Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Exit Strategy posted:

I would think they're already FDR'd since they're disabled AND dead.

I would too, but we don't know, so I spent today waiting for one to charge one of the non-swollen batteries enough to turn on, hoping it would fail to do so.

And then it turned on.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/erincandescent/status/1184587323599736837?s=21

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

MF_James posted:

Because warehouse workers usually need to Make poo poo Work when it's not working, especially when you're talking about manufacturing workers, whereas office workers when poo poo is broken then can just say Thing Broke and not do work. That's my experience anyway.

I was thinking a bit about this the other day but in the context of children setting up new technology. A person at work was explaining how she got a new smart TV and had to get her 8 year old granddaughter to set it up for her. I think it is because children are still in the habit of listening/reading and following instructions. A lot of adults just don’t seem to have the patience or assume because they used old thing they still know how to use new thing. Similar for the warehouse example they probably don’t use the PC as often so carefully read the information on screen before skipping ahead to the next part. So when they enter the wrong password they know the password was not accepted. Whereas the finance user (why is it always finance?) will call IT and say the program gave them some funny error. No they don’t know what it said because they closed it already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dragonshardz posted:

I would too, but we don't know, so I spent today waiting for one to charge one of the non-swollen batteries enough to turn on, hoping it would fail to do so.

And then it turned on.

Your FDR testing should be writing "it is dead" times the number of phones and calling it a day.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Varkk posted:

I was thinking a bit about this the other day but in the context of children setting up new technology. A person at work was explaining how she got a new smart TV and had to get her 8 year old granddaughter to set it up for her. I think it is because children are still in the habit of listening/reading and following instructions. A lot of adults just don’t seem to have the patience or assume because they used old thing they still know how to use new thing. Similar for the warehouse example they probably don’t use the PC as often so carefully read the information on screen before skipping ahead to the next part. So when they enter the wrong password they know the password was not accepted. Whereas the finance user (why is it always finance?) will call IT and say the program gave them some funny error. No they don’t know what it said because they closed it already.

Not emptyquoting. I work at a phone repair shop and get a lot of questions about apps that fail to install and they can't figure out why. When the phone clearly states they need to delete some data to make room on their ancient 8 GB phone.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Varkk posted:

I was thinking a bit about this the other day but in the context of children setting up new technology. A person at work was explaining how she got a new smart TV and had to get her 8 year old granddaughter to set it up for her. I think it is because children are still in the habit of listening/reading and following instructions. A lot of adults just don’t seem to have the patience or assume because they used old thing they still know how to use new thing.

Funnily enough, I had just come to this conclusion myself.

I am pretty sure that when I was <20, I would read every line of the instruction booklet and understand it all. Now I am much older, it's a case of 'ignore all that, just tell me which button to press to give me coffee'
When I do have to look up something in the manual, I often find a feature or setting that I had no idea even existed - despite owning said device for more than 3 years.

Part of me wonders if it is also a part of getting old where I subconsciously think that there's no point in learning all about something because it won't be long before it gets replaced with something different. This is definitely why I never bother to learn the names of any new salespeople in our company.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dragonshardz posted:

And then it turned on.

It's a shame someone broke all the screens with a hammer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a shame there weren't any non-swollen batteries. Odd that some appear to be missing, but them's the breaks with old abandoned kit like that.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I've taken drives and batteries out of old laptops in order to say "oh drat looks like they're dead" then recycling the whole lot.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I don't wish to cause aspersions on your abilities, but being able to invisibly break stuff is a core skill of IT support.

If you haven't connected +5V directly to the mains or discreetly swapped two cables around the inside of a box, can you really call yourself a professional?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't wish to cause aspersions on your abilities, but being able to invisibly break stuff is a core skill of IT support.

If you haven't connected +5V directly to the mains or discreetly swapped two cables around the inside of a box, can you really call yourself a professional?

If you haven't swapped a SATA cable for a known defect, can you really call yourself a professional?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

The useless leader of the virtualization team got fired though! It’s somehow his fault that all the hardware purchase orders haven’t been approved in close to a year because we’re now a “cloud first” company. (With 6000 vms still on prem)

Not to mention the storage unit migration that got squashed over and over and over and over because "we don't know what will happen".

