Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stelas posted:

I remember being concerned that they'd only allow one person to attack at once and miss the whole point of VP, but then what they actually did was let multiple people attack in the buggiest, dumbest way possible.
Come on, details! :munch:

Amppelix posted:

OWH has an extremely cool story for a ... roguelike where you run in one direction constantly. Really makes me wish I liked it more and/or was more into roguelikes, because I only played like 20 or so runs of it, never actually got to the end (or rather, any of the myriad multiple endings beyond the beginner one), and didn't really have desire to continue. Most of what I know about the story is just from reading up on the wiki.
I think I got the "go to the right until you run out of right" ending, but I stalled on the kill the dark wall ending because I slightly hosed up the requirements and would need to start accumulating the things I needed to even trigger it all over again and just put the game down and haven't toucehd it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Araxxor posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Mxny9WzW5eU&ebc

Little Town Hero is not looking so hot. That combat system looks and sounds incredibly awful. Did you ever wish that Mario Party was an RPG? Randomness and bullshit and all?

I actually think it looks interesting but it also sounds like the game is really short and that's not something I'd be down with. I think the fact that it's £25 suggests they're selling it as a smaller game too.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, I dont think I have it in my to finish act 3 of DQXI. I know yall give me guff about not being engaged or dodging narratives in games but I wont lie, something this awful saps my will to keep going and after how mashed potatoes the rest of the game is Im not feeling a burning need for more.

Yea I don't really get the hype for DQ11. It's not terrible or anything - but it's really vanilla. There's so many missed opportunities and you don't really learn much about each place even though you end up in them three times over because of the bizarre way they've made the narrative work.

In other news I tried to replay Nier automata today after dropping it because the tutorial bit annoyed me so much. It's still really annoying for me to play - it barely works with a KBM, the controls are strangely mapped and the map is absolute poo poo. At least for me a good map is probably the top thing in a game because nothing annoys me more than being lost or not knowing where I'm going to be able to walk. That's what killed Wasteland 2 for me too, I couldn't navigate myself because the map was bad.
The game is packed with invisible walls and etc too.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 16, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Araxxor posted:

Did you ever wish that Mario Party was an RPG? Randomness and bullshit and all?

dokapon kingdom owned, fucker

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Culdecept Saga may be one my least favorite games so congrats Little Town Hero for giving me memories of that, you jerk.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Taear posted:

In other news I tried to replay Nier automata today after dropping it because the tutorial bit annoyed me so much. It's still really annoying for me to play - it barely works with a KBM, the controls are strangely mapped and the map is absolute poo poo. At least for me a good map is probably the top thing in a game because nothing annoys me more than being lost or not knowing where I'm going to be able to walk. That's what killed Wasteland 2 for me too, I couldn't navigate myself because the map was bad.
The game is packed with invisible walls and etc too.

the map gets a bit more detailed as you discover new areas but it's never going to be super accurate. i liked the map but i also like that voxel look. unless you mean the game world itself

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mistborn's premise is basically "the chosen became a world-ruling tyrant for a thousand years."

Oh, yeah that was cool, then finding out, if I remember right, that it was actually his right-hand man and adventuring guide that betrayed him and took the mantle instead.

I should read more of that series.

Oh hey Ring Fit Adventure comes out in a couple days.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Looper posted:

the map gets a bit more detailed as you discover new areas but it's never going to be super accurate. i liked the map but i also like that voxel look. unless you mean the game world itself

I mean I look at the map and see a corridor, but there's not actually one there. I use the minimap to navigate myself around and I have a really hard time sort of.... knowing where I am if the map doesn't accurately represent what is in front of me.
So I spend AGES trying to get to the quest markers and eventually just drop it because it's annoying.

Like the bit where you go up the side and jump on the rollercoaster - I tried to interact with the rollercoaster, I couldn't so I assumed I was meant to go somewhere else. The map does present it like you can get to the centre, but you definitely can't without jumping on that.

Morpheus posted:

Oh hey Ring Fit Adventure comes out in a couple days.

And it actually has good reviews!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Agean90 posted:

dokapon kingdom owned, fucker

Yeah, they should make a new Dokapon for the switch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, they should make a new Dokapon for the switch.

What the switch really needs is a modern suikoden and we all know it.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses just really made me want Suikoden in an engine like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shocked that a Western made Nep game actually made it worse

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I kinda liked one of the 'chosen one' stories in Xenoblade Chronicles -

The Nopon village elder declares that one of their citizens, Riki, is the "Legendary Heropon" who must travel with the adventuring party to save the world. This is all complete bullshit because Riki has eleven children and no job. Either he saves the world and makes enough cash in the process to pay off his many, many debts, or he dies and stops having goddamn kids

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lmao my man Riki layin mad pipe even when broke. what a loving king

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I finally got Scias in my party in BoFIV and he kicks rear end. I love how diverse the cast is.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You should never trust the French(-Canadians).
But yeah bad joke aside, I think the devs must have been in over their heads or something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't this also have a VP battle system?

Sounds like VP might be cursed. :tinfoil:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

I finally got Scias in my party in BoFIV and he kicks rear end. I love how diverse the cast is.
Fun fact: in the english version, he's got that stutter

In the original japanese he was constantly drunk

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zereth posted:

Fun fact: in the english version, he's got that stutter

In the original japanese he was constantly drunk

i'm pretty sure he's lapping from a sake cup in his victory animation too

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zereth posted:

Come on, details! :munch:

The game's got a timebar system. You and the enemy both have a gauge that slowly fills up, and you spend a certain amount of it to do an attack. The bar is shared amongst all your party, so there's no reason to do anything but spam whoever has the right elemental weakness. Hitting an elemental weakness gives you more time than you spent, and the bar continues to fill during animations, so in the end you just hammer a single button and call it a day and hope your animations come out faster than the enemy. You can have multiple people attack at once but the game will start having animations run into each other in weird ways, so they'll swing at empty air because the enemy's in the middle of their own attack animation, or it'll just give up and display a damage number and nothing else.

