Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
At sub $300 used, it's fine for a knobby polysynth. If you like the way it sounds, and you're fine with 12 tet, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
The minilogue got a microtonal update in v2.0 a few months ago

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It probably helps to tell you guys that I'm trying to channel my inner dark ambient muse. Derp.

I'm also looking at the Novation Ultranova and Waldorf Blofeld as well. And a Deepmind. And whatever else looks cool as I'm browsing.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm happy with my Ultranova. Hit me up with any questions you've got. I'm traveling starting tomorrow; I'll try to get back to you next week.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Any Circuit owners that can speak to the parameter locks? How flexible is it compared to the Digitakt? I've been saving up for the Digitakt mostly because I am really drawn to the fact I can lay out a beat and rhythm and then on a per note basis set parameters, and even randomize each parameter and even the note triggering (or not). How deep does the Circuit go in this regard? I may just end up buying both. My end goal is being able to do jamming with lots of slight randomization to keep what would normally be a 10 minute long session to NOT be just the same monotonous sounding tune. Both devices can use samples so that is also important also.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 15, 2019

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Philthy posted:

Any Circuit owners that can speak to the parameter locks? How flexible is it compared to the Digitakt? I've been saving up for the Digitakt mostly because I am really drawn to the fact I can lay out a beat and rhythm and then on a per note basis set parameters, and even randomize each parameter and even the note triggering (or not). How deep does the Circuit go in this regard? I may just end up buying both. My end goal is being able to do jamming with lots of slight randomization to keep what would normally be a 10 minute long session to NOT be just the same monotonous sounding tune. Both devices can use samples so that is also important also.

I haven't used any Elektron stuff, so I can't compare directly, but the parameter locks are slick and easy to use on the Circuit. I don't remember it having conditional triggers, though. (Also, check out the OP-Z, it's got a lot of stuff that's geared toward mixing things up semi-randomly like that.)

Speaking of Novation, the new Launchpads look pretty dope.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm also looking at the Novation Ultranova and Waldorf Blofeld as well. And a Deepmind. And whatever else looks cool as I'm browsing.

I also have an Ultranova and I do like it. I think the sounds are great and is pretty flexible. I got it as my first hardware synth, so I was trying to get away from a computer. But it just feels like working in a plug in to me at times. I do like the keybed. You can use it as a controller, but it has to be connected to a computer running Novation's automap software. It is not MIDI class compliant and requires drivers.

I'd also recommend having nice reverb/modulation pedals. I'm really happy with my Line6 M5 pedal and is great for people wanting to explore different effects.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Some light Eurorack ambience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa5XCMLESkg

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Annnnd I bought a Blofeld.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Haven't posted up anything in ages, work is eating my life and no bonerjamz because I went out of country on vacation. Finally got an old video up, some minimalist lines stewed with the Magneto, an effect using I'm still loving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0wvLGk3CBk

Also I should learn some real video editing skills sometime for something more interesting that what I put up.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Speaking of Novation, the new Launchpads look pretty dope.

I realize it's early days yet, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of info out on the new Launchpad X yet, but given the price and features, does it seem intended to replace the regular Launchpad? Or maybe just be a new option in-between that one and the Pro?

With half the number of controls outside the grid, it doesn't seem like it can do what the Pro does.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like the entire loop industry is some seedy underworld no one talks about. Do professionals go out there and buy them and use them and poo poo out tracks in an hour? What are their primary purpose. I've found some rhythms I've liked and emulated them but I'd feel dirty trying to use one even tho I'm a total basement amateur hobbyist with no aspirations of making it anywhere other than to taco bell.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Housemate has a Rytm MkII he wants to learn, any suggestions for channels and whatnot?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

McCoy Pauley posted:

I realize it's early days yet, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of info out on the new Launchpad X yet, but given the price and features, does it seem intended to replace the regular Launchpad? Or maybe just be a new option in-between that one and the Pro?

With half the number of controls outside the grid, it doesn't seem like it can do what the Pro does.

I think it's meant to replace the standard one. I see what you mean, because it's got some good upgrades over that, but then it doesn't give you as much hands-on control (without touching your mouse/keyboard) as the Pro.

The big poo poo is really the velocity and aftertouch, scale modes and the custom layouts.

The custom poo poo is pretty wild; you basically go into Mario Paint on your computer and drag and drop scales, drum racks, touch faders and other MIDI junk wherever you want. Makes me wish it worked as a straight MIDI controller instead of needing a USB MIDI host, because it could be a great custom controller for all sorts of weird gear on its own that way.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 17, 2019

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I think it's meant to replace the standard one. I see what you mean, because it's got some good upgrades over that, but then it doesn't give you as much hands-on control (without touching your mouse/keyboard) as the Pro.

