Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Hey UKMT what do I do in this situation. I live next to a newsagents and know the couple that run it really well. Lately, they've had a gang of kids (maybe 10-12 years old) coming in, racially abusing them, throwing stuff around the shop, throwing eggs at the windows at night and openly stealing stuff. The couple are really scared and have called the police, but they turn up hours after the incident, stay there for a few minutes and obviously don't give a poo poo.

I've given the newsagents my number and we've arranged with the other neighbours and other local shops that if it happens again we'll come round and help, but I dunno what we can reasonably do about it other than yell at the kids. Any ideas?
You can citizen's arrest anyone over 10, but that might cause more problems than it solves. Does anyone know where they're coming from, or who the parents are?

I guess someone could follow them but stalking kids also not a great look.

Comedy option, put up a scarekid

e: cat tax

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/mrdavidwhitley/status/1184787458115936256?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Necrothatcher posted:

Hey UKMT what do I do in this situation. I live next to a newsagents and know the couple that run it really well. Lately, they've had a gang of kids (maybe 10-12 years old) coming in, racially abusing them, throwing stuff around the shop, throwing eggs at the windows at night and openly stealing stuff. The couple are really scared and have called the police, but they turn up hours after the incident, stay there for a few minutes and obviously don't give a poo poo.

I've given the newsagents my number and we've arranged with the other neighbours and other local shops that if it happens again we'll come round and help, but I dunno what we can reasonably do about it other than yell at the kids. Any ideas?

If they're actually only 10-12 year olds having a couple of grown men yelling at them and scaring the poo poo out of them will probably do the job itself. Alternatively if you have any way of finding the parents that could work (or go very wrong depending).

E: comedy option, throw eggs back at them till they learn their lesson.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

You can citizen's arrest anyone over 10, but that might cause more problems than it solves. Does anyone know where they're coming from, or who the parents are?

I guess someone could follow them but stalking kids also not a great look.

Yeah, I reckon trying to citizen's arrest a kid is not going to go well for me.

I do know who their Mum is and I know the police have spoken to her, but I think she just denies everything and says the newsagents are making it up. The newsagents have CCTV of all this happening, but the police who turn up say they don't have time to watch the tapes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

loving hell, loving hell. loving hell. These people are so naive.

XR Isn't a cop lead thing, it's just loving twats who sincerely believe "if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to fear from the police".

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Tell the mum you'll call the social on her if she doesn't control her loving kid

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

I do know who their Mum and I know the police have spoken to her, but I think she just denies everything and says the newsagents are making it up. The newsagents have CCTV of all this happening, but the police who turn up say they don't have time to watch the tapes.
Has anyone shown their mam the CCTV? Does it have sound and provide positive ID, if not could they get a better camera?

Also a bunch of other people (and I'll be blunt and say whiter people, because she seems to think the newsagent is lying about racist abuse for kicks) corroborating their story might help.

forkboy84 posted:

XR Isn't a cop lead thing, it's just loving twats who sincerely believe "if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to fear from the police".
And then follow it up with "So let's do criminal damage and hand ourselves in." :thunk:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Necrothatcher posted:

I do know who their Mum is and I know the police have spoken to her, but I think she just denies everything and says the newsagents are making it up. The newsagents have CCTV of all this happening, but the police who turn up say they don't have time to watch the tapes.

Local press might be interested.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Snipee posted:

I was originally tempted to read this for myself, but 64 pages of legal language is too much of a commitment for a deal that sounds doomed regardless.

the actual text is 16 pages (well more like 12 really), I did a little summary but I don't know what I'm talking about

the consent bit is Article 18 - basically the backstop (articles 5-10 anyway) gets implemented for periods of time, the first one ends 4 years after the transition period ends. In the last 2 months of that period, the UK government provides "the opportunity for democratic consent" in NI, whether the articles should keep applying basically

If that "opportunity" has been provided (doesn't say what happens if it isn't, should just keep rolling I guess) and the NI government votes not to continue, it stops 2 years after the current period ends. If a majority of MPs turn up and vote for it then it's another 4 years, or 8 years if there's "cross-community support" which means a majority needs to show up and vote, and the unionists and nationalists need to be there - either a majority of each delegation, or at least 40% (in which case the overall vote needs to be at least 60%)

the articles that get voted on (I assume as a whole) are Customs, movement of goods; Protection of UK internal market; Technical regs etc; VAT and excise; Single electricity market; State aid (which is about agriculture)

I dunno, it is a veto at least, just one that NI gets to exercise instead of the UK government. And it does look opt-in instead of opt-out, requiring a majority to make a "decision" to stay in. I'm not sure what happens if the government isn't functioning or if a majority abstains? It definitely feels different to the original "it exists until everyone agrees it shouldn't" deal, but maybe I'm misreading it or missing something obvious about what the protocol becomes if articles 5-10 don't apply but the rest do

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Has anyone shown their mam the CCTV? Does it have sound and provide positive ID, if not could they get a better camera?

