Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

A cold war game would be baller as hell. Just do proxy wars until you get bored and then nuke everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Jesus christ who the hell developed that mobile game? That is absurdly blatant, their artist must be getting loving chewed out right now

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
If it is the artist. Some get explicitly asked to rip off stuff. I've seen big companies that have entire floors operating on pirated copies of 3D Studio Max/Photoshop/what have you. The companies that give a gently caress are very few and far between.

Unionise the industry. Death to the pig lords. Strike for better work conditions. Strike for a company that puts its workers before its shareholders.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

StarMinstrel posted:

If it is the artist. Some get explicitly asked to rip off stuff. I've seen big companies that have entire floors operating on pirated copies of 3D Studio Max/Photoshop/what have you.

Yeah the artist is still the one who will take the fall, regardless.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh definitely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a chinese company so they'll just shrug at getting caught, not really understand why its a big deal, and make sure to steal from less known domestic sources next time.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Once a mobile game development company which I forked for transitioned from porting Java ME games (changing them to work on particular phone models without issues) into coding their own. The lead developer of one of the projects stole and reskinned the entire codebase of another game. How did he manage to do that? Well, the stolen code came from a game which the company was supposed to port for someone else.

This moron royally hosed this up by not purging the assets diligently enough. They sent their customer a development copy with the icon of the stolen game. Fortunately for them, nothing happened, the customer just told them they sent the wrong game.

The same company once billed their customer for four developers and reassigned one of them to another project in the middle. We had to pretend he's still working on the game when talking to the client.

Edit: The company was French.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

It's fine. All clear.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Can't believe that this got through Paradox Quality Control but not War in the Straits.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

This moron royally hosed this up by not purging the assets diligently enough. They sent their customer a development copy with the icon of the stolen game. Fortunately for them, nothing happened, the customer just told them they sent the wrong game.

Average Bear posted:

It's fine. All clear.

:thunk:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Average Bear posted:

It's fine. All clear.

The Kotaku article has picks of both games.

Even down to *SUPER BOOST*

:lol:

Paradox, fire whoever greenlit this garbage as remotely acceptable.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol looking pretty dang clone-like to me!

I'm sure the official Paradox Sassy Tweet Guy has a hot zinger coming about the totally deep and meaningful distinctions between these games.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fintilgin posted:

Totally not a reskin

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Well in Paradox's defense, Activision-Blizzard did it for the Diablo phone game and no one minded! Why should it be different for them?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

StarMinstrel posted:

Well in Paradox's defense, Activision-Blizzard did it for the Diablo phone game and no one minded! Why should it be different for them?

Except they did? That phone started the long and grinding decline of public opinion towards Blizzard that's still ongoing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Again, they don't give a gently caress what any of us think of their game, if it's a re-skin or not, what we think of pay-to-win, none of that. The only thing they care about is the profit from mobile games. If company reputation effected the bottom line, mobile games wouldn't exist in their current form at all.

A publicly owned company does not find the choice between having a good reputation while making reasonable profits vs having a garbage reputation but making disgusting profits a hard choice to make.

Also a publicly owned company will never not make dumb short term decisions. Maybe if they keep doing poo poo like this it will hurt them after 10 years and you could show some stats and graphs that prove by tanking their reputation and PC gaming side of things it ended up not being compensated by the profits from the mobile side of things, but that's 10 years from now, that's some other CEO and board of director's problem to deal with.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 16, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eimi posted:

Except they did? That phone started the long and grinding decline of public opinion towards Blizzard that's still ongoing.
Whoosh

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Fintilgin posted:

"We should probably change the terminology at the very least, right?"

"THERE'S NO TIME. Mirror flip the mustached man and give him a remove his cyborg eye, then ship it!!"

