Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ShutteredIn posted:

Trump has severe brainworms.

Parasites are a likely factor in his mental deficiency (but they're not forcing him to be a bad president).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Serrath posted:

I’m an actual physician and I can assure you that there is pretty much 0 evidence that he has either. Syphilis would have needed to go untreated for decades to reach the tertiary stage and you’d see a whole heap of other symptoms and Huntington’s presents younger, with a much stronger genetic history, and you’d also see a whole heap of other symptoms

I’ve posted about trumps mental health before on this thread, I don’t want to annoy people by repeating myself but throwing around big labels like syphilis or dementia draws focus away from very plausible explanations that he’s a narcissist and an rear end in a top hat. I acknowledge that he’s an <exceptional> narcissist and rear end in a top hat and I can see why it’s tempting to find extraordinary explanations for his behavior using more obscure pathologies. But unexceptional people also don’t get elected president...

I'm not a mental health provider but I have been calling Trump an obvious narcissist since the day of the escalator based on my experiences with a narcissistic parent.

Trump is pretty much the most obvious/exaggerated case of NPD in the history of the human race, but he also did have a certain kind of genius in making himself the center of attention when he wanted to be, and ducking away from attention that he didn't want using a combination of wealth and ruthlessness.

Trump achieved the ultimate dream of the narcissist, he clawed his way to a position of power where he could force literally the entire world to pay attention to his every sneeze and cough. But like an Icarus made of pure ID he has flown too close to the Sun, and he is taking us all on a ride as he plummets to the ground.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Calibanibal posted:

Trump very likely has Huntington's disease. But who cares? That's not why he's a bad person.

God drat it Calibanibal, I demand an av rollback!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Serrath posted:

I’d argue the following
1 - personality factors can become more exaggerated with age via normal age related cognitive change
2 - Trump has been refining a combination of messages and characteristics for decades until he stumbled upon a set of qualities that have resulted in his success
3 - he was this crazy in the 90s. Look at the letter he wrote about the Central Park 5, what was written about him in his ex wife’s autobiography, the way he would call newspapers pretending to a source for his business and “leak” flattering stories about himself, his stern interview on 9/11

He’s the same guy, you can draw a straight line from 90s trump to 2019 trump

It's not just the stupid rear end in a top hat nature of how he talks it's poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUPsNgmXR7M

that happens more and more and is visibly getting worse

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

Trump achieved the ultimate dream of the narcissist, he clawed his way to a position of power where he could force literally the entire world to pay attention to his every sneeze and cough. But like an Icarus made of pure ID he has flown too close to the Sun, and he is taking us all on a ride as he plummets to the ground.

Idcarus. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Serrath posted:

3 - he was this crazy in the 90s. Look at the letter he wrote about the Central Park 5, what was written about him in his ex wife’s autobiography, the way he would call newspapers pretending to a source for his business and “leak” flattering stories about himself, his stern interview on 9/11

i think its also people didn't care enough back than. like back in the 90s, he was just a douchbag celebrity who would do weird stupid poo poo and was on the tv and a symbol of various lovely poo poo in our culture. no one than thought trump would ever go anywhere of REAL importance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtparSnQhFc

anyway.

i think like you said, age and privledge has melded his persona and his true dickhead self together into some eldritch level of stupidity and narcissism.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 17, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I think we've heard enough speculation on what the exact causes of the president's severe case of stupid assholitis are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone else stumble upon Trump references in older TV shows? It’s just the weirdest loving thing. Like I was rewatching Veronica Mars a little while back and in an episode from like 2005 and they had a Trump name drop. And The Office had a bunch of Trump references in its early run since it was on NBC with The Apprentice.

It’s just so uncomfortable and I’m dreading that scene in Home Alone 2 this upcoming Holiday Season.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thinking on it how much money would you give to watch Trump just tumble down the stairs and eat poo poo while disembarking Air Force 1? I’d chip in $100 easily.

Nah, I don't want him to be physically hurt and/or frightened, given how apprehensive he appears about stairs. I just don't want him to be able to hurt anybody anymore.

