Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghazk posted:

Paging Safety Factor
Did someone say boxdreads? :shepface:

Mef989 posted:

So, I think I might be danger close to owning a 30k army just from my 40k Ultramarines collection. How much further do I have to go?

Plasma Gun/Mace Captain (Calth)
Cataphractii Captain(Calth)
Converted Tartaros Chaplain
2x 10 Mk III/IV Bolter Tacticals
5 Plasma Gun Mk IV Tacticals
2 Rhinos
2 Drop Pods
1 Whirlwind (regular 40k type)
1 Double Stormcannon Leviathan
2 Quad Las Contemptor
3 Las/Autocannon Venerable box dreads
What you've got is pretty workable for Zone Mortalis (1000 points) on up to regular games of about 1500 with a few weapon swaps. I think you'd struggle at 2000+ with what you've got right now, but a couple more units will get you on the right path. You're really lacking in melee units; I'd probably start with a squad of suzerains, one of the UM special units. They're one of the few infantry units in the game with AP2 at initiative and are all around pretty great. However, they'll need an assault transport of some kind (unless playing ZM or centurion) and your main options are the dreadclaw drop pod or the standard 40k land raider phobos. If you would rather stick to plastic, there's always terminators. You could easily call one of your HQ models a warmonger consul and use him to deep strike a large squad. Another squad or two of basic tacticals is also a good idea. 20-man blobs can do some work and are fantastic at holding objectives, particularly with attached apothecaries. You may also need the bodies to fill out the FOC for particular Rites of War. I'd recommend having at least 30 tacticals on hand.

Now, about those dreadnoughts. The leviathan should be totally fine, double stormcannon is a pretty common build in 30k and can do some real work unless you're up against AV14. The contemptors can be run as mortis pattern without changing a thing and are solid anti-tank/anti-air. Though if you can magnetize them I'd really recommend it as there are so many options available to that chassis. Dual kheres is especially popular. They can also be a great melee threat in smaller games when armed with a fist. With the boxdreads, I'm guessing lascannon/autocannon is some weird 8th ed meta build and while you can run them in 30k it's also not going to be very good. The qualities that make it work in 8th aren't necessarily present and they'll have half the shots. Not unusable, but not great. Personally, I'm a big, dumb idiot and run three boxdreads in most of my 1000-1500 games. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it works for me and it's a blast to play. Unless I'm running a mortis variant, I always keep the fist on there. It's just worth it for the utility on top of being a decent melee threat. There are more built-in weapon options in 30k so it's still possible to get some decent firepower out of them. For example, plasma cannons are fantastic in ZM and a fist with a heavy flamer or plasma blaster (assault 2 plasma gun) pairs well with one. They're pretty open to customization and even have a couple of options unavailable to contemptors like flamestorm cannons and hunter-killer missiles. Fortunately, both boxdreads and contemptors magnetize really easily and if you're running plastic boxdreads they may not even need it.

I wouldn't worry about this for now, but there are a bunch of generic Rites of War that will let you build your army out however you want - drop pod assault, armored column, bikes and jetbikes, terminators and veterans, etc., etc. You just need to pick a theme and work towards it. There are also two unique UM RoWs available. One provides one of three army-wide buffs chosen at the start of each their turns, but requires a master of signal consul or command rhino, three compulsory troops, and disallows deep strike. It's meant to represent a standard UM force arrayed for battle and has some potential when layered over their basic legion rules. The second RoW is meant to represent the UM working alongside their secret police and requires an allied detachment taken from the militia list so I'll skip it. You could make it work if you happen to have an existing IG army though. You don't have to run a Rite of War at all and a legion army without one is absolutely viable so don't worry about this stuff too much. They're mostly intended to provide themes to build your army around or fit a particular play style. Take your time and figure out what will work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
One Hundred and Twenty days till the 2020 Las Vegas Open.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TTerrible posted:

1000 Points - Blackshields

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
At first glance I thought it said TOXIC WINE

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Did someone say boxdreads? :shepface:

What you've got is pretty workable for Zone Mortalis (1000 points) on up to regular games of about 1500 with a few weapon swaps. I think you'd struggle at 2000+ with what you've got right now, but a couple more units will get you on the right path. You're really lacking in melee units; I'd probably start with a squad of suzerains, one of the UM special units. They're one of the few infantry units in the game with AP2 at initiative and are all around pretty great. However, they'll need an assault transport of some kind (unless playing ZM or centurion) and your main options are the dreadclaw drop pod or the standard 40k land raider phobos. If you would rather stick to plastic, there's always terminators. You could easily call one of your HQ models a warmonger consul and use him to deep strike a large squad. Another squad or two of basic tacticals is also a good idea. 20-man blobs can do some work and are fantastic at holding objectives, particularly with attached apothecaries. You may also need the bodies to fill out the FOC for particular Rites of War. I'd recommend having at least 30 tacticals on hand.

Now, about those dreadnoughts. The leviathan should be totally fine, double stormcannon is a pretty common build in 30k and can do some real work unless you're up against AV14. The contemptors can be run as mortis pattern without changing a thing and are solid anti-tank/anti-air. Though if you can magnetize them I'd really recommend it as there are so many options available to that chassis. Dual kheres is especially popular. They can also be a great melee threat in smaller games when armed with a fist. With the boxdreads, I'm guessing lascannon/autocannon is some weird 8th ed meta build and while you can run them in 30k it's also not going to be very good. The qualities that make it work in 8th aren't necessarily present and they'll have half the shots. Not unusable, but not great. Personally, I'm a big, dumb idiot and run three boxdreads in most of my 1000-1500 games. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it works for me and it's a blast to play. Unless I'm running a mortis variant, I always keep the fist on there. It's just worth it for the utility on top of being a decent melee threat. There are more built-in weapon options in 30k so it's still possible to get some decent firepower out of them. For example, plasma cannons are fantastic in ZM and a fist with a heavy flamer or plasma blaster (assault 2 plasma gun) pairs well with one. They're pretty open to customization and even have a couple of options unavailable to contemptors like flamestorm cannons and hunter-killer missiles. Fortunately, both boxdreads and contemptors magnetize really easily and if you're running plastic boxdreads they may not even need it.

I wouldn't worry about this for now, but there are a bunch of generic Rites of War that will let you build your army out however you want - drop pod assault, armored column, bikes and jetbikes, terminators and veterans, etc., etc. You just need to pick a theme and work towards it. There are also two unique UM RoWs available. One provides one of three army-wide buffs chosen at the start of each their turns, but requires a master of signal consul or command rhino, three compulsory troops, and disallows deep strike. It's meant to represent a standard UM force arrayed for battle and has some potential when layered over their basic legion rules. The second RoW is meant to represent the UM working alongside their secret police and requires an allied detachment taken from the militia list so I'll skip it. You could make it work if you happen to have an existing IG army though. You don't have to run a Rite of War at all and a legion army without one is absolutely viable so don't worry about this stuff too much. They're mostly intended to provide themes to build your army around or fit a particular play style. Take your time and figure out what will work for you.

This is really great advice, thank you. I'll probably work on getting some suzerain a land raider, a few more tacs and possibly 30k Guilliman too.

The dreads are all glued since the autocannons were converted. Unfortunately in 40k there is a strong chance though that autocannons may become a legends option only, so I may end up digging out the fist bits. I'll try to find a third plastic contemptor to either build with it's fist or double kheres

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Can I bring a Cerastus Knight Acheron as a War Machine Detachment in an Ultramarines army? Please show your work.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Beerdeer posted:

Can I bring a Cerastus Knight Acheron as a War Machine Detachment in an Ultramarines army? Please show your work.

Yes, per the FAQ

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What are the blood angels like for this dead rear end game? The terminators look rad.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

JBP posted:

What are the blood angels like for this dead rear end game? The terminators look rad.

