Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm cringing so hard right now:

https://twitter.com/trish_regan/status/1184559361638748161

Edit: Honestly I seriously doubt he sent this letter to Erdogan though, especially on the date of the letter. Trish Regan is a bigtime propagandist for Trump, and this looks like an attempt by Trump to look tough for a domestic audience more than a genuine conversation he would have had with Erdogan back then.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sinteres posted:

Edit: Honestly I seriously doubt he sent this letter to Erdogan though, especially on the date of the letter. Trish Regan is a bigtime propagandist for Trump, and this looks like an attempt by Trump to look tough for a domestic audience more than a genuine conversation he would have had with Erdogan back then.

Does it though? Does it really?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
If it had been dated this week I'd believe it but Oct. 9? Yeah, it's fake.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

That thing reads like a post.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's definitely real as in something the White House says is real. It's just not clear that it's real as in a genuine communication between heads of state last week.

https://twitter.com/katierogers/status/1184567346247163905

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sinteres posted:

It's definitely real as in something the White House says is real. It's just not clear that it's real as in a genuine communication between heads of state last week.

Oh yeah, if it's confirmed then it only opens more questions.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It really is hard to deny that the man's losing his mind:

https://twitter.com/hillhulse/status/1184575552310644738

On the other hand, the Russians seem pretty loving smug:

https://twitter.com/HenryJFoy/status/1184370975288238081

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 16, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sinteres posted:

It really is hard to deny that the man's losing his mind:

https://twitter.com/hillhulse/status/1184575552310644738

:lol: I still remember how he praised him like he was the second coming, back when he was the one that made him Secretary of Defense.

Not tough enough...right lmao. He was definitely not known for being overtly-cautious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTXzcILPPp8

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 16, 2019

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
He’s literally called the warrior monk.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Sinteres posted:

On the other hand, the Russians seem pretty loving smug:

https://twitter.com/HenryJFoy/status/1184370975288238081

so basically when the Russian troops enter a combat zone in syria

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
mattis has always been pretty deft at self promotion and building and maintaining his image. he struts around like he's macarthur after accepting the japanese surrender or patton after he shot that donkey and not a guy who spent the bulk of his career playing whack-a-mole with barely armed insurgents then got ripped off by elizabeth holmes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Al-Saqr posted:

" Folks, I love the PKK, greatest group in the world, so nice, wonderful costumes, the best, they even made me grand wizard! can you believe it? I was the best wizard with the pointiest hat and whitest cloak they ever had."

alright I chuckled

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cargo cult posted:

mattis has always been pretty deft at self promotion and building and maintaining his image. he struts around like he's macarthur after accepting the japanese surrender or patton after he shot that donkey and not a guy who spent the bulk of his career playing whack-a-mole with barely armed insurgents then got ripped off by elizabeth holmes

I'm not here to sing the guy's praises, and IMO Mattis is a coward for swallowing his tongue but for some subtext in his resignation letter despite all the crazy poo poo going on, but obviously what Trump said about taking ISIS out in a month and claiming personal credit while saying he had a lovely do nothing Secretary of Defense was nuts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gresh posted:

so basically when the Russian troops enter a combat zone in syria

This walk always looks so painful.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1184687862090010624?s=21

Well, he's not wrong.
Timber Sycamore

quote:

David Ignatius, writing in The Washington Post, remarked that while the CIA program ultimately failed in its objective of removing Assad from power, it was hardly "bootless": "The program pumped many hundreds of millions of dollars to many dozens of militia groups. One knowledgeable official estimates that the CIA-backed fighters may have killed or wounded 100,000 Syrian soldiers and their allies over the past four years."[12]

100,000 people killed with US arms. And what did all those lives buy us? It's very hard to argue Obama spent them well (n.b. a lot of those deaths actually occurred under Trump).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Squalid posted:

100,000 people killed with US arms.

This number seems a bit unfair to all the civilians those weapons killed/continue to kill/maim/wound as well.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1184687862090010624?s=21

Well, he's not wrong.
Timber Sycamore

100,000 people killed with US arms. And what did all those lives buy us? It's very hard to argue Obama spent them well (n.b. a lot of those deaths actually occurred under Trump).

To be specific it's 100,000 "Syrian soldiers and allies". The amount of civilians murdered with those weapons is presumably a lot higher.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

buck sexton is an absolute piece of poo poo, his callers' "megadittos" for his show is "shields high"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
All US weapons come with a magic potion that removes your free will and agency, absolving you of any responsibility for anything done with it. Or any with non-US weapons your militia uses.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

All US weapons come with a magic potion that removes your free will and agency, absolving you of any responsibility for anything done with it. Or any with non-US weapons your militia uses.

