Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Many years ago, a poster on this subforum said they want to see buffs in a box formation laying waste before they die, and I still hold out a pipe dream that might come to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Arc Light posted:

Many years ago, a poster on this subforum said they want to see buffs in a box formation laying waste before they die, and I still hold out a pipe dream that might come to pass.

gently caress yesss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm5kv9PH4xA

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If anybody ever said happy boss day or gave me anything for it I would think lesser of them, and/or fire them.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Arms Control Wonk did a podcast on Monday which was surprisingly listenable despite the audio quality.

TAILKITS AND THE TURKS: US NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN TURKEY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

colachute posted:

He said the pkk is more of a terroristic threat than isis

I loving KNEW IT

e:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Odds we see him side with ISIS over the kurds

What do i win

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

Now this is definitely peak-dying administration, but they're not going to let it go.

He'll win reelection, hate to tell you

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Doc Hawkins posted:

grandpa, i told you, some of the kurds are communist, and they're not muslim

Not that it matters to anybody except maybe our obsolete racist grandpas, but I am fairly sure most Kurds are Muslims.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pkells posted:

What USAF aircraft are even certified to load those? Is it just the B-52’s and the B-2’s now? I know you could load those on any cargo aircraft, but could you conceivably strap them onto F-16 hard points to fly them out in an emergency?

Strictly speaking the tactical variant which I believe is what we're discussing at Incirlik is only authorized for delivery via F-16, F-15E, and Tornado. As of 2018 NNSA lists B-2 as the only strategic B61 delivery platform, leaving the B-52 without a nuclear gravity bomb mission for the first time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just set them off and call it done

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just load them up and get out of there. What are they gonna do, shoot down a couple of B-52s loaded to the brim with nukes over their own territory?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

https://youtu.be/5xO3lYa1bEc

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

word is floating around that justice dept tried to file a grand jury indictment against andrew mccabe and it might have failed. maybe.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Internet Wizard posted:

Just set them off and call it done

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Eej posted:

Just load them up and get out of there. What are they gonna do, shoot down a couple of B-52s loaded to the brim with nukes over their own territory?

We're more diplomatically stuck than militarily. We don't want the nukes there, but removing them would be seen as a sign we were turning on a fellow NATO country.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w&t=97s

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Loden Taylor posted:

We're more diplomatically stuck than militarily. We don't want the nukes there, but removing them would be seen as a sign we were turning on a fellow NATO country.

So Trump's gonna do it tomorrow then.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

He'll probably announce he made a deal where we give Turkey the nukes in exchange for them fighting ISIS as long as they also pinky swear that they won't just bomb the Kurds and call it a day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Loden Taylor posted:

He'll probably announce he made a deal where we give Turkey the nukes in exchange for them fighting ISIS as long as they also pinky swear that they won't just bomb the Kurds and call it a day.

Stop giving him ideas

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think the nuke panic (short term) is way overblown.

Turkey hasn’t even oopsed and hit a US mil member with errant mortar fire or anything, and that would be less of a big deal than just stealing or holding hostage nukes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I got to see a B-52 fly a thousand feet below our E-3. They look ghostly in flight. Long, spindly body, and those enormous wings.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

Turkey hasn’t even oopsed and hit a US mil member with errant mortar fire or anything, and that would be less of a big deal than just stealing or holding hostage nukes.

But it would make for a decent Jason Staham movie plot.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Without going into details, the Turks have American blood on their hands and it wasn't an oopsie.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
:nsamad:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Didnt they miss a kurd position and hit the us base a kilometer behind the kurd position and injured some us troops? Like the day after trump said gently caress the kurds?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

It is, but like I said, it's less a matter of security and more of an issue of keeping up the veneer of good US - Turkey relations. Pulling the nukes out would send the message that we don't trust Turkey, we don't value them as a strategic partner, and that we may be preparing to take on a more adversarial stance towards them.

Which is where my realpolitik understanding breaks down because seriously, gently caress Turkey, why do we need them in the first place?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There was an “incident” when they first started operations that the Pentagon has said was intentional bracketing fire to keep the American forces from moving to support anybody.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stravag posted:

Didnt they miss a kurd position amd hit the us base a kilometer behind the kurd position amd injured some us troops?

No. There were unsubstantiated reports to that effect which DOD spokes discounted. Indirect fire uncomfortably close to CF forces that resulted in movement of US forces? Yes, that was confirmed by DOD.

Pentagon officially did not call it bracketing. Some unnamed sources referred to it as bracketing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Getting owned by the turks to own the libs

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
By the way, if you squint really, really hard, you can see the early signs of a mattering here.

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1184640771330396160

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/10/16/politics/us-airstrike-storage-site-syria/index.html

RIP LCF

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

By the way, if you squint really, really hard, you can see the early signs of a mattering here.

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1184640771330396160

McConnell is starting to eyeball the emergency exits.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

Other US officials have accused the irregular Turkish forces, referred to by the US as Turkish Supported Opposition, of carrying out possible war crimes and threatening US troops in the area, with one senior administration official referring to them as "thugs and bandits and pirates that should be wiped off the face of the earth."

Oh, goodie...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BigDave posted:

McConnell is starting to eyeball the emergency exits.
He made some tough statements today about how he was ready to push back on Donnie for his Turkey stance, if need be. Of course he also had that prank phonecall earlier in the week where he bent over for a guy he thought was a Turkish defense minister.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thought that was Graham

Maybe both got pranked?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Thought that was Graham

Maybe both got pranked?
Oops, reading comprehension. But yeah, Little Lindsay said some thinks about how he might stand up to Donnie on Turkey.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Loden Taylor posted:

It is, but like I said, it's less a matter of security and more of an issue of keeping up the veneer of good US - Turkey relations. Pulling the nukes out would send the message that we don't trust Turkey, we don't value them as a strategic partner, and that we may be preparing to take on a more adversarial stance towards them.

Which is where my realpolitik understanding breaks down because seriously, gently caress Turkey, why do we need them in the first place?

Agreed, gently caress Turkey. Buncha jerks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Nah.

He'll figure out a third, even dumber thing to do.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Stravag posted:

Oh, goodie...

Hail SS-18 I want to see another Battle of Khasham

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/towersight/status/1184228740659908610

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eej posted:

Interesting you should bring that up, and another reason why everybody should read Command and Control. Old-timey nukes were actually pretty prone to full or partial (fizzle) detonation in conditions like fires and plane crashes. Many improvements were made since then. I imagine shooting down a loaded BUFF may net you at least one slightly banged-up secondhand tactical nuclear weapon. Bring a backhoe. And lead undies.