The big poo poo is really the velocity and aftertouch, scale modes and the custom layouts.

The custom poo poo is pretty wild; you basically go into Mario Paint on your computer and drag and drop scales, drum racks, touch faders and other MIDI junk wherever you want. Makes me wish it worked as a straight MIDI controller instead of needing a USB MIDI host, because it could be a great custom controller for all sorts of weird gear on its own that way.

Yeah, the new stuff sounds awesome, and like it would be worthwhile to get instead of the base model. But the gap remaining between this and the Pro still leaves me with a little uncertainty -- at least as I'm slowly making the journey from "hey, a Launchpad would be a fun toy!" to "well, if I'm going to get one, I probably want the extra features on the Pro" up to (in process at the moment) "well, if I'm going to spring for a Launchpad Pro, I might as well save up some more and get a Push 2."

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
And if you're going to get a Push 2, you might as well get an Akai Force.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm buying a tape machine today

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Philthy posted:

I feel like the entire loop industry is some seedy underworld no one talks about. Do professionals go out there and buy them and use them and poo poo out tracks in an hour? What are their primary purpose. I've found some rhythms I've liked and emulated them but I'd feel dirty trying to use one even tho I'm a total basement amateur hobbyist with no aspirations of making it anywhere other than to taco bell.

If I'm stuck for inspiration I'll have a poke through my loop library and try to recreate stuff- sometimes a part of a melody or something can spark an idea. Other occasions I may try to recreate the sound itself rather than the melody.
Classic breaks are a bit different, I'll chop them up and layer if I'm after a certain vibe.

I have definitely noticed the trend is going towards 'here are seven to twelve full track's worth of stems' with the smaller loops and one shots being considered 'bonus content' which I feel is a bit bogus, and 100% reinforces stereotypes that electronic music is "easy" and "uncreative". There must be a market for them though or else they wouldn't be increasing in number.

Stuff like the Vengeance packs can have their uses if you aren't fussed about rolling your own sounds and want a kick that you can drop into a track and have work pretty much straight off the bat beyond maybe a little volume adjustment then they have that market sewn up. I find this useful if I'm focusing on another aspect of sound design like basses and just want some decentish drums for no effort whilst I tinker with wavetables or whatever.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

NonzeroCircle posted:

I have definitely noticed the trend is going towards 'here are seven to twelve full track's worth of stems' with the smaller loops and one shots being considered 'bonus content' which I feel is a bit bogus, and 100% reinforces stereotypes that electronic music is "easy" and "uncreative". There must be a market for them though or else they wouldn't be increasing in number.

If I was hired to make music for a mall kiosk VR rollercoaster, I would have no compunction about using that kind of stuff.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Shart Carbuncle posted:

No, no -- this is not helping me reach the end of my process.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Shart Carbuncle posted:

If I was hired to make music for a mall kiosk VR rollercoaster, I would have no compunction about using that kind of stuff.

Definitely, it's "product music"- ideal for people who just need music for their app or advert or whatever and don't want/aren't able to license something "proper". For me, it irks me more cos, should I be in the mood to buy a sample pack, I'd rather have one that has 500mb across a couple hundred drum loops and a bunch of oneshots than 1.3Gb that is 1 gig of stems and maybe 20 loops and a dozen kicks.

On a tangent, it's always a bit of a pisser when the oneshots don't include the ones used in the loops- I'll often find a loop with a stonking snare but it's layered a horrid cowbell or something.

The 'Notes from the deadline' pieces in Sound On Sound are great for insight on these ways of more commercial working, where on a brief producer's have been told something like "we want something that sounds exactly like The Prodigy but is not The Prodigy".

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I guess that makes perfect sense. It didn't cross my mind for whatever reason. Marketing dudes all over the place who need music for whatever product they want to promote by the end of the day. I can easily see that. I spent 5 minutes randomly dragging those loops out and made a pretty badass sounding tune.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shart Carbuncle posted:

and if you’re going to spend that much, may as well start buying eurorack instead :getin:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Isn't the Akai Force almost double the price of a Push2? And its also intended for way more than the Push2 ever was, so this seems like quite the gear leap.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MrSargent posted:

Isn't the Akai Force almost double the price of a Push2? And its also intended for way more than the Push2 ever was, so this seems like quite the gear leap.

Look... you're gonna want one eventually anyway, so you might as well just skip all the gear in between and get it now.

Hey I bought a thing:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MrSargent posted:

Yeah, I was joking. People seem pretty lukewarm on the Force, and they have yet to put out the update that makes it work as a Live control surface, so it can’t even really be a Push alternative.

