Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

ewiley posted:

All hail shareholder value, the one and true goal of all human enterprise.

Ferengimerica

Edit- jfc what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Hey guys just postin to be sad about Elijah Cummings :sigh:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

RIP to Elijah Cummings, one of the last genuinely good politicians we have, and just genuinely a good man with integrity :smith:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

NiceGuy posted:

Hey guys just postin to be sad about Elijah Cummings :sigh:

Same :( gonna have to find a biography.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

ewiley posted:

What's a catchy way to describe the net gain from higher taxes but lower costs of not paying for health insurance? There's got to be a good way to describe it.

e:

But what about shareholder value?!

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 17, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I know there was a goon who called this literal act of throwing the letter in the garbage so props to that guy.

What's the countdown for when the stable genius escalates?

Is it just me or does jr pissbaby sound like he is on the verge of crying the whole time? Is that just his voice?

BigglesSWE posted:

Before long, we’ll have a genuine “can’t have an election during an impeachment hoax” talking point.

I have it on good authority that you also cannot triple stamp and double stamp. :hmmyes:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

skylined! posted:

Apparently Erdogan reversed course and is taking a meeting with pence.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1184812887971418117?s=20

edit or apparently the initial reporting of Erdogan refusing the meeting was incorrect.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1184813473173311488?s=20

yea the actual story was that Erdogan said he would not be interested in discussing or agreeing to a cease fire, which to be fair IS the entire point of the trip so the story was basically 'this meeting is pointless then'. But yea it was never actually 'pence will be turned away at the door' or whatever, just 'erdogan doesn't give a poo poo what pence has to say, but yea he'll let him take his picture looking tough if he comes'.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Trump has responded. Second tweet for context.

https://twitter.com/mannyfidel/status/1184816494590517248?s=20

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Turkish rep on NPR this morning said almost verbatim 'yeah we didn't take that seriously in fact we invaded shortly afterward it was nonsense.' The guy interviewing her asked her to repeat that like he couldn't believe she just outright said 'yeah that letter was stupid and incoherent.' Turkey is taking the total alpha male role in this relationship and Trump is gonna back down like the coward he is or Turkey's gonna get bombed. I'd love to see what his little sycophants think about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The talking point is "If goverment runs Thing, then all the costs are inflated because government bloats the cost of everything, $30K toilet seats, government unions demanding ridiculously high wages, etc. Private industry is more efficient at getting value for money because they trim all the fat"

The refutation can start maybe with "An epipen in the US costs $6000"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It's so obvious he didn't write the tweet on the left, and putting it next to his mocking tweet about someone breaking into to Cummings' house makes that even more evident

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry_Ed posted:

It's so obvious he didn't write the tweet on the left, and putting it next to his mocking tweet about someone breaking into to Cummings' house makes that even more evident

I dunno 'my warmest condolences' is basically the most Trump 'I want to sound smart' way to speak about a death

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like it's going to come out someday that every single tweet on Trump's account has been him and there never were any scavino or aide tweets.

You know, just to gently caress with us.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Imagine being such a pathetic human being you look at Trump doing this poo poo and go “He’s such a strong man” :laffo:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Data Graham posted:

I feel like it's going to come out someday that every single tweet on Trump's account has been him and there never were any scavino or aide tweets.

The use of 'excoriate' essentially guarantees that this isn't possible

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

There's no way that rotten loving bastard wrote that Tweet; Scavino wrote it and they're playing keep-away with his phone.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Imagine being such a pathetic human being you look at Trump doing this poo poo and go “He’s such a strong man” :laffo:

I did a dumb thing and breezed over to r/the_donald and their main talking point is that this letter unilaterally stalled Turkey's advances, so it was obviously a masterstroke of genius.