*Note: Magic potion only works as long as your militia is still in the good graces of the US.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
The SAA is in Kobane

https://twitter.com/NPA_SY/status/1184515891528175618

https://twitter.com/GforGilgo/status/1184505558931574789

https://twitter.com/Zinvor/status/1184651443166429189

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
From what I’m reading and watching it seems the SAA is beating Turkey to the punch in retaking areas which would be part of the buffer zone. Am I correct in that assessment?
Also, how likely will things go back to the status quo in regards to the borders. It does not seem like anyone is for Turkey expanding into Syria.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

OK so let me get this straight, two opposing sides of a war that has been going on for 8 years are now joining forces against an external army?

This really took a turn.

Where's the FSA in all of this?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

orange sky posted:

OK so let me get this straight, two opposing sides of a war that has been going on for 8 years are now joining forces against an external army?

This really took a turn.

Mostly irrelevant, like they've been for years by now.

E: If you're asking which side they're on, they've been a glorified Turkish puppet militia for some two years or so by now.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 17, 2019

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

orange sky posted:

What remains of the FSA is fighting for the Turks.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

orange sky posted:

This really took a turn.

Yeah that’s what happens when Erdogan uses Jihadists as a tool.

I think he’s forgetting that Bush started this poo poo show in the first place.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 17, 2019

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

orange sky posted:

The YPG and the Assad Regime were not opposing sides.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Guys anyone has an accurate, updated map on how much the turks have conquered and how much area was handed to the regime? I cannot find any strategic map online/

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Less Claypool posted:

Yeah that’s what happens when Erdogan uses Jihadists as a tool.

I think he’s forgetting that Bush started this poo poo show in the first place.

Bush is also an irrelevant has-been that nobody aside from succ-dems and establishment Republicans care about. Obama has a lot more gravitas still within most of the DNC and a shitloa more ire of Trump’s base. Trump’s a craven, dementia-addled shithead, but he knows how to work that base, and they’re strung the gently caress out on hate juice and birther conspiracies still to this day.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Guys anyone has an accurate, updated map on how much the turks have conquered and how much area was handed to the regime? I cannot find any strategic map online/
The Turks couldn't even make to Kobane first and that's right on the border, they don't hold any significant amount of land.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Thank you President Buck Sexton :patriot:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

The YPG and the Assad Regime were not opposing sides.

:rolleye:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pence may have been able to force his way into a meeting Erdogan didn't want to take, but this photo looks way more humiliating for Pence than Erdogan, especially contrasted with the reception Putin gets. You could say it's just because Pence is VP instead of President, but Merkel received similar treatment too:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1184825555180511236

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1184808918976995328

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 17, 2019

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

They aren’t? They don’t like each other, but they aren’t officially opposing each other either.

Frenemies, maybe? For the entire duration of the war there has been a Syrian state controlled zones in a few towns that the Kurds controlled otherwise. A few dumb westerners found that out the hard way by straying into those zones and getting sent to prison. The Kurds also were very careful to not be too independent akin to China/Taiwan.

Edit: the US did bomb some incursions by SAA/Russian PMF, that were headed into SDF territory to retake oil fields, but neither side considered it to be all out war.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 17, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Putin is looking more and more like a weird little martian.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grape posted:

Putin is looking more and more like a weird little martian.

Just as Trump, he'd rather look weirdly inhuman than old and frail.

Turkey seems to have confirmed that they actually did receive Trump's letter, and that Erdogan threw it in the trash.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 17, 2019

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What are the white helmets upto these days?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Providing aid to resettled refugees in Tel Abyad I imagine.

Sinteres posted:

Just as Trump, he'd rather look weirdly inhuman than old and frail.

Turkey seems to have confirmed that they actually did receive Trump's letter, and that Erdogan threw it in the trash.
Erdogan yeetin goddamn Nato in the trash

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zurakara posted:

Nato in the trash

where it belongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

To be specific it's 100,000 "Syrian soldiers and allies". The amount of civilians murdered with those weapons is presumably a lot higher.

This is actually not true except only in the indirect sense that they helped prolong the war. Most casualties in the war have been combatants, and of civilian deaths the vast majority are attributable to government forces. There aren't reliable numbers for obvious reasons but going by some of the numbers from monitoring organizations US supported rebels might have only killed twice as many civilians as the US did while bombing the Islamic State, and an order of magnitude fewer than the Syrian government.