Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

And it has been the subject of alien conspiracies since the very first pictures appeared in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Avrocar! It turned out to be ridiculously unstable at any regime outside of low-speed ground effect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to believe that the DoD ordered it just to gently caress with conspiracy theorists.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I was actually thinking of this contraption: the Hiller Model 1031-A-1 Flying Platform.

Less extraterrestrial, but endearingly deranged.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Holy poo poo. I get where they were coming from but once they got to the model stage someone should have pointed out that it was a dumb loving idea.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.

Captain von Trapp posted:

I was actually thinking of this contraption: the Hiller Model 1031-A-1 Flying Platform.

Less extraterrestrial, but endearingly deranged.

Didn't those platforms start uncontrollably getting higher and higher into the sky when firing a rifle?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/NuclearAnthro/status/867852179691814912

I hope the replacement is as reliable - I mean, I assume that's why they stuck with 8" floppies for this long.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Memento posted:

I hope the replacement is as reliable - I mean, I assume that's why they stuck with 8" floppies for this long.

:lol:

Ask Godholio why the AF has stuck with such outdated computer systems, and if there are any other examples of this.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Blistex posted:

Ask Godholio why the AF has stuck with such outdated computer systems, and if there are any other examples of this.

Aren't the f22s software coded in a dead language and most aircraft regardless of age running chips from the 80s at latest?

It wasn't that long ago that b52s were using reel to reel tapes for some on flight computer functions and relatively recently replaced with an emulator that functions the same way.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Blistex posted:

Godholio seems like a cool dude dont make him suffer by reliving that kinda thing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blistex posted:

Hah, yeah, that wasn't exactly a serious post on my part.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Stravag posted:

Godholio seems like a cool dude dont make him suffer by reliving that kinda thing

Best was his story of flying in an AWACS and seeing a part number from one that crashed in Alaska.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Blistex posted:

Best was his story of flying in an AWACS and seeing a part number from one that crashed in Alaska.

That was a bit odd.

The E-3 fleet is gradually having it's 1960s-vintage mission computer replaced, so that's good. It's like a 10 year process though.

Carth Dookie posted:

It wasn't that long ago that b52s were using reel to reel tapes for some on flight computer functions and relatively recently replaced with an emulator that functions the same way.

That was ~1998 on AWACS, from what I was told by a guy I knew in ABM training who was a prior CDMT (airborne computer tech).

TK-42-1 posted:

Holy poo poo. I get where they were coming from but once they got to the model stage someone should have pointed out that it was a dumb loving idea.

It's a convertible helicopter.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 17, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Carth Dookie posted:

Aren't the f22s software coded in a dead language and most aircraft regardless of age running chips from the 80s at latest?

Ada isn't a dead language. They moved to C++ for the F-35 and that has been a source of problems.

As for chips, you've gotta run with what the programs were written for, otherwise you have to update the code to the new architecture, recompile everything, and then recertify everything. Unless you're like the French and make your programs run in a VM so you can change the hardware without affecting the software beyond the VM itself.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love that the F-35 is running on the same language as Dwarf Fortress

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cat Mattress posted:

Ada isn't a dead language. They moved to C++ for the F-35 and that has been a source of problems.

As for chips, you've gotta run with what the programs were written for, otherwise you have to update the code to the new architecture, recompile everything, and then recertify everything. Unless you're like the French and make your programs run in a VM so you can change the hardware without affecting the software beyond the VM itself.

I worked for a very large company on a program of record with 600+ people. The program carried carried schedule risks because only senior software engineers knew Ada. All the Level 1-2 Engineers had 0 experience with it and it was difficult to find good training for.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Moving to C++ from Ada is probably a very smart move. At this point I'm betting there is enough tooling out there for C++ that you can probably get a lot of the guarantees Ada gives you, if you want. But I've never used Ada.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hauldren Collider posted:

Moving to C++ from Ada is probably a very smart move. At this point I'm betting there is enough tooling out there for C++ that you can probably get a lot of the guarantees Ada gives you, if you want. But I've never used Ada.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see C++ number one on any list of “most bugs introduced per unit of time” for mainstream languages.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Reuters has a non-story on China Naval Capacity

That story is "They are building a big naval shipyard for the construction of large naval ships."

Also the well nigh apocalyptic revelation that China intends on building more than one aircraft carrier

It's very weird

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

Reuters has a non-story on China Naval Capacity

That story is "They are building a big naval shipyard for the construction of large naval ships."