These people are completely brainwashed cultists.

edit - reminder Sondland to testify today

skylined! fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 17, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

He tweeted condolences and then retweeted 5 of his older tweets

loving garbage

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

The talking point is "If goverment runs Thing, then all the costs are inflated because government bloats the cost of everything, $30K toilet seats, government unions demanding ridiculously high wages, etc. Private industry is more efficient at getting value for money because they trim all the fat"

The refutation can start maybe with "An epipen in the US costs $6000"

The refutation can be "We already have government run healthcare and the government pays less for virtually everything than insurance companies do."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

syntaxrigger posted:

Is it just me or does jr pissbaby sound like he is on the verge of crying the whole time? Is that just his voice?

Jr's just incredibly pissed and jealous that Hunter gets love and treated like a son from Biden while Big Trump Daddy doesn't even give Jr the time of day

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Mahoning posted:

The refutation can be "We already have government run healthcare and the government pays less for virtually everything than insurance companies do."

I think this should probably be it. Medicare already cost-effectively covers tens of millions of the most expensive enrollees (seniors and the disabled) and you're only taxed 3% of your income for it.

e:
https://www.cms.gov/fastfacts/

hold up am I reading this correctly, that medicare covers 60M people and medicaid covers 75M people in the US? That's almost half the population. Expanding to M4A, even if it doubles or triples the medicare tax to 6 or 9% would be a goddamn steal compared to private insurance.

I must be missing something here.

ewiley fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 17, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Why do people like Cummings die at 68 while these ghouls just hang around forever... drat, RIP

It really is starting to get eerie how people that publicly oppose Trump eventually seem to die or suffer grave misfortune.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kale posted:

It really is starting to get eerie how people that publicly oppose Trump eventually seem to die or suffer grave misfortune.

Who else?

Cummings had health problems for a long time.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

loving garbage

He's some trash, man
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I've been avoiding the news because I'm becoming dangerously depressed. But then I saw the letter on a comedy site so...yeah. Looked up to see if the letter was real and it sure is and I caught a whiff of where impeachment effort is. Is this as bad as it seems? The president is really breaking down publicly. Half the country loves him because he promises more guns and fewer brown people. The White House has officially said they will ignore Congressional subpeonas. Even individual people are saying they'll ignore Congress. He's openly conspiring with Ukraine. And the Senate is going to let it all slide.

Separation of powers has completely broken down and Conservatives are in a mad power grab and I think they're going to win. :(.

Is this as bad as it seems?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

skylined! posted:

Apparently Erdogan reversed course and is taking a meeting with pence.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1184812887971418117?s=20

edit or apparently the initial reporting of Erdogan refusing the meeting was incorrect.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1184813473173311488?s=20

Pointed out by someone smarter than I am, but apparently the fact the US flag isn’t behind Pence is an insult on its own. The only US flag showing in that pic is the tiny one on the table.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mahoning posted:

Or "I don't see any reps having problems with the government paid healthcare they receive while in office, and for certain spots they held, continues on after they leave office"

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

loving garbage

Was gonna post this. He literally tried to push his own post off his Twitter feed with retweets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loving garbage

please tell me this isn't real.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1184824714759458817

Sondland appears to be trying to walk a line by saying (1) i'm very disappointed in this and (2) rudy was doing bad things but (3) the president did nothing wrong (?????)

it seems very likely that he will get absolutely hosed if house investigators are prepared, because there are obviously lies built into this stupid story that allows him to be Concerned But Loyal and if they got good testimony from Hill/etc they should be able to tear it apart

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Travic posted:

So I've been avoiding the news because I'm becoming dangerously depressed. But then I saw the letter on a comedy site so...yeah. Looked up to see if the letter was real and it sure is and I caught a whiff of where impeachment effort is. Is this as bad as it seems? The president is really breaking down publicly. Half the country loves him because he promises more guns and fewer brown people. The White House has officially said they will ignore Congressional subpeonas. Even individual people are saying they'll ignore Congress. He's openly conspiring with Ukraine. And the Senate is going to let it all slide.

Separation of powers has completely broken down and Conservatives are in a mad power grab and I think they're going to win. :(.

A handful of subpoenas have been ignored; it will take a few more weeks to see if actual consequences will arise. It's not great but it's not over.

As of yesterday, per a Gallup poll, 52% of those polled wanted trump impeached and *removed*.