EDIT: Just saw the mod post, better to be safe than sorry!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone else stumble upon Trump references in older TV shows? It’s just the weirdest loving thing. Like I was rewatching Veronica Mars a little while back and in an episode from like 2005 and they had a Trump name drop. And The Office had a bunch of Trump references in its early run since it was on NBC with The Apprentice.

It’s just so uncomfortable and I’m dreading that scene in Home Alone 2 this upcoming Holiday Season.

i find them somewhat interesting because those jokes are funnier than any of the poo poo anyone tries now a days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1YxjBEG0ig

like its dumb but its better than SNLs bullshit. it just paints him as he is, a stupid rear end in a top hat who steps on everyone.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s just so uncomfortable

The roast of Trump in 2011 is even worse because one of the big topics of the roast is that "this moron wants to become president"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1184642427610718209

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not a mental health provider but I have been calling Trump an obvious narcissist since the day of the escalator based on my experiences with a narcissistic parent.

I don’t think there’s any argument that he has narcissism. Applying a diagnosis is a bit trickier; you’ll see a debate within the mental health literature between psychiatrists on both sides as to whether or not NPD applies

I’ve posted before about this but my approach to diagnostics tends to land on the side of what would advise treatment or further intervention. When a diagnosis won’t change anything about your approach, it has no clinical utility not achieved by simply calling it narcissism (the quality). I don’t think trump reaches the threshold for impairment required to apply it as a diagnostic label.

A lot of words by a lot of very reputable professionals have been written on this subject, though, and I certainly do understand the arguments about using diagnostic labels. The debate ends up being less about trump, though, and more about the philosophies of diagnostics in general. I think psychiatric diagnoses should be used only in the limited sphere of advising treatment and intervention, not to providing explanations for the behavior of assholes on the street who haven’t been subject to clinical investigation

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Serrath posted:

I’d argue the following
1 - personality factors can become more exaggerated with age via normal age related cognitive change
2 - Trump has been refining a combination of messages and characteristics for decades until he stumbled upon a set of qualities that have resulted in his success

I see this constantly with dementia patients and even just age-related cerebral atrophy. Pleasant people become super pleasantly confused and happy. Assholes become megadicks. Sometimes the opposite happens because of loss of inhibition but usually not. I watched an interview Trump did with Larry King from the 80s or early 90s and he talked almost exactly the way he does now, unfocused and tangential, lots of confabulation and word salad garbage.

The guy has always had below-normal-limits attention and intelligence. I think something is wrong with him at baseline but it's really just supposition.

Edit: Just saw the mod post, I'll hop off the derail train. :ohdear:

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 17, 2019

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Ice Phisherman posted:

For those not in the know, Jack Prosobiec is the guy who spins conspiracy theories about Pizzagate and the supposed child sex trafficking rings. He's deep into that Q-Anon poo poo. Super deep.

He double majored in political science and broadcast journalism, eventually finding himself in the military as a junior grade lieutenant for navy intelligence where he served from 2010 to 2017. He resigned from his position in 2017 due to his support for Trump causing a "Toxic work environment". As of August, his security clearance was suspended.

He's basically a white nationalist, if not white supremacist, as he openly supports people like Richard Spencer, though he later deleted his supportive tweets and called him a scumbag. He hired neo-nazi brothers Jeffrey and Edward Clark for Seth Rich to make a movie called "The Rebel", which never happened. Seth Rich worked for the DNC and was murdered and right wing conspiracies tried to tie him to the Clintons. Finally, Prosobiec has tweeted about "white genocide" several times and is generally, in my opinion, a piece of poo poo who is a person who just can't stop lying. A pretty accomplished life for someone who is only 33.

He was also hilariously caught cheating on his wife on Bumble, then proceeded to make a bunch of awkward Tweets that could be distilled down to, "No really, we're together and still totally happy! She loves me!"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Serrath posted:

I don’t think there’s any argument that he has narcissism. Applying a diagnosis is a bit trickier; you’ll see a debate within the mental health literature between psychiatrists on both sides as to whether or not NPD applies

I’ve posted before about this but my approach to diagnostics tends to land on the side of what would advise treatment or further intervention. When a diagnosis won’t change anything about your approach, it has no clinical utility not achieved by simply calling it narcissism (the quality). I don’t think trump reaches the threshold for impairment required to apply it as a diagnostic label.

