.

Vulcan, meanwhile, has the best of both worlds and a bunch on top of that.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Vulcan has so much energy manipulation that he probably can’t die. He can fly in space. He can vaporize fleets of alien spaceships.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Billzasilver posted:

Vulcan has so much energy manipulation that he probably can’t die. He can fly in space. He can vaporize fleets of alien spaceships.

Then why'd he loving die like a bitch the first time he went to Krakoa? (I haven't actually read Deadly Genesis).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synthbuttrange posted:

He is, per the list in HoX/PoX, an Omega Level Mutant whose powers are listed as 'energy manipulation.' Mostly he absorbs energy and zaps things with energy but he can theoretically do a lot more than that.

EDIT:

Skwirl posted:

Then why'd he loving die like a bitch the first time he went to Krakoa? (I haven't actually read Deadly Genesis).

Presumably a combination of being vaguely half-trained and the fact that Krakoa dampened mutant powers in the time period in which Deadly Genesis was set.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 17, 2019

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

but he can theoretically do a lot more than that.

Like ruin a steak :doom:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Medium rare is actually the ideal steak. Logan is wrong.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Medium rare is actually the ideal steak. Logan is wrong.

Gatekeeping how to ETA stake never gets old

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Billzasilver posted:

Despite not being from the 90's he is very 90's in being 'energy blasts and glow eyes.'

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun/status/1184840027127386114

Claremont wanting orgies 30 years before Hickman pulled it off.

Also: look how great Silvestri and Green's work is here. Simple and scratchy, but evoking a hell of a lot of facial emotion, plus GREAT comical framing on the first panel. I decided a long time ago that Silvestri having to meet some tight deadlines resulted in his best work. And I don't think there has been a better X-artist for the comedy stuff ever. Claremont clearly felt the same way considering how many sight gags and silly issues ran in this era.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's time for a new X-Men thread. Who wants to step up? I'll leave this one open until the new one is up.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

With connecting doors! They’re the only 3 bedrooms with doors like that

Hickman is 100% diagramming a polycule there and it is now canon.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if that is what is actually intended, then revealing it through a diagram is the lamest poo poo possible

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Oh I doubt they ever acknowledge it openly, just continue portraying Marvel Girl as fatigued and out of sorts while Cyclops and Wolverine are getting along better than ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

danbanana posted:

https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun/status/1184840027127386114

Claremont wanting orgies 30 years before Hickman pulled it off.

Also: look how great Silvestri and Green's work is here. Simple and scratchy, but evoking a hell of a lot of facial emotion, plus GREAT comical framing on the first panel. I decided a long time ago that Silvestri having to meet some tight deadlines resulted in his best work. And I don't think there has been a better X-artist for the comedy stuff ever. Claremont clearly felt the same way considering how many sight gags and silly issues ran in this era.

Just read that issue last night. It’s the same issue where the not Ghostbusters are killed by a demon elevator while Madelyne seduces Havok.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Oh I doubt they ever acknowledge it openly, just continue portraying Marvel Girl as fatigued and out of sorts while Cyclops and Wolverine are getting along better than ever.

I want to know what Hickman's direction was for the artist for this panel. It's got to be some form of, "The X-Men canonically gently caress now, draw something where it seems they're like 3 beers away from a group barebackin' hoedown."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I wonder if with the great un-deadening (not to be confused with Necrosha. Or Chaos War.) if someone's going to do something with the other Deadly Genesis X-Men who aren't Vulcan or Darwin.

Plus I imagine that entire story is going to have a lot of implications given what we now know about Moira & Charles' relationship. Not to mention, you know, Krakoa was a key player in that story.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Magneto is in top form on X-Men #1 and I hope this continues.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Parallax posted:

if that is what is actually intended, then revealing it through a diagram is the lamest poo poo possible

It's also clearly a sinister secret

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Hickman's solution to the Logan - Jean - Cyclops triangle...and then add Emma...was to make them all a thing, then hats off to him for going that route and getting past it all by making the characters happy.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nevvy Z posted:

It's also clearly a sinister secret

Perhaps when we get past issue number 1, we may get more details.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Gatts posted:

If Hickman's solution to the Logan - Jean - Cyclops triangle...and then add Emma...was to make them all a thing, then hats off to him for going that route and getting past it all by making the characters happy.

I think he's soft pitching the whole polyamory thing, but it's completely inline with his vision.

He's shaken up the entirety of mutant society, he's established Krakoa as an experimental utopia, and rule goddamn number 1 is "Make More Mutants."

Yeah, any utopian colony like that is going to have a lot of loving.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

My preferred version of Cyclops the one who matured into the true leader of mutantkind in the generation succeeding Xavier and Magneto, but since those two will never stay dead long enough for that version to ever take hold... Why not try something fun?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
A small touch that I like about this issue, and about Hickman in general, is when he noted that they have empaths and telepaths at hand to deal with the kidnapped children's trauma, on top of the normal healers. Because it's like...yeah. Of course they do. Of course they have those resources. And yet...it didn't used to be that way? Despite being the most powerful people on the planet with more psychics per square foot than any other superteam, the idea of using these resources to help people with trauma just...flat out didn't occur to X-writers before this point, basically. Like every once in a blue moon Xavier will go "I will help you to deal with this mental wound, my friend" to someone or another, and yet the impression that the school gave off in general was this, like...understaffed, poorly-managed halfway house that was generally unprepared to deal with the issues that it had to deal with. All the kids at the school would just wander about being traumatized by their lives forever because no one could spare a single moment to provide them with any actual healing.

And it didn't actually have to be that way? Like the X-Men didn't have to move to a mutant island to remember that they have superpowers. There was really no stopping any writers before Hickman from going "Hey these people can conceivably do this, so they really probably should be doing that," but it just about started and stopped at the point where Storm waters her plants with her powers and stuff. Even Morrison didn't really utilize this sort of thing to its actual potential and more often than not just focused on mutants with more finite, non-useful mutations. If nothing else, I appreciate Hickman building a mutant status quo that actually feels functional.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be fair to Morrison, that wasn't the point of his run.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've long maintained that Xavier having the X-Men be a secretive, paramilitary group was the absolute worst choice he could have made for human mutant coexistence. Someone like Storm, Jean, or Forge could have built more goodwill with the human population by solving problems than spanking Magneto a dozen times could

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

*points at every single example of Xavier using his powers to “help” someone*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

there was that time the New Mutants were so traumatized by being killed and brought back to life by the Beyonder that Magneto sent them all to Frost to telepathically work with them because he couldn’t figure out how to help them