Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Barnier will probably come out with something more conciliatory later, it's a one-two punch they've used a bunch of times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The left is just as vulnerable as the right to the following forms of antisemitism
1. The capital class has a vested interest in keeping the working class down (and the jews are all rich)
2. The state of Israel should not exist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

3. pronunciation of bagel

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As ever, oppose racism lads

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Okay, so I’ve been thinking about it, and I’ve come to the conclusion that Labour voting for the deal with a referendum attached might be a very good idea. Having a referendum that the Tories vote for completely undercuts the “people vs parliament” angle, which is a concern if the Tories are dragged into extending or especially if we have a unity government that looks pretty undemocratic (even if it isn’t really).

Let’s assume Remain wins. What happens then? Well, it will be an apocalypse for the Tories. They will have completely failed to deliver their raison d'etre for four years. Morale in the party and trust of them outside the party will completely collapse. Johnson will almost certainly be forced to resign, cementing himself as the worst PM of all time. It’s likely the party will split.

Meanwhile, Labour will be ascendant. They’ll have just finished fighting a referendum they can take an unambiguous and enthusiastic position on, and will be able to fight an election entirely on their policies with Brexit left behind. They’ll very likely win, possibly in a landslide. If that happens Corbyn will go down as one of the greatest political figures in history.

Of course, the problem is that we can’t assume Remain wins. It’s risky. But not only are demographics better for Remain in a 2nd ref, but the new Tory deal is awful and not supported by the DUP, Kate Hoey or even Farage. The ERG hate it, they only support it because they fear it’s the only way to get Brexit. And arguing against a concrete proposal will be a lot easier than the vagueness of the first referendum.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was wondering about putting on a Brexit preparation event/workshop/meeting for people in my town to talk about Brexit and maybe put some plans together in case of No Deal - things like if there are stockpiles of food/medicine, what to do if there's flooding here but all the emergency services are in major cities at supermarkets, that kind of thing. I don't want it to worry anyone or attract people who are going to go on about referendums or 'project fear', but on the other hand it could help people who are concerned and if there is a NDB, there's some sort of plan in place?

Or is it not worth bothering about as everyone has access to spuds and clean water?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

But the overlap of antisemitism/anitcapitalism due to antisemites consciously co-opting the messaging is a much older problem and one to watch out for anyway. Just keep an eye out as you normally would.
We should do the same in reverse.

Did you know that capitalists poison wells?

Wait gently caress, I was trying to start a conspiracy, not a real problem.

Capitalists consume human blood.

poo poo.

Capitalists nail tiny pieces of bread to the wall.

Namtab posted:

It has as much right to exist as any other state.

:anarchists:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Tories have been massively overcooking the stats? You don't say :monocle:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A great way to lower uneployment numbers - make the dole so poo poo that noone who has a choice in the matter will be keen to take it up.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

justcola posted:

I was wondering about putting on a Brexit preparation event/workshop/meeting for people in my town to talk about Brexit and maybe put some plans together in case of No Deal - things like if there are stockpiles of food/medicine, what to do if there's flooding here but all the emergency services are in major cities at supermarkets, that kind of thing. I don't want it to worry anyone or attract people who are going to go on about referendums or 'project fear', but on the other hand it could help people who are concerned and if there is a NDB, there's some sort of plan in place?

Or is it not worth bothering about as everyone has access to spuds and clean water?

You're at least a month late to make a real impact assuming we no deal somehow and otherwise we're in an extension or 'bad but not no deal bad' situation.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

One of my long-running concerns about a future Labour government is that one of two things could very plausibly happen:

a) They keep cooking the unemployment figures in the same way as the current government, and the media runs with a narrative of Corbyn being dishonest.
b) They stop twisting the figures and suddenly unemployment has 'risen'; cue media campaign about Labour putting everyone out of work.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Comrade Fakename posted:

Okay, so I’ve been thinking about it, and I’ve come to the conclusion that Labour voting for the deal with a referendum attached might be a very good idea. Having a referendum that the Tories vote for completely undercuts the “people vs parliament” angle, which is a concern if the Tories are dragged into extending or especially if we have a unity government that looks pretty undemocratic (even if it isn’t really).

Let’s assume Remain wins. What happens then? Well, it will be an apocalypse for the Tories. They will have completely failed to deliver their raison d'etre for four years. Morale in the party and trust of them outside the party will completely collapse. Johnson will almost certainly be forced to resign, cementing himself as the worst PM of all time. It’s likely the party will split.

Meanwhile, Labour will be ascendant. They’ll have just finished fighting a referendum they can take an unambiguous and enthusiastic position on, and will be able to fight an election entirely on their policies with Brexit left behind. They’ll very likely win, possibly in a landslide. If that happens Corbyn will go down as one of the greatest political figures in history.

Of course, the problem is that we can’t assume Remain wins. It’s risky. But not only are demographics better for Remain in a 2nd ref, but the new Tory deal is awful and not supported by the DUP, Kate Hoey or even Farage. The ERG hate it, they only support it because they fear it’s the only way to get Brexit. And arguing against a concrete proposal will be a lot easier than the vagueness of the first referendum.

