Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Eimi posted:

Def shows that Japan loves Blue Lions the most. So I guess that could be why they like Rhea?

Rhea doesn't even qualify as a character in Blue Lions lmao, nothing in the route remotely endears her to you because you just kinda forget she even exists the whole time

Really the reason is probably just "hot momma"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tae posted:

Reddit's shocked at Bernie being #1 because, as I just learned, they really hate her.
:psyduck:

Harrow posted:

Man I really miss Sothis when she's gone. She's a lot of fun and I wish she stuck around for the whole game.

Sydin posted:

In the CF version Bernie's dad is on the pyre, tied to a stake. The menu option to light it is only available to Bernie.
:hai:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

yeah Sothis does a good job making up for Byleth’s personality void

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Uhhh

https://twitter.com/nobodyisplaying/status/1184229630657597446?s=21

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I did Dedue's paralogue and rescued "part" of the Duscur soldiers. Is that good enough to get him to come back in part 2? I thought I went as fast as I could.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just got to the end of the Blue Lions route and I wasn't expecting Edelgard to go all JRPG final boss on me

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GD run so far - Lorenz is a creep, Ignaz is boring, and really not feeling Hilda and Marianne. Claude is okay but I'd like to see him actually scheme or manipulate things instead of just talking about scheming or manipulating things.

The rest of the GD cast is good, pleasantly surprised by Raphael especially. But this seems like the weakest house character wise so far.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 17, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Avalerion posted:

GD run so far - Lorenz is a creep, Ignaz is boring, and really not feeling Hilda and Marianne. Claude is okay but I'd like to see him actually scheme or manipulate things instead of just talking about scheming or manipulating things.

The rest of the GD cast is good, pleasantly surprised by Raphael especially. But this seems like the weakest house character wise so far.
:catstare:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hilda's voice sucks and Marriane is just Bernie but not funny. :colbert:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hilda is baby and you will respect her

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Avalerion posted:

Hilda's voice sucks and Marriane is just Bernie but not funny. :colbert:

She's not "unfunny Bernie" she's just seriously depressed and unable to form relationships. The local healthcare system is unequipped for this.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Chronojam posted:

The local healthcare system is unequipped for this.

The fact that this applies to more than one character in this game will never cease to astound me

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
To be fair, the school Councillor is better at his job than most.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Avalerion posted:

You will grow to love all your babies in time. Ignatz sincerity and nervousness I think makes him a fun pair with a lot of other characters. The three supports between Raph, Lorenz and Ignatz are pretty good imo and make the relationships feel connected and alive.

Honestly after playing through all the routes I think i only prefer certain houses just barely over others. I think they did a great job of injecting them all with personality. As I mentioned before I think despite liking them all individually BE doesn't work as well for me as a class because of how the relationships are written and developed. Prime example; Caspar and Lindhart are supposed to be old friends but I literally never would have guessed that and only found out after playing with Caspar for the third time essentially (recruiting him after BE:E and Church) and checking his bio. The sense of comraderie between those characters feels fairly weak compared to the other two houses which sucks because it's maybe the route that needs it most

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Japan has no taste if they vote Alois last.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Japan has no taste if they vote Alois last.

I mean, he ranked last but keep in mind Ignatz didn't even rank at all

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hargrimm posted:

Famitsu published character popularity polls in the newest issue:

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1184511506408329216

Couple of notably weird results, IMO. Why are Petra and Dorothea so low? Why is Lorenz so high??

we also got "who did you S rank first" figures and i guess everyone below the three lords plus maybe sothis is what really matters, since those three (plus maybe sothis) are p default

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1184511508404768769

i literally only know one other person who S ranked lysithea period so it's always a trip for me to see anything showing that, you know what, evidently a lot of other people did!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 17, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’m doing it just so she doesn’t die.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Avalerion posted:

join meeeeee :unsmigghh:

also her A and S supports are impossibly wholesome and sweet and uplifting because of that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

death is a better option than S ranking byleth

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Avalerion posted:

Other characters can help her out too, to my mind at least Lindhart.

Her paired ending with Raph is really sweet even though it's a bit sad

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Had her with Lin last run, want to mix up subsequent pairings at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avalerion posted:

You could also pair her with Hanneman. Their support is entirely non-romantic and they have a cool ending that also lets Lysithea live.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You guys too, huh?

She hooked up with Felix at the end of my BE-E run but I thought we blew up all the crests with Rhea?

At least she got cake. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You guys too, huh?

She hooked up with Felix at the end of my BE-E run but I thought we blew up all the crests with Rhea?

At least she got cake. :(

The ending of Crimson Flower is super unclear about Crests and I'm reasonably sure we didn't actually destroy Crests altogether, otherwise they'd also be gone after Verdant Wind (in which Rhea likely dies off-screen). I think the idea there is that either Byleth expended all of their Sothis power defeating the Immaculate One, or maybe having to help kill Rhea literally broke Sothis's heart (hence the Crest stone, which is her heart, shattering).