The Terminators, rules-wise, are complete and utter dog-poo poo. Blood Angels, overall, are one of the more powerful legions right now, and their other two unique units (Dawnbreakers and Angels Tears), despite having no models, are extremely cool and good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Broken Record Talk posted:

The Terminators, rules-wise, are complete and utter dog-poo poo. Blood Angels, overall, are one of the more powerful legions right now, and their other two unique units (Dawnbreakers and Angels Tears), despite having no models, are extremely cool and good.

Man it's almost like forgeworld are trying their hardest not to sell models.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The terminators aren't great, but they're still better than phoenix terminators. :v:

They've got rending power swords that re-roll armor pen, funky -1S shields, Stubborn LD10, and built-in deep strike. Their sergeant is also two wounds with three attacks and has access to a blade of perdition which makes for a great mini centurion. The downsides are their built-in FNP only works in melee when they're outnumbered, they're limited to 5 models max, they're WS4, don't have Implacable Advance, and have weirdly expensive and limited powerfist options. They're meant to tie things up and hold ground, but they don't score outside of the Pride of the Legion RoW. Crimson Paladins are a weird unit that doesn't really accomplish their design goal, but you can see what they're going for. A couple of tweaks would probably fix them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have ten Phoenix terminators, I wish they'd changed them up alongside the palatines. The models are so pretty :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least the palatines got a good rework so there's some hope for phoenix terminators down the line. :unsmith: Hell, they managed to make destroyers an interesting unit worth taking.

It's odd we've seen nothing of the Angel's Tears and Dawnbreakers, but there also haven't been any FW preview events since WH Fest back in May. The White Scars are only missing one unit at this point, the Falcon's Claws, so they're doing pretty well barring their primarch and characters. You'd think the two thematic jump pack units for the jump pack legion would be a high priority, but it may be that their designs are more complicated than expected. The BA units released so far have been pretty ornate and both have some pretty unique wargear. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle the Dawnbreakers' twin anime swords or the Angel's Tears' flying assault cannons. We're also still waiting on this insane monstrosity:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

At least the palatines got a good rework so there's some hope for phoenix terminators down the line. :unsmith: Hell, they managed to make destroyers an interesting unit worth taking.

:unsmith: They are really good already. So many sweet buffs to sweeping advance and so on.

:smithicide:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I used to get a lot of sweeping advances and initiative bonuses with my EC but also I'm a loving strategic genius legend rather than a dumb fuckup like someone that should play iron warriors

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Whoops, meant to throw these up over the weekend but me and Zasze played some Auxilia v Auxilia ZM last Thursday. Cyclops demolition vehicles are a ton of fun.

Run silent, run deep

Ogryn were bonkers against another aux army!

Good times were had. Space marines BTFO HH.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Last summer I did a Heresy narrative event with a friend's army and had a really good time, so in preparation for next year I want to build my own army to take. I'm still looking over legion rules and rites of war to get a feel for what I want to do, but I had a question about entry points. With Calth and Prospero being out of print, are there any good starter bundles for a new player to jump in, or should I just keep refreshing eBay until the Calth box pops up for a reasonable price?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SpaceViking posted:

Last summer I did a Heresy narrative event with a friend's army and had a really good time, so in preparation for next year I want to build my own army to take. I'm still looking over legion rules and rites of war to get a feel for what I want to do, but I had a question about entry points. With Calth and Prospero being out of print, are there any good starter bundles for a new player to jump in, or should I just keep refreshing eBay until the Calth box pops up for a reasonable price?

There is nothing, sadly. Refreshing eBay for plastics is your best bet but most of the cheap plastic is in the past now that the supply of boxes to split has dried up. It sucks so much.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SpaceViking posted:

3d Printing is the way to go for heresy boys

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 8, 2019

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I am still desperately waiting for the Mk 1 Saturnine Terminator armor to show up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

goodness posted:

3d Printing is the way to go for heresy boys

I feel like there are things you can do before resorting to this :shobon:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

TTerrible posted:

I feel like there are things you can do before resorting to this :shobon:

I mean, the tonks look good, but the infantry is dog poo poo

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

They’re for Epic scale, not 28mm. I’d recognise those dong bikes anywhere.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ijyt posted:

They’re for Epic scale, not 28mm. I’d recognise those dong bikes anywhere.