How do we not get hosed over with Boris Johnson in charge of administering the Deal vs. Remain referendum? Parliament can't even trust him to not do no deal Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I have, like a particular problem with ethno/relgious nationalist states for the same reason I don't like the loving weirdos who go around screaming about how britain should be a homeland for the british, because unless you define those two things tautologically what they're actually saying is just plain old racism. Ethnic/religious nationalism is not compatible with a state that even remotely works for the people that live in it, because it necessitates the exclusion of a lot of the people who live in it. And that's working off the assumption that states can be good things. Even if you think that you can't think ethnic/religious nationalism is good unless you're a fascist.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Nah Labour should support an amendment requiring a referendum on the deal but then still oppose the deal - if they vote in support of the deal and then immediately come out in opposition to it then they just get painted as undemocratic traitors.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It has as much right to exist as any other state.

:anarchists:

imagine i had put (uniquely) in there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also I have, like a particular problem with ethno/relgious nationalist states for the same reason I don't like the loving weirdos who go around screaming about how britain should be a homeland for the british, because unless you define those two things tautologically what they're actually saying is just plain old racism. Ethnic/religious nationalism is not compatible with a state that even remotely works for the people that live in it, because it necessitates the exclusion of a lot of the people who live in it. And that's working off the assumption that states can be good things. Even if you think that you can't think ethnic/religious nationalism is good unless you're a fascist.
"Briton" means a person who professes the religion of Big Dick Deer God, habitually speaks the Brythonic language, conforms to British custom and was born on the island of Great Britain, the region of Brittany, or is Brittany Murphy (RIP).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chestnut santabag posted:

Nah Labour should support an amendment requiring a referendum on the deal but then still oppose the deal - if they vote in support of the deal and then immediately come out in opposition to it then they just get painted as undemocratic traitors.

Mass abstention might work if they're really scared about the EU's willingness to extend.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Mass abstention might work if they're really scared about the EU's willingness to extend.

Is this meant to sound like teenage contraception talk.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
:allears:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1184834973662175234

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

dude

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1184839210940948480

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/1184833950193213441?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I regret to inform you that Doctor Masturbation has deleted his twitter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RickOShea321/status/1184793872314130432?s=19

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think you're at a particularly large risk of people already on the left going that way, because they're disinclined to trust the papers anyway, you have to be or you can't form left politics.

But the overlap of antisemitism/anitcapitalism due to antisemites consciously co-opting the messaging is a much older problem and one to watch out for anyway. Just keep an eye out as you normally would.

I think this is basically true, and I don't think a consequence of the terminally irresponsible way the media has handled this is that people on the left get driven to being antisemitic. Even though genuine idiots in the labour movement do exist and really are corbyn's worst possible defenders. I like to think the message has pretty much been hammered home now that antisemitism is seriously bad PR for Labour and so needs to have tough vigilant action against it.

But what does actually happen is that through the amplification of genuine but marginal antisemitism the media are essentially asking the jewish community just how much of any racism against themselves they're willing to tolerate before they become labour voters; the point is not to actually demonstrate the mechanisms of antisemitism nor even to actually talk about it in a clarifying way at all (what materially has changed, how it fits into other racisms). The point is just to instil fear in a community with inherited trauma!! And call me a conspiracy theorist but that's bad but definitely deliberate. And I have no idea how to respond to that.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Lmao that’s even better than Rudd at that hustings thing that turned into complete farce

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao

quote:

Campaigning anti-Brexit QC Jolyon Maugham has now lodged his petition at the court of session in Edinburgh, which essentially tries to ban parliament from debating the new Brexit deal, on the basis that it is illegal, and which he anticipates will be heard tomorrow.

Maugham believes that the deal contravenes s55 of the Taxation (Cross-border Trade) Act 2018, which states that it is “unlawful for Her Majesty’s government to enter into arrangements under which Northern Ireland forms part of a separate customs territory to Great Britain”.

With the detail of Boris Johnson’s new deal still emerging, lawyers insist that s55 is “crystal clear” and that any form of differentiated deal for Northern Ireland will contravene it.

So buckle up for a weekend of constitutional hijinks in Edinburgh. Remember that if Johnson refuses to sign an extension letter to the EU (should he fail to get the deal through on Saturday AND provided the court doesn’t blow the whole debate out of the water) then Maugham will be back in court on Monday ... this time with his fellow petitioners, Joanna Cherry, Vince who are notably absent from today’s petition.