The other poster put it best when calling it 'surprisingly' bad. I like playing nep games but I know what I'm in for, so I went into Super Nep RPG mostly blind but expecting it to be a) simple but ok mechanically, and b) a reasonably amusing romp with a bunch of RPG jokes. Maybe Blanc v. Zombies-level stuff, mindless mashing but kinda fun to roll through once to see all the b-movie shtick.

The game is super sluggish, at least on the basic PS4. Moving around menus has a half-second lag, and if you open the menu too soon after battle you can experience pauses of up to ten seconds while it loads, and then another five seconds waiting for the loading throbbers (really) to resolve into the characters. Platforming is very janky - will Neptune get onto that platform or will she vibrate against the edge, slip out the side, then get stuck in her falling animation? It really feels like a bad flash platformer.

Rather than Lenneth's crystal, Neptune gets a pudding dogoo she can jump off of, which is fine, but it's introduced in a scene where she just stands there and describes jumping higher off of it ([stands there] "Wow, I just jumped super high!"). NPCs will only talk to you if they have a quest and will just say '...' otherwise. The dash just blurs Nep's sprite and floats her forwards and looks super cheap. The backgrounds and areas do look absolutely gorgeous, but there's nothing to indicate which bits of the background are platforms or not. There's not actually a lot of dialogue most of the time, and the references fall really flat because they just kinda do the 'hey let's mention X because you know X, player!' thing. I don't think there's even been any particularly rpg-oriented gags - the longest silly aside was about running around a convention (represented by Blanc standing in a fantasy snowy village talking to herself with 3 NPCs stood nearby)

That's way too many words for a nep game but I'm just baffled at this thing. Mostly I'm just hanging on to see Chrome's deal play out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Didn't this also have a VP battle system?

Sounds like VP might be cursed. :tinfoil:

It is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The curse will only be broken by releasing Valkyrie Profile: Hrist

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stelas posted:

The other poster put it best when calling it 'surprisingly' bad. I like playing nep games but I know what I'm in for, so I went into Super Nep RPG mostly blind but expecting it to be a) simple but ok mechanically, and b) a reasonably amusing romp with a bunch of RPG jokes. Maybe Blanc v. Zombies-level stuff, mindless mashing but kinda fun to roll through once to see all the b-movie shtick.
Yeah, I've only played on Nep game I got on steep sale and it was, yeah, Okay. Nothing seemed horribly wrong with it. This sounds Very Bad. :staredog:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The original Nep was very very bad but when IF realized that they had accidentally made something people actually liked and they put a ton of effort into Nep 2 (relative to their usual at least) and it's a solid JRPG with no major obvious issues, which has held up with all the mainline games since

The spinoffs are of much more varying quality

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rebirth sucked so i have no interest in the others

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I want to like SeHa Girls but the first two hours made me run through Virtua Forest like 7 loving times

I'm pretty sure it has the same layout as Nep 2 or 3 or something

jesus

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

rebirth sucked so i have no interest in the others

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

I want to like SeHa Girls but the first two hours made me run through Virtua Forest like 7 loving times

I'm pretty sure it has the same layout as Nep 2 or 3 or something

jesus

Look they made a whole lot of assets for nep 2 and if they don't make at least 20 games with those assets the investment will never be worth it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stelas posted:

The game's got a timebar system. You and the enemy both have a gauge that slowly fills up

I like that instead of simply making the bar fill up faster, they instead give you a speed up button because clearly that's the better solution. :negative:

And iirc, the sped up combat isn't even super fast and it could've been the default speed to begin with. Just a bunch of baffling decisions in that game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Agean90 posted:

lmao my man Riki layin mad pipe even when broke. what a loving king

The scene where he gives Dunban parenting advice is golden.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

The scene where he gives Dunban parenting advice is golden.

What made Herpon verycool was that he could actually switch off sometimes and be serious. At least as much as a Nopon can be.

WaltherFeng posted:

I like to hook him up with the Master that has that 12-hit combo and let him Zandatsu the poo poo out of everything.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
There's a stream of EGX going right now. They're talking about Romancing Saga 3, Star Ocean First Departure R and right now they are showing some new Trials of Mana gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UykqKzVHYFA

The merchants are dancing, GOTY!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nintendo confirmed the Switch port of TMS is the western version, so even the japanese gets no bikini models.

Weebs are mad, as expected.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weebs can eat it cause the plot of that dungeon is better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RIP vagina bones

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Only thing I'd want is for them to make the wedding dress not look like poo poo but I doubt that's happening.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Wait why is XCOM 2 at EGX?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tae posted:

Nintendo confirmed the Switch port of TMS is the western version, so even the japanese gets no bikini models.

Weebs are mad, as expected.

But mah censorship

How can gamers experience the pure experience as intended by the developers if they can't see the vagina bones of high school girls.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
:xcom:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

RIP vagina bones

Pouring out a very shapely 40 for dead homies

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Only thing I'd want is for them to make the wedding dress not look like poo poo but I doubt that's happening.

Yeah this is the big one I hope they change if they give it any texture touch ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did all the sidequests in TMS and I dont remember the wedding dress because the other garish outfits were way more "please stop wearing this" for me.