What kind of idiots would double down on dead games by playing 30k in Epic scale :laffo:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dong bikes own I've got three I never did for my EC and I wish I could use them as relics in 40k

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JBP posted:

Dong bikes own I've got three I never did for my EC and I wish I could use them as relics in 40k

I'm sure Primaris will inevitably get jetbikes and you can do something with them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TTerrible posted:

I'm sure Primaris will inevitably get jetbikes and you can do something with them.

I will make them surf on dong platforms

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

JcDent posted:

I mean, the tonks look good, but the infantry is dog poo poo

Yeah those are for epic, though there is someone working on an MK2 builder. Needs some smoothing but they look decent, has 5-6 heads/legs/arm options

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I am still desperately waiting for the Mk 1 Saturnine Terminator armor to show up.

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 8, 2019

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

goodness posted:

Yeah those are for epic, though there is someone working on an MK2 builder. Needs some smoothing but they look decent, has 5-6 heads/legs/arm options

!!! Be still my top mounted heavy bolter shaped heart!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

TTerrible posted:

What kind of idiots would double down on dead games by playing 30k in Epic scale :laffo:

It's me, I'm the Dead Gay Warmaster

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd love to see Inquisitor in 54mm but also set in 30k.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
stompy boi

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looks great man

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Looking for advice. My lady is finally showing interest in some miniature games and digs the look of these models.
She is interested in Alpha Legion or Thousand Sons
I REALLY dig the look of the Grey Slayers of the Space Wolves and the Dark Angels or Ultramarines(never thought I'd ever feel that way about the smurfs). Imperial Fist are always sexy
(I also dig the Word bearers but don't think we should both be traitors)

Would any combo of the ones we like be completely broken against the other?

The plan was to start with Zone Mortalis, as it plays well at smaller points?, and expand from there

I know that the Battle Of Carth has been out of print for ages, so what is the best way to get the models to get started?

Which books do we need? I know there is a $50 book that has the army list crammed in the LEGIONES ASTARTES: AGE OF DARKNESS ARMY LIST
What else do I need besides that?

Thank you

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for advice. My lady is finally showing interest in some miniature games and digs the look of these models.
She is interested in Alpha Legion or Thousand Sons
I REALLY dig the look of the Grey Slayers of the Space Wolves and the Dark Angels or Ultramarines(never thought I'd ever feel that way about the smurfs). Imperial Fist are always sexy
(I also dig the Word bearers but don't think we should both be traitors)

The plan was to start with Zone Mortalis, as it plays well at smaller points?, and expand from there

I know that the Battle Of Carth has been out of print for ages, so what is the best way to get the models to get started?

Which books do we need? I know there is a $50 book that has the army list crammed in the LEGIONES ASTARTES: AGE OF DARKNESS ARMY LIST
What else do I need besides that?

Thank you

With regards to books, The Horus Heresy was originally built on the Warhammer 40k 6th and 7th editions, so you could play it using the 40k rulebook. 8th is different enough that this won't work, so FW put out the Horus Heresy Age of Darkness Rulebook... or, I believe you could go on using your 7th edition 40k rulebook if you have one. For army lists, there's two main books for Space Marines, the Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List, which covers all the generic units every Legion can field, and then Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Legions, which covers the Legion-specific Rites of War and units for the Alpha Legion, Death Guard, Emperor's Children, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Raven Guard, Salamanders, Sons of Horus, Ultramarines, Word Bearers, and World Eaters...

...but not the Thousand Sons or Space Wolves, because they're newer than that and show up in The Horus Heresy Book Seven: Inferno, and not the Blood Angels or White Scars because their rules are only in The Horus Heresy Book Eight: Malevolence, and not the Dark Angels either because they're not out yet.