A lot of words by a lot of very reputable professionals have been written on this subject, though, and I certainly do understand the arguments about using diagnostic labels. The debate ends up being less about trump, though, and more about the philosophies of diagnostics in general. I think psychiatric diagnoses should be used only in the limited sphere of advising treatment and intervention, not to providing explanations for the behavior of assholes on the street who haven’t been subject to clinical investigation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEe7_zgZbuI

Edit: Might be time to reconsider hesitance when the fate of the world "might" be involved.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 17, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Blood is on your hands

https://mobile.twitter.com/PollaGarmiany/status/1184559890334978048

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalalmutar/status/1184605996410429441

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 17, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Serrath posted:

I can completely grant you that there is a real scientific debate to be had about whether or not he warrants a formal diagnosis, especially given the current criteria. That said, my understanding of narcissism is not academic, but rather practical/experiential. I was raised and homeschooled for five years by a narcissistic parent, I also spent several months as an adult living in a residential treatment facility with an individual who was a formally diagnosed narcissist and whom had some level of self-awareness of his condition*.

* this program was for treating individuals who could both document a significant mental illness and document chronic homelessness- and then there was a months long waiting list. As a result the population in this program self-selected very highly for mentally ill individuals who already had developed some level of self-awareness about their condition and possessed a real desire for self-improvement; because otherwise there was no way you were going to manage to both qualify for the program and manage to jump through all the hoops to get in.

Edit: just saw mod note, dropping topic

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Air-striking myself 2 own the libs

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

gently caress.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Serrath posted:

I’m an actual physician and I can assure you that there is pretty much 0 evidence that he has either. Syphilis would have needed to go untreated for decades to reach the tertiary stage and you’d see a whole heap of other symptoms and Huntington’s presents younger, with a much stronger genetic history, and you’d also see a whole heap of other symptoms

I’ve posted about trumps mental health before on this thread, I don’t want to annoy people by repeating myself but throwing around big labels like syphilis or dementia draws focus away from very plausible explanations that he’s a narcissist and an rear end in a top hat. I acknowledge that he’s an <exceptional> narcissist and rear end in a top hat and I can see why it’s tempting to find extraordinary explanations for his behavior using more obscure pathologies. But unexceptional people also don’t get elected president...

I think people want to attribute such characteristics/diagnosis to him because it's comforting. It makes it easy to go, "Oh he's got Huntington's and that's why he's such a terrible person." It's comforting in the same way that a person tells themself that on their drive to work the jerk who cut them off was trying to get to the hospital in a rush. Trump is possibly one of the worst humans to exist. It's hard for people to look upon that and accept that people can be that bad without a reason, but the measure of it is that some people are just that terrible, that cruel, that selfish.

Here's a credible rape accusation against Trump and Epstine from 1994. https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/ Ya know, 25 years ago before Huntington's or Syphilis would have done anything to his personality. That one never went to discovery though, so maybe it's not good enough for the swell posters of this forum. How about when he raped his wife in 1989? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_sexual_misconduct_allegations That would have been 30 years ago! Long before any disease could rot his brain.

I'm focusing on the rape aspects of Trump, but don't let that distract you. He's trash all around. I'm focusing on the rapes verses him screwing contractors out of their just due, avoiding taxes, his racism over the years, etc., etc., etc. because rape is easy to understand as bad. It's not easy for a normal person to accept just how bad a person he is. A decent percentage of people have empathy of some level or another and it's just befuddling how someone could be this bad. The worst part is that it's not just Trump. No, it's not just him, he has his followers too. That challenges the acceptance even further of how bad he is because then you have to accept how bad the people are who still support him. Now, we can say that some of those people are uninformed, some of those people are brainwashed, but you have to accept that some of those people know exactly what is going on and are just like Trump. They are just terrible people that walk out there in society and if they had an ounce of Trumps power they would have been the same person.