I've been in the newsagents while the mum is yelling at the couple for calling the police on her kids - so she knows what's going on and what they're doing.

But going to the local press isn't a bad idea. The angle that a local business is being racially targeted and the police are doing next to nothing about it sounds like a story to me. I'd be pissed off if I was running a shop in the area and felt that the same thing could happen to me.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

forkboy84 posted:

100% there's some coppers sat in a meeting room somewhere going 'excellent work on that poster campaign Nigel. Oh that wasn't you? Who was it then?'.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rustybear posted:

this has tipped me into full tinfoil that XR is an op, come the gently caress on!

I don't think it started out as one because they didn't use to be this bad but I think somewhere around the start of this year someone must have got themselves high up in the organisation cause they have spiralled downhill so fast. Everything they do now is designed to harm either their own protestors or their reputation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maybe put the videos on the local 'spotted' facebook page? Along with a few details about the police not bothering to check the cctv, the mother being aware, contact a few papers with the details?

I'm not sure if it'd be better to just outright do this or to simply threaten to do it, as I'm unsure of the legality of posting cctv of minors online and so on, and the slightly more depressing realisation that it might attract adult racists to target the shop as well.

I'm just thinking that if formal legal recourse isn't working, public naming & shaming might?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1184787420677586945
Pinch of salt, etc.

Also, it's coming up to everyones' favourite time of year, Poppymass
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1184559343729020928

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 17, 2019

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

That's the sound of the Scottish judiciary getting ready

Also Farage appears to want an extension and a GE. What hell world is this?

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1184783341016551427

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

So if bojo directly goes against the benn doesn't he get locked up in the tower or something?

lol no get ready for a lot of mps and journos spluttering about how this undermines the democratic system while doing nothing about it

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

mfcrocker posted:

That's the sound of the Scottish judiciary getting ready

Farage wants a chance to run on no deal in a GE. If brexit happens BXP dies, this shouldn't be a shock.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lol this deal is so loving dead.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ThomasPaine posted:

So if bojo directly goes against the benn doesn't he get locked up in the tower or something?

lol no get ready for a lot of mps and journos spluttering about how this undermines the democratic system while doing nothing about it

Nope, this is proper contempt of court rather than contempt of parliament. It's punishable with up to 2 years in prison

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Tipped me over the edge. Yep, the strategy side of XR seems thoroughly infiltrated by cops / state security of some kind, and they're probably using this to build a list of potential middleclass troublemakers as climate poo poo starts to get real here. Either the leadership doesn't think anything is wrong and this is good strategy, or they know but are throwing all their activists under the bus for a chance on the media / TED talk circuit.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Chequers is back baby!!

The flurry of “oh poo poo” from hacks is pretty disingenuous considering we’ve been here before where an agreed deal was in place.

Just remember though, if this does pass, it’s because the libs wouldn’t get behind Corbyn to give him the clout to pull off a vonc and become caretaker PM.

E:

mfcrocker posted:

Nope, this is proper contempt of court rather than contempt of parliament. It's punishable with up to 2 years in prison

The funniest outcome is that he gets the two years and gets automatically booted out of his job as an mp for this :getin: he wont

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mfcrocker posted:

Gotta keep that grift going.

If Johnson gets "A Deal" then in the minds of the general public, Brexit is "Done", so then a Brexit party is loving redundant, and Farage is back looking for the next grift.

[e]: Beaten by Blasmeister.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 17, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it just me or has anyone else been seeing a bunch of 1606 King's Colours in place of the Union Fleg on stuff?

Probably just lazy designers, or is it a secret psyop to get people mentally prepared for losing NI :tinfoil:

It's a better flag anyway.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been in the newsagents while the mum is yelling at the couple for calling the police on her kids - so she knows what's going on and what they're doing.

But going to the local press isn't a bad idea. The angle that a local business is being racially targeted and the police are doing next to nothing about it sounds like a story to me. I'd be pissed off if I was running a shop in the area and felt that the same thing could happen to me.

Do the kids' school know? Often they have resources / access to resources to help* with issues occurring offsite.

*interpret however you choose.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

man, it for sure is. as a metaphor for a colonial legacy pretty on the nose huh

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Chequers is back baby!!