Lord Carloway, Scotland’s most senior judge, has already cleared time for an emergency hearing in the court of session at noon on Monday 21 October, where he could issue court orders forcing Johnson to send a letter to the EU asking for an extension to article 50 until 31 January as per the Benn Act.

the bill might be hosed by tomorrow afternoon

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

As much as I hate the crippling anxiety around brexit, this really is the best timeline if you’re looking to see Joris Bohnson get roundly hosed wherever he goes :allears:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

lmao

the bill might be hosed by tomorrow afternoon

I don't see how that can work. Parliament is sovereign and can't be bound by past parliaments so if they pass a law that contradicts a previous law then tough poo poo previous law

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

I regret to inform you that Doctor Masturbation has deleted his twitter.
But... who will fix my BLEEDING URETHRAL MEATUS?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't see how that can work. Parliament is sovereign and can't be bound by past parliaments so if they pass a law that contradicts a previous law then tough poo poo previous law

Parliament can't pass something that contravenes previous law without first repealing the previous law. So yes, they could get around this... by repealing that provision from S55.

Guess how many people in parliament would specifically repeal a provision *designed* to protect the union?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Latest update from my credulous melt of an MP

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Tesseraction posted:

Parliament can't pass something that contravenes previous law without first repealing the previous law. So yes, they could get around this... by repealing that provision from S55.

Guess how many people in parliament would specifically repeal a provision *designed* to protect the union?

If they pass two laws that are incompatible the latter is deemed to repeal the former to the extent necessary for then to co-exist, with no need for language in the latter explicitly saying that the former is repealed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Namtab posted:

The left is just as vulnerable as the right to the following forms of antisemitism
1. The capital class has a vested interest in keeping the working class down (and the jews are all rich)

I dunno about that second point. I don't think Israel should exist. I believe in a 1 state solution and while you could call it Israel if you so wish it wouldn't be the current state of Israel because it wouldn't be a state explicitly regarded as "the Nation-State of the Jewish People".

Is it antisemitic to say that I think it was a mistake to allow the creation of the state of Israel? Because that seems anti-Zionist to me but I don't even know any more.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

forkboy84 posted:

Is it antisemitic to say that I think it was a mistake to allow the creation of the state of Israel? Because that seems anti-Zionist to me but I don't even know any more.

It is not, but many people will tell you otherwise.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
The deal will pass on the backs of Labour melts and spineless ex-tory MPs

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno about that second point. I don't think Israel should exist. I believe in a 1 state solution and while you could call it Israel if you so wish it wouldn't be the current state of Israel because it wouldn't be a state explicitly regarded as "the Nation-State of the Jewish People".

Whenever labour people who believe the conspiracies have gone on at me about it they always say that the definition of anti-Semitism being pushed for everyone else to use (or else) redefines any criticism of Israel as anti-Semitism. Which is apparently the reason for accusing labour left of anti-Semitism, as they opposed its adoption by the party because it makes any criticism of Israel problematic.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Midnight- posted:

The deal will pass on the backs of Labour melts and spineless ex-tory MPs

nah

Labour aren't going to vote for a deal when they're expecting a GE in a couple of months

and the ex-Tories all hate Boris, they're not going to do him a favour now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jewish Voice for Labour report on Ellman and Riverside LP

quote:

What follows is an exclusive Jewish Voice for Labour report detailing what appears in our view to be a systematic campaign by Ellman and her anti-Corbyn allies to disempower and drive out members who back the socialist, internationalist politics of the Labour leadership.

It features:

Public denunciation of activists Ellman and her allies accuse of antisemitism, including veteran Jewish socialists who support justice for Palestine. Lengthy investigations by party officials in 2016/17 unearthed nothing deserving sanction. One case of genuine antisemitism arose early this year and was promptly dealt with. But charges of wholesale hostility to Jews continue to circulate. Complaints against those making unsubstantiated allegations have been ignored.
Deployment of an anonymous “dossier”, posted on the far-right Guido Fawkes blog in September 2016 denouncing constituency members by name for bullying, intimidation and entryism on behalf of far-left groups. Members’ rebuttals have been given no public airing.
De facto suspension of the constituency party by the National Executive Committee for a period pending investigation. The Constituency Labour Party was forbidden to hold its AGM for eight months, until a report was produced but never shown to members of the CLP.
Persistent exploitation of their positions by anti-Corbyn CLP officers in order to block discussion and decision-making by members.
Misrepresentation of a veteran trade unionist accused of falsifying her date of birth and her parentage. Expert investigation of the taped radio interview used as source material indicates that the recording had been tampered with.
Suspension on April 16 this year of John Davies, chair of the largest branch in Liverpool Riverside CLP and initially the only pro-Corbyn member of the executive committee. He was reinstated on July 23.
Inclusion in the Panorama programme of allegations by a member of the national party staff that he was subjected to antisemitic abuse while conducting interviews in Riverside in December 2016. Recordings made at the time, investigated by The Canary, suggest that there was no such abuse. The allegation appears to be based on an innocent question from an elderly Jewish woman member who was unaware that the member of staff concerned was Jewish.
Much of the detail is fleshed out in interview transcripts, statements and letters from members whose voices have not previously been heard on national platforms. They are posted as appendices to this report.

Full report here: https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/louise-ellman-and-the-war-on-riverside-labour-party-jvl-exclusive/

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tarnop posted:

Latest update from my credulous melt of an MP

Mines clear, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Even if someone tells you that it is, you can tell them your good Jewish-Israeli friend Miftan said that it isn't.