It's hard to swallow. The things like attributing it to dementia/Huntington's/Syphilis are what I refer to as conspiracies of the Left. If you have empathy it is hard to understand someone like Trump and you have to justify it for your brain to accept it.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Bizarro Watt posted:

He was also hilariously caught cheating on his wife on Bumble, then proceeded to make a bunch of awkward Tweets that could be distilled down to, "No really, we're together and still totally happy! She loves me!"

Doesn't he also feature said wife in a hilariously bad comic series about him? It's amazing how ubiquitous weird comics about political figures are becoming.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This is an example of what we are dealing with re: the GOP electorate.

I posted in a discussion thread (another forum) about Trump trying to spring "surprise visit/hug session with your son's killer" on the British couple who were meeting with him.

First a Trumper posted this, indicating they hadn't looked into the story at all:

then I asked if he'd bothered to read anything about it since this showed he had no idea what happened and the response:

quote:

The stories are false. They are always false.

Give it like 3 days, or maybe 5 (3 business days). The truth will come out and you'll already be on to your next manufactured hoax. I know its hard for people your age to keep track of things for so long, but this constant rabid frenzy is not good your health.

To which I posted embedded video of an extensive interview with the couple detailing exactly what happened, and asked him if they were liars.

He didn't answer and deflected thusly:

quote:

I'm saying its manufactured. All of it. Pretty sure that's what you said at the top of the thread, too.

(I'd said Trump had been trying to manufacture a photo op, not that the story was false)

Some more people piled on, leading to this deflection:

quote:

NOW you give a flying gently caress about victims of vehicular manslaughter?

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/05/knoxville-fire-captain-son-killed-illegal-immigrant/

https://www.dailywire.com/news/illegal-alien-kills-sheriffs-deputy-washington-josh-hammer

You're bankrupt. Keep sucking each other's dicks.

There's another guy who doesn't post actual posts, but just videos making fun of Hilary Clinton.

So arguing or debating with people like this is pointless. It's just endless gish gallop evasion, or frank trolling.

This story is the most straightforward unambiguous thing ever. The couple are either telling the truth or are liars. But righties won't read a story or watch a 5 minute video right in front of them or engage in any real exchange.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Ice Phisherman posted:

I haven't really seen any evidence that Trump would be schizophrenic. More likely abuse of drugs that he's doing would be more likely. I can't remember the name of what was in his cabinet recently, found by accident. Boxes and boxes of the UK variant of the drug. However, inability to sleep and paranoid delusions were common in those who are abusers.

Really wish I could remember the drug. It's amphetamine based if I recall correctly.

Rime posted:

Sudafed.
also propecia

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also, Huntington's is a movement disorder so, uh, maybe don't diagnose people with medical terms that are not understood, for a patient you haven't seen/examined?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Welp I wasn't gonna drink much more tonight, however :shepface:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id like to think its getting closer probably. thoses faces tell me they know shits getting bad.

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1184603735768666113

I see a bunch of old cowards who aren't gonna do poo poo.

They'll watch Trump execute someone in the Oval office while looking sad.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I re-watched Home Alone 2 last Christmas and I had forgotten that bloated fucker was in it. Ruined the rest of the movie for me.

Also yea Trump has always been a narcissistic rear end in a top hat but good god is he declining mentally and fast. Compare a speech of his from 2015-2016 to today. Just a few years ago he could string together a thought even if it was still word salad. Now he’s slurring his speech and lacks energy in general.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Zwabu posted:

Some more people piled on, leading to this deflection:

So arguing or debating with people like this is pointless. It's just endless gish gallop evasion, or frank trolling.