A note about the Verdant Wind spoiler in the above spoiler: Rhea's death is never confirmed on that route, but it's strongly implied. Rhea states that she doesn't have much time left after she takes a bunch of missiles to protect Byleth in Shambhala, and I think on Verdant Wind especially, Catherine's endings imply that she's on her own now without Rhea, though I could be wrong about that part. Either way, Byleth doesn't lose their Sothis powers on that route despite Rhea's apparent death, so Rhea dying likely isn't linked to Crests existing at all.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 17, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah tbh

It wouldn't make sense for all the crests to be linked to Rhea anyways. Sothis and a bunch of others had crests that kept ticking and powering people long after their own deaths and Byleth's crest is Sothis' crest, not Rhea's.

My read on it was always that it was Sothis breaking it to tie into the themes of the route. We know Sothis is still around in some capacity since Byleth can marry them post time skip, and her finally 'freeing' Byleth from her crest after they choose to follow Edelgard's path makes the most sense.

The other option might be Rhea building in some kind of weird blood magic failsafe when she first installed the crest in Byleth so that it blew up if they killed her? She was trying to reincarnate her mother and might have taken some precautions about something else getting her mom's power without the personality.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I feel like the 'having her power used to murder her daughter breaks her heart and power' is the most likely explanation that I'd take, but overall it feels like a silly asspull for no reason with no explanation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sothis? Come on

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Byleth's ending in Crimson Flower is definitely out of nowhere, but it's also my favorite ending for them. Becoming an immortal deity-emperor/mega-pope is such a weird ending for a silent protagonist who shows no interest or aptitude in governing, but using that power to reform Fodlan and then returning to normal is good.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

About El: is she also dying due to having two crests?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Avalerion posted:

yes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Avalerion posted:

it's heavily implied, yes, as her hair changed color and her supports with Lysithea show that Edelgard definitely knows what's going on with her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Yes, though she never directly addresses it, though it's implied in her supports with Lysithea.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’m sure this is a gameplay conceit but it’s weird how big of a deal crests are made out to be but they barely matter - even the relic/sacred weapons are just barely stronger than forged regular weapons, if at all.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Harrow posted:

Byleth's ending in Crimson Flower is definitely out of nowhere, but it's also my favorite ending for them. Becoming an immortal deity-emperor/mega-pope is such a weird ending for a silent protagonist who shows no interest or aptitude in governing, but using that power to reform Fodlan and then returning to normal is good.

Having played this game a lot now and approaching it from every angle, I think I can now say they went the wrong route with Byleth. I think for this story, having them silent and kinda weird does work. However, the options for them to speak are still way too limited, to the point where all their supports are essentially people talking to themselves.

I don't know if having their lines voiced would have fixed that or only highlighted it more. I think being able to customise or deck out Byleth would have gone a ways to fix this - as is, you aren't quite playing a self-insert but you're also playing the most lifeless character in the game. That's especially weird considering how active a protagonist they are. I dunno, every time I play I keep wishing the dialogue options meant just a tiny bit more, or Byleth was able to express themselves even a smidge more. There's loads of cute fanart of Byleth acting all teacher-ly and caring about their students - really wish we had seen any of that in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Avalerion posted:

I’m sure this is a gameplay conceit but it’s weird how big of a deal crests are made out to be but they barely matter - even the relic/sacred weapons are just barely stronger than forged regular weapons, if at all.

Well except for crest weapon arts which include some of the most powerful things in the entire game.

Amyr in particular. Why yes I will have Edelgard take five turns in a row.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ometeotl posted:

I just got to the end of the Blue Lions route and I wasn't expecting Edelgard to go all JRPG final boss on me

It's fun how Blue Lions eventually recontextualizes the war as a holy war by the faithful to God and God Herself versus Satan 2; it consumes the whole continent, the church is expelled from the Empire conquered regions, and the Empire is heavily persecuting the faithful who cannot flee while plague, famine, war and death spread thanks to Edelgard. Satan's defeat ushers in a new peaceful age.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Well except for crest weapon arts which include some of the most powerful things in the entire game.

Amyr in particular. Why yes I will have Edelgard take five turns in a row.

or Thyrsus

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My personal take on Sothis in CF is that if she disagreed with what we were doing she would've done something sooner. I can't read it as her being sad about having to kill Rhea, especially since her romance is still available on that route. I think the best explanation is her letting Byleth be her own person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

I think being able to customise or deck out Byleth would have gone a ways to fix this - as is, you aren't quite playing a self-insert but you're also playing the most lifeless character in the game.

I suspect the lack of customization is because they wanted to include Byleth in animated cutscenes. Being able to choose male or female already likely added a lot of work for the studio doing the anime scenes--having to also account for different appearance options would've ballooned that. In the past, for Robin and Corrin, they just always framed those scenes from the character's POV so you never had to see anything but their hands, but I guess they wanted to do it differently this time.

If nothing else, I think the choice to make Byleth so expressionless--even if it's justified in the story--was a mistake. Silent protagonists can work great, but I think it helps if they're really expressive, and that's one of my main issues with Byleth. If Byleth is going to be silent, I think showing them reacting more often with facial expressions and body language would've gone a long way to giving them some more "life" as a character.

Though ultimately, there isn't too much of a reason for Byleth to be a silent character with fully player-chosen dialogue. I suspect the intention was to make sure that the spotlight is on your chosen house's leader, but then they piled a whole lot of "special chosen one" stuff onto Byleth anyway, and that already muddles that up.