Well, I know what will happen if the current one shits the bed in the middle of a business day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shut up Meg posted:

Being able to just trash stuff and then straight-faced blame "improper storage" when asked is an advanced level skill. God-tier gets you a budget to buy lots more storage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

Being able to just trash stuff and then straight-faced blame "improper storage" when asked is an advanced level skill. God-tier gets you a budget to buy lots more storage.

Rubber mallet, or careful rubbing with a magnet?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just whack it off the corner of a desk or something. Nobody's going to have the skills to CSI that poo poo back together and work out that you're lying.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arquinsiel posted:

Just whack it off the corner of a desk or something. Nobody's going to have the skills to CSI that poo poo back together and work out that you're lying.

I did that once to a floor model laptop when I worked at best buy, because we didn't want to have to resell it when the model was discontinued.

Home office fixed it and made us sell it anyway. We ended up selling it for less than the fix cost.

My take away lesson was that I didn't damage it enough.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad capitalism broke people's brains so hard they break perfectly good hardware now

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Truga posted:

i'm glad capitalism broke people's brains so hard they break perfectly good hardware now

Good to see even this thread still gets visits from trolls.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my company gives pc hardware that's past its useful time because chrome now requires 100 gigs of ram to charity so kids can play doom and prince of persia at home, instead of breaking it. but hey, if thinking i'm just another troll lets you sleep better at night, you do you

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did it not occur to you that if there were a known good use for it rather than a company hoarding tech for the purposes of make number go up then people wouldn't object to getting paid to give to charity?

Actually don't answer that, neither possibility is good for you.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I mean you say that yet every major food retailer in the fuckin' world still throws out their food surplus instead of giving it to shelters, I think the majority of companies out there would rather hoard/dispose of poo poo than give it to people in need, it's a valid complaint

I'm not saying "why not just give them away", I'm aware it's not your decision, it's just.. it still hurts to destroy working poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, exactly. Breaking a laptop because it's old is the same bullshit as retailers bleaching their food because it's old so the homeless can't get it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Truga posted:

my company gives pc hardware that's past its useful time because chrome now requires 100 gigs of ram to charity so kids can play doom and prince of persia at home, instead of breaking it. but hey, if thinking i'm just another troll lets you sleep better at night, you do you

Yes, kids will love a pile of ancient blackberries.

" Oh well, MY Company donates etc etc" gently caress off. Go lord your virtue signaling over someone else.
You are real quick to poo poo on bottom level employees. So,you don't really give a poo poo about problems, you just want to feel powerful. I bet you're a real terror to wait staff and cashiers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just drag all our old equipment to Best Buy and get gift cards in return.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, kids will love a pile of ancient blackberries.

" Oh well, MY Company donates etc etc" gently caress off. Go lord your virtue signaling over someone else.
You are real quick to poo poo on bottom level employees. So,you don't really give a poo poo about problems, you just want to feel powerful. I bet you're a real terror to wait staff and cashiers.

I said nothing about it until people started posting about breaking a perfectly good laptop because it was old. Fine, your old blackberries are poo poo and useless. Old laptops? gently caress you, give it to someone who can use it.

and what the gently caress, I *am* a bottom level employee, i had to lobby my boss so we started doing that poo poo. I mean my company as in the place I work at

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 17, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
vIrTuE sIgNaLiNg

loving A.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jewel posted:

I mean you say that yet every major food retailer in the fuckin' world still throws out their food surplus instead of giving it to shelters, I think the majority of companies out there would rather hoard/dispose of poo poo than give it to people in need, it's a valid complaint

I'm not saying "why not just give them away", I'm aware it's not your decision, it's just.. it still hurts to destroy working poo poo
The majority of companies gives zero fucks about anything other than number go up. The individual employees tend towards wanting to make poo poo better. Guess which one has the power and is willing to waste employee time cataloguing dead or obsolete equipment over and over again with no end goal in mind?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This conversation makes me want to go get a couple new-in-box laptops from my store room and throw them from the roof.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The majority of companies gives zero fucks about anything other than number go up. The individual employees tend towards wanting to make poo poo better. Guess which one has the power and is willing to waste employee time cataloguing dead or obsolete equipment over and over again with no end goal in mind?