To be a fly on the wall when May hears that they're gonna try and push through her barebones poo poo again, but just without her. :lol:

Or to see the Popeye-esque smoke coming out of Arlene Foster's ears in general.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pesky Splinter posted:

To be a fly on the wall when May hears that they're gonna try and push through her barebones poo poo again, but just without her. :lol:

Or to see the Popeye-esque smoke coming out of Arlene Foster's ears in general.

Does she not get a vote on this? Is she not still a sitting member of the Commons?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Is it just me or has anyone else been seeing a bunch of 1606 King's Colours in place of the Union Fleg on stuff?

Probably just lazy designers, or is it a secret psyop to get people mentally prepared for losing NI :tinfoil:

Been done before, it's Gerry Spice's dress (well mostly)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 17, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

pitch a fitness posted:

Do the kids' school know? Often they have resources / access to resources to help* with issues occurring offsite.

*interpret however you choose.

That's not a bad idea! But how can I work out which school these kids go to?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maximum Chaos option: the deal loses by one vote.....and that vote?

Theresa May

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

That's not a bad idea! But how can I work out which school these kids go to?

Could ask around the people you've got to help out.

Or just send a letter with their names/address to nearby schools.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Tell the mum you'll call the social on her if she doesn't control her loving kid

From what Necrothatcher has said I wouldn't be surprised if there is already some level of social work involvement, so in all honesty reporting this to social work isn't a terrible idea. I'd be inclined to do that rather than warn the mother as a scare tactic- from experience that's likely just going to antagonise her rather than do anything productive, so at least if social work are aware they can bring it up in a professional capacity. "The child(ren) racially abuse(s) the newsagent" is definitely something that would be relevant to a social work assessment, even if the police don't give a poo poo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CyberPingu posted:

Does she not get a vote on this? Is she not still a sitting member of the Commons?

I meant, without her as leader.

Bardeh posted:

Maximum Chaos option: the deal loses by one vote.....and that vote?

Theresa May

:lol:

Used to like the Spice Girls a lot more before finding out they were massive Tories.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 17, 2019

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

baka kaba posted:

the actual text is 16 pages (well more like 12 really), I did a little summary but I don't know what I'm talking about

the consent bit is Article 18 - basically the backstop (articles 5-10 anyway) gets implemented for periods of time, the first one ends 4 years after the transition period ends. In the last 2 months of that period, the UK government provides "the opportunity for democratic consent" in NI, whether the articles should keep applying basically

If that "opportunity" has been provided (doesn't say what happens if it isn't, should just keep rolling I guess) and the NI government votes not to continue, it stops 2 years after the current period ends. If a majority of MPs turn up and vote for it then it's another 4 years, or 8 years if there's "cross-community support" which means a majority needs to show up and vote, and the unionists and nationalists need to be there - either a majority of each delegation, or at least 40% (in which case the overall vote needs to be at least 60%)

the articles that get voted on (I assume as a whole) are Customs, movement of goods; Protection of UK internal market; Technical regs etc; VAT and excise; Single electricity market; State aid (which is about agriculture)

I dunno, it is a veto at least, just one that NI gets to exercise instead of the UK government. And it does look opt-in instead of opt-out, requiring a majority to make a "decision" to stay in. I'm not sure what happens if the government isn't functioning or if a majority abstains? It definitely feels different to the original "it exists until everyone agrees it shouldn't" deal, but maybe I'm misreading it or missing something obvious about what the protocol becomes if articles 5-10 don't apply but the rest do

I have been googling around, and what you said matches up fairly well with what I skimmed.

So can someone tell me which would have been the more difficult task for the Conservatives: trying to create a deal that the DUP would vote for or trying to create a deal that Labour MPs would vote for in sufficient numbers that offsets losing the DUP and their most hardcore Brexiteers? It seemed obvious from the beginning that the Irish border was going to be a sensitive issue, and they clearly haven't made much progress in convincing the DUP after these two years of incompetence.

Granted, it is also totally possible that May's snap election created a problem for them with no possible solutions, and the only alternatives to a no deal Brexit are to call another referendum or general election.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Wonder what the wording of the second referendum amendment will be.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ronya posted:

I'm hopeful the word 'guillotine' will be included no less than a dozen times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

man, it for sure is. as a metaphor for a colonial legacy pretty on the nose huh
It comes in two versions.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Been done before, it's Gerry Spice's dress (well mostly)

That's still got the red bits from St. Pat's saltire.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

[squeeaky lib dem voice] we want referendum b/c corbin a oval office

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pay some other kids on the sly to kick the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

It comes in two versions.

That's still got the red bits from St. Pat's saltire.

This is a much snazzier looking flag to put a mic and sickle over