I still think it looks cool. Maybe after a few more software versions it’ll be good.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I guess that makes perfect sense. It didn't cross my mind for whatever reason. Marketing dudes all over the place who need music for whatever product they want to promote by the end of the day. I can easily see that. I spent 5 minutes randomly dragging those loops out and made a pretty badass sounding tune.

Once you have an ear for it, you'll hear the massive amount of stock music out there which is just a guy playing on an Ableton Push quantized to a major scale with new and different sounding instruments.

Or literally just playing a major scale. I'm pretty sure that's most hold music.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Got a Seaboard and it's pretty much the antidote to everything I've ever hated about traditional controllers. It is also approximately 100x more complicated to set up effectively in Reaktor.

Currently I have 8 rows of duplicated osc+env+amp+filter blocks mixed together. I feel like there's probably a better way to do this, but that it requires understanding the non-blocks Reaktor poo poo.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Got the Blofeld yesterday, spent a while getting it connected, but I'll be damned if I can get sound from it. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm a dumb noob so I'm gonna ask for help. Here's the setup:

Arturia Keystep, Windows 10 pc with onboard sound, Blofeld.

Connections: USB from the Keystep and Blofeld.

DAW: Reaper. It sees both devices and they're enabled, with the Keystep as channel 1 and the Blofeld as channel 2.

I add a new track, record monitoring on, recording armed, track 1 input to all channels, I've tried both devices as input.

Midi light on the Blofeld is flickering with key presses, Reaper sees the input, but no sound either via the PC or headphone jack on the synth.

I feel so duuuuuuumb :cry:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There might be a setting on the Blofeld where you need to enable it to respond to midi/USB. I've seen other synths where that's not enabled by default for whatever reason.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uhhhh... Blofeld doesn't do audio over usb!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sorry, didn't see nothing came out of the headphone jack either.

If it's not the system volume and you get this with whatever preset, then it's possible it's damaged. You can destroy the Blofeld's analog outputs with headphones with to high an impedance.

Did you get this second hand?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Midi light might be flickering because it is recognizing your note on/off messages, but the blofield isn't set to receive on that channel. Start digging through menus and reading the manual. In the meantime, keep your troubleshooting chain as simple as possible, controller into blofield (preferably by din), headphones out of blofield.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sorry, didn't see nothing came out of the headphone jack either.

If it's not the system volume and you get this with whatever preset, then it's possible it's damaged. You can destroy the Blofeld's analog outputs with headphones with to high an impedance.

Did you get this second hand?

I got it used on Reverb. I'll run to the music store and snag a couple of midi cables and see if that works.

E: now working through headphones on the usb jack - had to change a channel and device number to match up.

So for audio output to the DAW, I'll need what, something like a Focusrite Scarlett? Right now it gets the MIDI signal but that's it.

I feel like a baby learning to walk...

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 19, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Mr. Dick posted:

Midi light might be flickering because it is recognizing your note on/off messages, but the blofield isn't set to receive on that channel. Start digging through menus and reading the manual. In the meantime, keep your troubleshooting chain as simple as possible, controller into blofield (preferably by din), headphones out of blofield.
Oh, good catch this.

Edit: yeah you'd need an audio interface like the Scarlett

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Audio in on your computer's built in soundcard will work just fine, you'll need a 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter. Latency shouldn't be an issue because the blofield is doing all the processing.

If you want something a little nicer, but still dirt cheap, these things are honestly hard to beat (though you'd need a pair of 1/4'' to rca adapters)

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-UCA222-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B0023BYDHK

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Any news on that new Bonerjams?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Dick posted:

Audio in on your computer's built in soundcard will work just fine, you'll need a 1/4'' to 1/8'' adapter. Latency shouldn't be an issue because the blofield is doing all the processing.

If you want something a little nicer, but still dirt cheap, these things are honestly hard to beat (though you'd need a pair of 1/4'' to rca adapters)

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-UCA222-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B0023BYDHK

And if you want to step up a few of us have the UMC404HD which works really swell as well. I've been using all the ports with my toys and its good stuff. It makes a drat fine soundcard on it's own. The drivers are tiptop and super low latency.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Thanks for all the input guys :glomp:

Was just going through the patches last night and had a ton of inspiration. I thought not having a knob-per-function might be a turn off, but it's pretty straightforward and intuitive with the matrix right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

a mysterious cloak posted:

Thanks for all the input guys :glomp:

Was just going through the patches last night and had a ton of inspiration. I thought not having a knob-per-function might be a turn off, but it's pretty straightforward and intuitive with the matrix right there.

I dunno how old/up to date your blofeld is but if you get bigglesworth you can back up your patches and load the new patches/firmware waldorf released. Word of warning It gave me load of duplicate patches that are slightly different from one another, although thems good for turning into init patches :getin:

http://bigglesworth.it/