you can think things are bad even if you are powerless to change them currently

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jewel posted:

you can think things are bad even if you are powerless to change them currently
You misinterpret. Deliberately destroying employer equipment to deny them the ability to waste your time with soul-destroying penny pinching is a subversive act. It is literally smashing capitalism.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

You misinterpret. Deliberately destroying employer equipment to deny them the ability to waste your time with soul-destroying penny pinching is a subversive act. It is literally smashing capitalism.

yeah :sigh:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

I said nothing about it until people started posting about breaking a perfectly good laptop because it was old. Fine, your old blackberries are poo poo and useless. Old laptops? gently caress you, give it to someone who can use it.

Old laptops, while theoretically "perfectly good", are not in fact good to use a lot of the time. They tend to be perfectly good for when they were bought years and years ago, if that. And it's also pretty hosed up to knowingly give charities and such laptops that are too obsolete to handle basic office tasks anymore - you tend to just be saddling those charities with an electronic disposal issue since what they would primarily look for is something that can handle their current day office tasks and web browsing.

Some hypernerd like me might want it solely because of wanting to run esoteric obsolete stuff, but that's not good for the random office worker, or even random kids.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It depends. We upgraded our older laptops to SSD drives and those fuckers fly now. We use them for data acquisition in our labs. We have HP 9480 model laptops still on peoples desks and they work amazing considering how old they are.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a 5 year old office laptop is going to be fine for checking email, light browsing, playing warframe, or watching a movie. it can't handle 20 tab chome or bigass excel tables anymore, but home users don't need that.

Arquinsiel posted:

luddites were only half right, if you want to kill the lizard, you need to smash the head not the tail. also, if we're talking about penny pinching, if an employer is "wasting your time", you should do what they say every time, your time is an order of magnitude more expensive than a bunch of old hardware.

GreenNight posted:

It depends. We upgraded our older laptops to SSD drives and those fuckers fly now. We use them for data acquisition in our labs. We have HP 9480 model laptops still on peoples desks and they work amazing considering how old they are.

yeah, i insisted on SSDs into everything and anything at work some 5 years ago and the response from everyone was amazing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

a 5 year old office laptop is going to be fine for checking email, light browsing, playing warframe, or watching a movie. it can't handle 20 tab chome or bigass excel tables anymore, but home users don't need that.

What kind of bizarre idea of "home users" do you have where they aren't using Chrome and using ungodly resource intensive ad-loaded websites?

"Light browsing" that avoids mainstream overloaded sites/applies filters and blockers to de-suck them, and having the discipline/general knowledge to keep tabs trimmed to a minimum, is more of a power user thing.

GreenNight posted:

That means spending extra money on purchasing SSDs to toss in, and we can be quite sure that tons of the business laptops out there are still saddled with a lovely 5400 rpm drive or something on that level.

The penetration of SSDs is much higher these days so when it comes to deciding whether to hand off 2019 laptops in 2024 or something, that will change. But right now 2014 laptops often got a lot of issues in 2019, especially if they were bought on the cheap in 2014.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have Intel Core Duo laptops with SSD's in use man.

SSD's are cheap as hell.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your FDR testing should be writing "it is dead" times the number of phones and calling it a day.

Arquinsiel posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a shame there weren't any non-swollen batteries. Odd that some appear to be missing, but them's the breaks with old abandoned kit like that.

Shut up Meg posted:

I was hoping I would have a test unit I could point to as "demonstrably too hosed up to even try doing the FDR on". Now I have to get inventive.

Probably just discreetly disappear the batteries...

"Will not power on w/o battery, unit is dead."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

This conversation makes me want to go get a couple new-in-box laptops from my store room and throw them from the roof.

I'll join you if the company pays for it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Arquinsiel posted:

Being able to just trash stuff and then straight-faced blame "improper storage" when asked is an advanced level skill.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not to mention the storage unit migration that got squashed over and over and over and over

I mushed these two replies together when I read them and thought you had a really cunning plan where you put all the old poo poo in a U-Haul trailer, told people you were moving it to a new storage location and then 'accidentally' dropped a forklift off the warehouse roof onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh my god