Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When this happened yesterday (or was it Tuesday lol time dilation) and I posted it in a slack channel an American replied with "so are the Tories using the GOP tactic of announcing a deal to make the other side feel too ashamed to not agree to it?"

To which I realised this must be what they're trying to do, but because the DUP, unlike the GOP, have spines, it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The UUP switching to remain is significant imo. A lot of farmers and small business people here who have been voting DUP for decades now are utterly pissed off at them because they really wanted May's backstop - it would have been a very good thing for them. The UUP has been toeing the DUP's line on nearly everything since the very early 2000s to try to win back the voters they lost to them at that time and today is the first real departure from that.

It's also indicative of how terrified people here are of what could potentially happen. If the referendum was re-run I am pretty sure the leave vote would be lucky to get 20% in NI.

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 17, 2019

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jose posted:

that definitely suggests corbyn is backing a referendum on it

a referendum on this specific deal?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

Barnier confirms DUP has lost its veto over whether new Northern Ireland arrangements come into force

Barnier switches to speaking in English (he was speaking in French) and turns to the one aspect of the agreement the UK wanted to reopen - the backstop.

He says the EU wanted to keep the border open, preserve the all-island economy and protect the integrity of the single market.

And it was important for Boris Johnson to keep NI in the UK customs territory.

He says the talks have “at times been difficult”.

But they have a deal, with four parts.

First, EU regulations will apply to all goods in Northern Ireland. This means checks at the border.

Second, NI will remain in the UK’s customs territory. It will therefore benefit from UK trade policy. But it will remain an entry point into the single market. So UK authorities will apply UK tariffs to countries coming from third countries as long as goods entering NI are not at risk of entering the single market. If they are at risk of entering the single market, EU tariffs will apply.

Third, on VAT, the plan will maintain the integrity of the single market, while respecting the UK’s digital wishes.

And, fourth, there will be a consent mechanism. Four years after the arrangements starts, the Northern Ireland assembly will decide by a simple majority if these arrangements stay.

Barnier confirms that the DUP will lose its veto on whether the new arrangements come into force. Under the plan proposed by Boris Johnson earlier this month, the new plan for NI would only have taken affect subject to a vote in the assembly - which the DUP would have been able to veto.

:siren: And here's a PDF of the agreement. :siren:
(My puny dumb brain cannot make sense of most of the legal stuff)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 17, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Tesseraction posted:

When this happened yesterday (or was it Tuesday lol time dilation) and I posted it in a slack channel an American replied with "so are the Tories using the GOP tactic of announcing a deal to make the other side feel too ashamed to not agree to it?"

To which I realised this must be what they're trying to do, but because the DUP, unlike the GOP, have spines, it doesn't work.

It's not that they have spines they just lack any shame whatsoever.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol so if this deal goes through how long until they attach engines to the City of London and move it into Belfast

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Lol so if this deal goes through how long until they attach engines to the City of London and move it into Belfast

Well, this is a weird spin-off of Mortal Engines!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

It's not that they have spines they just lack any shame whatsoever.

In Britain that counts as a spine so either join your southern cousins or get on our level. :colbert:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pochoclo posted:

staff toilets have been relocated from London to Belfast so we count as being in Northern Ireland for tax purposes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Deleter posted:

Well, this is a weird spin-off of Mortal Engines!
Mhoireil Engines?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Did you finally Brexit? Is it over?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1184771535229378562?s=21

So presumably Labour will vote against the deal but should it pass will seek to put it to a referendum?

The ordering is a little different. They'll seek to amend the bill and then vote against it - they're trying to cushion any potential defeat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Over? It's only just begun.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Mhoireil Engines?

I googled Mhoireil and got a bunch of Homestuck stuff, so either the internet is hosed up or something very bad has happened in Ireland recently.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Did you work for Business News Publishing or Kühnle, Kopp & Kausch :v:

Nope - a large public sector organisation.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

It is amazing how few people understand this. It makes me wonder if a talented politician could have just renamed the UK's membership status in the EU something like "Sovereign Member State" and maybe brought back imperial measures and metal dustbins and sent every household a little flag to wave and that could have been that.

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 17, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Deleter posted:

I googled Mhoireil and got a bunch of Homestuck stuff, so either the internet is hosed up or something very bad has happened in Ireland recently.
Google is weird. I googled it and got nothing but references to Baile Mhoireil (Balmoral). Maybe it thinks you're a [whatever weird name homestuck fans call themselves].

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I am loving terrified that even if we did have a confirmatory referendum on whatever lovely deal Johnson managed to scrape out of the EU's backside, people would just vote on enacting it just to get the whole thing over and done with. I have lost track of how many people who are otherwise remain supporting say that they just want the whole thing over and done with so they can stop hearing about it. My confidence in the general public to vote in a considered and informed way is at an all time low.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

FiftySeven posted:

I am loving terrified that even if we did have a confirmatory referendum on whatever lovely deal Johnson managed to scrape out of the EU's backside, people would just vote on enacting it just to get the whole thing over and done with. I have lost track of how many people who are otherwise remain supporting say that they just want the whole thing over and done with so they can stop hearing about it. My confidence in the general public to vote in a considered and informed way is at an all time low.

I think if you hammer home the fact that this is only the beginning of the negotiation process and present remain as the "gently caress this for a game of soldiers" option it might be simple enough for the hard of thinking to understand. I know what you mean though. These last 5 years have been a wild ride.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I know it's slightly off topic but I've been dying for like 15 minutes that Trump thinks the leader of Italy is "President Mozzarella" https://twitter.com/DKeetz/status/1184597223465783299

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Eschenique posted:

Guavanaut posted:

Exactly. Brexit is Eternal.