(And then there's two more army list books for the Mechanicum and Solar Auxilia but if you and she both want to do Space Marines they're probably not necessary.)

So if she wants Alpha Legion you need Age of Darkness Army List and Age of Darkness Legions, but if she wants Thousand Sons you'll need Army List + Inferno, in which case you will also probably still need Age of Darkness Legions unless you want to go Space Wolves, and it's up to you whether you want to try to run it using an old 40k 7th edition rulebook or whether you want to use the Age of Darkness Rulebook. The good news is, if you're really into Grey Slayers Space Wolves and she really likes Thousand Sons, then the book you need for the army-specific units for both of those armies is not only just one book and full of delicious art and lore, it's also optimized for running scenarios where those two forces fight each other because it's all about the Burning of Prospero.

As for what's the best way to start... probably some boxes of either Mark III or Mark IV Space Marines purchased from a store that does decent discounts? And from there, the grim darkness of ForgeWorld's resin. Or luck out and find a copy of Burning of Prospero tucked away in the back of some shop. I think FW even mentioned at a con recently that there's no current easy jumping on point for Horus Heresy and it's a problem. The further good news if you like lore compliance is that the MkIIIs are both a) the models that came with Burning of Prospero, and b) the models that are still available in shops and not a GW web-exclusive and which you ought to therefore be able to find at a discount.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 17, 2019

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Tiny Chalupa posted:

If you stick to the space marine legions, thousand sons are probably the only one that can be broken, and even then, only if you spam their best unit, the Sekmet Terminators. I’d also avoid the typhon siege tank. It’s known as “the friend maker” for a reason.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Stephenls posted:

As for what's the best way to start... probably some boxes of either Mark III or Mark IV Space Marines purchased from a store that does decent discounts? And from there, the grim darkness of ForgeWorld's resin. Or luck out and find a copy of Burning of Prospero tucked away in the back of some shop. I think FW even mentioned at a con recently that there's no current easy jumping on point for Horus Heresy and it's a problem. The further good news if you like lore compliance is that the MkIIIs are both a) the models that came with Burning of Prospero, and b) the models that are still available in shops and not a GW web-exclusive and which you ought to therefore be able to find at a discount.

To expand on this: you probably want to play Zone Mortalis with the Chosen Duty Rite of War. RoWs are the funky templates that apply additional bonuses and requirements on the traditional detachment rules. Chosen Duty makes Veteran Tactical troops, which is great because
1) Tactical Marines, the usual cheap option for your mandatory Troop slots are bolters-only, which makes them boring and inflexible
2) Unlike all other Legions, wolves treat Tacs as support options, using their snowflake Grey Slayers to take their place. Which would be fine if not for the fact that Grey Slayers are a resin upgrade with the infamous AWUUU pattern bolters.
3) Unlike regular Tacs (Taxticals), Veterans can take special weapons and can choose one of five specializations to make them suited for a single role. After the last balancing, it's no longer The One Correct Choice And Four Others That Just Fill The Space.

Basically everything that could be seen in Calth/Prospero can be now bought on GW, though I'd advise against the Contemptor because of its godawful pose.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
As far as Legion selection goes, the Alpha Legion had a major campaign harassing the Space Wolves, so that might be a fun choice.

JcDent posted:

2) Unlike all other Legions, wolves treat Tacs as support options, using their snowflake Grey Slayers to take their place. Which would be fine if not for the fact that Grey Slayers are a resin upgrade with the infamous AWUUU pattern bolters.

For what it's worth, most of the Grey Slayers I see online either use limited parts of or entirely eschew that upgrade set. Plastic chainswords and shields are pretty easy to come by.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Taxticals
Did you just unironically use "taxticals"? Boring and inflexible, my rear end. Tactical squads rule and are a big part of what makes 30k what it is. Fury of the Legion is the best rule in the game. Fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Did you just unironically use "taxticals"? Boring and inflexible, my rear end. Tactical squads rule and are a big part of what makes 30k what it is. Fury of the Legion is the best rule in the game. Fight me.

The tax is painting them.