Also the well nigh apocalyptic revelation that China intends on building more than one aircraft carrier

It's very weird

Fear mongering drives clicks.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Captain Log posted:

Didn't those platforms start uncontrollably getting higher and higher into the sky when firing a rifle?

I'm pretty sure this crazy project was a (relatively) more sane replacement for their crazy jetpack infantry project. Because as bad as that thing is, it's still more stable and more easily controlled than an early 50s jetpack.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Raenir Salazar posted:

Fear mongering drives clicks.

The National Interest is proof of that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blistex posted:

The National Interest is proof of that.

Wait you mean China isn't full of stealth armored supersoldiers hypersonically deployed from advanced heli-carriers?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That Works posted:

Wait you mean China isn't full of stealth armored supersoldiers hypersonically deployed from advanced heli-carriers?

We can't allow a stealth supersoldier helicarrier gap!

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
What ever happened to the F-15X? I remember people here saying it was definitely going to happen and I don't see any news about it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

What ever happened to the F-15X? I remember people here saying it was definitely going to happen and I don't see any news about it.

I'm curious about this too, though I think "definitely" may be too strong a word for it - it was something like a funding request for eight planes maybe?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
I think Congress is still hashing out the 2020 NDAA, which will allocate the money for buying F-15EX prototypes. Last I read, the House version only authorizes 2 of them, down from the 8 the Air Force originally wanted. Dunno about the Senate version.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CIGNX posted:

I think Congress is still hashing out the 2020 NDAA, which will allocate the money for buying F-15EX prototypes. Last I read, the House version only authorizes 2 of them, down from the 8 the Air Force originally wanted. Dunno about the Senate version.

Yeah, the NDAA is in conference right now looking to hammer out a compromise bill between the House and Senate versions.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Do the AWACS computers still have magnetic core memory or did they finally get the space shuttle upgrade?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The oldest variant of the E-2C still in operation uses the same computer-emulating-a-tape-drive setup as the old AWACS.

Plus the operator interface is like something straight out of the Apollo era.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

THE MOST ADVANCED MILITARY IN THE WORLD

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CIGNX posted:

I thought the USAF didn't even want those 8?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever F-15Xes are bought, they'll be AFTC birds and/or nothing but toys for Generals and an x-factor during exercises?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Uhhh what 'tooling' do you have in mind here exactly

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

Do the AWACS computers still have magnetic core memory or did they finally get the space shuttle upgrade?

The Block 30/35 (E-3B/C) jets have the same system they got in the 90s to emulate the reel-to-reel hardware. I don't know if that's what you're talking about or not. The 40/45 (E-3G) is using a COTS Windows-based system, so I assume it's a loving stack of 5.25" floppies a platter HDD system.

Edit: The 30/35 computer is programmed in JOVIAL I think.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Depends who you talk to. The two camps I've seen are basically "A step not forward is a step backwards" and "Our planes are literally falling apart please do something, anything! And also more missiles on a plane would be really loving nice."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 19, 2019

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Uhhh what 'tooling' do you have in mind here exactly

Linters, macros, other compile-time checks, various libraries for assertions and so on.

Edit: an example Wikipedia cites for Ada's supposed reliability features:

quote:

For example, the syntax requires explicitly named closing of blocks to prevent errors due to mismatched end tokens.
Any modern IDE would catch this for you in a millisecond--these things sound handy back when people edited code in text editors. If you're using Visual Studio this does not need to be in the compiler.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TK-42-1 posted:

THE MOST ADVANCED MILITARY IN THE WORLD

Well, when you have capabilities that no other country in the world has, even thirty year old computer tech is still a significant advancement.

:canada:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Any modern IDE would catch this for you in a millisecond--these things sound handy back when people edited code in text editors. If you're using Visual Studio this does not need to be in the compiler.

There’s a difference between having a balanced number of opening and closing brackets versus intentionally closing the right blocks.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The only two places I have encountered ADA programs is in the defense industry and the financial industry.

Similarly, these are the only two places where I also had to deal with MUMPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
VHDL (one of the two main languages for designing integrated circuits) is based on Ada and I much prefer it to the other one, Verilog. It was developed at the behest of the DoD as a way of documenting the workings of ICs which used to be designed in schematic form.

It also incorporates an acronym in an acronym which seems like a very military thing to do.