This is just the withdrawal agreement. :shepface:

Not even mentioning that, as someone rightly commented earlier, any kind of deal is never going to be acceptable for the Brexit true believers, because what they want literally cannot exist, and is just an excuse to push harder and harder for open facism.

And at the opposite end, it'll be the ultra FBPEs who'll continually clamour to revoke leaving the EU, or endlessly trying to rejoin it, pretending that 2016 never happened and never seeking to solve the underlying causes of what made the vote happen.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

:siren: And here's a PDF of the agreement. :siren:
(My puny dumb brain cannot make sense of most of the legal stuff)

I was originally tempted to read this for myself, but 64 pages of legal language is too much of a commitment for a deal that sounds doomed regardless.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Snipee posted:

I was originally tempted to read this for myself, but 64 pages of legal language is too much of a commitment for a deal that sounds doomed regardless.

The summary is that Northern Ireland has less control over what happens going forward, and can only choose to keep things going once every four years. Naturally, the DUP aren't pleased.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I knew I should have invested in balaclavas and those green army jumpers when I had the chance

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tesseraction posted:

I know it's slightly off topic but I've been dying for like 15 minutes that Trump thinks the leader of Italy is "President Mozzarella" https://twitter.com/DKeetz/status/1184597223465783299

loving hell

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Google is weird. I googled it and got nothing but references to Baile Mhoireil (Balmoral). Maybe it thinks you're a [whatever weird name homestuck fans call themselves].

I've not thought about Homestuck in months, which is probably the right state of mind to be in at this point in Internet Culture. I did eventually get Balmoral though.

Tesseraction posted:

This is loving incredible.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

FiftySeven posted:

don't worry we'll have a referendum on a closed question about this specific deal. it'll be defeated by a super coalition of remainers and 'no deal is better than any deal' psychos and boris or whoever will say this is just evidence that the coward's surrender deal was bad and we need to try again, the whole thing will rumble on forever.

we'll all drown or boil before this thing has a meaningful conclusion.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1184775168616517637?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think politicians wildly underestimate the "vote for it to be over" vote

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Trump is a sensible, highly intelligent leader. Truly a man of the 21st century.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Eschenique posted:

HAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :smith:

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

this has tipped me into full tinfoil that XR is an op, come the gently caress on!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

this has tipped me into full tinfoil that XR is an op, come the gently caress on!

Look, if everyone is in jail then there's less cars on the road so the planet is saved.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

The summary is that Northern Ireland has less control over what happens going forward, and can only choose to keep things going once every four years. Naturally, the DUP aren't pleased.

Thanks. And lol what a brilliant negotiation.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Rustybear posted:

"Officer! I drew in chalk on the pavement! Please arrest me quick because it's starting to rain."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/syalrajeev/status/1184781700288696321

*geoffrey cox frantically arranging his turd polishing cloths*

Snipee posted:

Thanks. And lol what a brilliant negotiation.

lol apparently it's potentially *eight years*

quote:

Q: What happens if the Northern Ireland assembly wants to stop accepting EU rules? And what is the solution on VAT?

On VAT, Barnier says an agreement was reached overnight. There was an issue with the need for consistency on VAT rates. A mechanism to ensure this was agreed. The EU system would apply in Northern Ireland. For businesses, it is logical to have consistency, as with the single market for goods.

On consent, he says the new protocol would be supported democratically. At the end of the transition period there would be a four-year period for the new arrangements to be in force. At the end of that the members of the Northern Ireland assembly would vote, on the basis of a simple majority, for the arrangement to continue for another four years. If there were a cross-community vote in favour, it would continue for eight years. If there were a vote to end the arrangements, there would be a two-year cooling off period.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Tesseraction posted:

Look, if everyone is in jail then there's less cars on the road so the planet is saved.

if it's not a fully intentional op from the get-go (it is) then the only way i can explain it is that these ppl really genuinely wholeheartedly believe that if nice middle class white ppl want change capital will have to respond.

lol suckers, you're just as expendable as the rest of us.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tesseraction posted:

Fuckin' :lol:

crispix posted:

I think if you hammer home the fact that this is only the beginning of the negotiation process and present remain as the "gently caress this for a game of soldiers" option it might be simple enough for the hard of thinking to understand. I know what you mean though. These last 5 years have been a wild ride.

The lack of general political engagement outside of Big Events (tm) really hit home when May resigned, and I had my workmates of various ages coming up to me (I'm "the bright political one" at work :v:) and asking if that meant Corbyn was now PM, if Labour was in power now, when do we vote for the PM, etc, etc, not to mention taking all the papers at face vaule.

loving hell if that's real :lol:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey UKMT what do I do in this situation. I live next to a newsagents and know the couple that run it really well. Lately, they've had a gang of kids (maybe 10-12 years old) coming in, racially abusing them, throwing stuff around the shop, throwing eggs at the windows at night and openly stealing stuff. The couple are really scared and have called the police, but they turn up hours after the incident, stay there for a few minutes and obviously don't give a poo poo.

I've given the newsagents my number and we've arranged with the other neighbours and other local shops that if it happens again we'll come round and help, but I dunno what we can reasonably do about it other than yell at the kids. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

It's kind of weird how people keep changing the colour of the faces of people they dislike. Trump isn't that orange.