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 16, 2019

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I'm gonna assume that my Iphone 3 can run StellarisMobil™ late-game perfectly well.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ok, does anyone else get that uncanny valley effect from mobile games? It feels like they were made by aliens with a rough outline of how humans behave. Plus the game is mining crypto and sending your contacts to the Chinese government

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Average Bear posted:

Ok, does anyone else get that uncanny valley effect from mobile games? It feels like they were made by aliens with a rough outline of how humans behave. Plus the game is mining crypto and sending your contacts to the Chinese government

A lot of them follow a template that's been refined over the years where the primary goal is encouraging addiction rather than actually providing entertainment, so yeah the design is very orthogonal to what people tend to consider "good games".

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Eimi posted:

:thejoke:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Can't wait to pay Premium Gold Ducats so I can SUPER BOOST my dyson sphere.

I legit wonder if the jokes mocking loot boxes in Megacorp were a dev reaction to the internal announcement of this uh.... 'game'.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wow, 200 new posts in the Paradox thread! I wonder wha--

Oh.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

Wow, 200 new posts in the Paradox thread! I wonder wha--

Oh.

Do you guys not have phones?

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Baronjutter posted:

Again, they don't give a gently caress what any of us think of their game, if it's a re-skin or not, what we think of pay-to-win, none of that. The only thing they care about is the profit from mobile games. If company reputation effected the bottom line, mobile games wouldn't exist in their current form at all.

A publicly owned company does not find the choice between having a good reputation while making reasonable profits vs having a garbage reputation but making disgusting profits a hard choice to make.

Also a publicly owned company will never not make dumb short term decisions. Maybe if they keep doing poo poo like this it will hurt them after 10 years and you could show some stats and graphs that prove by tanking their reputation and PC gaming side of things it ended up not being compensated by the profits from the mobile side of things, but that's 10 years from now, that's some other CEO and board of director's problem to deal with.

I don't agree, at least not in the case of Paradox.

Paradox is financially extremely healthy, and has been for years. I don't see any pressure from share holders to go for toxic short term gains. I have been following their financial reports for years.

Their main concern is building a long term portfolio, while they are growing steadily. They have the cash flow to grow without looking for new capital. Their bottleneck is not money, but good content.

This Hong-Kong disaster resulted from naive Swedish expectations more than from greedy capitalism. Paradox owns brands in their games, and the idea to monetize that brand with some mobile trash on the side was not that bad in principle. Low profile, introduction kept apart from PDXcon, just expected some income from the licence.

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't like it either but there is nearly no downside to cheaply making GBS threads out an imported phone game and fishing for whales. Zero upkeep, zero overhead, free money. You get us nerds mildly upset about it but we will probably forget next week.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm not even upset rn, this crash and burn cycle was more entertainment than I could've expected out of the actual game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Average Bear posted:

I don't like it either but there is nearly no downside to cheaply making GBS threads out an imported phone game and fishing for whales. Zero upkeep, zero overhead, free money. You get us nerds mildly upset about it but we will probably forget next week.

there is though because they're gonna end up transitioning to it because its cheaper for more returns

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This is the inevitable conclusion of game development under capitalism. Just try to enjoy good games while we still have them

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
drat

there are some heavy handed takes to a mobile game existing

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Gamerofthegame posted:

drat

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

drat

More of an observation of a general trend.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Mobile games.

They bad.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

drat

Silence liberal

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

VostokProgram posted:

This is the inevitable conclusion of game development under capitalism. Just try to enjoy good games while we still have them

What wondrous sort of games shall we expect under glorious future communism, though?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Disco Elysium and diesel railcar simulator

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DrSunshine posted:

What wondrous sort of games shall we expect under glorious future communism, though?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/784150/Workers__Resources_Soviet_Republic/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

None because climate change will kill us all before then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

I don't agree, at least not in the case of Paradox.

Paradox is financially extremely healthy, and has been for years. I don't see any pressure from share holders to go for toxic short term gains. I have been following their financial reports for years.

Their main concern is building a long term portfolio, while they are growing steadily. They have the cash flow to grow without looking for new capital. Their bottleneck is not money, but good content.

alright this is just your fantasy, shareholders dont think like you or me

this poo poo will only get worse, and the only thing for us to do is accept it and move on to other games