You did the right thing, and what it comes down to for me is that other people started joining in and discussing. At that point, don't address the people arguing in bad faith. Use what they say to exemplify how parties argue in bad faith and deflect instead of engaging with arguments. If the person you're arguing with is trying to score points off of you, hold them up as an example of what that looks like. They might not listen, but (hopefully) those overhearing the discussion will.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Earth posted:

I think people want to attribute such characteristics/diagnosis to him because it's comforting. It makes it easy to go, "Oh he's got Huntington's and that's why he's such a terrible person." It's comforting in the same way that a person tells themself that on their drive to work the jerk who cut them off was trying to get to the hospital in a rush. Trump is possibly one of the worst humans to exist. It's hard for people to look upon that and accept that people can be that bad without a reason, but the measure of it is that some people are just that terrible, that cruel, that selfish.

It's comforting because attributing illnesses to him means he's going to loving die soon, that's it. That's all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Zwabu posted:

This is an example of what we are dealing with re: the GOP electorate.

I've encountered the talismanic phrase "the truth will come out" as a rebuttal in the wild as well from time-to-time, and it's the most transparent bullshit someone can drum up in an argument. Never mind the fact that said truth never actually comes out at all, but the entire concept relies on this idea that they will win this argument... later. It's such a simple line, but so indicative of the dream logic that so many rightwingers view the administration with. To them it's an inevitability that Trump will be vindicated, even as he continues to Kool-Aid Man through more-and-more scandals each day. Don't think about today, buddy! It'll all workout tomorrow!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

I see a bunch of old cowards who aren't gonna do poo poo.

They'll watch Trump execute someone in the Oval office while looking sad.

that too.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I re-watched Home Alone 2 last Christmas and I had forgotten that bloated fucker was in it. Ruined the rest of the movie for me.

Also yea Trump has always been a narcissistic rear end in a top hat but good god is he declining mentally and fast. Compare a speech of his from 2015-2016 to today. Just a few years ago he could string together a thought even if it was still word salad. Now he’s slurring his speech and lacks energy in general.

part of me thinks its the stress of the presidency. i mean look how it ages people. doesn't help all he does is gently caress up and he is super disliked.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There’s a couple in Cheers that make me sad.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jesus.

The other disturbing bit from that news is this happened not in Syria, but Iraq.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So Donny released the summary of his perfect conversation with the Ukrainian President, handed out copies of the that insane letter to Erdogan, and has repeatedly tweeted pictures that make the Democrats look great in the batshit meltdown meeting.

So, where's the countdown clock to him releasing and audio recording, video recording, or another criminally implicating summary of his meeting about Syria to prove that he totally didn't melt down, you melted down?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Marine Iraq War veteran to be deported Tuesday to El Salvador
marinecorpstimes.com/1 day ago
"An Iraq War Marine veteran will be deported to El Salvador Tuesday ― a country he has not seen since he was 3 years old, his stepsister said."

For the first time, workers are paying a higher tax rate than investors and owners
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 16, 2019
"The proximate cause of the shift was Trump’s 2017 tax cut, which dramatically slashed taxes on corporate profits and estates"

The US Naval Academy Will Host Satanic Services, According to The Satanic Temple
patheos.com/October 13, 2019
"It would also be very amusing to see the USNA try to cohere a policy of selective exclusion against religious organizations that are involved with lobbying or religious liberty litigation. Most, if not all, major religious organizations would be barred from performing services. We have sent a letter to the USNA requesting that they correct the erroneous decision reported by their spokesperson. Below is our press release:"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

This happened in Iraq, not Syria

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gyges posted:

So Donny released the summary of his perfect conversation with the Ukrainian President, handed out copies of the that insane letter to Erdogan, and has repeatedly tweeted pictures that make the Democrats look great in the batshit meltdown meeting.

So, where's the countdown clock to him releasing and audio recording, video recording, or another criminally implicating summary of his meeting about Syria to prove that he totally didn't melt down, you melted down?

yeah. i mean i think he will do something crazier/stupider that will piss the GOP off even more. i am unsure what it could be, like i said upthread, maybe he will pull out of SK.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

What? Are we bombing our own bases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Kro-Bar posted:

What? Are we bombing our own bases?

Ya man haven't you ever hard of a tactical retreat?

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-bombed-its-anti-isis-headquarters-as-turkish-troops-advanced-2019-10