The letter is real, and he distributed it in a meeting with congressional leaders yesterday because he thought it made him look strong, and then very much melted down. His mind is obviously breaking.

Half the country does not love him; his approval is around 40% and *strong* approval only 20-25%. His hard 'strong disapproval' is beyond 50%.

The inquiry is still moving forward with substantial testimony including from Sondland today, who is expected to say that there *was* quid pro quo but it was legal so :shrug:

There's more reason to be upbeat about fighting fascism than there has been in months, with democrats finally wielding their power to make an impeachment inquiry official, and republican fascists scrambling to figure out how to change the narrative. Public opinion is turning against them pretty rapidly, and there don't seem to be any good outcomes for them at this point.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 17, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Travic posted:

The White House has said it, but even now State Dept employees are telling Trump to go gently caress himself and showing up anyway. So far, I think only Rudy has actually defied a subpoena. Look, I'm not saying that impeachment and removal from office is likely at this point, but we're at a point where it's more likely than it has ever, ever been. The Senate GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place and a decent number of Republicans in the House are splitting publicly and supporting the impeachment inquiry.

These things don't happen overnight. It hasn't even been a month. Relax.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

eke out posted:

Sondland appears to be trying to walk a line by saying (1) i'm very disappointed in this and (2) rudy was doing bad things but (3) the president did nothing wrong (?????)

it seems very likely that he will get absolutely hosed if house investigators are prepared, because there are obviously lies built into this stupid story that allows him to be Concerned But Loyal and if they got good testimony from Hill/etc they should be able to tear it apart

Also keep in mind that Democrats have been having staff lawyers doing questioning in these hearings in 45 minute chunks. It will be very difficult for Sondland to walk this line and also not perjure himself.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1184825811293081601

additionally: Sondland's story still rests on the ludicrous idea that none of them knew that the point of investigating Burisma was that Hunter Biden was on the board

skylined! posted:

Also keep in mind that Democrats have been having staff lawyers doing questioning in these hearings in 45 minute chunks. It will be very difficult for Sondland to walk this line and also not perjure himself.

yeah exactly, these are some extremely competent people doing the questioning and ridiculous cover stories like this will not hold up (especially given what we know about how other Actual Diplomats have told the truth)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

skylined! posted:

This is smart. I remember that lawyer that took Lewandowski apart after he stonewalled during the first half of the hearing--hopefully they got some good legal minds.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

eke out posted:

additionally: Sondland's story still rests on the ludicrous idea that none of them knew that the point of investigating Burisma was that Hunter Biden was on the board

yeah exactly, these are some extremely competent people doing the questioning and ridiculous cover stories like this will not hold up (especially given what we know about how other Actual Diplomats have told the truth)

Sondland stealing notes from Don Jr's playbook of 'I'm too loving stupid to have known this was going on and also illegal'

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This is smart. I remember that lawyer that took Lewandowski apart after he stonewalled during the first half of the hearing--hopefully they got some good legal minds.

Tbh I'm more curious as to what republicans are doing during their 45 minute chunks. I imagine napping, or sharing Qanon conspiracies.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The important thing for M4A skeptics to realize is that hospitals have NO CLUE how much things costs. So the hospitals are really the ones jacking up prices to ungodly amounts. For a good majority of the services or procedures they perform, they just pull a made up (high) number out of the sky, knowing that the insurance companies will negotiate it lower. Except with Medicare/Medicaid, the government has a pricing list and the hospital can take it or leave it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

loving garbage

And this one:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1184820057001598976

Which is much closer to how he really feels about Cummings' passing.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Pence is definitely gonna have a bad day.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1184808918976995328?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skylined! posted:

Tbh I'm more curious as to what republicans are doing during their 45 minute chunks. I imagine napping, or sharing Qanon conspiracies.

for people like sondland, I assume they're mostly going to defer and not ask questions, as they are effectively in the role of defending their guy in a deposition. their main job is to try to help him clean up anything he hosed up, if they can, and to try not to make anything worse.

with people they know are hostile to them like Hill or Yovanovich, i bet there was at least some good chunks of spewing far-right conspiracies